Reduced price game guides, all stores. Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
3-17-07 Here should be most of the information that anyone would need in acquiring guides. please read ALL the information below before asking questions. most question are answered below. Again thank you 6669 for all your contributions to this thread and web site.

My wifes web site - Nice jewelry good prices.

www.ladieslovejewelry.com

For hopefully the latestest most current up to date guide drops please refer to the

"CAG Strategy Guide WIKI page"

recent drop section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(recent_drops)

master list section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(master_lists)

they will be filetered from the thread posts to the WIKI page as often as possible. Thank you for your contribution.

Listed in the wiki is the most up to date compiled list of all known guide deals from the posts of this thread and similar threads. I will update the wikis lists as people post new guide deals. Everything listed in this thread “should” be the price listed or lower. These prices are typically company wide price reductions and not YMMV. But just because the prices are typically universal does not mean that they are guaranteed to be sold to you. Most stores have a destroy clause with the guide companies. So whether or not you get these guides depend on many many factors from how diligent a staff is to how reasonable or friendly one is. Good luck on any you may find and good luck on acquiring them. Please dont have a fit if a store wont let you have them just move on. Causing trouble rarely gets guides and most of the time stops others from getting guides in your area. If anything is incorrect or missing please post so corrections can be made.

Now you can just cut, paste, print, and GO!!!

What is a Penny Guide:

To answer this question fully, one first has to understand the longstanding legal agreemenat which [book] publishers have with book sellers such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and other chain and Mom & Pop shops, as well as other retailers who similarly sell their books.

For several decades, publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Random House, et cetera will send out X-number of a title to stores to be sold. After a time, when it is decided that those older titles have little chance of selling and the store shelf real-estate would be better used for newer publications, they issue a recall to the vendors to field destroy all remaining copies of titles A, B & C.

The stores then will pull those titles from their inventory to be field-destroyed, and in their systems mark the publications as 1¢. The 1¢ price is to indicate to the publisher that they are no-longer selling the pulled title, and it is also to serve as a Red Flag to any cashier who might ring up a title (on the chance that the titles were not pulled as legally they were required).

When the pull lists are sent out by the publishers, and the stores adjust the price in their inventory (and pull and field-destroy the books), the stores also are to report to the publisher the number of the books they pulled. (This is generally done at a corporate level.) The publisher then credits the stores full cost of the books.

So lets say, MegaChain orders 8000 copies of the Bread Baker strategy guide for their stores in North America for say, $4 a piece. They owe $32,000 to Publisher X. Bread Baker being a big seller and a hard game, then sells 6000 of those 8000 guides, leaving around 2000 guides on the shelves when Publisher X issues the pull demand. Publisher X then issues MegaChain an $8000 credit for the 2000 unsold copies of the guide.

According to IAmTheCheapestGamer, some retailers also have deals where each copy of pulled titles sent to their recognized Recycling Centers are additionally issued further credit for being environmentally responsible in the manner in which they field destroy each book.

How you can help: You can keep a printed copy of this list in your jacket, wallet, purse whatever and when you go to any store that carries guides look for guides for games that have been out typically around six months or more and ask for a price check or better yet use a store scanner if they are available. If they are anything less than cover price write it down for us. Also please when you post the info here if it looks like it’s a temporary sale, please post that as well otherwise it will be assumed to a be a permanent price reduction. If you scan a guide and it comes up a different price that what the master lists suggests please list the day and store that you had the guide scanned. Also please list if you physically saw a self-scanner’s price, physically saw a cash registers price or vocally heard a price from the store’s staff. This might sound like a lot and of course we will take what we can get but this will go a long way to having the best master list as well as ferreting out different store practices and policy’s. All help is appreciated and thank you.

Trading: I spoke with the post office and found out that the cheapest form of mailing to the 48 contiguous states would be to use “media mail” It will take a little longer but it will also allow the least amount of money per transaction when trying to acquire guides for your collection. For an average guide weight of about 9 oz its $1.42 cents. All you need to do is put it in an envelope and ship it media mail. He mentioned no one should have a problem if you use the same envelope several times to cut down on costs. He also mentioned that when shipping Media mail that you cannot have any personal correspondence in the envelope. Only books and an invoice are acceptable. If trading is in you interest you do whatever is most comfortable for you and your trading party this was merely a FYI and a good way to keep it cheap.

Helpful links to check for reduced priced guides or guides in general. You will likely never find one cent guides here but various discounted guides and possibly some that you have been searching for.

Best Buy

Best Buy guide search

Circuit City

Circuit City guide search

EB Games

EB Games guide search

Gamestop (babages,software etc,funcoland)

Gamestop guide search

Overstock

Overstock guide search

Toys R Us (uhh best link I could find)

Toys R Us guide search

strategy-guides.net (another large site of guides)

strategy-guides.net guide search

bookpool (guides typically 45% off or so )

Book pool guide search

Looking for assistance: I am looking for some staff from Best Buy’s, EB’s, Gamestop’s and stores of the like. When EB Games or Gamestop has a price reduction their shelves can be empty in a day or two to even as little as just a few hours. EB and Gamestop have daily price changes so all depending on the store’s staff they could be all gone almost immediately. If I could get some staff that can either post here first thing any day that they have a price reduction on guides or that might be able to text message me with such price reductions so that I might be able to inform CAG’ers ASAP. Whether or not us the end user would actually be able to get them from a particular stores staff is very much an YMMV but if there is anyone who can help this would greatly increase the chance’s of CAG’ers being able to pick up guides from these locations. If anyone is interested and able to help please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you all for your consideration.

Thank you all for making CAG what it is and for all your contributions.

Disclaimer: This list is intended to help all guide hunters. Please feel free to print yourself a copy and get what you can find. Please do not post this list on another site. {e-mail me please if for some reason you would want to. [email protected]} Please just link to this thread, add to this list and help it grow. Thank you

all guides are now listed in the wiki please go there. thank you.

[quote name='Brian9824']It was cool. I realized today that i had seen a beatmania at store the other day and forgot to get it. So I got a $1.99 Beatmania combo out of my little trip. Fortunately i always check CAG before leaving work for things like this.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Can't believe there was still one of those laying around.

Maybe I'll head out today to hide some of these guides from the BB gestapo.

As of 2/28, there is still posting or message at all listing the guide drop, but we still have 5 days, so like most other drops, they will be posting something either Saturday or Sunday, I'm working both days so I will be to tell you if anything official has been posted.

Another way I can find out, I noticed this last time, is I employee price the guides before they drop, our employee price drops to lessthen a buck, which every guide that was like this was part of the drop, so I will check the ones on the list that left the site. So if they retail normal, but our discount is huge, i'll let you know if anything pops up that way as well.

[quote name='vahn401']As of 2/28, there is still posting or message at all listing the guide drop, but we still have 5 days, so like most other drops, they will be posting something either Saturday or Sunday, I'm working both days so I will be to tell you if anything official has been posted.

Another way I can find out, I noticed this last time, is I employee price the guides before they drop, our employee price drops to lessthen a buck, which every guide that was like this was part of the drop, so I will check the ones on the list that left the site. So if they retail normal, but our discount is huge, i'll let you know if anything pops up that way as well.[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated!!! This could be one of the best .01 drops ever!! Thanks again!

[quote name='loxthefox']BEST BUY ALERT!

The following guides have been removed from the Best Buy website:

Call Of Duty 3
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Red Steel
Resistance: Fall Of Man
The Sims 2: Pets
SOCOM: Combined Assault
Yoshi's Island 2 (both)

Expect price drop soon, if not now.[/quote]

Awe snap, Dead Rising isn't coming up anymore either!!!!

[quote name='loxthefox']BEST BUY ALERT!

The following guides have been removed from the Best Buy website:

Call Of Duty 3
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Red Steel
Yoshi's Island 2 (both)

Expect price drop soon, if not now.[/QUOTE]

Damn, my BB has tons of most of these. Unfortunately, it doesn't have many, if any, FFV, so if someone could keep an eye out for me, appreciated in advance.

[quote name='FRAUD_WHATS_THAT']Awe snap, Dead Rising isn't coming up anymore either!!!![/QUOTE]
looks like it just got pulled as it was there this morning

The Bully guide isn't pulling up on the site either, and I know it was this past weekend. :)

If what we're hearing is right, this is going to be very nice. I'll be in for:

Call of Duty 3
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Resistance
Dead Rising
Bully

Oh yea, this will be very nice.

I just checked a bunch for my hunch on the employee pricing and there isn't much of a difference, so still no guarentee on the drop, but like most other times, if its removed from the site, its usually a good notice. Like said though, I'm working saturday, sunday and monday of the drop, so I will be sure to consistently check for info and be sure to post it as soon as i find out.

Man, my Best Buy NEVER has guides, penny or not. The last time I went about a month or so ago they had like 2 bully guides and one GH2 guide, and that was it. Always a total bust there :(

Well, it looks like I posted my list during the time BB was pulling guides from their site, so there's been some additions to the list.

Bully
Call Of Duty 3
Dead Rising
F.E.A.R.
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Kingdom Hearts II (BOO-YA!)
Pokemon Ranger (Nintendo)
Red Steel
Yoshi's Island 2 (both)

Man, Monday can't get here soon enough!

EDIT:
Here's a few more that might be pennied, if not already:

Madden NFL 07
Saint's Row

One last thing. Does anyone know if the old issues of Gamepro are ever pennied? My store has tons of issues from the last year that have been sitting there.

[quote name='loxthefox']Well, it looks like I posted my list during the time BB was pulling guides from their site, so there's been some additions to the list.

Bully
Call Of Duty 3
Dead Rising
F.E.A.R.
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Pokemon Ranger (Nintendo)
Red Steel
Yoshi's Island 2 (both)

Man, Monday can't get here soon enough![/QUOTE]

KH II FTW!!!!

[quote name='loxthefox']I'm sorry, but I have one last question. Did Best Buy ever penny Madden NFL 07?[/quote]

There was a version of it that did, but i think there are some that are still full price, you can tell if they have been pennied because there is a bar code over the normal UPC, or at least the one that I got that was pennied does, the UPC is

Thats the UPC of the Madden 07' guide I got for a penny, but like said, there are still versions that are full price I believe.

***also, I can't seem to find Saints Row on the site anymore either***

Wow! This will be the sweetest drop I've ever seen at Best Buy. I know my Best Buy has a few Kingdom Heart IIs. If I can just get one of those I will be so happy. I don't think I've ever seen a Guitar Hero 2 guide though. That'd be nice.

[quote name='shiningslade']I don't see Kingdom Hearts II on the site either...nevermind. But Pokemon Ranger IS still on site.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Prima guide is still on the site. However, there was a Nintendo guide that used to be on the site.

Bully
Call Of Duty 3
Dead Rising
F.E.A.R.
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Pokemon Ranger (Nintendo) (Sku: 8124399)
Red Steel
Yoshi's Island 2 (both)

Ok, I went through the store inventory system of all of these guides, and they have all been officially deleted from the system, so stores will no longer be shipped these guides, but this still isn't a hard proof answer to wether they will be dropped yet, but is another thing to tack on that theres a good chance, people of CAG, I can't wait for Monday, or even better, the official announcement of this guide drop, like said, I'll post as soon as I find out.

My local Best Buys are too good @ yanking the guides anymore, though they keep putting back out one or two. And ya know, it's the same way at my local GS stores, where I've been completely stonewalled from buying ANYTHING pennied.

Case in point, tonight I went into the GS that I ran into their DM at, who gave me a talking to about trying to buy items that were pennied. I guess I really HAD earned that rep from them. LOL

Anyway, I go in there to buy some used XBox games for the first time in a long, long time and lo and behold, there's 2 copies of the Bad Day LA PC game on the shelf along with copies of the SOCOM 3 guide.

I swear, I must love irking people, because I went up to that register with BOTH copies of the BD LA pc game knowing what the outcome would be. And sure enough, one of the regular clerks was there who was there when the DM had his little 'conversation' with me.

He practically yells at me, saying HE SHOULD JUST THROW ME OUT for even TRYING to buy the pennied pc games. I just kinda ignored him and laughed saying 'what customer service', I finished my transaction with them and just as I was leaving the register area, I shot back to him that someone isn't doing their job and there's Socom 3 guides on the shelf still.

I LOVE being a true devil customer....

I don't see how it's your fault for trying to buy the stuff when they're supposed to have it pulled off the shelves beforehand.

[quote name='Zennousha']Wow! This will be the sweetest drop I've ever seen at Best Buy. I know my Best Buy has a few Kingdom Heart IIs. If I can just get one of those I will be so happy. I don't think I've ever seen a Guitar Hero 2 guide though. That'd be nice.[/QUOTE]

If you can try and nab me a KH II or Final Fantasy V, both of which are in short supply at mine, I should be able to nab a GHII. As of Monday, there were 6 coppies of that guide on the shelf. The same 6 that have been there for over a month.

[quote name='kevzik']Dang, this drop actually has guides I NEED! Please let there be Dead Rising, KH and Bully![/quote]

well i'll be picking up extras to trade on here to others that can't find any.... if you can't find any i'll trade ya them for other guides ;-)

[quote name='ZForce']I don't see how it's your fault for trying to buy the stuff when they're supposed to have it pulled off the shelves beforehand.[/quote]

Well, because it's company policy and their DM is total hard line on following company policy. However, I still believe that if items that're pennied are yanked, then put back on the shelf, they should be fair game.

They act like I'm a criminal who is out to rob them blind when I come into the local GS stores anymore. LOL

But, I digress.....

Hell, even my local BB stores which are usually great about letting me walk out with 2 of each guide stopped me at the register one of the last times, saying I could have ONE of each.

I've only been buying 1-2 of each lately, not going hog wild like I used to. If I were still hoarding like crazy, I could see why they wouldn't want me being a customer and trying to stop me.

Ah well....spilled milk and such...

[quote name='vahn401']I just checked a bunch for my hunch on the employee pricing and there isn't much of a difference, so still no guarentee on the drop, but like most other times, if its removed from the site, its usually a good notice. Like said though, I'm working saturday, sunday and monday of the drop, so I will be sure to consistently check for info and be sure to post it as soon as i find out.[/QUOTE]

awesome=you. Thanks for all your help vahn!

This seems to good to be true. Is this 100 percent that these are gonna drop. I dont see a lot of the guides on the list dropping this soon. Somebody has to verify this.

[quote name='Ribbercage']This seems to good to be true. Is this 100 percent that these are gonna drop. I dont see a lot of the guides on the list dropping this soon. Somebody has to verify this.[/quote]

I'm sorry to snap but if you read the first post and the last page or so then you'll see that we don't know and have no way of knowing until its in the system. Vahn works at bestbuy so he tells us when he finds out, if not people like me, shrike, roufuss, etc go to bestbuy on monday's to check and report.

There are NO guarantees any guide will be pennied but several of those guides are prime canidates such as KH2 and Dead Rising.

[quote name='Brian9824']I'm sorry to snap but if you read the first post and the last page or so then you'll see that we don't know and have no way of knowing until its in the system. Vahn works at bestbuy so he tells us when he finds out, if not people like me, shrike, roufuss, etc go to bestbuy on monday's to check and report.

There are NO guarantees any guide will be pennied but several of those guides are prime canidates such as KH2 and Dead Rising.[/quote]

Thanks, Thursday and nothing is still posted, and I doubt they will post anything of the drop until Saturday/Sunday, but still, no worries, I'll let you all know, I'm working Saturday-Monday.

[quote name='vahn401']Thanks, Thursday and nothing is still posted, and I doubt they will post anything of the drop until Saturday/Sunday, but still, no worries, I'll let you all know, I'm working Saturday-Monday.[/QUOTE]

:bouncy:
You the man!

[quote name='fairtrade']Ah, man. It's really nice to work an overnight job sometimes. And have Mondays off. :cool:[/quote]
Woah weird... I do too.

I hope this does go through on Monday... I've been itching for the KH2 and FFV guides to drop.

I went penny guide shopping today (and stashed some of the penny-guides-to-be?). I found a guide for Final Fantasy X-2 by Bradygames at a GameStop. I asked for a price check and they said it was still $16. According to the Master List it should be a penny. Hmmm.

hmm, not sure but it might be one of those that went back up. i've seen a couple of those at my local gamestop as well.

on a side note, went to BB today and price checked yoshi's island, at first it rang up "item not found" then she did it again and it came up correctly as normal price. not sure if that's an indication but i guess we'll find out soon. THANKS VAHN!

[quote name='fairtrade']Ah, man. It's really nice to work an overnight job sometimes. And have Mondays off. :cool:[/quote]

It's nice to work from home on Mondays;)

[quote name='dalaamprince']I went penny guide shopping today (and stashed some of the penny-guides-to-be?). I found a guide for Final Fantasy X-2 by Bradygames at a GameStop. I asked for a price check and they said it was still $16. According to the Master List it should be a penny. Hmmm.[/quote]
I'm not positive that ever went down at EB/GS... possibly it was at EB before they merged. I've seen both X and X-2 at several GS stores for regular price.

[quote name='avatar94']I'm not positive that ever went down at EB/GS... possibly it was at EB before they merged. I've seen both X and X-2 at several GS stores for regular price.[/QUOTE]

Could it have been a LE? IDK if there even was an LE of X-2, but I know that's how Xenosaga II was. The LE dropped, then many months later the regular finally dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back