Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kiribee']My BB's still have dozens of Halo ODST guides.
I'm waiting for Starcraft CE myslef :)[/QUOTE]

All the Starcraft guides my local bestbuy had disappeared during the last drop. I think they may have pre-pulled them and sent them back with the rest of the guides from the last drop.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Super Mario Galaxy 2 and FF XIII LE's are my intended victims. Other guides from spring have dropped, they have to be soon no?[/QUOTE]

Super Mario takes forever, FF XIII LE are actually limited and numbered. I've ever only seen 1 at a GS. I don't think we'll see a drop on those.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Nope. Watching the Ms. Brazil paegant.;):applause: So did you make it back to Target to get the Bioshock 2 LE or was it long gone?[/QUOTE]

Nah I didn't make it back to Target yet unfortunately. I might try to go today after I get off of work (@ home on my lunch break now).

I'll have more time to this month seeing that there was an overtime contest @ work last month. I'm still awaiting the results to see who won, but I did pull about 80 hours last week. :shock::drool:

That $1000 AMEX GC was calling to me... :lol:

So about those guides... :roll::lol:

All the bestbuys near me are clean pretty much, guide sections are almost bare now. Currently waiting on Red Dead Redemption and Final Fantasy XIII CE to drop, been watching those guides for awhile now. Also nothing new at gamestop, checked when I picked up a workers packet to fill out.

Was at a BB over the weekend that had all guides from the October drops pulled except for the ME II CE guides. Really odd that they would miss those, possibly they were pulled and then mistakenly put back on the shelf on a subsequent day. Guess it pays to check the guide sections periodically the week or two after a drop.

It's likely that the cover confused employees. It doesn't even say Mass Effect 2 on the cover, just N7. No complaints from me, that most likely played a part in me being able to find one.

[quote name='Maniac Mansion']Nah I didn't make it back to Target yet unfortunately. I might try to go today after I get off of work (@ home on my lunch break now).

I'll have more time to this month seeing that there was an overtime contest @ work last month. I'm still awaiting the results to see who won, but I did pull about 80 hours last week. :shock::drool:

That $1000 AMEX GC was calling to me... :lol:

So about those guides... :roll::lol:[/QUOTE]
What guides are you talking about?;) I stopped back to my closest BB yesterday on the way home from the flea market and I returned both games I bought with the guides last week.:lol: They still had 1 each of the POP: FS, SC:C and UFC2010 guides as well as 4-5 of the NCAA Football 2011's left on the shelves.:whistle2:#

I can't justify spending $60+(even in credit) on two games when I might need/want that credit to go along with the $29 apiece I hopefully can still get at BB for the copies of the standalone DJ Hero I'm gonna buy up from GS. If all goes well I should have enough for a real LCD HDtv(22") from converting the GS credit over to BB credit.:applause:
[quote name='Ultragamer']All the bestbuys near me are clean pretty much, guide sections are almost bare now. Currently waiting on Red Dead Redemption and Final Fantasy XIII CE to drop, been watching those guides for awhile now. Also nothing new at gamestop, checked when I picked up a workers packet to fill out.[/QUOTE]
I'm half tempted to grab an application from GS myself, since it's looking like the place I did testing for at the beginning of LAST month isn't gonna call.:cry: As for the RDR guides, I'd love to get a few of those for a cent each, though I already paid MSRP for one at the game's launch(and never used it). Then again I did the same with GTA IV when it launched.:roll: I was right to do that though, since it was impossible to get guides from GS/BB when it finally dropped.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm half tempted to grab an application from GS myself, since it's looking like the place I did testing for at the beginning of LAST month isn't gonna call.:cry: As for the RDR guides, I'd love to get a few of those for a cent each, though I already paid MSRP for one at the game's launch(and never used it). Then again I did the same with GTA IV when it launched.:roll: I was right to do that though, since it was impossible to get guides from GS/BB when it finally dropped.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Better hurry if your gonna jump on that, all the seasonal positions in my area are taken, I believe I just made it in. Almost impossible to get a full/part time job at gamestop here.

I have considered buying the Red Dead Redemption guide at full price a couple times, but I can wait until it drops and risk it, if I don't get it i'm sure someone here will and then it's just a matter of arranging a trade.

[quote name='Ultragamer']

I have considered buying the Red Dead Redemption guide at full price a couple times, but I can wait until it drops and risk it, if I don't get it i'm sure someone here will and then it's just a matter of arranging a trade.[/QUOTE]

I thought about getting it from Borders with a 40% coupon once - but I found that the wikia for RDR was so good that I didn't need the guide...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I thought about getting it from Borders with a 40% coupon once - but I found that the wikia for RDR was so good that I didn't need the guide...[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster had it for $9.99 a while back...not sure but it may still be at that price... worth calling...

I just found a store in WV that's about 40 miles away from where I'm going to a soccer game this evening.

Said store has ACII LEs and WKC guides showing as in stock. :D

Can anyone say extended road trip?

[quote name='neocisco']dabamus, clear your PM's.[/QUOTE]
You know you could've just gone to his profile page and left a message on there to clear his PM's, right?;)

[quote name='neocisco']It's likely that the cover confused employees. It doesn't even say Mass Effect 2 on the cover, just N7. No complaints from me, that most likely played a part in me being able to find one.[/QUOTE]

Thats how I got mine at the Riverdale Utah store last week. I ended up still needing to mask the purchase with the Mass Effect 2 game which I later returned. The cashier was confused and was about to call a manager when I quickly said "I think there is a promotion or something going when you buy the game and guide". This is technically true, its like a 15% off thing when you buy both. I actually saw it come up on her screen when both were scanned in. I was worried this may cause a problem when I went to return the game because it might have seen the two as tied together in a "package" because of a "discount". However luckily this was not the case.

PM box has been cleared.

I just realized that SSIV pennied at BB. I could have picked up a bunch had I been paying attention...

I was late in checking the list the last couple of weeks but was able to snag the ACII LE, ME2 LE, and the regular Uncharted 2 from my Best Buy yesterday. They had another ACII and a few more ME2, but I was nervous to bring any more attention to myself especially with those stupid yellow stickers that I thought could be a distraction at the register. I peeled them off before I got up there just in case. It's funny because I bought a $7.99 CD so it might not be so obvious and the guy didn't say anything after the ACII and ME2 came up a penny, but when Uncharted 2 rang up like that he started to change it and I was like "Nah, it's supposed to be a penny. There's more back there if you want any for yourself" and he didn't screw with anything.

I happened to be near a BB I hadn't checked yet (they usually are good about pulling guides) and they had a lot of guides from this list. I grabbed 1 of each and took them to the register but eventually got denied :| I got quite a few guides and extras from this drop but I also have been denied more than ever.

I stopped into my usual good GS and plunked down a $5 pre-order on that :ps3:ESA Game Pack(contains Uncharted, Mercenaries 2 and Tomb Raider: Underworld) that's coming out next Tuesday for $29.99. I figure $10 a game ain't a bad deal for those three, especially since I never finished Mercs and I've been wanting to play TR: U.

While I was there I picked up an application, since they may be my last best hope in this crappy economy to get a job, but I was told to turn it in no later than Friday since they have ONE slot open for the holidays still.

I ended up asking if they had any leftover guides from the last drop and surprisingly they had a stack in the back left. I grabbed a lone World Of Warcraft: Wrath Of The Lich King softcover for the hell of it. It's even marked with a penny sticker.:)

So now I have to decide if I'm gonna use my B2G1 coupon on 3 games soon or wait till Epic Mickey or another game I'm mildly interested in comes out.

The BB near me didn't pull anything yet, it's my first time actually scoring alot from them.
got 2 of each of these:
Alan Wake
Bioshock 2
Dante's Inferno
God of War 3
God of War Collection
Nier
PoP Forgotten Sands
Splinter Cell Conviction
Transformers War for Cybertron
Uncharted 2
White Knight Chronicles

Unfortunately no AC2 LE or ME2 LE.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I thought about getting it from Borders with a 40% coupon once - but I found that the wikia for RDR was so good that I didn't need the guide...[/QUOTE]

A GOTY Edition of the game and guide is inevitable. Might as well just wait.

[quote name='DarkRider23']A GOTY Edition of the game and guide is inevitable. Might as well just wait.[/QUOTE]

Did the game even get placed as GOTY contender?

[quote name='Ultragamer']Did the game even get placed as GOTY contender?[/QUOTE]

Did Borderlands? :p I think RDR had much bigger critical acclaim, and I also think a GOTY version is inevitable.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Did the game even get placed as GOTY contender?[/QUOTE]

Game of the Year in this type of reference means it includes all downloadable content released since the game first came out.
Usually about a year after launch and when no more DLC is planned.
But yes, it will win a GOTY award from somebody something someplace.

Is the Dragon Age Origins LE guide a softcover or hardcover? I know the collector's edition is a hardcover. I have seen softcover guides (red and white artwork on front cover) but they don't say Limited Edition on the cover. If anyone has the LE guide please describe what it looks like. It is listed on page one as a penny guide. Thanks.

[quote name='yazman']Is the Dragon Age Origins LE guide a softcover or hardcover? I know the collector's edition is a hardcover. I have seen softcover guides (red and white artwork on front cover) but they don't say Limited Edition on the cover. If anyone has the LE guide please describe what it looks like. It is listed on page one as a penny guide. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The hardcover that dropped is the Collector's Edition guide. There is no LE guide. Since the publishers interchange CE and LE, it happens here as well.

Here's the Amazon link for the Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Collectors-Official/dp/076156246X/

[quote name='Shadowedge']The hardcover that dropped is the Collector's Edition guide. There is no LE guide. Since the publishers interchange CE and LE, it happens here as well.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what happened in this case. I don't keep up with most guides and whether or not they're called a 'collectors edition', 'limited edition' or a 'special edition', so whatever someone posts it as is how it ends up in the second post.:razz:

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']When did the Dragon Age LE guide drop ? was it recently or a long ass time ago ?[/QUOTE]

It dropped back at in June, finding a copy of it now is going to be a nearly impossible mission.

One of the BBs near me remodeled it's Video Game section and I found two copies of Bioshock 2 LE and one copy each of Codes And Cheats Spring 2010 and Army Of Two: The 40th Day.

Scored some more guides today at Best Buy and Gamestop. One Gamestop store refused to sell me a bunch of guides a while back. I decided to try it again since it was on route toward home. Well, they had quite a few of the penny guides, in fact their selection is better than most Gamestops in my area. I thought I might have better luck this time because the store was fairly quite and only one salesperson was working the register. The sales clerk looked at my stack of guides and confirmed they were a penny each. Then he said he had to go in the back room and would return shortly. My first thought was that he was going to ask someone if he could sell the guides to me. He comes back a few minutes later and says the manager won't let him sell the guides and that they have to destroy them. So, after being denied on 2 occasions it looks like the manager of this store follows the rules to the letter. It's just a shame that this particular store is a gold mine that is off limits for the penny deals. I can only hope the management changes some day in my favor. Most of the other Gamestops in my area will sell the guides or give them to me for free. Go figure!

[quote name='yazman']...a bunch of guides...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='yazman']...looked at my stack of guides...[/QUOTE]

Have you tried buying less than "bunches" or "stacks" to see if that works? ;)

[quote name='yazman']Scored some more guides today at Best Buy and Gamestop. One Gamestop store refused to sell me a bunch of guides a while back. I decided to try it again since it was on route toward home. Well, they had quite a few of the penny guides, in fact their selection is better than most Gamestops in my area. I thought I might have better luck this time because the store was fairly quite and only one salesperson was working the register. The sales clerk looked at my stack of guides and confirmed they were a penny each. Then he said he had to go in the back room and would return shortly. My first thought was that he was going to ask someone if he could sell the guides to me. He comes back a few minutes later and says the manager won't let him sell the guides and that they have to destroy them. So, after being denied on 2 occasions it looks like the manager of this store follows the rules to the letter. It's just a shame that this particular store is a gold mine that is off limits for the penny deals. I can only hope the management changes some day in my favor. Most of the other Gamestops in my area will sell the guides or give them to me for free. Go figure![/QUOTE]
That's why I only grab the ones I really want or the LE/SE/CE ones first and foremost. If they say no on those, then I'm not gonna bring up the rest and do their job for them.:razz:

Managed to pick up a couple more guides at my local BB...Spirit Tracks, SSFIV & Red Steel 2....that's the first time in a long time that guides have magically reappeared...

Finally sited one. First one I've found in months.
Mass Effect CE at BB. They probably didn't notice it because it doesn't really have the name of it on the front cover.

How long do you think it will take for the Call of Duty Black Ops Collector's Edition guide to drop ?

I know its now available yet but I just would like to know before hand.

P.S. this guide looks kickass but there is no way I am spending $35 or $22(amazon) on a guide for Call of Duty lol

crazy how this drop is just lingering..all those conspiracy theories about them doing pre-pulls via nationwide memo, or keeping track with RZ usage are practically going out the window!

I'm at the point where a couple I stopped at, I didn't even bother with b/c I need to get rid of what I have :lol:

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']How long do you think it will take for the Call of Duty Black Ops Collector's Edition guide to drop ?

I know its now available yet but I just would like to know before hand.

P.S. this guide looks kickass but there is no way I am spending $35 or $22(amazon) on a guide for Call of Duty lol[/QUOTE]

Considering the MW2 LE got pulled but never dropped, I doubt it ever will.

[quote name='token2k6']
I'm at the point where a couple I stopped at, I didn't even bother with b/c I need to get rid of what I have :lol:[/QUOTE]

Same here. I have left everything except for CE guides at the stores just because I don't have the shelf space. May pick up the last Bad Co 2 guide today when I head to Richmond to the Shinedown show tonight. Otherwise, I just left all the guides I saw on the shelf at the last 3 or 4 stores I've been to.

[quote name='token2k6']crazy how this drop is just lingering..all those conspiracy theories about them doing pre-pulls via nationwide memo, or keeping track with RZ usage are practically going out the window!

I'm at the point where a couple I stopped at, I didn't even bother with b/c I need to get rid of what I have :lol:[/QUOTE]

Many have reported (including myself) all guides pulled like clock work before opening for about a year now...I have to drive to another district some miles away...

[quote name='token2k6']crazy how this drop is just lingering..all those conspiracy theories about them doing pre-pulls via nationwide memo, or keeping track with RZ usage are practically going out the window!

An exception that proves the rule, perhaps? :whistle2:k

How long has it been since the last successful drop?
How many areas still got pulled this time? (Only one store near me had a couple of guides--the remainder of which were pulled the next day.)

This is kind of like saying global warming doesn't exist because of one cold winter. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back