Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing there's more than one, but it's probably a lot of the more obscure guides (like Ninja turtles, Leggo Indiana Jones, cheat codes, etc).

Has anyone found/tried Brutal Legend, or R&C?

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Ugh...i came into Panera to post a picture on my netbook but photobucket won't load on their shitty internet blocks it I think this is the picture but I can't tell it might be another one off my photobucket account...fuck panera
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg281/irishsoccermbw/photo-1.jpg[/QUOTE]

I want to know what the other $11.01 is for...:D

Thanks to everyone who went out first thing and checked today.

so it sounds like (so far, and I'll edit this post):

Brutal Legend (verbal confirmation)
Call of Duty MW 2 - Reflex (verbal confirmation)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (receipt confirmation)
Star Wars: Clone Wars RH (verbal confirmation)
Tekken 6 (maybe, only at scanner, not at register)

[quote name='shieryda']I want to know what the other $11.01 is for...:D

Thanks to everyone who went out first thing and checked today.[/QUOTE]

Camera case
dildo
and pennied candy which I was surprised to see by the register.

**tekken 6 didn't drop, it rung up at .01 at one of the scanners but at register it was full price**

[quote name='Shan82']I'm guessing there's more than one, but it's probably a lot of the more obscure guides (like Ninja turtles, Leggo Indiana Jones, cheat codes, etc).

Has anyone found/tried Brutal Legend, or R&C?[/QUOTE]

Guide Collector price checked Lego Indy and reported that it didn't drop in post #725.

As for the other ones, maybe I'll take a swing by in a little while and see if I can find a copy of Prototype or Brutal Legend or maybe Saw, since I haven't seen any of those mentioned as of yet.

I would love a smash up guides. I hope that pennys out. I wonder how long this penny guide thing has been going on for at BB.

I would've checked more at the RSS, but there were too many employees around the computers to do much. At least they didn't pull anything.

Anyway, I'm going in to work in a few hours, so hopefully I can figure out everything that dropped.

[quote name='loxthefox']I would've checked more at the RSS, but there were too many employees around the computers to do much. At least they didn't pull anything.

Anyway, I'm going in to work in a few hours, so hopefully I can figure out everything that dropped.[/QUOTE]Sounds like a good gameplan to me. I'm sure we'll all be waiting with baited breath.

Brutal Legend and SW:CW RH dropped. GTA4:EFLC and WWE:SvR 2010 scanned at full price. Couldn't find a copy of anything else on the list.

All the guides from the potential drop list that have been found for a penny have been Prima. Halo Wars is as well so that is the exception so far.

[quote name='snowmint']I would love a smash up guides. I hope that pennys out. I wonder how long this penny guide thing has been going on for at BB.[/QUOTE]

I remember getting them as far back as '02 or so.

[quote name='ballbarfer']how do u make google cache links...i'd like one for SW CW RH[/QUOTE]You don't make them, you put in the search parameters into Google, and if there's a cached version of the page, it'll have a "Cached" link next to the description.

That's the link that would show the cached version of the page, not the current one. And I added it into my post above with the cached link for the SW: CW - RH guide.

[quote name='shrike4242']You don't make them, you put in the search parameters into Google, and if there's a cached version of the page, it'll have a "Cached" link next to the description.

That's the link that would show the cached version of the page, not the current one. And I added it into my post above with the cached link for the SW: CW - RH guide.[/QUOTE]

what are the search parameters you'd put in google?

@LordSMVS: it shows as in stock if it is in stock in their system. Even if they have pulled them, it'll still show as in stock as long as it is showing as available in their system.

[quote name='LordSMVS']Is the system reflective of the pulled guides? For me, it shows things in stock in stores where they have been pulled.[/QUOTE]They're still probably in the system as valid stock at the moment, though that might change in the future. Unless BB marks them as disposed in the system or whatever they do to take them out of inventory, they'll still show up in the system. Worth a look if you're near to a store and not already checked it.

[quote name='ballbarfer']what are the search parameters you'd put in google?[/QUOTE]I've tried "bestbuy.com Tekken 6 (Game Guide)" as one that found the Tekken 6 cached page. Not all of them work, such as the one for GTA: LCS, since there's a landing page for the 360 game, the PS3 game and the guide that's cached, though not the page for the guide itself only.

They are most likely sitting in the warehouse in a box. They don't get taken out of the system until they get shipped out.

Also is there are 3 or less of an item it will show up as out of stock on the website.

[quote name='confoosious']I wouldn't trust the inventory checker except when it's out of stock. And even then... you might get lucky.[/QUOTE]The inventory checker pulls from RSS, and RSS is updated in real time.

If a store is showing that they're unavailable, there's 0-2 copies on-hand. If it shows that it's available, there's 3+ copies on-hand.

Again, this precludes them from being pulled and showing as such, though it takes someone in the operations area of the store to mark them as non-viable store stock or something like that.

Adding further confirmation of Brutal Legend and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 having dropped.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/JediJames2/Picture039.jpg?t=1266859122

Also scanned the following guides at the register and they DID NOT drop as of 10:45 am:

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex
Champions Online
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (PSP)
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City
Halo Wars
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Prince Of Persia
Prototype
Ratchet And Clank Future: A Crack In Time
Tekken 6
Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010

Also saw but did not check on Star Wars Clone Wars Republic Heroes. Somehow slipped my mind. If it did drop like others have said, not the end of the world, not interested in that game anyway. Just happy about the Brutal Legend guide (since I got the game last week with the Reward Zone coupon).

[quote name='shrike4242']The inventory checker pulls from RSS, and RSS is updated in real time.

If a store is showing that they're unavailable, there's 0-2 copies on-hand. If it shows that it's available, there's 3+ copies on-hand.

Again, this precludes them from being pulled and showing as such, though it takes someone in the operations area of the store to mark them as non-viable store stock or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Right, someone could have pulled the guides for EXTERMINATION and haven't gotten around to processing them yet. I just don't want people to get all heated when a guide isn't available at their store despite inventory checker.

Plus, this is retail. During the whole EA Sims card thing, my BB showed 20 cards in stock but nobody could find them in the store. :bomb:

I have verified the following via a register and a person scanning them at BESTBUY:

NOT PENNIED OUT
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex
Champions Online
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City
Halo Wars
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Prince Of Persia
Prototype
Ratchet And Clank Future: A Crack In Time
Saw
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010

THESE WERE PENNIED OUT
Star Wars Clone Republic
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Fossil Fighters - OLD pennied out
Transformers 2 - OLD pennied out

Hope this saves some people some time.

[quote name='shrike4242']The inventory checker pulls from RSS, and RSS is updated in real time.

Again, this precludes them from being pulled and showing as such, though it takes someone in the operations area of the store to mark them as non-viable store stock or something like that.[/QUOTE]

I had something show up unavailable but when I got to the store there were 3 copies

[quote name='confoosious']Right, someone could have pulled the guides for EXTERMINATION and haven't gotten around to processing them yet. I just don't want people to get all heated when a guide isn't available at their store despite inventory checker.

Plus, this is retail. During the whole EA Sims card thing, my BB showed 20 cards in stock but nobody could find them in the store. :bomb:[/QUOTE]People will get heated about guides and their availability no matter what you say.

[quote name='62t']I had something show up unavailable but when I got to the store there were 3 copies[/QUOTE]The split between being in-stock on BB.com and not being in-stock at BB.com has always been explained to me as 3+/0-2. If I'm off by one, then my apologies, though that's what two different operations managers over the course of the last few years have said.

grabbed clone wars, only copy! houston, dont bother with galleria or katy freeway, they had massive pulls of all of them this morning, except the one i was lucky enough to find, had to go thru manager oks, lol

I checked two of my local BBs here in MD. All of the guides on lox's list were already pulled, except for a single mutilated Halo Wars guide which hadn't pennied anyway.

Too bad...I would have liked a GTA Episodes guide.

I don't have time to make a proper list now but I believe the guides that dropped were all Prima? Has Best Buy dropped them in seperate weeks by publisher? I so maybe next Monday or perhaps the 1st of March.

Also as noted a few guides did drop in price like Left 4 Dead 2 to $9.99. Maybe lox can compile a list? I probably won't be able to til Wednesday night.

Confirming these dropped:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
SW Republic Heroes
TMNT Smash-Up
Brutal Legend

Scanned at full price:

Halo Wars:bomb:
Halo ODST
Prototype
Scribblenauts:bomb:
Tekken 6:bomb:
GTA 4

I saw Tekken 6 come up as $19.99 when it scanned, not a penny.
Saw a Marvel UA 2 but I forgot to scan that one.

Confirming Brutal Legends, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Star Wars Clone Wars at Best BGuy in Woodbridge NJ. I grabbed a copyfor myslef and at least 1 extra of each for trade or anyone not lucky to get a copy and needs one.

They still have plenty left of each guide as of 5 minutes ago

They were full of guides yesterday but now all the penny guides are gone. Picked up Brutal Legend for $20 but it would have been sweet to get a guide with it as well. They still had all the suspected drops that haven't been dropped, so maybe I will get lucky next week. I'm hoping a CAG came and cleared them out cuz I didn't get there til 12:30. Thanx anyway for the updates.

I don't think this a case of CAGs or hoarders, there is no way it could have been. I think they were instructed to do something this morning, or yesterday..if my 430pm BB that had them on a table last time doesn't have them, I'll know for sure something was up! In fact, the one I went to today, I flat out asked the guy, "did you pull a lot of guides this morning?" He had the biggest shit-eating-grin on his face and said, "Yeah, they're all in the back!" Like he knew exactly what I was after..

I tried to trick the website into letting me order one of the brutal legend guides for pickup, but when I click add to cart it tells me that said item is not available for online purchase. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back