Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven and a Half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the original God Of War II guide is gone from BB's site, take that for what you will. I didn't notice any other missing guides though, so maybe that one joined Gears Of War in dropping?

[quote name='ozzymandd']What's strange about the Minish Cap guide I saw was that I saw it at a Target that opened well after the game was released and became a rare find in the wild.[/quote]
I bought two copies of the Minish Cap guide from Circuit City for like two bucks a piece. I used one of the guides to play the game. I finished Minish Cap, and decided I wasn't going to keep it or the guides since I wasn't a big fan of the game, so I sold the game and the two guides (one new, one used) on eBay, thinking I'd probably get $5 for the used one and maybe $15 for the new one. The used guide went for $30...and the new one for $100:shock:.

The only luck I've had is for Spider-man 3, Fantastic Four, Viva Pinata, Virtua Fighter 5, and a couple more that I don't even own.

I take it they're not pennying anymore until at least January because of Christmas?

[quote name='Antic']The only luck I've had is for Spider-man 3, Fantastic Four, Viva Pinata, Virtua Fighter 5, and a couple more that I don't even own.

I take it they're not pennying anymore until at least January because of Christmas?[/QUOTE]

Seems to be tradition for BB to penny guides in January.

BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned in the topic, but I found guides for Super Paper Mario and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokedex (both NP) for half off at Target.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK, the original God Of War II guide is gone from BB's site, take that for what you will. I didn't notice any other missing guides though, so maybe that one joined Gears Of War in dropping?[/quote]

God of War II's been pennied for awhile IF you can find one without the plastic wrapping on it and sticker over the UPC. I found one just the other day and it rang up a penny.

Well, I knew about that 'version' pennying, but I was wondering if the shrinkwrapped version may have dropped now too, since I didn't see it on the website for about a week now.

And, I know that the one local BB had 2-3 of them, but they disappeared recently and the other local BB has ONE of them which didn't.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well, I knew about that 'version' pennying, but I was wondering if the shrinkwrapped version may have dropped now too, since I didn't see it on the website for about a week now.

And, I know that the one local BB had 2-3 of them, but they disappeared recently and the other local BB has ONE of them which didn't.[/quote]

I had it scanned a couple days ago (with shrink wrap) and still full price.
I noticed Super Mario fell off the web site, so I had that scanned today, still $14.99

Weird observation an hour ago -
While standing in line to conduct a pm for the Premier Phantom guide with the TRU ad -

A staff member was checking out with a drink, a movie and 2 HB Zelda TP guides Collector's editions...I swear the total was $7.xx, so I grab one of two remaining TP guides to have it scanned...still $29.99..and I have observed this staff member conducting price changes in the video section on one occassion...

I'm waiting for 75% off at Target for the DP Pokedex and SPM NP and Twilight Princess NP.

$3.75 seems like an ok price to buy guides at :)

do all your stores actually put them in a place and SELL them for a penny? OR are you guys coming here, and then checking the price when you goto the store? Cuz i work at a game crazy and we take them down, employees get first dibs, we MAYBE keep them to give them to people that buy the particular game, and then we rip the covers off them and toss them in the dumpster, lately though we just been tossing them in dumpster.

But we never put them out or leave them out to be bought for a penny. when the pull list comes in, we pull them ALL and after we take some (i got SO many nice strat guides from penny drops) they get tossed.

Cuz now im curious and want to check other stores when i go, i just never check other stores for guides cuz i work at a game crazy and either get a 10% discount on them or get them free when they drop to the pull list. let me know, im curious.

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']do all your stores actually put them in a place and SELL them for a penny? OR are you guys coming here, and then checking the price when you goto the store? Cuz i work at a game crazy and we take them down, employees get first dibs, we MAYBE keep them to give them to people that buy the particular game, and then we rip the covers off them and toss them in the dumpster, lately though we just been tossing them in dumpster.

But we never put them out or leave them out to be bought for a penny. when the pull list comes in, we pull them ALL and after we take some (i got SO many nice strat guides from penny drops) they get tossed.

Cuz now im curious and want to check other stores when i go, i just never check other stores for guides cuz i work at a game crazy and either get a 10% discount on them or get them free when they drop to the pull list. let me know, im curious.[/quote]

You would help out a lot of people here if you would get multilpes of the guides at your store before they're destroyed and start a tradelist. Guide trading is a widely done practice on this site.

[quote name='neocisco']You would help out a lot of people here if you would get multilpes of the guides at your store before they're destroyed and start a tradelist. Guide trading is a widely done practice on this site.[/quote]

Thanks neo...I wrote almost the same response, but it did not post...and let me add...it would also send less to your local landfill...

how does trading work here? like an ebay thing? i mean if i send something to you, how can i expect to be sent something in return? is it by a code of honor or something or by actual contractual things? Then again, my work would totally be pissed if i took a bunch cuz they'd assume im gonna try and turn a profit. they already kind of dont like us taking guides but our District manager knows i collect game and game related items so he doesnt care if i take a few here and there cuz i buy literlaly $1000 of dollars worth of games like every 3 months or i used to anyway cuz i bought most the good stuff at our store, especially classic stuff. lol but let me know how trading works. I'll see what i can do next time we get penny guide drops, we're about due for one i imagine since it wa slike Sept since the last one. Got some NICE RPG guides then. lol radiata stories, romancing saga, shining force exa. etc..etc..

Basically just put up a list of guide you have and guides you want in the trading forum. Someone will send you a pm offer and you take it or leave it. Mostly people ship guides in a padded envelope with delivery confirmation. It usually costs a couple of bucks if you send it via media mail. People here are pretty good honest traders. I haven't had a problem yet in over 70 trades. You can check peoples list in the little "CML" link by their name or check for a trade link in their signature like I have. Also there is a guide trading thread in the forum just for trading penny guides.

Trading is based on an honor system, more or less. Feedback is left after each transaction. The community here has done a great job at keeping scammers out. Since you don't have any feedback right now whoever you're trading with will expect you to ship first. For your first 10 trades or so you should stick to trading with established traders with lots of positive feedback (like myself ;)). Starting a trade thread is easy. You just go into the game trading forum and start a new thread. Title it as your trade thread and list all of the items you have up for sale or trade and any specific items you might be looking for. Make sure it's well organized and alphabetized. This can only help increase your trades. Once you have a TL you can put a link to it in your sig (and also next to your iTrader rating once you've completed your first trade).

Just a word of advice, do your trades/sales honestly and quickly and all will be well. I speak from experience.

to answer your first question. It depends on the store. Some store like TRU usually give people a hard time while for gamestop it depends on the store.

When you get the list of pennied guide at game crazy it will be helpful if you can share it here.

The trading section is here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

See that number next to iTrader? Thats the feeback rating from trading here. Normally people with lower feedback send first

hmm. sounds like a plan. I mean i have some guides i already dont want, i collect guides...have over 100 strat guides spanning old and new games and i am keeping those. but next time we have a drop, i'll copy the sheet so i can bring it home to post it on here for you all and then see what I can do about procuring some. i'd PROBABLY only be able to get 1-2 of each, but hey, 1-2 better than none, right? But i'll keep you all posted. I do TONS of eBaying, thats why i asked, im at like 300 transactions, only buying though, starting selling in Jan cuz i got like $500-800 worth of duplicate and triplicate old school games that i plan on making top dollar for.

If you let us know as soon as they drop, then we can go snag them before they get taken. I think the drop message is sent to everyone at the same time correct?

I forget, was the Spring 2007 Codes and Cheats book(yellow cover) pennied @ Best Buy? I ask because I saw ONE copy last night at a local BB, but it was beat to hell so I didn't even bother grabbing it in case it WAS pennied.

But, I did grab one of those fluorescent yellow and hot pink Sex Pistols Guitar Hero faceplates(for the Les Paul guitar).

I'll include it free(but probably packed only between two pieces of cardboard or next to a guide) when someone grabs a guide or guide bundle from my TL, since it's of no use to me, but I apparently can't resist ANY pennied stuff.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I forget, was the Spring 2007 Codes and Cheats book(yellow cover) pennied @ Best Buy? [/quote]
yes it is pennied out.

will be addding the latest EB drop to the wiki shortly.

[quote name='donut']A staff member was checking out with a drink, a movie and 2 HB Zelda TP guides Collector's editions...I swear the total was $7.xx, so I grab one of two remaining TP guides to have it scanned...still $29.99..and I have observed this staff member conducting price changes in the video section on one occassion...[/quote]
Riddle solved.
The Best Buy employee discount gets them stuff at a certain % over cost. Great for books and accessories, not so great for computers and game systems.

[quote name='avatar94']Riddle solved.
The Best Buy employee discount gets them stuff at a certain % over cost. Great for books and accessories, not so great for computers and game systems.[/quote]

lol so % over cost of 2 Limited Hard Back TP guides ($29.99 retail each) , one DVD movie (not sure of title) and a drink with 8.9% tax would only be $7.xx? Magazine/Book margins are 20-40% ... still a mystery to me...I am aware of the BB staff discount/cost plus %

[quote name='donut']lol so % over cost of 2 Limited Hard Back TP guides ($29.99 retail each) , one DVD movie (not sure of title) and a drink with 8.9% tax would only be $7.xx? Magazine/Book margins are 20-40% ... still a mystery to me...I am aware of the BB staff discount/cost plus %[/quote]
It's possible. The drink would have been probably a dollar. The movie's a bit of a random factor but it could have been some bargain bin junk that was also maybe a buck or so on the discount. Leaving the books to be like $2xx. When I worked there several years ago the guides were usually just a few bucks on the discount but I agree that it does seem a bit low for hard cover collector's guides.

Also, you said it was the Twilight Princess Collector's guide but you didn't say it was the newer revised edition. It's very likely that they had some of last year's version left hiding and the price has dropped.

The only other possibility I can think of is that he had some hidden gift card or Reward Zone coupon that you didn't see.

I wish Barnes and Noble and Borders actually knocked their guides down. It's such a tease to walk in there and see all the guides I'd love to buy for cheap. Hell, I found a Final Fantasy 7 guide in two seperate Borders.

FYE is even worse. I went in there today and they still want 19.99 for a Sonic and the Secret Rings guide. Some of their guides go back just as far though, and they expect a high price for them.

Is there somewhere that I can see a list of all of the pennied guides? I would like to go search for some, but I don't want to look through all 75 pages of this topic to gather a list.

[quote name='nado']Is there somewhere that I can see a list of all of the pennied guides? I would like to go search for some, but I don't want to look through all 75 pages of this topic to gather a list.[/QUOTE]

Check out the Wiki, the link to it is right at the top of the first post in this thread.

[quote name='Antic']I wish Barnes and Noble and Borders actually knocked their guides down. It's such a tease to walk in there and see all the guides I'd love to buy for cheap. Hell, I found a Final Fantasy 7 guide in two seperate Borders.

FYI is even worse. I went in there today and they still want 19.99 for a Sonic and the Secret Rings guide. Some of their guides go back just as far though, and they expect a high price for them.[/quote]

Actually, FYE HAS pennied out guides before, though it's tough to get info on when they do and which ones got dropped. But, I found a copy of the guide for Psi-Ops about a year or so ago which had dropped to .01 and someone else(much earlier in this thread or in the last one) mentioned at least 2 other guides dropping, including a fairly recent one(possibly Resistance or another current gen title).

[quote name='lobitoh']anyone knows if the update version of Virtua fighter 5 has been pennied?[/quote]

I've checked it recently at BB + GS and it's still full price.

im out of the loop with the penny guides since the beginning of fall. but i lucked out today to a gamestop i had never been to with really awesome employees.

x2 Final Fantasy Dirge of Cerebrus
x2 Xenosaga III
x1 Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
x1 Hack // GU Vol. 1
x1 Gears of War LE (finally got a sealed one!)
x1 Shining Force EXA

[quote name='Number83']Target has the Ultimate National Pokedex clearanced to $8.98. It's not a penny, but it's not full price either...hey, I'm trying![/quote]this is the reduced thread.. not the pennied thread.. welcome aboard. I got Super Paper Mario for 50% off ($7.48) at Target

[quote name='donut']GS/EB today!
Warhawk
Lair
Darkness
PGR4
Spectrobes
World of Warcraft Binder
Socom PSP
that's all I know of so far...[/quote]

PGR 4 and Warhawk guides ringing up a penny now? Or they just price reduced?

[quote name='donut']GS/EB today!
Warhawk
Lair
Darkness
PGR4
Spectrobes
World of Warcraft Binder
Socom PSP
that's all I know of so far...[/quote]

thanks for the list donut. which WoW Bunder is it? and is the Socom for PSP the 1st or 2nd one? will be adding these to the wiki once confirmed.

[quote name='heatdolphins45']thanks for the list donut. which WoW Bunder is it? and is the Socom for PSP the 1st or 2nd one? will be adding these to the wiki once confirmed.[/quote]

GS/EB
World of Warcraft Brning Crusade Bunder and Guide 871860
Brady PGR4 832153
Brady The Darkness 832078
Brady Dawn of Mana 832066
Brady Spectrobes 832063
Brady Socom US Navy Seals Tactical Strike 832172

Still seeking -
Lair
Warhawk

Hope this helps all!

[quote name='reibeatall']I'll confirm those ones that donut posted, plus the Prima Codes 2007 volume 2 book.[/quote]Yay, more guides I won't find at my local EB/GS. :roll:

[quote name='shrike4242']Yay, more guides I won't find at my local EB/GS. :roll:[/quote]

Take a shot tonight...it's the holidaiz...and perhaps they are behind with lists like this...my nearby stores have the Prez of the company stopping by tomorrow, so I had to hustle but my fave store has a new manager that tossed a ton out this morning...lol if I were younger...I might've checked out that dumpster! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back