Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really am starting to miss the good old days where finding Penny guides was easy...

It seems like the whole penny guide thing will soon be over :(

[quote name='scarhawk']Welll I just found about it. I hauled in every penny guide I saw. That includes 14 Bakugan guides >_>[/QUOTE]

14 guides no one will ever want. To take up shelf space forever and eternity. Have fun with those.

[quote name='scarhawk']Welll I just found about it. I hauled in every penny guide I saw. That includes 14 Bakugan guides >_>[/QUOTE]

Well if you have a bonfire it will be worth it..just stay way from the fumes.

[quote name='scarhawk']They should sell for $2-4 each. Just checked ebay and 1 guy sold like 7 for 5 bucks a piece s/h. THERE'S STILL HOPE! *cries*[/QUOTE]
fuck you

[quote name='rvdnsx']Scored a decent haul at the Kildeer, IL store. Got a couple Crackdown 2, Singularity, Bakugan, and the 2 I've been looking for, an Alan Wake LE and God of War III Ultimate. The cashier was shocked and even showed the stack to a fellow employee, "Look, this whole stack costed 11 cents!"[/QUOTE]

Posing this info and location on SD (bumping the thread for the "ego" op over there) is not the "brightest" thing to do...:roll::roll::roll::roll:
2003? :booty:

[quote name='donut']Posing this info and location on SD (bumping the thread for the "ego" op over there) is not the "brightest" thing to do...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it "costed" him nothing...

Except maybe the ability for him or other CAGs to fiind pennied guides at that store again. But he got the attention he was craving, so it's all good.

I went back to the bestbuy that gave me trouble earlier for a DVD and they STILL have penny guides on the shelf! I don't get it. Why don't they remove them?

[quote name='gantt']Yeah, but it "costed" him nothing...

Except maybe the ability for him or other CAGs to fiind pennied guides at that store again. But he got the attention he was craving, so it's all good.[/QUOTE]

or SDers to get all the guides in the future at that store.
Highlighting the opportunity rather than just letting it lie will not bode well in potential future drops...

[quote name='confoosious']is it me or are people in this thread getting dumber?[/QUOTE]

More people overall means more dumb people overall. Plus, dumb people aren't known for thinking before speaking/posting thus they're disproportionately represented.

[quote name='neocisco']
[quote name='confoosious']is it me or are people in this thread getting dumber?[/QUOTE]
More people overall means more dumb people overall. Dumb people aren't known for thinking before speaking/posting.[/QUOTE]

At least its a change from all the "It's the end of penny guides forever" posts.

[quote name='kevzik']I went back to the bestbuy that gave me trouble earlier for a DVD and they STILL have penny guides on the shelf! I don't get it. Why don't they remove them?[/QUOTE]

As long as you keep your befuddlement to yourself and CAG. When I find a store like that, I silently thank them and resolve to give them more business. It makes me nervous that someone so concerned about a situation that benefits CAGs is in my area.

[quote name='gantt']As long as you keep your befuddlement to yourself and CAG. When I find a store like that, I silently thank them and resolve to give them more business. It makes me nervous that someone so concerned about a situation that benefits CAGs is in my area.[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to leave them alone. It's not worth the treatment I'll likely receive. I just don't understand them not taking them off the shelves when they don't want people the purchase them.

???? possible pre-pull.... Assassins Creed CE was pulled and the regular paper paper back are available in store. Online the CE edition is available to ship to store.... what ever that means....

[quote name='outtie']???? possible pre-pull.... Assassins Creed CE was pulled and the regular paper paper back are available in store. Online the CE edition is available to ship to store.... what ever that means....[/QUOTE]

I still see guides as available for pickup in my area (not ship to store, but actual pickup) , so I'm guessing it's not pulled from all stores... maybe you're seeing a fluke? Still, I'm hopeful.... that seems like a nice guide.

Drop at Gamestop today.

Went to pick up my Super Scribblenauts preorder today and saw a huge stack of pennied guides next to the register. The manager told me to look through 'em and grab any I wanted because it would save him a trip to the dumpster. I snapped a pic of all the ones they had:

Alpha Protocol
Bioshock 2 LE
God of War Collection
GTA: Episodes From Liberty City
Kayne and Lynch 2: Dog Days
LittleBigPlanet Super Book
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Resonance of Fate
Singularity
White Knight Chronicles
World of Warcraft: Dungeon Companion
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

This comes at the perfect time because I really wanted the LittleBigPlanet guide, but all the Best Buys in my area did pre-pulls during the last drop.

Good luck!

NICE!! I need GoW Collection and GTA: Episodes from Liberty City!! (if someone needed a GoW 3 LE ;) )

imma head to the only location I can still get them from after work.

[quote name='elrobo8']Drop at Gamestop today.

Went to pick up my Super Scribblenauts preorder today and saw a huge stack of pennied guides next to the register. The manager told me to look through 'em and grab any I wanted because it would save him a trip to the dumpster. I snapped a pic of all the ones they had:

Alpha Protocol
Bioshock 2 LE
God of War Collection
GTA: Episodes From Liberty City
Kayne and Lynch 2: Dog Days
LittleBigPlanet Super Book
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Resonance of Fate
Singularity
White Knight Chronicles
World of Warcraft: Dungeon Companion
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King

This comes at the perfect time because I really wanted the LittleBigPlanet guide, but all the Best Buys in my area did pre-pulls during the last drop.

Good luck![/QUOTE]
Sick part is that many of those guides were listed as 'not available' online as of last week already, so those may have all been from the drop last week where only The Saboteur was reported.

Thanks for reporting the drops, elrobo8 and moreover for putting them in RED.

Yay, more guides I won't find locally. Hopefully some CAGs will get lucky with them.

Good to know some of those dropped finally, like GOW Collection, MUA2 and WKC.

[quote name='shrike4242']Yay, more guides I won't find locally. Good to know some of those dropped finally.[/QUOTE]

awwww, that is a sad story :cry: kinda takes the fun out of it..I'm sure we'll try to get you covered!

[quote name='token2k6']awwww, that is a sad story :cry: kinda takes the fun out of it..I'm sure we'll try to get you covered![/QUOTE]The DM & RM out here are very very direct about penny guides, so there's never been any I've seen at any GS around this area.

Usually, other CAGs get lucky and it's not been much of an issue.

Second and third posts are updated with the drop info.....thanks again to elrobo8 for providing the information on this drop.

I'm just shocked that Just Cause 2's guide hasn't dropped as of yet. That came out sooner than K&L2 and I would've expected at least a drop on it at GS by now.

Then again my closest GS that I'm able to get guides from has a copy of it but it's beat to shit already(covers bent to hell, pages creased, etc).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Second and third posts are updated with the drop info.....thanks again to elrobo8 for providing the information on this drop.

I'm just shocked that Just Cause 2's guide hasn't dropped as of yet. That came out sooner than K&L2 and I would've expected at least a drop on it at GS by now.

Then again my closest GS that I'm able to get guides from has a copy of it but it's beat to shit already(covers bent to hell, pages creased, etc).[/QUOTE]Plenty of guides are out there for a while and don't drop, while others drop quickly.

I'm sure the JC2 guide will drop sooner or later.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sick part is that many of those guides were listed as 'not available' online as of last week already, so those may have all been from the drop last week where only The Saboteur was reported.

Thanks for reporting the drops, elrobo8 and moreover for putting them in RED.[/QUOTE]

The day Saboteur was reported I checked Singularity and it wasn't 1c. So this was dropped this week. Also the guy from GS didn't told me nothing about the other guides last week.

[quote name='shrike4242']Plenty of guides are out there for a while and don't drop, while others drop quickly.

I'm sure the JC2 guide will drop sooner or later.[/QUOTE]
You mean like FFXII LE, which about 3-4 of my local GS stores have about 10+ of sitting in their backrooms now?:cry:

The one store even had them stacked up on the floor under the other shelves of guides for a while to make a makeshift bottom shelf on that rack to put more guides on.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sick part is that many of those guides were listed as 'not available' online as of last week already, so those may have all been from the drop last week where only The Saboteur was reported.[/QUOTE]

"Sick" as in I'm feeling a little sick, because if they dropped last week the chance of getting them now is nearly nil. Most GS employees aren't that lazy about going to the dumpster.

This thread makes me a sad panda :whistle2:(

GS has been pulling their guides without fails around here. Now BB does the same. I'm in Pacific Northwest. Maybe the DMs here are ass tight.

[quote name='gantt']"Sick" as in I'm feeling a little sick, because if they dropped last week the chance of getting them now is nearly nil. Most GS employees aren't that lazy about going to the dumpster.[/QUOTE]

My Gamestops are pretty punctual about pulling guides. The one I saw the drops at today has pulled guides on day one ever since I've been penny guide hunting. Plus, I went to another Gamestop afterward and saw all the dropped guides on the shelf there, so I'm confident this is a fresh drop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sick part is that many of those guides were listed as 'not available' online as of last week already, so those may have all been from the drop last week where only The Saboteur was reported.

Thanks for reporting the drops, elrobo8 and moreover for putting them in RED.[/QUOTE]

It's a fresh drop. I checked the Bioshock 2 HC when Saboteur was reported. Everytime I check if a guide dropped, it drops within 3 days at GS. :bomb:

Edit: Did Metal Gear 4 ever drop at GS? Seems like it is due to drop.

[quote name='slowdive21']It's a fresh drop. I checked the Bioshock 2 HC when Saboteur was reported. Everytime I check if a guide dropped, it drops within 3 days at GS. :bomb:

Edit: Did Metal Gear 4 ever drop at GS? Seems like it is due to drop.[/QUOTE]
Metal Gear 4 softcover is still on the shelves at a couple of my local GS stores, so I'm gonna say it didn't drop. It seems like many really popular game's guides never drop or take forever.

[quote name='Pookymeister']some nice drops i won't get around here =[
Someone hoard for me.[/QUOTE]

Alright, but only because a mod asked nicely :lol:

[quote name='elrobo8']

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Did your store not have Alan Wake LE or did it just not drop?

Its like the only LE that has not dropped at GS but BB has.

[quote name='elrobo8']

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Did your store not have Alan Wake LE or did it just not drop? Its like the only LE that has not dropped at GS but BB has

Also noticed that NIER and Batman: Arkham Asylum dropped at my local GS. Happy hunting.

Edit: changed to red, sorry.

[quote name='nixmahn']Did your store not have Alan Wake LE or did it just not drop?

Its like the only LE that has not dropped at GS but BB has.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice any copies when I was looking at the guide rack, but I didn't think to keep an eye out for it.

[quote name='elrobo8']I didn't notice any copies when I was looking at the guide rack, but I didn't think to keep an eye out for it.[/QUOTE]

There were a few copies of the Alan Wake LE guide on the rack at my store, so it appears that it has not dropped. The staff seemed pretty thorough about grabbing copies of the recent drops.... I'm just assuming though, and you know what that means.....

Just a heads up for those who have BB that pull their guides.

The day of the drop, my local BB pulled all of the penny guides. I had the day off today and went by BB just to see if by chance someone put them back out. Sure enough, they had.

I scored an Alake Wake Bundle and a God of War LE. Missed out on the Bioshock 2 guide but did manage to get a couple of the lesser guides.

I also picked up the last copy of Silence of the Lamb on Blu Ray for $9.99. It was the Blu Ray/ DVD combo and should have been $19.99. It rang up $19.99 but the tag on the shelf had it marked for $9.99. Even though it had a different SKU than the $9.99, a real nice manger gave it to me for the lower price. Seems there are two different versions for different prices.

Anyway, Keep checking your BB.

Too bad I don't have a car or I would go and ask what was dropped. Would be nice to pick up God of War Collection, GTA, and LBP Super Book. Hopefully I can manage to grab one or each tomorrow.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Darksiders dropped also at Gamestop[/QUOTE]

Doh! Guess I should have waited an hour before heading out, store I was just at had two on the rack.

Was able to pick up one each of Alpha Protocol (two there total), Kayne and Lynch 2: Dog Days (two there total), Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (two there total) and Singularity (three there total). Guy ringing me up must have been new because his eyes bugged out when he saw the price and he started asking his manager next to him if the price was right and how could that be? I've gotten guides from this Gamestop before and thought all would be good; the manager this time seemed annoyed/upset and just sorta mumbled that someone must have gone on the internet, then starts going on about the agreement Gamestop has with guide publishers to destroy them, ect. and so on. I just asked, "Well if they are going to be destroyed anyway would you mind if I have them?". He just kinda grumbled, told the new guy to not ring them up and just hand them to me. Had planned to ask about the rest of the extras still on the rack but after seeing his mood I'd figure it'd be best not to press my luck any more than I already had.

Went out and checked 5 local Gamestops and no dice. Two of the stores had the guides sitting behind the counter already, two of them I got denied at (said they couldn't sell them), and the last one didn't have any. I've stopped getting excited about GS drops b/c I keep getting denied the sale :bomb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back