Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='boneless']Mortal kombat and dragon age 2 ce pennied at gamestop today. Don't have the physical copies in hand yet but was told by a manager.[/QUOTE]

The normal Mortal Kombat I assume. I'll have to see what's up tomorrow.

Edit: Checked the Mortal Kombat in-store pickup price (NO I didn't plan on putting it on hold) and it still shows 19.99.

[quote name='Lightning War']The normal Mortal Kombat I assume. I'll have to see what's up tomorrow.

Edit: Checked the Mortal Kombat in-store pickup price (NO I didn't plan on putting it on hold) and it still shows 19.99.[/QUOTE]

Actually both CE are pennied. Got both of them right now.

Mortal Kombat CE 830528
Dragon Age 2 CE. 830476

Don't forget if you really care about the MK CE guide that you need to fill out some form from PRIMA to get some cards sent to you because they messed up on the guide.

[quote name='skiizim']Don't forget if you really care about the MK CE guide that you need to fill out some form from PRIMA to get some cards sent to you because they messed up on the guide.[/QUOTE]

Are they (Prima) still offering replacements? Anyways, here's the thread with the instructions.

Something tells me we missed the Dragon Age 2 CE guide during the last drop last week, so I may just add that to that drop's info rather than pasting in a single guide drop to the second post.

Second, third n fifth posts have be re-updated to add in the Dragon Age 2 CE guide. Thanks boneless for verifying that we probably missed the DA 2 CE guide from the drop last week.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Are they (Prima) still offering replacements? Anyways, here's the thread with the instructions.[/QUOTE]

I recently re-submitted for the cards maybe about a month ago because I never got the cards the first time around. I received them this past Saturday, I don't remember what link I used to find it I just googled it. Looking through your post the link is either dead or down.

[quote name='skiizim']I recently re-submitted for the cards maybe about a month ago because I never got the cards the first time around. I received them this past Saturday, I don't remember what link I used to find it I just googled it. Looking through your post the link is either dead or down.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know the link is dead. I'll remove the dead links and make the actual instructions stand out a bit more.

iatcg i honestly dont think we missed dragon age 2 ce as the dm in my area was running the gamestop last week and it was the only guide besides really new stuff i saw on the racks at the one store. hes a huge stickler on ripping up and shredding guides too so i dont think he would miss that. im going to try my luck today and pray the one i saw is their still.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how accurate is the Gamestop Stock Locator? It says that a local Gamestop has a copy of the Dragon Age 2 CE and I'd love to get my hands on that. Only issue is I'd have to go during my lunch break and I'd rather not make the 20 minute drive if the stock is not accurately reflected on the website. Any insight would be appreciated.

[quote name='Dahk']Sorry if this has been asked before, but how accurate is the Gamestop Stock Locator? It says that a local Gamestop has a copy of the Dragon Age 2 CE and I'd love to get my hands on that. Only issue is I'd have to go during my lunch break and I'd rather not make the 20 minute drive if the stock is not accurately reflected on the website. Any insight would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

NOT accurate for pennied guides, in my experience.

Thanks for the prompt response. That is quite dissapointing. Im wondering if its even worth it now...

Can anyone provide me with a positive story about how the stock locator was actually accurate in the case of a pennied item? haha

Interestingly enough, the guide just dissapeared from the website...

[quote name='Dahk']Thanks for the prompt response. That is quite dissapointing. Im wondering if its even worth it now...

Can anyone provide me with a positive story about how the stock locator was actually accurate in the case of a pennied item? haha

Interestingly enough, the guide just dissapeared from the website...[/QUOTE]
When the DC Universe Online games pennied at Gamestop for both the CE and the vanilla editions the one store a bit away from here was showing a PC CE in stock according to the link. Before I got out to the store they had removed the stock locator link, but when I went in the store there it was sitting on the shelf back with the other PC games.

Consequentially, that attempt at buying/getting said item drew the ire of the local DM from GS, who reminded me I'm permabanned from the whole chain for 'being a bad customer' and proceeded to go over my 'incidents' that caused said banning when I stopped into his home office store earlier this week.:whistle2:#

Funny thing is, one of the 'incidents' that caused my banning was me having them do two seperate transactions when I traded in my fat 40gb PS3 and a stack of games. The system didn't do the two seperate promos I wanted to use for the system and games($150 value for the system, 30% more credit when trading for Arkham Asylum back then).

I guess being a smart customer and actually trying to get the most for shit you're trading in makes you a 'bad' customer' to Gamestop.:roll:

So I went to the Gamestop and was thrilled to see 2 DA2 CE's still on the shelf. I grabbed them and went up to the desk only to see a shocked look on the kids face. He says right to me "those were supposed to be on hold for me. I cant sell you those." I laughed, asked why and played dumb when he told me about how penny guides works and theyre supposed to be thrown in the garbage. I asked why they would be on hold for him then and that I drove 30 mins just to get one. He relented and said I could have just one and not to worry about paying. I was hoping to get the second copy for trade bait with another CAG but I was happy to get the one. I probably could have gotten both if I pushed him enough but I wasnt really in the mood to argue.

Thanks for the heads up on this guide.

[quote name='Dahk']So I went to the Gamestop and was thrilled to see 2 DA2 CE's still on the shelf. I grabbed them and went up to the desk only to see a shocked look on the kids face. He says right to me "those were supposed to be on hold for me. I cant sell you those." I laughed, asked why and played dumb when he told me about how penny guides works and theyre supposed to be thrown in the garbage. I asked why they would be on hold for him then and that I drove 30 mins just to get one. He relented and said I could have just one and not to worry about paying. I was hoping to get the second copy for trade bait with another CAG but I was happy to get the one. I probably could have gotten both if I pushed him enough but I wasnt really in the mood to argue.

Thanks for the heads up on this guide.[/QUOTE]

Better to not push it and maintain a good relationship with the employees. They do NOT have to give you the guides and are not supposed to. You played that well and got a guide out of it :applause:

[quote name='gauu']iatcg i honestly dont think we missed dragon age 2 ce as the dm in my area was running the gamestop last week and it was the only guide besides really new stuff i saw on the racks at the one store. hes a huge stickler on ripping up and shredding guides too so i dont think he would miss that. im going to try my luck today and pray the one i saw is their still.[/QUOTE]

I'll confirm that the Dragon Age 2 CE is new this week. When I walked in my favorite store the girl who works there said "Let me guess, you're here for the Dragon Age 2 guide?" I was just like "How could you possibly guess?" And she just laughed and grabbed it from the back for me. Definitely not from the last drop as I grabbed all the guides last drop.

[quote name='Dahk']Thanks for the prompt response. That is quite dissapointing. Im wondering if its even worth it now...

Interestingly enough, the guide just dissapeared from the website...[/QUOTE]

Positive story: My in-stock locator showed it in stock in the store I got it from. If it shows in stock but then they say they don't have it they probably just don't want to give it to you (or someone else got it first).

First off I want to thank the members who post the penny guide drop info.

Unfortunately what sucks is the info is usually late in the day, after 9pm and the stores close. Reason being is all of my local stores toss the guides the same day, every time. Unless I know of the drop early in the day I have no chance.

Oddly enough, yesterday I went to a GS and found a copy of the Hardcover FFXII guide for $15. Yes, XII, the PS2 one. I asked him to price check it and it still rang up at that amount. He explained that one of the local GS's found like 50 of them in the back and they just distributed it around. It was an odd find that I was hoping to get for a penny but was unable to.

[quote name='kulaguy']Oddly enough, yesterday I went to a GS and found a copy of the Hardcover FFXII guide for $15. Yes, XII, the PS2 one. I asked him to price check it and it still rang up at that amount. He explained that one of the local GS's found like 50 of them in the back and they just distributed it around. It was an odd find that I was hoping to get for a penny but was unable to.[/QUOTE]
Again the legendary FFXII LE guide :).

[quote name='kulaguy']Oddly enough, yesterday I went to a GS and found a copy of the Hardcover FFXII guide for $15. Yes, XII, the PS2 one. I asked him to price check it and it still rang up at that amount. He explained that one of the local GS's found like 50 of them in the back and they just distributed it around. It was an odd find that I was hoping to get for a penny but was unable to.[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause: Good to know that this LE guide is still floating around out there at the GS stores. It's like :ps2:Mark Of Kri was at Kmart when they still did regular clearance drops on stuff. That game sat at $15 or more for over 2-3 years before FINALLY dropping to a cheaper price.

So just like MOK, I have a feeling that GS missed FFXII's LE guide when they were pennying stuff from around the same period.

They used to have a shelf actually made up of copies of that guide at the local DM's home office store that they stacked other guides on top of. That's how many copies of that thing they had in stock at one point.:lol:

I have the LE guide of FFXII and it wasn't hardcover :???:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They used to have a shelf actually made up of copies of that guide at the local DM's home office store that they stacked other guides on top of. That's how many copies of that thing they had in stock at one point.:lol:[/QUOTE]

For all you know he has a desk in the backroom with a chair that he sits in made up of these guides :D Hopefully he's never messed up his chair raging out over your workings as a costomer at his stores ^ ^

What is the DM's name, I remember somebody at my local store mentioning his name when they were on the phone with him so many years back and I'm wondering if it's the same guy that is the DM still.

[quote name='FOnewearl']For all you know he has a desk in the backroom with a chair that he sits in made up of these guides :D Hopefully he's never messed up his chair raging out over your workings as a costomer at his stores ^ ^

What is the DM's name, I remember somebody at my local store mentioning his name when they were on the phone with him so many years back and I'm wondering if it's the same guy that is the DM still.[/QUOTE]
The DM's name is Steve Bennett. He used to work at the Steamtown store way back in the day as one of the employees there.

Just from the stacks of that FFXII LE guide they had at the WB store by Target and the stack they had at the Steamtown store at one point, I wouldn't doubt if they could've built him a desk AND chair out of all of them.:lol:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The DM's name is Steve Bennett. He used to work at the Steamtown store way back in the day as one of the employees there.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't ring a bell but this was about 5 years ago so I could be forgetting and the way you put it, it sounds as if he's been with the company since before the merge and is probably the same guy. I also remember back around that time the one guy saying that they don't get gruff as often from the DM for not pestering costomers about pre orders etc since they are so far away from the DM's as you said home store.

Most of the people that used to work at this store were all around for a number of years during EBgames but all of them left within a year or less of it becoming GameStop including a manager that was at this store for about a decade.

Not trying to pull a Lightning War here, but there's a number of guides listed as 'not available for shipping' even though they're not OOS on the BB website. If I remember correctly, this is how some guides were listed a couple of times before a drop.

So who wants to go in store this morning and check for some of these?;) As of now there's 92 on the website.

The list includes:

Call Of Duty: Black Ops(softcover)
Cheat Code Overload Winter 2011(softcover)
Crysis 2(softcover)
Duke Nukem Forever(softcover)
Fable III(both LE and softcover)
Fear 3(softcover)
Halo Reach(softcover)
Killzone 3(softcover)
Little Big Planet 2(softcover)
Mortal Kombat LE
Portal 2(softcover)
Thor(softcover)

Another likely one to check(no longer listed on the website) is the Red Dead Redemption guide, since the GOTY edition is out now.

Don't forget to check Dragon Quest VI SKU 1980045
It was mentioned a while back it was dropped from the site, but no indication that it was dropped. The BB near me does not have it in stock, though other stores miles away from me have it.

I'll probably go out and check if someone doesn't beat me to it..But didn't this same thing happen 2 weeks ago?? Guides disappeared but didn't penny? we thought a pre-pull. IDK..too early.

i went to pick up a Dragon Age II CE guide at a nearby GS. The guy saw it as a penny and he overrode the price to $20 to sell to me. He told me that he couldn't sell it to me for $.01. Anyone ever try to return it at another GS and then rebuy?

[quote name='shivan128']i went to pick up a Dragon Age II CE guide at a nearby GS. The guy saw it as a penny and he overrode the price to $20 to sell to me. He told me that he couldn't sell it to me for $.01. Anyone ever try to return it at another GS and then rebuy?[/QUOTE]

dude, no offense, but did you actually pay the $20? I think you are S-O-L on getting another store to return/rebuy. Unless you have an 'in' with them and have done it before. But it seems doubtful that any employee would be willing to do/risk a transaction like that. I always just walk away when they start overriding the price..eff that sh*t!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not trying to pull a Lightning War here, but there's a number of guides listed as 'not available for shipping' even though they're not OOS on the BB website. If I remember correctly, this is how some guides were listed a couple of times before a drop.

So who wants to go in store this morning and check for some of these?;) As of now there's 92 on the website.

The list includes:

Crysis 2(softcover)
Fear 3(softcover)
Halo Reach(softcover)
Killzone 3(softcover)
Mortal Kombat LE
Portal 2(softcover)
Thor(softcover)

Another likely one to check(no longer listed on the website) is the Red Dead Redemption guide, since the GOTY edition is out now.[/QUOTE]

They are still full price though. When did the prices drop last time?

[quote name='token2k6']dude, no offense, but did you actually pay the $20? I think you are S-O-L on getting another store to return/rebuy. Unless you have an 'in' with them and have done it before. But it seems doubtful that any employee would be willing to do/risk a transaction like that. I always just walk away when they start overriding the price..eff that sh*t![/QUOTE]

I was going to try scanning a few other GS's to see if I can get them for a penny. Either way, it sounds like I should just return it at the GS where I bought it for $20.

Thanks for your reply!

[quote name='caedeskhan']No go today...cod moh fable all reg price at bb[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for checking.

edit. I'm starting to think that there wont be any drops until after Christmas.
edit 2. Its worth noting that the guides mentioned previously were "not available for shipping" early Sunday night, so this wasn't a change that occurred over night.

Just as well there's no drop today - with over 800,000 power outages in my state right now and no chance of getting it back for a week (I'm writing this from a shelter), I'm actually glad it didn't happen.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not trying to pull a Lightning War here[/quote]

:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']but there's a number of guides listed as 'not available for shipping' even though they're not OOS on the BB website. If I remember correctly, this is how some guides were listed a couple of times before a drop.

The list includes:

Crysis 2(softcover)
Fear 3(softcover)
Halo Reach(softcover)
Killzone 3(softcover)
Mortal Kombat LE
Portal 2(softcover)
Thor(softcover)

Another likely one to check(no longer listed on the website) is the Red Dead Redemption guide, since the GOTY edition is out now.[/QUOTE]

Considering most if not all of these have been dropped at Gamestop, it's probably a safe bet the next drop (Whenever the hell it is) will include these.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Don't forget to check Dragon Quest VI SKU 1980045
It was mentioned a while back it was dropped from the site, but no indication that it was dropped. The BB near me does not have it in stock, though other stores miles away from me have it.[/QUOTE]

I checked this two days ago, along with AC Brotherhood. Both came up full price.

[quote name='Romeo']I checked this two days ago, along with AC Brotherhood. Both came up full price.[/QUOTE]

2 days ago wouldn't matter. Best Buy drops are MONDAY. Glad there's no drop today. Stuck in the office :)

Guide removed from Bestbuy.com today:

Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition (SKU 2090087)

Edit: Also would be nice if there was a drop soon with the whole "free shipping on everything" on Bestbuy.com.

[quote name='Lightning War']Guide removed from Bestbuy.com today:

Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition (SKU 2090087)

Edit: Also would be nice if there was a drop soon with the whole "free shipping on everything" on Bestbuy.com.[/QUOTE]

Checked Fable 3 LE and MK LE today and both came up full price at BB.

[quote name='PatelKing']Checked Fable 3 LE and MK LE today and both came up full price at BB.[/QUOTE]

Just because a guide was removed from the website doesn't mean it was dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back