Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya thanks shieryda! I thought about it, but went to check Target clearance instead..(finally saw a :ps3: Band Hero bundle for $44.98, but just couldn't pull the trigger!) Glad you checked more than just the LE/CE's, I know thats what we all want, but I would have said to check some regular ones..it'd be nice for the Saboteur to drop so I can finally get into that game proper..

[quote name='token2k6']ya thanks shieryda! I thought about it, but went to check Target clearance instead..(finally saw a :ps3: Band Hero bundle for $44.98, but just couldn't pull the trigger!) Glad you checked more than just the LE/CE's, I know thats what we all want, but I would have said to check some regular ones..it'd be nice for the Saboteur to drop so I can finally get into that game proper..[/QUOTE]
Speaking of The Saboteur, did you happen to get in on the deal from the EA Store and get it for $5 shipped?

I ask because the $15 off code is back up on RecycleBank now and I have enough credits to get the code, but there's no free shipping code out there right now for the EA Store and I've heard they charge like $9 a game shipping.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Speaking of The Saboteur, did you happen to get in on the deal from the EA Store and get it for $5 shipped?

I ask because the $15 off code is back up on RecycleBank now and I have enough credits to get the code, but there's no free shipping code out there right now for the EA Store and I've heard they charge like $9 a game shipping.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

crap no! I didn't look into that EA Store deal b/c it seemed like a lot of hoops to go thru..(now you're going to say it wasn't..) picked it up on the GS price drop tip for like $17.99 or whatever, had some credit so decided why not. First time to play it for 30 mins, I was very impressed, but a main rule of mine is NEVER start an open world / sandbox game without a guide in hand! If I got a code on the manual, I'll PM it your way!

[quote name='token2k6']crap no! I didn't look into that EA Store deal b/c it seemed like a lot of hoops to go thru..(now you're going to say it wasn't..) picked it up on the GS price drop tip for like $17.99 or whatever, had some credit so decided why not. First time to play it for 30 mins, I was very impressed, but a main rule of mine is NEVER start an open world / sandbox game without a guide in hand! If I got a code on the manual, I'll PM it your way![/QUOTE]

I got lucky and someone PM'd me a $15 off $20 code they had already been emailed to use on the EA Store. Plus, at the time there was another code that gave $20 off of $40 AND free shipping.

Both of them stacked and hilarity ensued.;) Many of us ordered 9 $19.99 games. The first code($15 off $20) took $15 off of EACH game. Then the $20 off $40 took $20 off the rest. I think I paid something like $25-26 for 9 games shipped free to my house. I sold 4-5 of them to recoup my cost and I got the remaining games for free.:D

[quote name='token2k6']crap no! I didn't look into that EA Store deal b/c it seemed like a lot of hoops to go thru..(now you're going to say it wasn't..) picked it up on the GS price drop tip for like $17.99 or whatever, had some credit so decided why not. First time to play it for 30 mins, I was very impressed, but a main rule of mine is NEVER start an open world / sandbox game without a guide in hand! If I got a code on the manual, I'll PM it your way![/QUOTE]

You don't need a guide for this game. You can buy in-game maps and they show all the collectible locations. Anything else you need to know can probably be found on Youtube.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I don't think he was around in the 80's....[/QUOTE]

I was born in 89, but even I got that one. :p

I'm glad I wasn't drinking soda while reading this page since I would have blown it out my nose. :p

BTW, did anyone scan the FO3 GOTY CE?

ok so a little later than i thought, i scanned all the collectors guides my store had (including fallout) all came up normal.

my store didn't have a saboteur guide so i can't confirm that one, but they did have far cry 2 and batman AA both rang up as normal price.

Also maybe of note is alot of the guides were pulled to make room for lost planet 2, RDR, and the alan wake collectors guide. SO i couldn't check anymore out but maybe some others had some better luck.

[quote name='DragynFyre']my store didn't have a saboteur guide so i can't confirm that one, but they did have far cry 2 and batman AA both rang up as normal price. [/QUOTE]
Far Cry 2 pennied last drop (@ Best Buy). It was full price?

yeah atleast thats what the employee said (it didn't have a tag) but now i'm pissed because thats the one i've been waiting for and sometimes my best buy is late in dropping there prices

Found a GS time forgot with a cool ass employee. He said if I can get ther before he toss them he has no problem selling them to me for a penny. My haul today :
2 X Assassin's Creed 2 CE
Final Fantasy: Dissidia
Forza 3
Magna Carta 2
Ratchet & Clank: Crack In Time
And all wear sealed. Adding the ones I did not have sealled to my collection and the rest to my trade list. Alas though Aliens Vs. Predator still eludes me. I think I hit all most all the GS in CT looking for it. That's how I found this one GS. Definitly will have to stop there net GS drop.

[quote name='TheWooz']Found a GS time forgot with a cool ass employee. He said if I can get ther before he toss them he has no problem selling them to me for a penny. My haul today :[/QUOTE]

I can believe that a GS might still have really old guides, but the bit about "before he tosses them" makes no sense. These are two months old. Why would he suddenly have to toss them? That usually happens the day of or day after the actual drop. :whistle2:s

[quote name='Zippon']I can believe that a GS might still have really old guides, but the bit about "before he tosses them" makes no sense. These are two months old. Why would he suddenly have to toss them? That usually happens the day of or day after the actual drop. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]
I think I found one where the lazy or they missed a drop.

[quote name='TheWooz']Found a GS time forgot with a cool ass employee. He said if I can get ther before he toss them he has no problem selling them to me for a penny. My haul today :
2 X Assassin's Creed 2 CE
Final Fantasy: Dissidia
Forza 3
Magna Carta 2
And all wear sealed. Adding the ones I did not have sealled to my collection and the rest to my trade list. Alas though Aliens Vs. Predator still eludes me. I think I hit all most all the GS in CT looking for it. That's how I found this one GS. Definitly will have to stop there net GS drop.[/QUOTE]

What part of CT are you in...?

[quote name='gantt']Frosty The Batman: our (mostly) silent guardian, our watchful protector (from stealth drops), our Cold Dark Knight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I'm not so big on message boards. I don't really post that much. I don't wanna contribute to useless "did anything drop" posts or all the useless message board name calling and what not. I don't get to contribute nearly as much as I benefit from this site.

Anyways today was my first day back since Sunday and I didn't find any new info. Everything is as it was as of my last update.

On a side note, I'm trying to leave Best Buy for Gamestop. I'll still have inside access at Best buy from all my friends plus the inside scoop from Gamestop which I notice we lack. It's a long shot so I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

On another side note, I found 7 guides at a thrift store for $1 each.
Silent Hill 1, Silent Hill 2, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Dino Crisis, Final Fantasy VIII (EB Games exclusive cover and poster, which I think was missing.), Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story. Not sure what I'm keeping or what I'm trade/auctioning soon.

[quote name='TheWooz']
And all were sealed. [/QUOTE]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I've been looking for a sealed copy for ages!

[quote name='TheWooz']I drive all around CT for work. Instead of taking breaks and lunches I make stops at GS or BB or Target.[/QUOTE]
I sometimes go to northern CT, down 395 if I'm feeling ambitious every month or so. If I see anything interesting I'll let you know

Thanks
Never have too much luck out that way not many places to stop and check out.
[quote name='mickeyu422']I sometimes go to northern CT, down 395 if I'm feeling ambitious every month or so. If I see anything interesting I'll let you know[/QUOTE]

Quite possible I have been to every BestBuys in CT and most gamestops. My job brings me to different areas not always the same. I am might not stop some where for a month or two.
[quote name='Visc']I only got to 2 Best Buys and 4 gamestops myself, I'm wondering if we've been hitting the same ones.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the following today for a total of about $25 between two different stores:
Fable II LE guide ($15)
PDZ guide ($2.50)
PGR3 guide ($2.50)
Starcraft guide ($1)
Mechcommander guide/manual thingymajigger ($1)
Starcraft Brood War Exp Pack (actual exp pack, not a guide) ($2)

[quote name='dabamus']I picked up the following today for a total of about $25 between two different stores:
Fable II LE guide ($15)
PDZ guide ($2.50)
PGR3 guide ($2.50)
Starcraft guide ($1)
Mechcommander guide/manual thingymajigger ($1)
Starcraft Brood War Exp Pack (actual exp pack, not a guide) ($2)[/QUOTE]

And that helps us how?

It doesn't, but I figured I'd post it anyways since it is reduced price guides, and since there aren't any drops to talk about...

[quote name='shoe478']And that helps us how?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dabamus']It doesn't, but I figured I'd post it anyways since it is reduced price guides, and since there aren't any drops to talk about...[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah shoe QFT! we also come here to report hauls we find too. The only thing I was going to say about dabamus initial post was WHERE? and if he could get anymore for us CAGs ;)

The Fable LE, PDZ, PGR4, and a True Crime guide were at a local chain called The Exchange, and the others were at a book store call M&P books.

My gamecrazy has signs on the door everything 20-30% off. So not penny guides but still it's something. May want to hold out a little longer though.

[quote name='guidecollector']My gamecrazy has signs on the door everything 20-30% off. So not penny guides but still it's something. May want to hold out a little longer though.[/QUOTE]

Word of advice for you...

Go in their a lot during the closeout and make friends with some of the workers. Buy some guides that you really want at 50% and 60% otherwise they will more than likely be gone. Most the other stuff can be had in the last 10 days for 1.99 when they mark all guides at that price. One of the guys that was at the one by me ended up giving me all the guides I wanted for $0.25 per guide in the last few days.

[quote name='guidecollector']So your store closed already? They don't have a universal close date then?[/QUOTE]

No, my local store closes Wednesday. Nothing universal

oh now we're starting this a day before, instead of the day of? Oh well..thought to myself, I really need to bite the bullet and buy the Dragon Age CE at full price before there is a rogue pull and I miss my chance..maybe a few others too. Wish there were at least a round of 10% off coupons going around..

LMAO I went to the one further off Best Buy today where I know I ALWAYS get denied(for the hell of it). I didn't see either of the two African American cashiers who ALWAYS say that if something rings up .01 it's to be sold for cover price ONLY, so I figured I was in the clear.

I took one copy of the four copies of Codes & Cheats Summer 2009 that I found in their re-arranged mini book section. I knew it would probably ring up a penny, so I tried the one cashier who was about 5-7 years younger than me. I started with the 'on clearance' dealie. No go. He went to ask someone.#-o

Out of nowhere, not one but both of the usual cockblocking chicks show up.:roll: WTF!?!? Do they never take a day off?

It's not that I needed/wanted the stupid code books anyway, but I almost always find a lone pennied guide there and I just keep trying for shits and giggles.

Anyway, just before being denied today the employees in the media section kept telling me how they don't even do their own pulls anymore as they have some lady who comes in and does them and she's 'very thorough'.:lol: So thorough she missed a guide from last fuckin' year.

Ahhh well. I guess maybe I would've stayed under the radar at this store had I not come in the first and second times and cleared out about 40-50 guides that were all magically a penny.;)

[quote name='token2k6']oh now we're starting this a day before, instead of the day of? Oh well..thought to myself, I really need to bite the bullet and buy the Dragon Age CE at full price before there is a rogue pull and I miss my chance..maybe a few others too. Wish there were at least a round of 10% off coupons going around..[/QUOTE]

You could get it with the game to get 15% off (at BB) and then return the game! (I don't think that's considered return fraud?) I did that for a MW2 CE guide I really wanted and may get it with the Allen Wake CE guide, as well! :x At least this way I feel I'm giving something back to BB back for all those penny guides they've given me over the last year! :D

And, LOL, IATCG, weren't you the one who monickered just hauling up as many guides as you could, at once? ;) I wonder if they've started re-doing the way they pull guides because of the sheer amount of penny guides they let lose? :eek:

[quote name='Shan82']You could get it with the game to get 15% off (at BB) and then return the game! (I don't think that's considered return fraud?) I did that for a MW2 CE guide I really wanted and may get it with the Allen Wake CE guide, as well! :x At least this way I feel I'm giving something back to BB back for all those penny guides they've given me over the last year! :D

And, LOL, IATCG, weren't you the one who monickered just hauling up as many guides as you could, at once? ;) I wonder if they've started re-doing the way they pull guides because of the sheer amount of penny guides they let lose? :eek:[/QUOTE]

By the way, this seems to work with any guide, any game. And, in fact, any book, any game, as I got 15% off a lego sticker book earlier this year.

Most recently I got $5 off the Fallout 3 GOTY version by buying it in conjunction with a Modnation Racers PS3 preorder box ($5).

[quote name='shieryda']Another waste of gas/time today. None of the CE guides dropped at BB.[/QUOTE]

How were you able to remember that it was a monday without Ballbarfer reminding everyone that it's monday and that someone should check the guides?

in all seriousness, thanks for checking, shieryda.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Anyway, just before being denied today the employees in the media section kept telling me how they don't even do their own pulls anymore as they have some lady who comes in and does them and she's 'very thorough'.:lol: So thorough she missed a guide from last fuckin' year.[/QUOTE]
Is this at all BB's, or just that store? Why would they pay someone to do something that their employees should be doing? Better yet, why would the pay someone to do something that we do for free? Fu(king Best Buy.
Thanks for checking, shieryda!

[quote name='drawingboard']Is this at all BB's, or just that store? Why would they pay someone to do something that their employees should be doing? Better yet, why would the pay someone to do something that we do for free? Fu(king Best Buy.
Thanks for checking, shieryda![/QUOTE]
Not a clue. But I know when we had that last drop and the employees were ordered to check every last guide by the one lady manager, they all kind of groaned.

I think they must've been trained by the same people who trained the Sears employees to stand by the tv's and bs all day, since any time they have to do something that requires them to do work the employees all groan about it.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not a clue. But I know when we had that last drop and the employees were ordered to check every last guide by the one lady manager, they all kind of groaned.

I think they must've been trained by the same people who trained the Sears employees to stand by the tv's and bs all day, since any time they have to do something that requires them to do work the employees all groan about it.:lol:[/QUOTE]
Hell, last BB drop, one BB's shelves were practically empty, except for some guides that dropped previously that no one bothered to pull. I nabbed an extra Metroid Prime Trilogy just so it wasn't a total loss. I'm pretty sure its now (since CC went under) BB's policy to not please their customers in anyway whatsoever. I'm starting to think this is the end of getting guides at BB. With Gamestop being Nazis, TRU forgetting how to penny guides, and Game Crazy closing, I'm about to just give up :whistle2:(

im at the point now where may as well just realize amazon is going to be your best bet so if you want a guide bad pay the 13ish it is on amazon. it was just nice being able to get a read copy of an rpg guide for my collection.

[quote name='gauu']im at the point now where may as well just realize amazon is going to be your best bet so if you want a guide bad pay the 13ish it is on amazon. it was just nice being able to get a read copy of an rpg guide for my collection.[/QUOTE]
I bit the bullet last week when I picked up Red Dead Redemption and grabbed a copy of the guide at Gamestop for $15-16 rather than wait till they penny and hope beyond hope that I get a lenient cashier.

It's become pretty tough to get them locally, but whenever I go out of town on business I seem to have much better luck, assuming I find any on the shelf in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back