Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Eight(MODS: Please lock, Thread Nine is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(current one):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(please keep all conversation NOT related to guide drops HERE. Thanks.): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists:

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:
Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
B&N
BestBuy
Borders
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuide.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, who did threads 3,4,5 and 6 and provided me with the links to them.

Thanks to Gwen for allowing me the honor of giving something back to CAG by doing this new guide thread. I hope you all enjoy it and it isn't TOO hard to read.

[quote name='yamas']Anybody checking BB today?[/quote]

Being as they just had a major drop a couple weeks back, I highly doubt they'd have another today already.

[quote name='yamas']I'll try to check a few[/QUOTE]

To be honest, all of the "good guides" appear to be regular price on the site, so it isn't really worth it.

The TRU Twilight Princess guide is the same Premiere Edition NP Twilight Princess Guide for the GameCube (brown cover) that pennied at Best Buy a while back that no one could find. I got shot down at my TRU for it =(

However, the people at TRU told me that Smash Bros Brawl pre-orders get the guide free as well as a second Wii game for half the price. I'd consider that to be topical, wouldn't you?

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']

However, the people at TRU told me that Smash Bros Brawl pre-orders get the guide free as well as a second Wii game for half the price. I'd consider that to be topical, wouldn't you?[/QUOTE]

any more info on that? That would be the best deal for Brawl

Best Buy had a few down to a penny TODAY. Off the top of my head was

Unreal Tournament 3
Gears Of War
Enemy Territory Quake Wars

there was a FEW more but I can not recall them off the top of my head. Maybe they will come to me... I did pull them from the shelf this morning :bouncy:

[quote name='fuss']Best Buy had a few down to a penny TODAY. Off the top of my head was

Unreal Tournament 3
Gears Of War
Enemy Territory Quake Wars

there was a FEW more but I can not recall them off the top of my head. Maybe they will come to me... I did pull them from the shelf this morning :bouncy:[/quote]

I need those- can anyone confirm this is not a YMMV?

Another one was a smaller guide... I think it may have been a PC game guide since it was over in teh PC section... had a bunch of orange on it. I think somehting to do with war? if you throw out some names maybe it will come to me lol.

Sorry guys I am not being that much help. I was tired and sick this morning and I thought this info would have already been here.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Universe At War?[/quote]

Ya, that looks like it... that is ot a "full size" guide correct? It was a few inches smaller than the normal guides, but not small like the 2007 codes books.

The BB website still has these guides normally priced and in stock. Not sure if that means anything but I do know the last set of guides that were pennied from BB were shown as backordered on the website.

slowy these are popping up in my head.. sorry it was a rough morning for me...

Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa was another one. I added this to my first post.

I lied. My connection stinks. :bomb:

I'll have to bring the laptop to ABC this week, or I'll just ask Mike to make a new thread when this one hits 500 posts.

Great, I was at my BB last friday and probably won't make it up there for a few more weeks.

Does Borders penny their guides?

I can confirm the following game guides to be at $00.01 at Best Buy:

Lair (Game Guide)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Game Guide)
Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars (Game Guide)
Gears of War (Game Guide)
Heavenly Sword (Game Guide)
The Sims 2: Castaway (Game Guide)
Madden NFL 08 (Game Guide)
Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa (Game Guide)

Best Buy Game Guide List

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I can confirm UT3, only one left at my ATL bestbuy.[/quote]

Weird, I did not see UT3 for a penny when I searched. I'll go back later tonight and double-check since it's close by.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']It wasn't tagged 00.01 it was still stickered full price. I took it to a rep and had it scanned.[/quote]

Same for most of the guides I saw shelved.

Gears of War $19.99 & Tabula Rasa $24.99...got rung up for 2 cents. :D

Is it the gears of war that has the orange banner midway down that says
"Now updated for windows" ?

I know that is the only one my local BB has, and that would be cool if it was .01

[quote name='SpeedBrkr']I can confirm the following game guides to be at $00.01 at Best Buy:

Lair (Game Guide)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Game Guide)
Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars (Game Guide)
Gears of War (Game Guide)
Heavenly Sword (Game Guide)
The Sims 2: Castaway (Game Guide)
Madden NFL 08 (Game Guide)
Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa (Game Guide)

Best Buy Game Guide List

Just got back from checking and can confirm that the Unreal Tournament 3 (Game Guide) is $00.01, picked up a couple myself. =D

The reason I missed this in the first place is because when you do a search at the BB kiosk the guide doesn't show up at all.

Dave4086: Yes, it is the Gears of War (Game Guide) with the "Now Updated For Windows" message on it.

I'm going to a concert that is less than a mile from a BB store on thursday....I can pick some of these up!!

[quote name='Chronis']Tabula dropped? Interesting.... I might have to look into that.... Good find, men![/quote]

Hey now, there are a few ladies that check this thread. The less of a sausagefest we have, the better.:)

[quote name='neocisco']Hey now, there are a few ladies that check this thread. The less of a sausagefest we have, the better.:)[/quote]

Yes, yes, i supposed you are right. Good find men, and Gwen.

Thanks for the update gents (and ladies), I have been eyeing the Gears guides for a few months now. My local BB has about 20 on the shelf.

Damn, I bet I won't find any tomorrow when I go. Someone has been doing a good job of cleaning house lately at my locations.

Luckily, I think no one else lives remotely near me. Last BB guide drops I was able to clean up Monday night, I left half then went back later Thursday (gave some time for others to go). Was surprised to see MORE were put on the shelves.

Then I went to a different BB (about 30 minutes farther away) and found a cart full in the back, after some persistence of course. None of the employees knew what was happening and most found it humorous.

So to sum all that up..... I live in Nowheresville

[quote name='Dave4086']Luckily, I think no one else lives remotely near me. Last BB guide drops I was able to clean up Monday night, I left half then went back later Thursday (gave some time for others to go). Was surprised to see MORE were put on the shelves.

Then I went to a different BB (about 30 minutes farther away) and found a cart full in the back, after some persistence of course. None of the employees knew what was happening and most found it humorous.

So to sum all that up..... I live in Nowheresville[/quote]

I went to my BB last friday, over a month since the last price drop and found a pile of guides, im going back thei friday to get the ones i mssed plus the new drops.

The employee that helped me had never heard of 1 cent guides and was so confused that he started randomly scaning most of the guides there to see what was going on. He's probably still confused, lol.

I am looking for a copy of the recently dropped Blue Dragon guide. Please PM me if you are willing to sell. THANKS!

ALSO:

Jade Empire
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Paper Mario
Zelda Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine

[quote name='DarthLGP']I am looking for a copy of the recently dropped Blue Dragon guide. Please PM me if you are willing to sell. THANKS!

ALSO:

Jade Empire
Paper Mario
Zelda Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine[/quote]

Not trying to be a dick, but that post goes here.

[quote name='SpeedBrkr']
Dave4086: Yes, it is the Gears of War (Game Guide) with the "Now Updated For Windows" message on it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about that. Maybe now it's newly reduced... 2 weeks ago I scanned both and the only one that had dropped for me was the xbox 360.

Have either of the Super Mario Galaxy guides been pennied yet? I went to BestBuy last weekend and they must have had at least 10 copies each of the special and regular editions.

[quote name='DarthLGP']I am looking for a copy of the recently dropped Blue Dragon guide. Please PM me if you are willing to sell. THANKS!

ALSO:

Jade Empire
Paper Mario
Zelda Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine[/quote]

Please put this post in the Game Guide Trade Clearinghouse, please. And once you copy/paste it to there, delete it from this thread. Or, if a mod would be ever so kind as to do that. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also, second post is updated with Tabula Rasa and Universe At War. Need verification on UAW though.

Confirmed at .01:

Gears of War (updated for Windows)
Unreal Tourney 3

Just picked em up...GOW is .01 on the BB kiosk within the store, UT3 has disappeared completely but rings up .01.

Went to my local BB and scanned EVERYTHING in sight.

The following are all still ringing up full price:

Orange Box
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed w/ Artbook
FFXII
FF Tactics Advance
Super Mario Galaxy Collector's
COD 4
Mass Effect
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Halo 3