Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Eight(MODS: Please lock, Thread Nine is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(current one):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(please keep all conversation NOT related to guide drops HERE. Thanks.): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists:

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:
Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
B&N
BestBuy
Borders
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuide.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, who did threads 3,4,5 and 6 and provided me with the links to them.

Thanks to Gwen for allowing me the honor of giving something back to CAG by doing this new guide thread. I hope you all enjoy it and it isn't TOO hard to read.

^^You'll miss them the next time you need to make an epic poo. You'll be looking for something to read and those lovable guides won't be there for you. You'll have to read the newspaper!! *thunder and ominous music*

And still, nobody updated the 03/15 Gamestop drop, 03/03 Best Buy drop, and 03/03 TRU drop on the Wiki. Sure, you'll be hard pressed to find something from the drop at GS or TRU, but for the sake of completeness, someone do it!

[quote name='Chronis']^^You'll miss them the next time you need to make an epic poo. You'll be looking for something to read and those lovable guides won't be there for you. You'll have to read the newspaper!! *thunder and ominous music*[/quote]

There's the free mag thread for that ;)

I'm wondering if this is what the new crazy-old-man-with-dated-newspapers will be... stacks of game guides and free magazines.

There is almost no reason to keep most FPS, racing or Sport guide. And those are the guides that usually have like 10+ copies

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I picked up 2 Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence guides the other day and was wondering if they're good trade fodder.
Also Subsistence? WTF?

Edit: Oh I guess it is a word.[/quote]

I just traded one last week plus with the collected edition of MGS out I'd say yes.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I picked up 2 Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence guides the other day and was wondering if they're good trade fodder.
Also Subsistence? WTF?

Edit: Oh I guess it is a word.[/quote]

Where at?

[quote name='donut']Respectfully, shouldn't the last dozen or so posts be moved to the discussion thread?
Just wondering...[/quote]

If they're not, are you going to be able to sleep tonight?

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Hmm... I wonder if bookstores like Strand will buy the useless guides. It might be possible, considering I once saw a Pokemon GS guide there a few years back...[/QUOTE]

Half Price Books buys game guides and magazines. They wont give much but at least you get something.

[quote name='animemaniac14']if i went to my local blockbuster video/gamerush stores, picked up FFXII revenant wings strat guide and checked out...would it come up at $0.01?[/QUOTE]

no because bb= best buy and blockbuster doesnt penny guides

[quote name='62t']no because bb= best buy and blockbuster doesnt penny guides[/quote]

well i'll have to check my local BB on friday and hope they have some guides i can pick up for $0.01 :whistle2:D

Just went to a BB about 30 minutes away and hit a small gold mine. Got mostly everything from the past two drops = major trade fodder. Although I still can't believe I have to just let those AC: WW, NSMB, and the other 'official' nintendo guides just sit there...:roll:

[quote name='pat87']I'm a noob at this, but I'm just wondering, when does the best buy list typically update? Every two weeks, month, etc?[/quote]

Typically, they get rid of more guides at the beginning of every month. But, if you mean when does the list in the second post of the thread update, that answer is also fairly easy. I update it whenever we hear about a drop occuring, though usually I mark the list as 'unverified' until someone else comes in and says they picked up the same ones.

Oh and for anyone who missed it when I said it before, so you don't waste a post asking 'is there a list of guides which dropped?', I'll say it AGAIN.

CHECK THE SECOND POST OF THIS THREAD ON THE FIRST PAGE BEFORE ASKING ABOUT GUIDE DROPS!!! THANK YOU!!

[quote name='Smeag']Do the hardcover editions like SMG and Zelda ever get pennied?[/QUOTE]

I know the Gears of War and God of War hardcover deluxe editions were a penny, as a snagged the GOW2 guide a couple months back. Those guides cant sit there forever

I picked up the following from the other local BB to me tonight:

Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin x4

I also had a copy of the Shivering Isles expansion guide which popped up out of nowhere scanned, but it came up $19.99. Was it the stickered or unstickered one which was .01?. This one was UNstickered.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I picked up the following from the other local BB to me tonight:

Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin x4

I also had a copy of the Shivering Isles expansion guide which popped up out of nowhere scanned, but it came up $19.99. Was it the stickered or unstickered one which was .01?. This one was UNstickered.[/quote]

The stickered ones were $.01.

That's what I thought, though I have NO IDEA where the HELL they pulled that one copy out of, since it must've been buried in the back someplace. This is the first time I've seen a copy of it on the shelf in over a year or so.

There's one lone copy of the Shivering Isles guide at one of my BB as well. It's beat to hell and looks to have been around awhile. And unless they throw one of those stickers on it, it will probably stay there.

Also got my World in Conflict guide in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately the rest of my orders were cancelled. I did pick up WWE vs Smackdown, Unreal Tournament 3, and Gears of War guides the other day though. I left some of each, but if they are still there next time I go I'll probably have to pick them up. The WWE guide was underneath, same as the Advance Wars guide I found. Why oh why did nobody hide a Bioshock for me to find?

Went back to Best Buy, and lo and behold the guides they refused to sell me which they were "returning to the manufacturer" were put back on the shelves. SO, I bought 1 Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, 1 Advance Wars, and 1 Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles!! sweeeeeet.....

[quote name='animemaniac14']well this is the first time i've done this but im going to drop by my BB today and see what i can find..will post my findings here :_D[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it won't be a productive trip since there won't be any drops at Best Buy until 5/5 at the earliest. Drops occur on Mondays, and on the first Monday of the month, typically.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Unfortunately, it won't be a productive trip since there won't be any drops at Best Buy until 5/5 at the earliest. Drops occur on Mondays, and on the first Monday of the month, typically.[/quote]

but what about the most recent price drops? like if i tried to get Bioshock 360 guide...wouldn't it be a penny? or am i mistaken?

do you think if something is selling for 1 cent it is going to stay around that long? Plus the deal was posted on other sites like SD. And recently BB been a lot tougher on pulling guides. At the same time you could be living in some small town and find a gold mine.

[quote name='animemaniac14']but what about the most recent price drops? like if i tried to get Bioshock 360 guide...wouldn't it be a penny? or am i mistaken?[/quote]

Don't let other people talk you out of it. I went to a BB I already hit the day of the drop and found a Bioshock and 2 Halo spanish guides back on the shelf yesterday.

[quote name='animemaniac14']but what about the most recent price drops? like if i tried to get Bioshock 360 guide...wouldn't it be a penny? or am i mistaken?[/QUOTE]

I thought you meant a new drop. You said you were going to post your findings, so I assumed you meant new guides, since there really isn't a reason to post your findings otherwise.

[quote name='slowdive21']Don't let other people talk you out of it. I went to a BB I already hit the day of the drop and found a Bioshock and 2 Halo spanish guides back on the shelf yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some Best Buys near me still have penny guides from over a year ago. As long as they're not marked a penny, there's a good chance they'll still be on the shelves.

[quote name='slowdive21']Don't let other people talk you out of it. I went to a BB I already hit the day of the drop and found a Bioshock and 2 Halo spanish guides back on the shelf yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody, including myself, is trying to "talk [him] out of it". I thought he meant a new drop and the other poster was just making a point. People do what they want, so if he wants to go to every Best Buy in the US, that's his prerogative.

Well a lot of it will be depend on where that person lives. In some bigger cities the guides will be gone after 1 or 2 days. If he waited this long he shouldnt have a high expectation.

[quote name='animemaniac14']i live in a small town where NO body cares about VGs :whistle2:D much less guides. thx for the advice everyone[/QUOTE]

Let us know if you're able to score any guides!

My BB by my work had one of each of the newest drops (April). So I picked them up :)

Hopefully Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn will get a drop next month. They had a good number of them, and I could use the guide :p

It seems like I never get ANY of the LE/SE/bundled guides lately(or ever). But, I can usually get tons of the stand alone ones, which are usually worthless to most.

[quote name='slowdive21']Stopped in Best buy and picked up the last 3 penny guides. Halo 3 Spanish. I am willing to trade them for RARE RPG guides only! ;)[/quote]

Heh, I have an english version sealed for trade. :)

[quote name='slowdive21']Stopped in Best buy and picked up the last 3 penny guides. Halo 3 Spanish. I am willing to trade them for RARE RPG guides only! ;)[/quote]

If you lived in my area, I'd say to take them to Stroudsburg in PA by the NJ border, since you'll find LOTS of buyers down there for them.

Super Mario Galaxy HC is down to $15 at BB . I don't know if that's recent or not.

Also, if any of you have a Walgreen's nearby they have bubble envelopes (paper, not plastic) on sale this week 3 for $1. You need the coupon that's in the ad but they should have some ads in the store. The 9x12 size is perfect for single guides.

[quote name='neocisco']Super Mario Galaxy HC is down to $15 at BB . I don't know if that's recent or not.

Also, if any of you have a Walgreen's nearby they have bubble envelopes (paper, not plastic) on sale this week 3 for $1. You need the coupon that's in the ad but they should have some ads in the store. The 9x12 size is perfect for single guides.[/quote]

Good lookin' out, man! I'm down to my last 2, so this is a nice deal.

Has an official Overlord guide been produced? I can't seem to find any.

¿Existe la guia de Halo 3 en español? ¿Donde diablos estaba esa maldita guia cuando mas la necesitaba? Ahora que he pasado el juego no me sirve de nada, me cago en la puta madre!

[quote name='angrywolf']¿Existe la guia de Halo 3 en español? ¿Donde diablos estaba esa maldita guia cuando mas la necesitaba? Ahora que he pasado el juego no me sirve de nada, me cago en la puta madre![/quote]

My spanish is a little rusty, but I think this says: There is a Halo3 guide in spanish? Where the devil was it when I needed it. Now that I passed the game it is no use to me...And something about crapping on the mother fucker.

[quote name='slowdive21']My spanish is a little rusty, but I think this says: There is a Halo3 guide in spanish? Where the devil was it when I needed it. Now that I passed the game it is no use to me...And something about crapping on the mother fucker.[/quote]

Originally Posted by angrywolf
¿Existe la guia de Halo 3 en español? ¿Donde diablos estaba esa maldita guia cuando mas la necesitaba? Ahora que he pasado el juego no me sirve de nada, me cago en la puta madre!

"There's a Spanish Halo 3 guide? Where the devil was this fucking guide when I needed it most? Now that I've finished the game, it doesn't do shit for me. I shit on it's fucking mother!" (or on the mother fucker).

Needless to say, he's pretty pissed.

Anyone know the ISBNs for
Halo 2 (PC)

and can someone verify I got the correct ISBN for these:
Bioshock (0744009154)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (0761558454)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (0744008379)

Would be very appricated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back