Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ultragamer']By chance did you manage to see the full list of guides to pull while you were there?[/QUOTE]

No I didn't , he had them on a clip board but there were about 8 price tags in total and I didn't want to ask him since he was looking at me like I was scum of the earth lol. Why do they try pulled , price mistake ? Arent they looking to get rid of these things...

[quote name='Ultragamer']By chance did you manage to see the full list of guides to pull while you were there?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chakan']Regular edition of Epic Mickey pennied?[/QUOTE]

Confirmed not , only CE is pennied

first time ever completely shut out at bb drop, two store pulled, one denied (first time ever too), there goes 1/4 tank of gas..

you win this round bb

[quote name='BuDdyLe']Confirmed not , only CE is pennied[/QUOTE]

Thanks. My BB had a ton of regular editions; won't waste gas.

It seems more and more clear that Best Buy corporate is sending directives and communication requiring store employees to pull penny guides.
The overwhelming consistency that employees are pulling guides now pretty much guarantees that this is a new corporate directive, unfortunately.

Which means that, IMO, other than a minority of stores/employees not doing their jobs, penny guides are now quasi-officially dead for the most part.
Certainly nothing to be relied on, and with Gamestops long ago being YMMV and unreliable for penny guides, this entire thread unfortunately becomes a shadow of its former self's value.

Too bad - the days of reliable penny guides were fun while they lasted.

RIP.

My store always pulls guides. This time they didn't. I checked employee news and didn't find any info about a pull so I never got a list.

I was telling a friend about the drop today, and then he wanted to go do a search, and asked me to join him, so we went back to the first best buy I went to and forgot stuff at, and got him a few guides I left behind. Made his day.

Didn't go until 2pm which can be deadly as far as chances go. However was able to get. A full haul of every guide at 1 bb. Got some scraps at another bb. But the other 2 were empty (hopeffully other caggers)

So I'm at mall best buy and see some guides on the shelf. I'll get them after I eat I say, come back as they're being pulled. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was pulled as well.

I guess from now on my most reliable means is ordering from the website for pickup where it's available. Glad I got a SWTFU2 CE, bummed that I didn't get an Epic Mickey CE...

My instore pickup went so smoothly this morning, it was beyond belief. Got Dead Rising 2 guide for .01. While I was there, an employee helped me pick up other penny guides they had in stock, that showed as unavailable on the website. So I ended up getting Madden 11 and SW FU 2 CE also. This was at the Mission Viejo, CA Best Buy. Best Buy has screwed up so many deals for me in the past, this felt like a great karmic rebalancing. Also, and I know this is off topic in regards to guides, but this store actually still had those DJ Hero renegade cases that everybody else sold out on long ago. I think mine was five bucks when I bought it there several months ago, but anyone who's still looking for one and in OC, knock yourself out.

Have we confirmed that all of the guides listed in the one post by Ultragamer are all of the ones that dropped today?

If so, then I'll update the wiki post and so on.

got my store pickup guides today there computers were down and there was a lady passed out on the floor so between the paramedics and the down computers i dont think they had time to worry about how little i paid for a few guides

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Have we confirmed that all of the guides listed in the one post by Ultragamer are all of the ones that dropped today?

If so, then I'll update the wiki post and so on.[/QUOTE]

Cant confirm they are the only ones but can confirm each one of them I grabbed at my BB

All relevant posts(2nd, 3rd and 5th) on the first page have been updated using the list found in THIS post.

Thanks Ultragamer and all who checked/confirmed guides.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']All relevant posts(1st, 2nd and 4th) on the first page have been updated using the list found in THIS post.

Thanks Ultragamer and all who checked/confirmed guides.[/QUOTE]

You missed Dragon Age Origins Awakening. that one I can confirm.

There were a few other supposed ones but none I can independently confirm.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']All relevant posts(1st, 2nd and 4th) on the first page have been updated using the list found in THIS post.

Thanks Ultragamer and all who checked/confirmed guides.[/QUOTE]

Here's a fully updated list, was waiting on some more reports before posting it again:

1303541 Dead Rising 2
1600417 Disney Epic Mickey Collector's Edition
9828549 Dragon Age: Origins Awakening
9510969 Fallout 3 Game of the Year
1599429 Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

1092219 Madden NFL 11
1801854 Mass Effect 2 (latest version PS3)
1092255 Metroid: Other M
1487131 PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
1425621 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Collector's Edition
1404755 The Sims 3
1511502 WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011

[quote name='hellmutt']You missed Dragon Age Origins Awakening. that one I can confirm.

There were a few other supposed ones but none I can independently confirm.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Ultragamer']Here's a fully updated list, was waiting on some more reports before posting it again:

1303541 Dead Rising 2
1600417 Disney Epic Mickey Collector's Edition
9828549 Dragon Age: Origins Awakening
9510969 Fallout 3 Game of the Year
1599429 Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
1092219 Madden NFL 11
1801854 Mass Effect 2 (latest version PS3)
1092255 Metroid: Other M
1487131 PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
1425621 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Collector's Edition
1404755 The Sims 3
1511502 WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011[/QUOTE]
Thanks to both of you. I'll go in and re-update now.;)

EDIT: Posts 2, 3 and 5 are all re-updated.

I don't know if this was from a previous drop or not, but I happened to pick up a Lost Planet 2 guide for a penny today too.

[quote name='Visc']I don't know if this was from a previous drop or not, but I happened to pick up a Lost Planet 2 guide for a penny today too.[/QUOTE]
You didn't check the 2nd post, did ya?:razz:;)

>>>Dropped on 2.21.11

It is worst than i have feared, I began interrogating one of the boys in blue shirts. It would appear the guides were prepulled in all 5 of the BB's in my area, not pulled b/c of SD effect, but prepulled, when none were prepulled previously. I am horrified and saddened.

Picked up my in-store-pickup order after work, SWTFUII & DR2, one of each. Of course, that late in the day, everything else had been pulled. Thanks for the heads-up, guys!

FYI, no one has confirmed Fallout 3 GOTY yet. I just have a hunch it pennied out with DA:O (also not confirmed, I'm willing to bet very few BBs have this left in the first place).

I can verify the list posted up there.

It actually was in the employee news. Just hidden in another article about the price error from this morning. I wish I had remembered to check here as the article said to honor any orders made from the error.

No biggie, though. Only want the Epic Mickey book anyway.

I went to best buy this morning and everything was pre-pulled. But something else concerns me: Can you guys view previous orders of any kind from your bestbuy.com account page? When i log in, i can't see any orders i've made in the last year (for either pending orders or those that I have already received).

[quote name='PublikDefender']I went to best buy this morning and everything was pre-pulled. But something else concerns me: Can you guys view previous orders of any kind from your bestbuy.com account page? When i log in, i can't see any orders i've made in the last year (for either pending orders or those that I have already received).[/QUOTE]
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It happened to me sometime this afternoon and I still can't see any of the orders I've made.

I can confirm:

New Super Mario Bros. is a penny too. I grabbed one after work.

Kind of odd...seemed like they pre-pulled but managed to find

Sims 3
Dragon Age Origins Awakening
PokePark
Golden Sun

They seem surprised there were still some penny guides left out. I was glad most of the ones I got were sealed too. Sims 3 was by the PC stuff which someone tipped me off to earlier in the thread...thanks!

Hmm, went to my local BB, who never pulls and everything was gone. I went pretty early so i'm guessing there cracking down on the guides. This is a BB that had a guide from 6-8 months ago still on the shelf.All gone, i hope this isnt a new trend...

[quote name='Doomstink']FYI, no one has confirmed Fallout 3 GOTY yet. I just have a hunch it pennied out with DA:O (also not confirmed, I'm willing to bet very few BBs have this left in the first place).[/QUOTE]

I confirmed it around 1 pm today. I bought 1. Very very rare and ymmv.

Actually saw one today at the same store I got my Epic Mickey but didn't know it pennied till afterwards. Oh well, no biggie.

[quote name='jkam']I can confirm:

New Super Mario Bros. is a penny too. I grabbed one after work.
[/QUOTE]

Damn. I saw a couple of those today, and they seem to be getting kinda rare iirc.

I ordered Metroid: Other M, Dead Rising 2 and Pokepark from the BB website last night and they all shipped today, even Pokepark which was supposed to be backordered. I wasn't sure if they would actually send me these for $0.03 shipped, but they did!

CAG is a lil screwy right now, but I ended up adding in NSMB to the second n third posts. If anyone has the SKU for it I'll add that into the fifth post in a bit.

Looks like they pulled all the penny guides at the 2 BB. Im glad I order in store pickup. Got x3 Star wars CE, x2 Dead Rising 2, x2 Metroid M. Hoping to find Mickey CE.

Dunno if any Sac CAGs are on the hunt, but Elk Grove is a wash. They have Mass Effect 2 - the OLD ones. May check Folsom/Arden tomorrow if nobody else has.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Don't feel too bad paying for my Mickey CE now when gamestop had its 50%off guide sale. The art cell inside is pretty sweet actually.[/QUOTE]

I just opened one and it is pretty damn nice. Hey pookymeister, what's going on with the site? HTML tags are automatically being added when I'm quoting a previous post and when I send PMs.(?) Is the new version of CAG incoming?

[quote name='Donut2922']ME2 for PS3 isn't pennied out. It rang up $19.99 for me.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I had one scanned but it didn't have the sticker on the front and rang up $19.99. Maybe you took the wrong one to the register?

[quote name='htown01']Are you sure? I had one scanned but it didn't have the sticker on the front and rang up $19.99. Maybe you took the wrong one to the register?[/QUOTE]

yep, i tried and asked to remove the item from the transaction. i don't recall the stickers mattering?

[quote name='Donut2922']ME2 for PS3 isn't pennied out. It rang up $19.99 for me.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 versions of Mass Effect 2 out. The older version has "Exclusive Maps" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307467065) and the newer PS3 version has "Covers all Platforms and DLC" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307890078). The newer version pennied.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']There are 2 versions of Mass Effect 2 out. The older version has "Exclusive Maps" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307467065) and the newer PS3 version has "Covers all Platforms and DLC" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307890078). The newer version pennied.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, PapaSmerf explained it better than I Donut :) I didn't see any of the new ones today.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']There are 2 versions of Mass Effect 2 out. The older version has "Exclusive Maps" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307467065) and the newer PS3 version has "Covers all Platforms and DLC" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307890078). The newer version pennied.[/QUOTE]

hm damn there was a stack of ME2 guides at my local BB but I'm giving up at this point already. i'll be sure to lookout for that next time. it might be a good idea to have the OP to include your helpful info.

exactly correct. I can confirm this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back