Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I finally hit up my closest BB tonight to check for guides. As expected there were ZERO to be found from the drop. The steelbook cases were also pulled, of course.:roll:

Oh well. Not like I wanted anything from this drop for any purpose other than trade fodder anyway.[/QUOTE]

I wish u live closer to my area. I got some extra guides.

They pull the steelbook cases because BB corp send a memo. The memo said it was a pricing error and to not sell any in store.

[quote name='Vigilante']I searched five different BBs on Thursday (McLean, VA; Springfield, VA; Alexandria, VA; Rockville, MD; Germantown, MD), and the fruits of my labor?

Three copies of the Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure guide. :booty:

I'm probably going to keep one (just to have), but the other two are going into my trade thread.

For future drops, I don't think I'll rush out to BBs given what I saw at those stores' guide sections--there really do seem to be employees in the gaming section who know what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

I know who to hit up for some local trading. I just moved to the Alexandria area.

I do local trading at a pawn shop type of place. Kept one of each of the guides I had one or more of, rest I traded in. I got 15 in trade for 3-4 madden guides, that wresting guide, and metroid other M. From doing all that, what I got outta it was a used (looks mint from what I've looked at it so far) CE guide to the pokemon black/white and a ds game. Not sure of the game really, its hotel dusk room 215 (I think). All in all, I was happy with what I got. Got a 14 dollar guide and a 7 dollar game. Had a 3 dollar credit from a previous time of selling games to them. So overall I spent 18 bucks and got 22 in value, so I talked them down a few bucks on the game =P Sorry to ramble, let me know if this isn't right for this thread, just happy about this thread and the stuff I got..

Anyone near the Sunnyvale, CA store might go in if you are looking for the Star Wars TFU2 CE guide. I just had an instore pickup order for quantity 2 get cancelled because I couldn't make it into the store on time. (I picked up two from Milpitas instead).

[quote name='hellmutt']Anyone near the Sunnyvale, CA store might go in if you are looking for the Star Wars TFU2 CE guide. I just had an instore pickup order for quantity 2 get cancelled because I couldn't make it into the store on time. (I picked up two from Milpitas instead).[/QUOTE]

I was there about a week ago and they had cleared out all of their strategy guides even the ones not penny'ed. It is an odd location as they also don't carry Per Owned games.

[quote name='Vigilante']I searched five different BBs on Thursday (McLean, VA; Springfield, VA; Alexandria, VA; Rockville, MD; Germantown, MD), and the fruits of my labor?

Three copies of the Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure guide. :booty:

I'm probably going to keep one (just to have), but the other two are going into my trade thread.

For future drops, I don't think I'll rush out to BBs given what I saw at those stores' guide sections--there really do seem to be employees in the gaming section who know what they're doing.[/QUOTE]

They pulled at Baileys (got some Cars 2 steel books), Pentagon, Potomac Yards, and Fair City on day 1 also in case you were thinking about it.

Apologies if this has been asked, but the Metroid: Other M guide at my BB is a Premier edition. Is that the pennied version? OP doesn't clarify, and I don't know if there are additional versions. Thanks everyone.

[quote name='josb101']I do local trading at a pawn shop type of place. (snip)[/QUOTE]

FYI, this is a bad move. Penny guides are a loophole that can be closed at any time. Some of us, myself included, have had district managers shut down penny guides in our areas because some fool was taking them and selling them locally at second-hand stores. Word got back to management, the managers got in trouble for letting the guides go, and they instructed all employees to strictly adhere to the rules and destroy the guides.

If you find penny guides, don't treat it as a second income. Get what you need for yourself, maybe trade the extras here. But selling them locally is a sure way to see them dry up. This is from experience.

[quote name='Strell']Apologies if this has been asked, but the Metroid: Other M guide at my BB is a Premier edition. Is that the pennied version? OP doesn't clarify, and I don't know if there are additional versions. Thanks everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the version (softcover). To my knowledge, there was only one version of this guide.

[quote name='Zippon']FYI, this is a bad move. Penny guides are a loophole that can be closed at any time. Some of us, myself included, have had district managers shut down penny guides in our areas because some fool was taking them and selling them locally at second-hand stores. Word got back to management, the managers got in trouble for letting the guides go, and they instructed all employees to strictly adhere to the rules and destroy the guides.

If you find penny guides, don't treat it as a second income. Get what you need for yourself, maybe trade the extras here. But selling them locally is a sure way to see them dry up. This is from experience.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. The ~$7 you'll make is not worth never again getting a $0.01 strategy guide .

[quote name='knight19']Yes, that's the version (softcover). To my knowledge, there was only one version of this guide.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Hopefully they are still there a little later today.

[quote name='knight19']Yes, that's the version (softcover). To my knowledge, there was only one version of this guide.[/QUOTE]
I was denied a Metroid: Other M guide because it had no barcode.

[quote name='hellmutt']Anyone near the Sunnyvale, CA store might go in if you are looking for the Star Wars TFU2 CE guide. I just had an instore pickup order for quantity 2 get cancelled because I couldn't make it into the store on time. (I picked up two from Milpitas instead).[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I didn't see them on the shelf, so I asked the in-store pickup guy to take a look in their reserved area. It got a little awkward when he asked me for your name and order number, but when I explained it was an expired order he went and took a look for me. Managed to get both, so thanks again!

[quote name='Zippon']FYI, this is a bad move. Penny guides are a loophole that can be closed at any time. Some of us, myself included, have had district managers shut down penny guides in our areas because some fool was taking them and selling them locally at second-hand stores. Word got back to management, the managers got in trouble for letting the guides go, and they instructed all employees to strictly adhere to the rules and destroy the guides.

If you find penny guides, don't treat it as a second income. Get what you need for yourself, maybe trade the extras here. But selling them locally is a sure way to see them dry up. This is from experience.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='SirChadlyOC']Seconded. The ~$7 you'll make is not worth never again getting a $0.01 strategy guide .[/QUOTE]
Some guides end up being worth far more than a pawn/trade shop will give you(Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga, etc) soon after they penny, but in many cases you have to wait a while longer than a week for the value to rise.

As for killing this 'deal', the BB stores here are on lockdown on the guides again. But it goes in cycles, where they leave them on the shelves for days/weeks after a drop or they pull them before the stores even open.

I just wish we had more of a notice before this last drop, since I would've likely done some scouting of my local stores. Of course it didn't help that it got listed on SD as well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I just wish we had more of a notice before this last drop, since I would've likely done some scouting of my local stores. Of course it didn't help that it got listed on SD as well.[/QUOTE]To make sure there's no confusion, IIRC this time it broke on SD first (which was a real surprise to me).

Actually had a store pull more out of somewhere and put them on the shelves after I cleaned them out on drop day.

Pictures of today's haul coming in a bit.

img0950dp.jpg

That's today's pickups from 3 stores combined. (all the guides but DAOA at one, then DAOA, then LotR at another)

[quote name='reapersaurus']To make sure there's no confusion, IIRC this time it broke on SD first (which was a real surprise to me).[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Normally towards the begining of the month I'm checking out the BB website to see if they accidentally list anything for $.01 . But I meant that usually Frosty or Lox would get advance notice to pull the guides and report that here, which then allows many of us to go out and determine if it's even worth it to go out the day of the drop.

Oh and thanks for the picture, dabamus. Now that I know what to look for for those LOTR items I may actually be able to find them.;)

In other news, the further store put back out two Madden 11's on the shelf. I didn't bother picking them up though, as they're only useful as toilet paper.:razz:

[quote name='dabamus']
img0950dp.jpg

That's today's pickups from 3 stores combined. (all the guides but DAOA at one, then DAOA, then LotR at another)[/QUOTE]

Are those just LOTR's "the ring", or do they include bluray discs too?

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Thanks! I didn't see them on the shelf, so I asked the in-store pickup guy to take a look in their reserved area. It got a little awkward when he asked me for your name and order number, but when I explained it was an expired order he went and took a look for me. Managed to get both, so thanks again![/QUOTE]

:D That's great! I'm glad you were able to snag them :)

Just picked up two madden 11 guides at the Chapel Hill, OH store because I hate their guts and I make it my sport to legally rip them off.

I'll probably throw them away, but oh well, those assholes left two penny guides out :D

[quote name='dabamus']
img0950dp.jpg

That's today's pickups from 3 stores combined. (all the guides but DAOA at one, then DAOA, then LotR at another)[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool. I ordered some of those LotR rings for in-store pickup and they said they couldn't find any, even with SIXTEEN coming up as in stock in the system. Atleast I got 2 more penny guides (SvR 2011 and Madden 11) :cool:

I shoulda grabbed those two Madden guides from the further store yesterday, since that was the one the manager lady told me she would 'ban me from the store if I tried grabbing anymore pennied items'. I wonder what sized gift card I would get from corporate for informing them I was banned from one of their stores because a manager couldn't get their employees to do their jobs right?;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I shoulda grabbed those two Madden guides from the further store yesterday, since that was the one the manager lady told me she would 'ban me from the store if I tried grabbing anymore pennied items'. I wonder what sized gift card I would get from corporate for informing them I was banned from one of their stores because a manager couldn't get their employees to do their jobs right?;)[/QUOTE]

That would be pretty cool to get something like that from reporting that. But probably wouldn't work though. Seeing as it being a manager, would figure they'd say their word is god

[quote name='Ultragamer']A couple guides pennied at gamestop on August 17th, store near me had
3rd Birthday
Crysis 2
Thor[/QUOTE]

Damn I missed out on that one.

Dammit, I could really really use a Thor guide too because that game looks super hard. ;)

3rd birthday is kinda hard too as well. Also I just kinda gave up on playing it once I got the FF4 ultimate collection.. If I can get the guide I'll start playing it again =)

[quote name='Ultragamer']A couple guides pennied at gamestop on August 17th, store near me had
3rd Birthday
Crysis 2
Thor[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, GS for me is usually a no-go. The places that have allowed me to buy them usually don't carry the ones I'm looking for. I'll wait for BB to drop Crysis 2 :) I still need to finish finding the souvenirs.

3rd Birthday
Crysis 2
Thor[/QUOTE]

Can anyone else confirm this? Only one GS within 30 miles does not pre-pull and I want to get Crysis 2. It would suck to travel all that way just to find out it was an error at your store.

I went to Best Buy back when this latest batch was reported, but found nothing on the list. Went in today to pick up a couple 3DS games from the sale, and found 2 force unleashed 2 CE, and 2 metroid other M guides just sitting on the shelf. Took 'em up and they rang up for .01. very nice surprise. The guy working the game area register told me they had just shipped these guides to him the other day. He knew they were supposed to be shipped back to be destroyed, but said he'd much rather just let me have them for the penny.

[quote name='josb101']That would be pretty cool to get something like that from reporting that. But probably wouldn't work though. Seeing as it being a manager, would figure they'd say their word is god[/QUOTE]
Actually the last time a manager gave me lip I reported them to corporate and I believe they sent me a $20 gc for my trouble.;) The next time I was in there to either PM or buy something that was gonna ring up an unmarked clearance price she was still completely clueless but let me have it without a hassle like the prior time.:)

So far the only guides i was able to score was the SWTFU2CE and Other M...I did some Fable 3 CE that popped up over night...I know they already pennied but what about BB? I would love one to finish up the game with...

EDIT: Second and wiki post are updated. If anyone can provide a SKU for the 3 guides that dropped at GS, please do so.

Thanks to Ultragamer for the list.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']EDIT: Second and wiki post are updated. If anyone can provide a SKU for the 3 guides that dropped at GS, please do so.

Thanks to Ultragamer for the list.[/QUOTE]

sorry for sounding dumb, I'm sure its in the 1st post, but what are the sku's? Guessing the barcodes? Cause I might be able to hit up a gamestop while I'm out today and possibly find one of the guides at least.\\

[quote name='missingno81']Was able to find Dead Rising 2 and Metroid Other M, but the cashier decided to manually change the prices from 0.01 to 19.99.[/QUOTE]

that's mess up. Whatever it scans should be the price.

man i really want a 3rd birthday guide too but know ill get declined. im at my parents today so going to test my luck anyways to see at the best buy and gamestop by them.

Overland Park, KS (119th St) BB has 3+ Metroid Other M guides and a Dead Rising 2 guide on the shelf for anyone that might be interested. The gal checking me out reasoned that they rang up as 0.01 because of the 15% off guides deal. I opted to keep my mouth shut.

[quote name='josb101']sorry for sounding dumb, I'm sure its in the 1st post, but what are the sku's? Guessing the barcodes? Cause I might be able to hit up a gamestop while I'm out today and possibly find one of the guides at least.\\[/QUOTE]
The SKU's are on the front cover on the barcode sticker there. It's usually a 6-7 digit number.

Anyway, I stopped into the usually hard as hell to get ANYTHING pennied from BB store today. I found four of the Cars 2 steelbooks sitting on the back counter of the game trade in area.

So I looked around for an employee working in that section, hoping to convince someone there to finally let me buy something for a penny at this store.

It was not to be. I flagged this one girl down, who then proceeded to call a manager to ask about the cases(which I really don't blame her for doing). So at first no one answers and I figure maybe she'll just go through with the $.04 order to just be able to go back to doing whatever she was before I stopped her. Nope.

The one manager just happens to be walking by. She asks why they're coming up this price. He points to the screen saying they're 'supposed to be free with purchase'. I even tried using the excuse that 'my buddies pre-ordered the movie and they didn't receive these like they were supposed to so I was trying to buy them for them'. That didn't work.

I shoulda learned my lesson by now at that BB store that I'm never gonna sneak one by them.:whistle2:# Not after the first haul I had soon after they first opened.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back