Reduced price game guides, all stores. Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
3-17-07 Here should be most of the information that anyone would need in acquiring guides. please read ALL the information below before asking questions. most question are answered below. Again thank you 6669 for all your contributions to this thread and web site.

My wifes web site - Nice jewelry good prices.

www.ladieslovejewelry.com

For hopefully the latestest most current up to date guide drops please refer to the

"CAG Strategy Guide WIKI page"

recent drop section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(recent_drops)

master list section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(master_lists)

they will be filetered from the thread posts to the WIKI page as often as possible. Thank you for your contribution.

Listed in the wiki is the most up to date compiled list of all known guide deals from the posts of this thread and similar threads. I will update the wikis lists as people post new guide deals. Everything listed in this thread “should” be the price listed or lower. These prices are typically company wide price reductions and not YMMV. But just because the prices are typically universal does not mean that they are guaranteed to be sold to you. Most stores have a destroy clause with the guide companies. So whether or not you get these guides depend on many many factors from how diligent a staff is to how reasonable or friendly one is. Good luck on any you may find and good luck on acquiring them. Please dont have a fit if a store wont let you have them just move on. Causing trouble rarely gets guides and most of the time stops others from getting guides in your area. If anything is incorrect or missing please post so corrections can be made.

Now you can just cut, paste, print, and GO!!!

What is a Penny Guide:

To answer this question fully, one first has to understand the longstanding legal agreemenat which [book] publishers have with book sellers such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and other chain and Mom & Pop shops, as well as other retailers who similarly sell their books.

For several decades, publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Random House, et cetera will send out X-number of a title to stores to be sold. After a time, when it is decided that those older titles have little chance of selling and the store shelf real-estate would be better used for newer publications, they issue a recall to the vendors to field destroy all remaining copies of titles A, B & C.

The stores then will pull those titles from their inventory to be field-destroyed, and in their systems mark the publications as 1¢. The 1¢ price is to indicate to the publisher that they are no-longer selling the pulled title, and it is also to serve as a Red Flag to any cashier who might ring up a title (on the chance that the titles were not pulled as legally they were required).

When the pull lists are sent out by the publishers, and the stores adjust the price in their inventory (and pull and field-destroy the books), the stores also are to report to the publisher the number of the books they pulled. (This is generally done at a corporate level.) The publisher then credits the stores full cost of the books.

So lets say, MegaChain orders 8000 copies of the Bread Baker strategy guide for their stores in North America for say, $4 a piece. They owe $32,000 to Publisher X. Bread Baker being a big seller and a hard game, then sells 6000 of those 8000 guides, leaving around 2000 guides on the shelves when Publisher X issues the pull demand. Publisher X then issues MegaChain an $8000 credit for the 2000 unsold copies of the guide.

According to IAmTheCheapestGamer, some retailers also have deals where each copy of pulled titles sent to their recognized Recycling Centers are additionally issued further credit for being environmentally responsible in the manner in which they field destroy each book.

How you can help: You can keep a printed copy of this list in your jacket, wallet, purse whatever and when you go to any store that carries guides look for guides for games that have been out typically around six months or more and ask for a price check or better yet use a store scanner if they are available. If they are anything less than cover price write it down for us. Also please when you post the info here if it looks like it’s a temporary sale, please post that as well otherwise it will be assumed to a be a permanent price reduction. If you scan a guide and it comes up a different price that what the master lists suggests please list the day and store that you had the guide scanned. Also please list if you physically saw a self-scanner’s price, physically saw a cash registers price or vocally heard a price from the store’s staff. This might sound like a lot and of course we will take what we can get but this will go a long way to having the best master list as well as ferreting out different store practices and policy’s. All help is appreciated and thank you.

Trading: I spoke with the post office and found out that the cheapest form of mailing to the 48 contiguous states would be to use “media mail” It will take a little longer but it will also allow the least amount of money per transaction when trying to acquire guides for your collection. For an average guide weight of about 9 oz its $1.42 cents. All you need to do is put it in an envelope and ship it media mail. He mentioned no one should have a problem if you use the same envelope several times to cut down on costs. He also mentioned that when shipping Media mail that you cannot have any personal correspondence in the envelope. Only books and an invoice are acceptable. If trading is in you interest you do whatever is most comfortable for you and your trading party this was merely a FYI and a good way to keep it cheap.

Helpful links to check for reduced priced guides or guides in general. You will likely never find one cent guides here but various discounted guides and possibly some that you have been searching for.

Best Buy

Best Buy guide search

Circuit City

Circuit City guide search

EB Games

EB Games guide search

Gamestop (babages,software etc,funcoland)

Gamestop guide search

Overstock

Overstock guide search

Toys R Us (uhh best link I could find)

Toys R Us guide search

strategy-guides.net (another large site of guides)

strategy-guides.net guide search

bookpool (guides typically 45% off or so )

Book pool guide search

Looking for assistance: I am looking for some staff from Best Buy’s, EB’s, Gamestop’s and stores of the like. When EB Games or Gamestop has a price reduction their shelves can be empty in a day or two to even as little as just a few hours. EB and Gamestop have daily price changes so all depending on the store’s staff they could be all gone almost immediately. If I could get some staff that can either post here first thing any day that they have a price reduction on guides or that might be able to text message me with such price reductions so that I might be able to inform CAG’ers ASAP. Whether or not us the end user would actually be able to get them from a particular stores staff is very much an YMMV but if there is anyone who can help this would greatly increase the chance’s of CAG’ers being able to pick up guides from these locations. If anyone is interested and able to help please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you all for your consideration.

Thank you all for making CAG what it is and for all your contributions.

Disclaimer: This list is intended to help all guide hunters. Please feel free to print yourself a copy and get what you can find. Please do not post this list on another site. {e-mail me please if for some reason you would want to. [email protected]} Please just link to this thread, add to this list and help it grow. Thank you

all guides are now listed in the wiki please go there. thank you.

[quote name='Kuros']We should really find out who leaks crap to SD and FW and give them a good dong-thumping.[/quote] Good luck on that one.

It's not the OP of the SD thread (which is over here: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=464887 ) that's the huge asshole, it's these two geniuses:

Posts the link to this thread (at least he credits us with the thread):
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=5852761&postcount=9

Asks for the entire list from here to be posted (the real asshole):
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=5853236&postcount=14

So, if you're lurking from SD, go back to where you came from.

[quote name='shipwreck']I wouldn't worry about it too much. This type of stuff is actually somewhat good to be leaked. SD/FWs will see this huge list, not believe it, go to the stores, find nothing, and discount CAG in the future.[/quote]
That's the hope, at least.

[quote name='caedeskhan']this drop has been posted on SD...hope you guys already got the guides. I managed to get most of the stuff on the list, including some FFV guides.[/quote]

Fracking A, SD posts kill deals!!! Well it doesn't matter anyways cuz this was the first time i was ZEROED OUT for getting guides off the shelf!! I have three BB in my area and i always goto the one in BFE cuz it's a super small town and nobody shops there so there's always a ton of every guide when they drop. Walked in the door at literally 10am sharp. Went straight to the guide sections, all had been removed except the main one by the PC games. All guides had been pulled except a Kindom Hearts 2. Sitting on a shelf was a printout of all the guides on the drop, stashed it in the KH2 guide and purchased for one penny. The paper was dated and printed today about 2 hours before store opening and it said,"Strategy Guides Junkout 3/5/07.....Pull, process as junkout and destroy in field. Guides must be disposed of immediately in the store trash compator or trashing dumpter has a cardboard only compactor."

So then i went to the next BB where they are ALWAYS PULLED where i hide a few, was able to get 4 guides because my other stash was behind the Wii. I guess a bunch sold cuz was a big space there and of course all my COD3 guides were gone. Went to 3rd BB where i usually score as well and ZERO GUIDES ON SHELF.

I think this may be the end of penny guides with BB making a big deal about field destroying and plus the jackass who's posting this info on huge deal sites!

I'm about to cry, i just wanted Dead Rising, Call of Duty 3 ,and Saints Row!! This is the worst drop i've ever gone out on, okay, i'm crying now, everyone turn away, i'm a grown man and i'm balling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Kuros']We should really find out who leaks crap to SD and FW and give them a good dong-thumping.[/quote]

lol well, let's keep making the thread longer....no deal in that thread...:bouncy:

[quote name='shrike4242']Good luck on that one.

It's not the OP of the SD thread (which is over here: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=464887 ) that's the huge asshole, it's these two geniuses:

Posts the link to this thread (at least he credits us with the thread):
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=5852761&postcount=9

Asks for the entire list from here to be posted (the real asshole):
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=5853236&postcount=14

So, if you're lurking from SD, go back to where you came from.

That's the hope, at least.[/QUOTE]

I'll just have to invent something that can crotch punch people over the internet. I'll will give it to no one.

[quote name='shrike4242']So, if you're lurking from SD, go back to where you came from.[/quote]
That would be GoldenDragon.

[quote name='GoldenDragon']I am happy for trash collector/buyer. They are making benefit from this since BB denied the guide from their customer!!!! YES I bought these guide at swapmeet for $1 each...[/quote]
He's been a member here longer but judging by his posts on SD he lurks here and gives it all away there.

*COUGH*banhim*COUGH*

Wow, that thread on SD is so bogus....the guy walks in the door and there's a shopping cart full of guides that says FREE....what a liar!!!!

scored a bunch. they all got pulled and placed on a cart. I got all i can carry. still a bunch more there. go rescue the guides before they trash it. they are at the bb that is right where you get off the east side of the bay bridge. good luck

[quote name='sacreddoctor']Wow, that thread on SD is so bogus....the guy walks in the door and there's a shopping cart full of guides that says FREE....what a liar!!!![/quote]
Actually, that has happened at some BB's. Some do hand them out as a freebie, some of them have done it as a "free guide with purchase of game", and others let them go for a penny.

If you've been here longer than your join date, you'd know this is the case.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, that has happened at some BB's. Some do hand them out as a freebie, some of them have done it as a "free guide with purchase of game", and others let them go for a penny.

If you've been here longer than your join date, you'd know this is the case.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see someone just start pushing the cart over to the register.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, that has happened at some BB's. Some do hand them out as a freebie, some of them have done it as a "free guide with purchase of game", and others let them go for a penny.

If you've been here longer than your join date, you'd know this is the case.[/QUOTE]

I've seen them marked on the shelf at .01, and one Best Buy had a table in front of the register that said "FREE WITH PURCHASE" and had a ton of guides there, but the cashier just let me buy them all for .01 each.

Lately though it's impossible to get them around here, at least for me, so I trade with a friend who has much better luck than I. Which is fortunate because this drop had a ton of guides I wanted ;)

And yes, I've also grabbed guides out of the cart when no one is looking, I had my gf at the time distract the employee with a question and when they walked away to look it up on the computer I grabbed a ton of stuff out of the cart and took it to the register :lol:

Why can't Mr. Asshole from SD just come over here and copy/paste? Has he already been banned from our site or something? Just curious.

As for .01 lists getting listed on SD/FW, it's happened several times before with no real affect to our hunting. Of course with the recent BB clearance, who knows what'll happen this go around. Might be a good thing that most of these have been pulled this go around.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'd love to see someone just start pushing the cart over to the register.[/quote]
I would, without a second thought. :D

[quote name='Roufuss']I've seen them marked on the shelf at .01, and one Best Buy had a table in front of the register that said "FREE WITH PURCHASE" and had a ton of guides there, but the cashier just let me buy them all for .01 each.

Lately though it's impossible to get them around here, at least for me, so I trade with a friend who has much better luck than I. Which is fortunate because this drop had a ton of guides I wanted ;)

And yes, I've also grabbed guides out of the cart when no one is looking, I had my gf at the time distract the employee with a question and when they walked away to look it up on the computer I grabbed a ton of stuff out of the cart and took it to the register :lol:[/quote]
Yeah, enjoy that DR guide. :razz: Beat me to the punch on that one, though hopefully, other sources will take care of that for me. :D

I've done the guide-grab-and-run before myself, though the media guy at my local BB is a gamer, and he's on top of things. :cry:

If you've been here longer than your join date, you'd know this is the case.[/quote]

yeah i'm new and i've never heard of them putting them in a cart and giving them away...plus i found a printout in the guide section at the first BB i went to that had been pulled clean......
[quote name='sacreddoctor']Sitting on a shelf was a printout of all the guides on the drop, stashed it in the KH2 guide and purchased for one penny. The paper was dated and printed today about 2 hours before store opening and it said,"Strategy Guides Junkout 3/5/07.....Pull, process as junkout and destroy in field. Guides must be disposed of immediately in the store trash compator or trashing dumpter has a cardboard only compactor."[/quote]

So i find it highly unlikely that a BB would put this in the cart when this memo clearly tells them to destroy and Vahn posted yesterday that this drop was more publicized to the media dept than earlier drops were!

New set of guides dropped to 9.99 today also:

MK Armageddon
NFS: Carbon
Scarface
LSW II
Rainbow Six Vegas
TCS: Double Agent

I know the last two were already at 9.99

Being as how BB pulled a shitton of guides this time around, if you really want any of these guides you could always pick up for 4.99 with the BB GamePro coupons. Otherwise roll the dice in a month.

[quote name='Roufuss']And yes, I've also grabbed guides out of the cart when no one is looking, I had my gf at the time distract the employee with a question and when they walked away to look it up on the computer I grabbed a ton of stuff out of the cart and took it to the register :lol:[/quote]

Bonnie and Clyde!

Already pmed some of you, but would like a Bully and Yoshi's guide (large version). Also still looking for N SMB, and Animal Crossing (DS). Please see my list, and will also add these:
FEAR, Call of Duty 3, Resistance, and Red Steel.

Thanks.

[quote name='neocisco']That would be GoldenDragon.

He's been a member here longer but judging by his posts on SD he lurks here and gives it all away there.

*COUGH*banhim*COUGH*[/quote]

I second this motion. All in favor...

Some people are complaining that this might be the end of penny guides...I'm pretty sure that this cry is heard every three or four months...so I'm not concerned. In fact, I've had a heck of a lot more luck recently that I have in the last 12 - 18 months...I guess it just comes in waves... (that's what she said)

In fact the BB I usually go to still has Prey and Enchanted Arms guides (many of them) on the shelves...

I found everything on the BB drop list:

Bully
Call of Duty 3
Dead Rising
Elder Scross IV: Oblivion
F.E.A.R.
Final Fantasy V
Guitar Hero 2
Kingdom Hearts II
Pokemon Ranger
Red Steel
Resistence
Saints Row
Sims 2: Pets
Socom: Combined Assault
Yoshi's Island (both types)

I hit two TRU and found nothing, I am really looking for Animal Crossing for DS.

Since when do our guide drops get posted on fucking SD! Christ, they are now taking everything from us! Can't those lame ass find deals themselves...maybe not because of how dumb those members are...I AM fuckING PISSED. I will do somehting about this when I get back. SD is a sad forum. What a joke.

Okay so i was able to get at BB due to stashing a few;

Guitar Hero 2 x2
Kindom Hearts
Pokemon Ranger

Went to TRU and got;

NBA 07 x3
NCAA 07 x3
Battlefield 2

So this was pretty dissapointing to 1) not get anything i wanted and 2) know that BB put out a memo stating for alls these to be immediately field destroyed.

p.s. i don't think it'll do any good to ban anyone who is leaking info cuz they are probably doing it cuz they're pissed at CAG for some reason and the only reason i can see them getting pissed is cuz one of the mods banned him/her for a reason the leaker thought was petty and if they are able to get back on her to lurk and then leak the deals then it won't matter if you ban them again, and again, and again, best thing to do is to keep this info top secret from now on. I'd be more than happy to NOT know about drops until the the afternoon on the day they happen to keep SDers and FWers from hoarding all these. Sad thing is i just want a few guides for the games i got and the games i want.

Wish i could have gotten Dead Rising, COD3, Saints Row, or FEAR, anyone with extras would be appreciated!

[quote name='sacreddoctor']

p.s. i don't think it'll do any good to ban anyone who is leaking info cuz they are probably doing it cuz they're pissed at CAG for some reason and the only reason i can see them getting pissed is cuz one of the mods banned him/her for a reason the leaker thought was petty and if they are able to get back on her to lurk and then leak the deals then it won't matter if you ban them again, and again, and again, best thing to do is to keep this info top secret from now on. I'd be more than happy to NOT know about drops until the the afternoon on the day they happen to keep SDers and FWers from hoarding all these. Sad thing is i just want a few guides for the games i got and the games i want.

Wish i could have gotten Dead Rising, COD3, Saints Row, or FEAR, anyone with extras would be appreciated![/quote]

Banning does work since Cag does an IP address ban, so matter how many screennames they come up with, as long as it's from the same house/business, they still can't get in. And as for not knowing in advance, I'd actually rather know in advance since (a) you can hide stuff from employees AND horders and (b) Noone can price match ahead of time, so you've still got a fair chance assuming employees don't pull them first.

[quote name='sacreddoctor']

Wish i could have gotten Dead Rising, COD3, Saints Row, or FEAR, anyone with extras would be appreciated![/quote]

Wow Great insight can we call you SD for short :D

It doesn't bother me that these deals get posted else where. What bothers me is all the damn soccer moms and ebay horders that run out and buy all the deals just for resale.

Which wouldn't be a big deal if it worth resaling but making $1 off a guide after ebay fees and shipping is just stupid.

[quote name='jgamezcua']New set of guides dropped to 9.99 today also:

MK Armageddon
NFS: Carbon
Scarface
LSW II
Rainbow Six Vegas
TCS: Double Agent

I know the last two were already at 9.99

Being as how BB pulled a shitton of guides this time around, if you really want any of these guides you could always pick up for 4.99 with the BB GamePro coupons. Otherwise roll the dice in a month.[/quote]
I was so glad to pick these up when they were all on-sale with the Prima $10 off sale a couple of months back, and with the Wii/PS3 accessory coupons, they were $1.99 each. :D Save the R6V and TCS: DA guide, which were $4.99 AC with the Prima $5 off coupons.

I'll pick up guides for $4.99, though beyond that point, it's a hard sell for me.

I got these...

Yoshis Island (x4) 3 pocket ones, one large one
Bully (x2)
Saints Row
Guitar Hero 2
FFV Advance - (x3)
Dead Rising
Kingdom Hearts 2
Pokemon Ranger
F.E.A.R
Resistance

ones without x# are my only ones.
send me a PM if youre interested in any.. I think I'm going to keep DR, one of the Bullys and KH2.. but if you want any of the others LMK.

[quote name='kevzik']Since when do our guide drops get posted on fucking SD! Christ, they are now taking everything from us! Can't those lame ass find deals themselves...maybe not because of how dumb those members are...I AM fuckING PISSED. I will do somehting about this when I get back. SD is a sad forum. What a joke.[/quote]
Oh, this drop list has been posted, with the usual muttering about what nice people we are :roll: :

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=5854409&postcount=27

I had to drive all around town today for work so was able to hit 4 BB's. Out of 4, only one store still had guides on the shelves. The store I popped into at 10:05AM already had a worker pulling the guides off the shelves, throwing them in a cart and wheeling them into the backroom. I didn't even bother to ask her for any. At the one store I did manage to score:

Kingdom HeartsII
Red Steel
Resistance x2
Final Fantasy V x3
Bully
Guitar Hero II

The store still had plenty of Red Steel and Pokemon Rangers on the shelves, didn't care about those and didn't want to hoard.

The only other one I really wanted was Dead Rising.

[quote name='neocisco']That would be GoldenDragon.

*COUGH*banhim*COUGH*[/quote]

I did not do stupid thing and I think you just posted the list at that SD topic you AXXHOLE!!!!

Well, I got every guide I wanted from best Buy and now that I am looking at this thread again, I am going to have to go back out to TRU now since I did not even know about those guides.

The only guide I didn't get was Pokemon Ranger as it was ringing up at full price at the 3 best buys I went to today. It seems I was the only one to encounter this problem though.

I am sooo fucking pissed right now. I have always been able to find guides at my BB and today I COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE ONE! This would of been the best drop for me too! I WANTED A DEADRISING SO BAD! I don't get it...either the newly SD thread fucked me over or BB actually found this and pulled them before they opened today (would be a first). Looks like a need to make up a new guide list now....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SLICK DEALS, GET READY! THIS IS WAR!

[quote name='kevzik']I am sooo fucking pissed right now. I have always been able to find guides at my BB and today I COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE ONE! This would of been the best drop for me too! I WANTED A DEADRISING SO BAD! I don't get it...either the newly SD thread fucked me over or BB actually found this and pulled them before they opened today (would be a first). Looks like a need to make up a new guide list now....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SLICK DEALS, GET READY! THIS IS WAR![/quote]

like i posted earlier, i found a memo going out to the media dept saying to destroy all these guides, it was dated today and printed out 2 hours before store opening. This was the first drop that i ZEROED OUT ON!!!

[quote name='michaema']Wow Great insight can we call you SD for short :D[/quote]

wtf does that mean? Oh and btw, it's easy as pie to change or mask your ip which is obviously what the person(s) that are posting our info on.

imo, why goto all this work to compile all this info for it to be stolen/leaked to another site. i say we keep all info private!!!!

i say we kill this thread, stop posting info!!! we all know we can price check and go from there!! IN fact right now i'm sure there's dozens of SDers and FWers who have followed the link to this site, signed up under some hoarder/ebayer name and are stealing the info right now!!!

[quote name='freshzen']Prepster the Prima guide will ring up as full price ;)[/quote]

Ahh alright lmao, thanks for letting me know :lol:

[quote name='Warner1281']Banning does work since Cag does an IP address ban, so matter how many screennames they come up with, as long as it's from the same house/business, they still can't get in. And as for not knowing in advance, I'd actually rather know in advance since (a) you can hide stuff from employees AND horders and (b) Noone can price match ahead of time, so you've still got a fair chance assuming employees don't pull them first.[/quote]

Check IP? Stupid NERD that know jacksht about Cheap Ass DSL/CABLE. Most of the cheap DSL plans are DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS. And STATIC one cost an extra $15 + monthly fee!!!!!!!!!!

Wow... this thread really is devolving into something pretty sad.

CAG probably has just as many hoarders / lurkers as SD, they just aren't as vocal.

The drop list was posted at SD way after we already knew about it... CAG's either got the guides or the guides were pulled by employees long before SD even knew about this.

Best Buy has gotten more strict about guide pulls, this is also a fact.

CAG isn't quite the saintly community everybody thinks it is, just because a few outspoken members speak out against hoarding... it's just something that happens because this site has gotten huge. I guarantee there are just as many hoarders / resellers here as any other site, hell, I just encountered one today at Circuit City that I overheard talking about CAG.

Kevzik, I think you need to take a huge chill pill... lots of people on this site got extras, just get a TL together and start working on trading, it's not the end of the world. Ditto goes for that other guy who wants to just "scrap the guide thread"... cmon people.

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow... this thread really is devolving into something pretty sad.

CAG probably has just as many hoarders / lurkers as SD, they just aren't as vocal.

CAG isn't quite the saintly community everybody thinks it is, just because a few outspoken members speak out against hoarding... it's just something that happens because this site has gotten huge. I guarantee there are just as many hoarders / resellers here as any other site, hell, I just encountered one today at Circuit City that I overheard talking about CAG.
[/quote]Even worse in the last 12 months, maybe even the last 6 months.

[quote name='kevzik']I am sooo fucking pissed right now. I have always been able to find guides at my BB and today I COULDN'T FIND A SINGLE ONE! This would of been the best drop for me too! I WANTED A DEADRISING SO BAD! I don't get it...either the newly SD thread fucked me over or BB actually found this and pulled them before they opened today (would be a first). Looks like a need to make up a new guide list now....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SLICK DEALS, GET READY! THIS IS WAR![/quote]

Like Roufuss mentioned, chill man. My BB has always been a breeze to snag guides at too, HOWEVER today, when I got there five minutes after they opened, an employee was already pulling the guides and taking them away. BB was on this drop QUICK, so it was more than likely BB getting the memo early and acting on it, rather then some evil SDers snagging the guides from your local BB.

[quote name='shrike4242']Even worse in the last 12 months, maybe even the last 6 months.[/QUOTE]

I'd say I personally noticed it once the Playstation 3 fiasco where people were getting thousands for it, and every news site ran with it, many many people suddenly became "Ebay savvy" and now a sale dosen't go by, at least around here, where it dosen't get pounced on ASAP. Every huge sale brings many more people who are just in it for a quick profit.

I just think it's hilarious people think hoarders ONLY come from SD + FW, and they are so bad for quoting our deals... a lot of deals on CAG are ripped from other places, as well, that's just how the internet works. You think people would be used to it by now.

Sure, it sucks that our guides are on SD, but I guarantee just as many lurkers here already had a list and grabbed as many guides as they can for a quick turnaround.

You just have to start thinking of ways around this... many people stashed guides because we knew way ahead of time about these drops. I have friends who have connections who I trade guides with, as well as other CAG's who will help me get stuff. It's all about outsmarting everyone else... I don't even bother going to Best Buy anymore because I know my store pulls everything ASAP.

This is the 3rd Best Buy guide drop I've just been able to trade for and I haven't had a problem getting the guides I've wanted, because other CAG's have better luck at their Best Buy's then I do.

I got the Perfect Dark Guide for 1 cent today. The lady at Customer Service called the manager over because she couldn't believe it was a penny. After deliberation they just decided to give it to me...

I even CHARGED IT!!!!:bouncy:

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow... this thread really is devolving into something pretty sad.

The drop list was posted at SD way after we already knew about it... CAG's either got the guides or the guides were pulled by employees long before SD even knew about this.

Best Buy has gotten more strict about guide pulls, this is also a fact.

Kevzik, I think you need to take a huge chill pill... lots of people on this site got extras, just get a TL together and start working on trading, it's not the end of the world. Ditto goes for that other guy who wants to just "scrap the guide thread"... cmon people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing when reading this thread off and on today. People are blowing this WAAAAY out of proportion. BB cracked down. Pure and simple. This isn't something you can nail as being other sites' "fault" at all. It doesn't matter if people on other sites know about it as we all know these have pretty much zero resale value anyways. So it's not like they can run out, buy them, and make money off them. That simply doesn't happen. We've all known it for ages. They'll realize that there is no profit to be had either and we can all get back to trading...provided we can even get the guides much longer that is.

[quote name='shrike4242']I was so glad to pick these up when they were all on-sale with the Prima $10 off sale a couple of months back, and with the Wii/PS3 accessory coupons, they were $1.99 each. :D Save the R6V and TCS: DA guide, which were $4.99 AC with the Prima $5 off coupons.

I'll pick up guides for $4.99, though beyond that point, it's a hard sell for me.[/quote]

Same here, I remember some posts about how even $1.99 was too much for a guide but it's worth it for a guide you really want if you don't want to run the risk of getting not even one when they get clearanced. Trading is gonna cost you at least $1.50 media mail anyway.

Haven't had time to read through this all, but this was the first guide drop in a while that I tried to participate in because my Best Buy's are pretty good about pulling things. I just didn't feel like making the 30 mile round trip yesterday to hide them only to do it again today to buy them. So I took my chances. Struck out at the first one - t'was a bad sign when I went to the guide rack and it was all very neatly organized with each guide offset by exactly 2 inches from every other and thus spread to cover the entire rack. Only things like Sonic and the Secret Rings, the wrong version(s) of Oblivion, Crackdown, etc... They had clearly pulled them and an employee verified that they pulled them in the AM (I was there just after opening) after I asked for a KH II guide.

So I decided to drive WAY out to an out of the way store. Lo and behold, snagged me a KH II, Red Steel, and Saints Row there. Whoo-hooo! No Yoshi, Oblivion, Bully, of FF V which were on the top of my list with KH II. Willing to trade of course, and will have my list updated shortly. The cool thing was that this store actually had several clearance games still left in stock :shock:. Of course, this is the one store I didn't go to last week! Then I hit up a third store looking for the other guides and like the first, it had been sanitized, and had NO clearance stuff to boot. However, I did pick up a few cheap games at the CompUSA next door that is one of the ones that is closing ;).

Overall, a moderately successful run (which will be wholly successful if I can trade for what I need) and nearly an entire day of missed work :cry:. Will have to make that up tonight instead of playing any of these games.

But anyway, in the future, I know which store to try first (though, unfortunately, it is the farthest from me).

Aight, so the consenses is that it's okay that SD + FW + every other deal site posts these deals and it won't effect our chances of getting these? You have to be kidding. Sure there's the hoarders who are in the closet around here but i'd be happy to compete with a few fellow brother CAGs vs thousands and thousands of SDers and FWers. Those who say we should keep posting this info are great candidates for the ones spreading this info onto the other sites.

NOw i'm NOT trying to blame SD or FW for alot of us getting shot down today cuz as i've said before i found a memo requiring the media dept at BB to destory all guides on this drop....dang, why am i giving out any info. It'll probably just be posted on SD within mins. Never mind, i give up putting my two cents in around here. NO wonder those that leak our deals!!!!

[quote name='sacreddoctor']Aight, so the consenses is that it's okay that SD + FW + every other deal site posts these deals and it won't effect our chances of getting these? You have to be kidding. Sure there's the hoarders who are in the closet around here but i'd be happy to compete with a few fellow brother CAGs vs thousands and thousands of SDers and FWers. Those who say we should keep posting this info are great candidates for the ones spreading this info onto the other sites.

NOw i'm NOT trying to blame SD or FW for alot of us getting shot down today cuz as i've said before i found a memo requiring the media dept at BB to destory all guides on this drop....dang, why am i giving out any info. It'll probably just be posted on SD within mins. Never mind, i give up putting my two cents in around here. NO wonder those that leak our deals!!!![/QUOTE]

You've been a member since Feb. 2007.

Shut up.

I hope you realize that "fellow brother CAG" is probably more apt to list shit on Ebay for a quick profit just as quickly as that person from FW or SD... you talk like you knew how CAG used to be when you've only been a member for a fucking month.

You act like you're the first to discover this memo at Best Buy. You're not. Nobody also cares about your stupid memo, we all knew Best Buy was cracking down before you even joined.

You are saying that because I like to get a heads up on guide drops I'm a canidate for leaking shit on SD? You're a moron.

Without CAG, and without Vahn in particular, you wouldn't even know where to look for these fucking guides, so quit acting like you could do this on your own (you can't) and like you've provided any sort of valuable information at all (you haven't).

Wow. This guide drop was pretty crappy for me. I went to 8-9 BBs and 4 TRUs and don't think I got even 2 sets of the BB guides. Only 2 stores had even full sets (it figures it was 2 of the last 3 :cry:), and 1 of them denied me the purchase (let me pick 2 for the inconvenience, but it still sucked), the rest had pulled them so don't bother w/ these stores if you're in Houston, TX:

TRU on 59S across from Deerbrook Mall (had stuff, may be pulled now)
TRU on 1960 @ 249 (nada)
TRU on Katy Fwy (had stuff, may be pulled now)
TRU in the Woodlands (had stuff, may be pulled now)
BB in Greenspoint (nada)
BB in Spring (got the last couple random items they missed)
BB in the Woodlands (got the last couple random items they missed)
BB on 290 (near W. Tidwell I believe) (nada)
BB on 59S across from Deerbrook Mall (had a lot but this is where I was denied the sale, probably pulled now)
BB (2x) on SR-6 (there are 2 of them and I think both were a bust, the one closer to 290 may have had the 1 set I got but it might have been the BB on 1960 near 249)
BB on 1960 near 249 (might have gotten my 1 set here, I forget, probably pulled now)

Oh, well, my only complaints are that I couldn't find a mint copy of Bully and still couldn't find a copy of Animal Crossing. I would've totally cried had I not found at least 1 FFV (y'know, in a manly, sentimental kind of way). I may still stop by TRU and BB near Garth Rd. in Baytown tonight.

On the bright side I found some kind of LE / special edition copy of Xenosaga III w/ a hologram cover at BB w/ the same UPC as the normal version I picked up at CC. Bonus.

I agree Roofus, the hoarders are mostly likely trolling this board as much as the others. Back when it was a small community the odds of this were lower. But now there are tens of thousands of CAGs so you can pretty much expect that there must be several hundred who just hoard and resell.

I know one thing's for certain.

Time for a new thread, once the two guide drops settle down in the next couple of days, and when the Wiki's been updated.

Leave some of this mess behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back