Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Eight(MODS: Please lock, Thread Nine is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(current one):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(please keep all conversation NOT related to guide drops HERE. Thanks.): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists:

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:
Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
B&N
BestBuy
Borders
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuide.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, who did threads 3,4,5 and 6 and provided me with the links to them.

Thanks to Gwen for allowing me the honor of giving something back to CAG by doing this new guide thread. I hope you all enjoy it and it isn't TOO hard to read.

[quote name='Antic']One of the employees and I went through all of the guides present with a hand scanner. I can confirm the following guides...

Frontlines
Turok
Command & Conquer 3:Tiberium Wars
the EA Hardcover book

I have multiples of these too (except for C&C), so if you have no luck send me a PM to set-up a guide trade.[/quote]Thanks for the expanded list.

[quote name='genfuyung']Hate to be THAT guy but did anyone check the mass effect guide or the guide with the artbook?[/quote]

Both rang up full price for me.

Conan and Manhunt 2 (both are old) for a penny. I scanned Frontlines, but that came up at full price.

COD4, Army of Two, and Quake Wars: Enemy Territory all rang up as full price. :(

The Zelda Gold Hardcover was $15 still.

[quote name='GuardianE']Conan and Manhunt 2 (both are old) for a penny. I scanned Frontlines, but that came up at full price.

COD4, Army of Two, and Quake Wars: Enemy Territory all rang up as full price. :(

The Zelda Gold Hardcover was $15 still.[/quote]

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory is full price because it's a new guide for the console version (360/PS3). Frontlines should have been a penny though for you.

These guides are still NON-Penny or FULL Price:

Pirates of the Burning Sea
Pokemon Battle Revolution - Nintendo Version
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red Rescue Team - Nintendo Version
Super Mario Galaxy - Collector's Edition
Zelda: Twilight Princess Collector's Edition - Tan HardCover
Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii - Nintendo & White Prima Version

[quote name='Antic']Quake Wars: Enemy Territory is full price because it's a new guide for the console version (360/PS3). Frontlines should have been a penny though for you.[/quote]

Damn. Is it possible that my Best Buy could be a little behind?

[quote name='GuardianE']Damn. Is it possible that my Best Buy could be a little behind?[/QUOTE]

Probably has a different UPC, you might be able to peel off the UPC sticker if there is one.

[quote name='Antic']
Frontlines
Turok
Command & Conquer 3:Tiberium Wars
the EA Hardcover book
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I can confirm:
Frontlines
Turok
EA Hardcover.

took a quick run over - and got 1 C&C guide. Not worth the trip. I knew there were a couple EA hardcovers there before so someone else got to them first

The only thing I don't like about the first Monday of the month and Best Buy's penny guide drops is the endless post after post afterward where people talk about what they got.

Can't those discussions be taken to the guide discussion thread??? I mean, I'm happy that someone may have gotten 3 of this, 2 of those and 3 of that, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to hear about it for 28 consecutive posts.

Any way we can create that rule, since it does get out-of-hand each month????

I, myself, score guides pretty consistently, but I don't post about it unless it's in the trade thread, because I know nobody cares what I scored.

Not flaming, but it is an issue worth exploring by the powers that be.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']The only thing I don't like about the first Monday of the month and Best Buy's penny guide drops is the endless post after post afterward where people talk about what they got.

Can't those discussions be taken to the guide discussion thread??? I mean, I'm happy that someone may have gotten 3 of this, 2 of those and 3 of that, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to hear about it for 28 consecutive posts.[/quote]

Isn't this basically what happens in most every thread in the Video Game Deals forum?

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']Isn't this basically what happens in most every thread in the Video Game Deals forum?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's why 2 additional threads were created solely for penny guides: a discussion thread and a trade thread.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']The only thing I don't like about the first Monday of the month and Best Buy's penny guide drops is the endless post after post afterward where people talk about what they got.

Can't those discussions be taken to the guide discussion thread??? I mean, I'm happy that someone may have gotten 3 of this, 2 of those and 3 of that, but that doesn't mean I necessarily want to hear about it for 28 consecutive posts.

Any way we can create that rule, since it does get out-of-hand each month????

I, myself, score guides pretty consistently, but I don't post about it unless it's in the trade thread, because I know nobody cares what I scored.

Not flaming, but it is an issue worth exploring by the powers that be.[/quote]

To be honest i don't mind this as much as.....is there gonna be a drop tomorrow....is there a drop today...etc.

I sure as hell miss the days when Vahn would pop in and say a day or two prior that this and that was gonna drop....then we could actually goto the store and hide the ones we wanted so that way for sure on Monday we could get a copy of everything we wanted!!!

[/QUOTE]

I personally like it when people post about their finds. It further reinforces the fact that yes, these guides have indeed dropped. It is always nice to have confirmation, and with people providing their experiences it is helpful before jumping out into the hunt.

Also, it's interesting to see peoples' finds.

Really, when it comes to penny guides, my policy is always: the more information available to me, the better.

This thread is super-tame compared to most large deal threads. I mean, c'mon, there aren't that many posts. It won't kill you to wade through a few posts about people's finds. Is it really worth it to get all up-in-arms about it?

[quote name='jgamezcua']Anyone able to check Viking today?

None of the BB's in my immediate area have any copies out.[/quote]

I'm interested in this as well since it just came in the mail for me today. Also waiting for Assassin's Creed to drop since I saw two different versions at my local BB. Having picture locations for all the flags would be nice.

[quote name='Antic']Both rang up full price for me.[/quote]

The guide/artbook rang up $17.99 for me yesterday. Is that what you mean by "full price"? Retail was $34.99.

[quote name='Xizer']I personally like it when people post about their finds. It further reinforces the fact that yes, these guides have indeed dropped. It is always nice to have confirmation, and with people providing their experiences it is helpful before jumping out into the hunt.

Also, it's interesting to see peoples' finds.

Really, when it comes to penny guides, my policy is always: the more information available to me, the better.[/quote]

I agree. Especially since the Guide Discussion thread says:
Please keep ALL discussions not related to actual guide drops(which guides are worth more than a penny, which ones are worth crap, etc) HERE.

But also, please continue to list dropped guides, which store they dropped at and when they dropped in the main thread.

Technically, all someone's doing by posting their recent findings (even if already confirmed) is telling people where to find price dropped guides. Saves people some trouble if some Best Buys are lagging behind.

On that note, I've been apparently going to the wrong BB in MD, because I just hit up a different one in the city to score 10+ guides for a penny. Including the EA book, Turok, Frontlines. I can't seem to find Viking anywhere, though.

[quote name='Rocko']This thread is super-tame compared to most large deal threads. I mean, c'mon, there aren't that many posts. It won't kill you to wade through a few posts about people's finds. Is it really worth it to get all up-in-arms about it?[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a separate thread, so is it really so difficult to post your finds/stories/etc. in that thread? I know some people don't mind, or even like to see what people find. That is truly great, but why not put it where it should go? There was clearly a purpose for the discussion thread, so I was merely suggesting that people use that thread for that sort of purpose.

We've all been guilty of it, so I'm pointing my finger at myself too (not on posting my finds, but on getting off-topic). It was just a reminder. Heck, I even said I wasn't trying to flame in my initial post.

But if you think that is geting "up-in-arms", then you are severely thin-skinned and I'd hate to see your reaction to somebody who is genuinely "up-in-arms" about anything. Sheesh.

[quote name='QiG']I'm interested in this as well since it just came in the mail for me today. Also waiting for Assassin's Creed to drop since I saw two different versions at my local BB. Having picture locations for all the flags would be nice.[/quote]

You don't need the assassin's creed guide. This website is far better and free

http://www.assassinscreed-maps.com/Maps.htm

Can anyone confirm any others, other than the four listed? I ask because I saw a STACK of Crysis guides last week at my local BB and today, there were NONE.

So, maybe that dropped as well?

Either way, I'm updating the second post with the current list of 4 guides that dropped.

Oh and FYI, I checked Fire Emblem(Prima) today and it was $9.99. I also checked the Super Mario Galaxy guide(hardcover) and it was still $14.99, though some CAG said they got it for $7 something since it was listed as 'end of life' at their store.

I wanted to check the IN-STORE kiosk to see if any new guides were listed as .01 on there, but some fuckin' employee was checking his email on the kiosk, then some manager got on the kiosk as well and was doing something, so I left without checking.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] I ask because I saw a STACK of Crysis guides last week at my local BB and today, there were NONE.
[/quote]

Crysis is still 9.99 online as well as 9.99 on the instore kiosk. Although, I didn't actually have it price checked.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']But if you think that is geting "up-in-arms", then you are severely thin-skinned and I'd hate to see your reaction to somebody who is genuinely "up-in-arms" about anything. Sheesh.[/quote]

It's not like you haven't bitched about this before.

I noticed that they are sporadic in how they do drops lately. One time they'll list them on the site for .01, other times they're normal price but come up as 'limited availability' or 'backordered' on the site.

Oh and second post is updated. I added in Crysis and Viking(what's the full name for this?) as possibles. We need verification on them though.

As for the rambling and excessive 'i got xyz guide' posts and what not, I just look at all of the random conversation in this thread as my 'free pass' if someone accuses me of going way off topic in the Kmart or Target threads. I can just point to the massive amount of posts in here which are just people thinly veiling trade requests and everything else that has happened in here that belongs in the discussion thread or the trade thread(which I need to link to Pooky's newly made trade thread soon)and say, it happens here so unless ya police my thread, then I'm not doing anything wrong.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Can anyone confirm any others, other than the four listed? I ask because I saw a STACK of Crysis guides last week at my local BB and today, there were NONE.

So, maybe that dropped as well?

Either way, I'm updating the second post with the current list of 4 guides that dropped.

Oh and FYI, I checked Fire Emblem(Prima) today and it was $9.99. I also checked the Super Mario Galaxy guide(hardcover) and it was still $14.99, though some CAG said they got it for $7 something since it was listed as 'end of life' at their store.

I wanted to check the IN-STORE kiosk to see if any new guides were listed as .01 on there, but some fuckin' employee was checking his email on the kiosk, then some manager got on the kiosk as well and was doing something, so I left without checking.[/quote]

I checked Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, full price. At one store, the Ea book rang up for a penny but the manager pushed the price up to 20 bucks. No thanks.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I noticed that they are sporadic in how they do drops lately. One time they'll list them on the site for .01, other times they're normal price but come up as 'limited availability' or 'backordered' on the site.[/quote]

Yeah, Heavenly Sword, Lair and all those from that drop are full price online but 0.01 in the instore kiosk still. At least they're being consistent lately about the first monday of the month.

[quote name='Rocko']It's not like you haven't bitched about this before.[/QUOTE]

I also apologized to you, specifically, before, because the last time I was snippy. This time, I wasn't snippy. In fact, I wasn't directing my suggestion toward you, or anyone specifically. I was merely making a general observation. You are free to disagree and have your own opinion on the matter, but it's not necessary to tell me I'm getting "up-in-arms" or that I have "*****ed" about it before. I was calm, diplomatic and didn't single anyone out in my initial post.

And, for the sake of accuracy, the last time I "*****ed" it was what sacreddoctor just mentioned: endless posts of "what's dropping tomorrow?" "does anyone know what dropped?" and other such nonsense.

The Atlanta Buckhead Best Buy (@ Sydney Marcus) had no console game guides today. They were all boxed up and gone, the whole end-cap was gone and replaced with a second PS3 demo/display kiosk. (This is a large square footage store w/ a MAGNOLIA H.T. sub-store in a high income market).

I was told by the manager that only PC guides were going to be stocked from now on.
Has anyone else seen this happen???? I want to make sure this is not a trend nationally.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
I was told by the manager that only PC guides were going to be stocked from now on.
Has anyone else seen this happen????[/quote]

OMG, no!

I've seen many copies of Crysis in stores around here too. I'll check tomorrow for you guys.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
As for the rambling and excessive 'i got xyz guide' posts and what not, I just look at all of the random conversation in this thread as my 'free pass' if someone accuses me of going way off topic in the Kmart or Target threads. I can just point to the massive amount of posts in here which are just people thinly veiling trade requests and everything else that has happened in here that belongs in the discussion thread or the trade thread(which I need to link to Pooky's newly made trade thread soon)and say, it happens here so unless ya police my thread, then I'm not doing anything wrong.[/QUOTE]

That's fair, then, IATCG. I kind of look at you as the "Thread Grand Pooba", so, however, you feel is cool.

I appreciate how you give your POV without getting personal or pointing out anyone specifically with a differing opinion (read: me).

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I checked Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, full price. At one store, the Ea book rang up for a penny but the manager pushed the price up to 20 bucks. No thanks.[/quote]

I love when they do that. I just say 'it came up as .01 on the scanner or at the register, that's the price I want it for'. If they refuse, even if I was there to get something in the first place and just went guide hunting as a secondary thing, I'll leave everything at the register and walk out.

I had a few assclown GS employees try doing that on the one the Doublejump Castlevania guide. It came up as .01 on their card reader thing, then they overrode the price and jacked it back up to cover price. I knew immediately that that store would be NO GOOD for getting even ONE guide out the door at .01, so I just said 'keep it' and walked out.

Crisis has not dropped to .01. I took every guide to the register at two stores. The only one I could not check is wii Zelda white cover, which has been reported not dropping. I will have a larger list after the red wings game.

[quote name='shajek']Even though the Limited Zelda:TP book isn't yet pennied, my local BB has only one left of about 12 from before. WTF?[/quote]

Even though they aren't pennied, they are pretty much half price. Some Zelda fanatic?

not pennied...some of these came up at a reduced price though.

call of duty 4
chains of olypus
halo 3
soccer
bully wii
crysis
dark sector
SM galaxy both version
oblivion- black
devil may cry 4
rainbow 6
assains creed both versions
mass effect both versions
condemed 2
burnout paradise
pirates
FFXII
FF crystal cronicles
FF lions
army of 2
orange box
zelda blue soft cover guide ?phantom hourglass?
fire emblem
pokemon with 1 and 2 in upper right corner
rock band 9.99

That's all I can remember.

didn't get to check paper mario...have a feeling this one may have dropped, some guide with animals? -maybe a DS game or something, sims boxed set, code books, pokedex. none of the stores I went to had viking.

Removed Crysis from the second post, though I'm still puzzled as to WHY the hell at least 10 copies of the guide would've up and disappeared in like a week.

Now that you mention it, I didn't see the Sims boxed set of guides around. Weird that I didn't notice that before. Although, I believe the code books were all there.

[quote name='troy2007']Ah, slowdive21 beat me to it. Confirming Frontline and Turok.[/quote]

Props go to my dad...I called him up and asked him to post the guides I found!

[quote name='slowdive21']didn't get to check paper mario...have a feeling this one may have dropped, some guide with animals? -maybe a DS game or something, sims boxed set, code books, pokedex. none of the stores I went to had viking.[/QUOTE]Super Paper Mario Nintendo version, Pokemon Pocket Pokedex Vol.2, Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Pokedex Vol.2, and Oblivion GOTY bar code stickered and unstickered were all full or reduced price. Didn't see a Viking or Sims Boxed Set and didn't bother checking code books. All in all it was just a thoroughly depressing hunt yesterday.

[quote name='animemaniac14']wait did someone say the sims box set guides were pennied out?[/QUOTE]No one said it's pennied; however, no one has mentioned pricing it since the drop and it's not listed on the website.

The known drops are the following:

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
EA: Celebrating 25 Years - Hardcover
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Turok

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back