Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven and a Half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>>Dropped on 10.29.07>Dropped on 10.29.07>Dropped on 10.25.07>Dropped on 10.25.07>Dropped on 10.22.07>Dropped on 10.22.07>Dropped on 10.18.07>Dropped on 10.18.07

Hey Rocko, you just interrrupted my format. Can you delete yours, so it's organized.

And don't get wise with me, Mister. :lol:

Rocko gets a Gold Star.
wooper.gif

I made a couple minor changes to the OP with regards to wording. I also managed to change the color of the links from that nasty cag orange that seemingly surrounds us. You like?

Rolento, according to POST 3 (which ideally I'll keep updated), upcoming BB drops may be:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team - Prima
Pokemon Ranger - Prima
Rogue Galaxy
You & Wii

You & Wii is still on the BB site, but it's 9.99. I believe that's why it was noted by someone as a possible drop.

Does anyone know if the Halo Graphic Novel is pennied out at GS? I checked the wiki and gamestop.com and could not find it. Good job with the wiki and keep up the good work !

[quote name='demitri911']Does anyone know if the Halo Graphic Novel is pennied out at GS? I checked the wiki and gamestop.com and could not find it. Good job with the wiki and keep up the good work ![/quote]

Well what would that tell you? ;)

Although for all I know it could be pennied and you just suck at searching. :lol:

[quote name='guinaevere']I made a couple minor changes to the OP with regards to wording. I also managed to change the color of the links from that nasty cag orange that seemingly surrounds us. You like?

Rolento, according to POST 3 (which ideally I'll keep updated), upcoming BB drops may be:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team - Prima
Pokemon Ranger - Prima
Rogue Galaxy
You & Wii

You & Wii is still on the BB site, but it's 9.99. I believe that's why it was noted by someone as a possible drop.[/QUOTE]

thx and thx also for the new thread. I respect organization and order.

BB has ususally done past drops on the first Monday of the month. I don't expect to see any drops until next Monday, 7/2, and maybe not even then since they don't do them every month. Plus, next week is a holiday week as well.

[quote name='jgamezcua']Checked Rogue Galaxy today at BB, still regular price.[/quote]

Meaning $9.99, right?

[quote name='neocisco']BB has ususally done past drops on the first Monday of the month. I don't expect to see any drops until next Monday, 7/2, and maybe not even then since they don't do them every month. Plus, next week is a holiday week as well.

[/quote]

Yeah, BB just seems so inconsistent with drops lately. Used to be pretty solid for the first monday of every month, but I think the last two drops at BB have been at other times. Fig'd since I was there anyway, might as well check.

[quote name='neocisco']

Meaning $9.99, right?[/quote]

You got it, $9.99 still.

[quote name='neocisco']BB has ususally done past drops on the first Monday of the month.[/quote]True dat. Thanks for the reminder, I've updated post 3 with that notation.

7/2 does mark the first Monday of a new fiscal month, which over many past months used to be the tradition of a guide drop, but not recently. Recently it has always been mid-month with almost no warning at all.

Demitri, I haven't forgotten about you. When I visited my local store Tuesday, a man I suspected to be their new DM was there. I didn't want to rock the boat for my favorite-est EB manager by asking if something had been pennied out yet.

Plus, I haven't seen that Graphic Novel around for a while for them to scan.

[quote name='demitri911']Does anyone know if the Halo Graphic Novel is pennied out at GS? I checked the wiki and gamestop.com and could not find it. Good job with the wiki and keep up the good work ![/quote]

As of Saturday it was still $12.95 in the system. Sorry!

[quote name='guinaevere']Demitri, I haven't forgotten about you. When I visited my local store Tuesday, a man I suspected to be their new DM was there. I didn't want to rock the boat for my favorite-est EB manager by asking if something had been pennied out yet.

Plus, I haven't seen that Graphic Novel around for a while for them to scan.[/quote]

LOL Gwen, I wish my area would get a different DM, since I think a few of the managers round here would change their tune if the current one skeedaddled to another district or job and most of his employees would probably cheer(he's not a well liked kinda guy, takes pleasure in field destroying items, in other words, NOT a gamer).

Hell, I'd throw them all a huge party if he ever left, mind you some of the newer employees are so brainwashed to strictly follow the rules, none of them believe in good customer service to bring back customers instead of 'must.....follow......rules'.

Thanks Gwen & DustBoogie for your replies. I guess I'll just keep waiting. At least I know its half off now (cover price is 24.99), so maybe that means it will be on the next GS drop.

Iam, speaking of good customer service and bringing back customers (and in an off beat way, this does involve a cheap strat guide)...
Rome, Georgia Toys R Us is managed by... err... let's say I was unimpressed with his answers concerning left over pre-order bonuses for Pokemon Pearl & Diamond. I spent around $325 on Monday in his store (including one Pokemon Diamond and two Pearl). They had about four Pearl Stylii in those plastic cases. I grabbed two (bought two pearl games, diamond was free, didn't want to be greedy) and they go to charge me 9.99 each stylus.

$20 for two free stylii? What a friggen deal. So I speak to about four different guys in the store, no joy. I get TRUs CS number, and go to my car to make some phone calls. Opened a case with TRU Customer Service.

(And then called Nintendo of America to notify them that the free bonuses they sent out are being sold for $10 at TRU. They don't care for that sort of thing, but they can't prevent it. Unscrupulous retailers can do whatever with left over or even held-back goodies. But the fella I spoke with was so nice. He wanted to send me the stylii, but they were all out, so instead they're sending out the Pearl/Diamond Strat Guide. And it wasn't Nintendo I had a problem with. It was TRU. Gotta love Nintendo and N'sider Nintendo and all that.)

TRU CS called back yesterday and we had a little chat. I told them the events that transpired, and that it's odd that TRU with struggling to keep its head about water so often, is burning bridges with it's customers, rather than building them. Got a call back a few minutes later. My stylii are now waiting for me in Rome.

Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but I just got the most recent issue of PSM in the mail today. There was an article about what you could buy for the PS2 for $100. One of the people participating decided to mention asking about penny guides at EB/GS in his article, so I have a feeling that the difficulties at EB/GS may only get worse. Anyone else see the article?

[quote name='Warner1281']Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but I just got the most recent issue of PSM in the mail today. There was an article about what you could buy for the PS2 for $100. One of the people participating decided to mention asking about penny guides at EB/GS in his article, so I have a feeling that the difficulties at EB/GS may only get worse. Anyone else see the article?[/quote]

...wow.

I'm pretty sure EB / GS exec's are going to love that one, as well as Prima / Brady exec's.

That's shocking someone would be that dumb.

[quote name='guinaevere']Iam, speaking of good customer service and bringing back customers (and in an off beat way, this does involve a cheap strat guide)...
Rome, Georgia Toys R Us is managed by... err... let's say I was unimpressed with his answers concerning left over pre-order bonuses for Pokemon Pearl & Diamond. I spent around $325 on Monday in his store (including one Pokemon Diamond and two Pearl). They had about four Pearl Stylii in those plastic cases. I grabbed two (bought two pearl games, diamond was free, didn't want to be greedy) and they go to charge me 9.99 each stylus.

$20 for two free stylii? What a friggen deal. So I speak to about four different guys in the store, no joy. I get TRUs CS number, and go to my car to make some phone calls. Opened a case with TRU Customer Service.

(And then called Nintendo of America to notify them that the free bonuses they sent out are being sold for $10 at TRU. They don't care for that sort of thing, but they can't prevent it. Unscrupulous retailers can do whatever with left over or even held-back goodies. But the fella I spoke with was so nice. He wanted to send me the stylii, but they were all out, so instead they're sending out the Pearl/Diamond Strat Guide. And it wasn't Nintendo I had a problem with. It was TRU. Gotta love Nintendo and N'sider Nintendo and all that.)

TRU CS called back yesterday and we had a little chat. I told them the events that transpired, and that it's odd that TRU with struggling to keep its head about water so often, is burning bridges with it's customers, rather than building them. Got a call back a few minutes later. My stylii are now waiting for me in Rome.
[/quote]

Interesting story, Gwen, now I'm wondering why GS/EB haven't tried such a thing as that, selling those pre order goodies for some extra cash. I know they seem to like putting their price stickers on everything else in spades.

[quote name='Warner1281']Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but I just got the most recent issue of PSM in the mail today. There was an article about what you could buy for the PS2 for $100. One of the people participating decided to mention asking about penny guides at EB/GS in his article, so I have a feeling that the difficulties at EB/GS may only get worse. Anyone else see the article?[/quote]

That's the unofficial PSM magazine right? What month is that one?

EB/GS will totally be cracking down once they get wind of it. That sux that it was mentioned.

[quote name='Warner1281']Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but I just got the most recent issue of PSM in the mail today. There was an article about what you could buy for the PS2 for $100. One of the people participating decided to mention asking about penny guides at EB/GS in his article, so I have a feeling that the difficulties at EB/GS may only get worse. Anyone else see the article?[/QUOTE]

Damn. I'm not sure what's worse: that this will make it more difficult to get penny guides, or that when I try to get some, the EB/GS employee will think I read that not-fit-for-toilet-paper rag. Please, I have standards.

;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Interesting story, Gwen, now I'm wondering why GS/EB haven't tried such a thing as that, selling those pre order goodies for some extra cash. I know they seem to like putting their price stickers on everything else in spades.[/QUOTE]
The tales of LEgendia artbook preorder bonus was also marked up at EB/GS

[quote name='Warner1281']Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but I just got the most recent issue of PSM in the mail today. There was an article about what you could buy for the PS2 for $100. One of the people participating decided to mention asking about penny guides at EB/GS in his article, so I have a feeling that the difficulties at EB/GS may only get worse. Anyone else see the article?[/quote]:bomb:

[quote name='shrike4242']That was my reaction as well. Thank you, PSM. :bomb:[/quote]

I see both your and Gwen's :bomb: and raise you :bomb::bomb::bomb:. All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everybody. Hopefully the higher-ups at GS aren't actual game fans (pretty good chance of that) and won't hear about the article. Besides, we all know that crackdowns from corporate always dwindle over time.

[quote name='neocisco']I see both your and Gwen's :bomb: and raise you :bomb::bomb::bomb:. All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everybody. Hopefully the higher-ups at GS aren't actual game fans (pretty good chance of that) and won't hear about the article. Besides, we all know that crackdowns from corporate always dwindle over time.[/quote]

Not around here they haven't, neo. Matter of fact, I found an unshrinkwrapped God Of War II guide finally around here with no new UPC sticker on it, it rang up $.01 as was said before, the one female manager type said 'yoink' and grabbed it from my hand, then went back to Media and got me a nice minty shrinkwrapped, new UPC'd one which rang up $17.99.

Thanks to some quick thinking on my one friends part, she claimed to have forgotten her credit card at home(she also brought up a $9.99 cd to try and disguise the .01 guide purchase) and 'didn't have enough cash on her at the moment', which got us out of there and out to her car which we left in and never looked back from.

So yeah, the crackdown is certainly still going on around here and forget about GS brand stores completely, since they are the aforementioned 'follow the company rules to the letter' stores around here.

I may try the one TRU down the line from me on Friday to see if they yanked the R6: Vegas and the other guides from Monday's drop, but I'm not getting my hopes up....

[quote name='neocisco']I see both your and Gwen's :bomb: and raise you :bomb::bomb::bomb:. [/quote]You don't want to start that game with me. Not having any idea as to what I'm doing, I just keep raising or calling or whatever it is and I always seem to ruin the round without any clue of what I just did. :oops:

Hopefully the higher-ups at GS aren't actual game fans (pretty good chance of that) and won't hear about the article.
Ah, but as you say...

All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everybody.
One doofus employee who *does* read it, mentions it to someone higher up, and poof.

At this point all we can do is expect the penny guides at GS to go the way of the dinosaur for a time at least. And if we're fortunate enough to still manage to grab one or two despite a lockdown, hoorah.

From PSM, Aug 2007, Issue 126-

Pennied Out Means Pennywise
Apparently game guides have a shelf life. That is, once a game has been out long enough, those fine folks at EB Games and GameStop mark them "penny-out," after which they usually put the guides on some shelf in the back room. Next time you visit your local EB or GS, ask to see the penny-out game guides - you'll be surprised what you can get. We walked away with five guides (for a nickel) that would have cost the following:
Disgaea 2- $17.99
SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALS Combined Assault- $17.99
Justice League Heroes- $15.99
Superman Returns- $17.99
Tony Hawk's Project 8- $15.99
for a total of $85.95 in savings.

OF NOTE: We know these aren't the latest guides, but you'll probably find a guide for a game you never finished or might be stuck on or can get something out of, like the Tony Hawk Project 8 guide. It has all the gaps!

-freelance writer Casey Lynch [AKA- fucktard moron]

In this SAME issue, they also manage to discuss PSP homebrew and even give the specific websites where you can find some of it (and then go on to say piracy is bad and we shouldn't do it). *head explodes... twice!*

[quote name='Warner1281']Next time you visit your local EB or GS, ask to see the penny-out game guides[/quote]:wall:

-freelance writer Casey Lynch [AKA- fucktard moron]
This is one instance where the I feel the use of the Fbomb is almost justified.

In this SAME issue, they also manage to discuss PSP homebrew and even give the specific websites where you can find some of it (and then go on to say piracy is bad and we shouldn't do it). *head explodes... twice!*
Considering this is PSM, maybe they thought these would work for an April Fools issue. Gad, it's just too - I won't say it.

edit: [quote name='neocisco']and corner Casey Lynch in a dark alley somewhere.[/quote]You could take him easy. I'd pay to see this. Just not much. We're cags, after all.

Dang, that manager sounds like a dick. Why do managers and the like always like to give people a hard time and not save them any money? She also had no right to physically take that guide from you. If it were me, I would give people the benefit of the doubt.

looks like casey lynch is also an editor at monstersandcritics.com Too bad I cant seems to find his email

Not an editor. Looks more like he just submits his reviews, because he isn't listed as staff. It also looks like he has done the same sort of thing (ie, posting reviews) at the Phoenix New Times and more recently at altpress.com

One day, he may write something noteworthy and actually get hired on by one of these sites.

I caught that as well in the latest PSM. How dumb.

(I get PSM for free after subscribing to Gamefly; don't beat me up. :lol:)

[quote name='Rocko']I caught that as well in the latest PSM. How dumb.

(I get PSM for free after subscribing to Gamefly; don't beat me up. :lol:)[/QUOTE]

I get mine as part of my MVP membership at Gamecrazy

[quote name='neocisco']Note to self: Never subscribe to PSM magazine...and corner Casey Lynch in a dark alley somewhere.[/quote]

I had a subscript to both PSM and OPM for a long time, but never paid for either.

Let me explain: I was on one of those 'free subscript' sites where if you do a single offer or something, you get to choose a subscript or two of your choice. Well, I did the single offer(which I think was a free website signup) and instead of ONE subscript, they offered me TWO.

Both were free for a year, then they sent a bill asking if I wanted to continue, if so pay XYZ amount. If not, then I check CANCEL and owe nothing. SO, I thought I had effectively cancelled both mags, but the next month, the new issue of both was waiting for me in my mailbox.

I sent back the first couple issues, marking CANCEL on the bill they sent me with them. They kept sending them, so after 2-3 months, I just said fuck it and started keeping them.

This went on for about 2-3 YEARS, they would send me a bill, I'd mark CANCEL, they'd keep sending them though, so it would be the same rigamarole every damned time.

Eventually, someone smart must've finally processed the cancel order and the magazines stopped. BUT, here's the bad part, they then started sending collections people after me for the 2-3 years of free mags, to which I always replied 'I tried cancelling, they kept sending them'. Eventually, they ceasted and desisted, but not till they tried getting their money for about a year or so.

[quote name='Warner1281']From PSM, Aug 2007, Issue 126-

Next time you visit your local EB or GS, ask to see the penny-out game guides[/quote]
They made it sound like it would work without some Jedi mind trick :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back