Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Same with Star Ocean Second Evolution and Star Ocean Last Hope International. Finally got the latter for about $17, still can't find the first cheaper than $50.[/QUOTE]I think the first guide I remember being $$ (I didn't do guides for a loooooooong time, I'd just hit gamefaqs.com if I got completely stuck) was a Zelda one....4 swords? No. maybe it was Minnish Cap? I remember finding a couple at CC and sold sold the extra on ebay for some (IMO) crazy money.

Dead Rising was also one that skyrocketed in price for some reason. When that fact was drawn to my attention, I went to the bookshelf with the guides, pulled it out, and lamented for the briefest of moments all the writing and dog-earing I did in that guide. But only for a moment. I loved that game, and that guide helped me with a few cheesements. So I loved the using the guide. The value to me is in memories of good times with my brother and a fun zombie game. Can't put a price on that, cuz I wouldn't trade it for the world.

[quote name='confoosious']There's 33 pages of trade posts and only the last 3 have been updated in the past month. It sucks to search for a guide and then realize the "Want" post hasn't been updated in 6 months and probably is no longer relevant. [/QUOTE]I wouldn't have a problem with deleting posts which haven't been updated in at least six months. But I'd put a note in the OP about it. But again, that's Pooky's thread, it's his call.

Speaking of which, I need to update my list soon and find my post in there. Because what I actually have and what i have listed are two very different creatures at this point.

Ok so good story for you all and good news for me. First my main source was a gold mine as always and i was able to walk away with about 75 guides total include 3xDR2 LE, 1xMOH LE, & 1xSMG2 LE. Only guide i wasn't able to get was the FF13 LE so if anyone got some extras then plz PM me. Now the cool thing is for the past 2+ years my other two BB have been pre-pulling before store opens but today i found the next store i went to had empty spaces in the guide rack which meant El Hoardo beat me to it. The last store i went to was also hit by the same type as me but due to that store having guides sitting next to the games and not all in one area i was able to find another 20+ including another DR2 LE.

So wanted to thank the OP especially and LOX and all for posting this ahead of time to give us all a head start.

To the MODS on this forum i must say your skillz are lacking and you need a real ip sniffer to block me so let me just do something right here in front of you.....

[quote name='Ultragamer']You say you got 75 guides from one location, then go to say El Hoardo beat you to another store?

Pot meet kettle?[/QUOTE]

I think it's BS...same ID as the SD thread...lame :drool:

[quote name='Muthafodder']I think it's BS...same ID as the SD thread...lame :drool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed that too.

If they got 75+ guides and only 5 of those were CE's that means they have 70+ guides of fire-paper.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But therein lies the rub. If a new one is created, how long before that one gets bloated as well? Unless folks know how to delete their old posts after making a new/updated one then it would be back to being cluttered within 6 months.[/QUOTE]

That's a possibility but not a guarantee; however, leaving the thread the way it is is a guarantee that it will remain a mess.

BTW, the change in tone in your recent posts has made you much easier to deal with and to take seriously. This isn't intended to be a back-handed compliment, just to let you know I appreciate it. Keep it up.

[quote name='guinaevere']I wouldn't have a problem with deleting posts which haven't been updated in at least six months. But I'd put a note in the OP about it. But again, that's Pooky's thread, it's his call. [/QUOTE]

I made the 6 month suggestion quite a while back. It seems that suggestions that require effort tend to be disregarded. Here's hoping that changes since it would benefit the many.

[quote name='neocisco']BTW, the change in tone in your recent posts has made you much easier to deal with and to take seriously. This isn't intended to be a back-handed compliment, just to let you know I appreciate it. Keep it up.[/QUOTE]

This ;)

[quote name='neocisco']I made the 6 month suggestion quite a while back. It seems that suggestions that require effort tend to be disregarded.[/QUOTE]Not with me. Anything that requires effort tends to get... handed off. You'll notice I only ran ONE penny guide thread. Then I very happily handed the responsibility over to iatcg. ;)

Pooky does a hella lot of work in the Trade Forum, he has a working system. It's his expertise, I don't argue.

[quote name='guinaevere']
Speaking of which, I need to update my list soon and find my post in there. Because what I actually have and what i have listed are two very different creatures at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly my problem. My list is not updated either. But I have no motivation because if others find the thread as useless as I do, then there's no point.

Basically the only people with updated lists are those who get guides from EVERY drop. And they aren't ever looking for anything except obscure old guides or guides that havent pennied out yet. At least that's what I see.

After this week, I'm sure we'll see some updates. But it's way too cluttered.

Also, what do you guys think about a guide selling thread? There are a lot of people who have nothing to trade but would be willing to pay somewhere > 1 cents and < amazon prices for guides. (IATCCG - spare me the "people will lowball you" response. We know. We know. Just ignore people who offer 1 cent + 2 shipping.)

At this point, i find it too much trouble to get a decent trade. But I'd certainly pay $2-3 + shipping for some paperback guides. And I know I have guides lying around that I'd sell for $2-3 to decent CAGs. (Hell, I gave away about 15 guides cause they were never gonna be used.)

[quote name='confoosious']Basically the only people with updated lists are those who get guides from EVERY drop. And they aren't ever looking for anything except obscure old guides or guides that havent pennied out yet. At least that's what I see.[/QUOTE]

I agree, an allowable thread that separates trading from buying/selling would be welcomed.

[quote name='confoosious']Also, what do you guys think about a guide selling thread? There are a lot of people who have nothing to trade but would be willing to pay somewhere > 1 cents and < amazon prices for guides. [/QUOTE]So now you want TWO threads that never get updated? :rofl:

I'm sorry, there is validity in your suggestion. But that was the very FIRST thought that popped into my head.

The problem is that updating your tradelist won't generate a new post, so then it's a bunch of searching through and ctrl-fs. I guess technically the Marketplace is meant to address this, but guides are still iffy.

I guess we could start putting links in our sigs, but as coonfosious states, the issue is that we've got a "can get" versus "can't get" camp, and the former has all the power and money and women.

I just want the women. Oh, and an SMG2LE guide.

[quote name='guinaevere']So now you want TWO threads that never get updated? :rofl:

I'm sorry, there is validity in your suggestion. But that was the very FIRST thought that popped into my head.[/QUOTE]

well the difference is you're responsible for the selling thread. :)

[quote name='Strell']The problem is that updating your tradelist won't generate a new post, so then it's a bunch of searching through and ctrl-fs. I guess technically the Marketplace is meant to address this, but guides are still iffy.

I guess we could start putting links in our sigs, but as coonfosious states, the issue is that we've got a "can get" versus "can't get" camp, and the former has all the power and money and women.

I just want the women. Oh, and an SMG2LE guide.[/QUOTE]

Well the correct thing to do is to delete your first post when you post a new one. But I guess that isn't happening.

Ehhh, fair enough. Still a little bit convoluted, and the problem still lies in the fact that it's up to the users to keep everything up to date. Granted, that's sort of how it should be, but as you guys are discussing, that's a lot of upkeep for some simple trade requests.

[quote name='Strell']The problem is that updating your tradelist won't generate a new post...[/QUOTE]

When I update mine I copy the list, make a new post and immediately delete the previous one. It bumps the thread and removes the clutter. No downside that I know of.

[quote name='Strell']Ehhh, fair enough. Still a little bit convoluted, and the problem still lies in the fact that it's up to the users to keep everything up to date. Granted, that's sort of how it should be, but as you guys are discussing, that's a lot of upkeep for some simple trade requests.[/QUOTE]

You know what would be nice, but I guess not doable?

Mini-mod powers for thread owners.

So if the mods are stretched too thin to actually clean up a thread, the thread owner could do it.

IATTCG could just delete all trade requests and questions from people asking "is this apply to Borders too?" in here.

And whoever owned the selling thread just just delete duplicates and old posts.

[quote name='confoosious']You know what would be nice, but I guess not doable?

Mini-mod powers for thread owners.

So if the mods are stretched too thin to actually clean up a thread, the thread owner could do it.

IATTCG could just delete all trade requests and questions from people asking "is this apply to Borders too?" in here.

And whoever owned the selling thread just just delete duplicates and old posts.[/QUOTE]

I've often wondered why this isn't in place already.
Thread owners should be able to delete troll nonsense and arguing in their thread.
I envision a Utopian society with this in place :)

Hoo boy, you guys have a LOT more faith in some of the thread owners than I do. Still, for instances where there are mammoth threads that generate constant traffic (i.e. this one, YMMV store specific clearance threads, etc), it's not a bad idea.

[quote name='david12795']does anyone usually have luck getting guides the day after its dropped? just wondering, i might head back to my BB and get more.[/QUOTE]

It's a hit or miss. You have less chance though than you do on the day the drop happens.

[quote name='Strell']Hoo boy, you guys have a LOT more faith in some of the thread owners than I do. Still, for instances where there are mammoth threads that generate constant traffic (i.e. this one, YMMV store specific clearance threads, etc), it's not a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Maybe allow it for threads titled "official."

I take that back, for some reason, I don't see official in the official thread titles anymore.
When did that get cut out?

My order shipped, I wish all the guide drops were online since it's so much easier than going to the store and possibly getting shut down at the register or finding the guides were pulled.

[quote name='Ultragamer']It's a hit or miss. You have less chance though than you do on the day the drop happens.[/QUOTE]

hm...hopefully ill find something then. if not, not a big deal. im surprised it hasnt been cleared out.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Maybe allow it for threads titled "official."

I take that back, for some reason, I don't see official in the official thread titles anymore.
When did that get cut out?[/QUOTE]

I believe Shrike made this thread after the previous was closed for two weeks of off topic banter, so he probably just forgot to write "official" in there.

[quote name='Strell']Hoo boy, you guys have a LOT more faith in some of the thread owners than I do. Still, for instances where there are mammoth threads that generate constant traffic (i.e. this one, YMMV store specific clearance threads, etc), it's not a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

I think it'd have to be a select bunch of threads. Not every thread.

The people who own the big threads are some of the best CAGs on here: JP for the Gamestop thread, Jimi for Target, reddjoey for xbla...

Thanks EVERYONE!

Got the Following:
3x Dead Rising 2 Collector's Edition
1x Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions
1x Halo 3 ODST
1x Medal of Honor Collector's Guide
2x The Sly Collection
2x Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs
3x Front Mission Evolved
1x Enslaved Odyssey to the West
2x Assassin's Creed II
1x Sonic Colors
1x God of War: Ghosts of Sparta

For Trade/Giving Away:
1x Halo 3 ODST
1x Front Mission Evolved
1x Dead Rising 2 Collector's Edition

Looking For:
2x Castlevania Lord of Shadow
1x Sonic Colors

I have four guide to trade/giveaway. If I can't trade them for something on my want list, I'll gladly ship it to someone for whatever we can agree upon(atleast pay shipping + envelope cost).

Is this SMG2 guide also .01: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-G...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298345127&sr=8-3 ??

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']For all of the San Jose area CAGs (well, mostly for j-fever since he's the only other local CAG I know about aside from Donut - nice to meet you!):

Mountain View - wiped out or pre-pulled. Got there 30 minutes after opening and there were no pennied guides on the racks.

Sunnyvale - was pretty much wiped out; I managed to find a DR2 CE that was hidden behind some other guides, but when I left the only ones left were a stack of Spirit Tracks, Super Scribblenauts x2, Goldeneye x2, and Tron x1.

Santana Row - probably pre-pulled; Santana Row is usually really good about that. No pennied guides.

I also have it on good authority from Donut that Curtner and Milpitas are either empty or there's nothing good left.

If there are any other locals that hit Blossom Hill or the other couple of BestBuys to the north (Palo Alto, etc.), let us know what happened. And if you happen to see Castlevania, FF XIII CE, or Resident Evil 5, please grab extras for me! :D[/QUOTE]

Santana Row had a few. My buddy's gf got the Dead Rising 2 LE for him since he had to leave for Detroit.

Probably gone, though my order to store is still going. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled. :pray::pray:

[quote name='nas6034']Thanks EVERYONE!

Got the Following:
3x Dead Rising 2 Collector's Edition
1x Halo 3 ODST
2x The Sly Collection
2x Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs
3x Front Mission Evolved
2x Assassin's Creed II
1x Sonic Colors

For Trade/Giving Away:
1x Halo 3 ODST
1x Front Mission Evolved
1x Dead Rising 2 Collector's Edition

Looking For:
2x Castlevania Lord of Shadow
1x Sonic Colors

I have four guide to trade/giveaway. If I can't trade them for something on my want list, I'll gladly ship it to someone for whatever we can agree upon(atleast pay shipping + envelope cost).

Is this SMG2 guide also .01: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-G...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298345127&sr=8-3 ??[/QUOTE]

Nice! Are u new too? I left some guides that I didnt want like Sly. The SMG2 is a hardcover white book. Collector's edition. The link to Amazon is the paperback and is not $0.01.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Big letdown for me today, at least after the last BB drop. For Sac area CAGs, here's the bad news:

Elk Grove - nothing
Woodland (yes, I went there) - nothing
Folsom - nothing
Citrus Heights/Sunrise Mall - nothing
Arden - a few. I saw/bought Blood Stone, RE5, LP2 (left at least 1 of each). Got last of both cheat books because I was so frustrated at finding nothing all day, and randomly, the WoW Dungeon Companion Vol 3.

Maybe the stores here are just better at pulling, or keeping newer stuff out, I dunno. There's plenty of stuff I'd like to see drop like Borderlands GOTY, Fable 3 LE, etc, but we'll see. Bad day overall. Off to the trade thread to beg.

Oh, and my 4 in-store pickup orders? Not only did none of the stores I ordered from have any of those guides out, but I haven't gotten any emails saying my stuff is ready. Makes me wonder if someone went in first thing before the employees could even pull them for me and bought what they had.[/QUOTE]

Damnit, should've read your post before hitting some of those stores today.
Btw, Natomas has nothing either. But I did see some Lost Planet 2 at Arden.
If anyone around Sac has Castlevania LoS or MGS Peace Walker, please PM me.

[quote name='The Punisher']Nice! Are u new too? I left some guides that I didnt want like Sly. The SMG2 is a hardcover white book. Collector's edition. The link to Amazon is the paperback and is not $0.01.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I saw someone post a picture that they purchased SMG2 Premiere Edition(softcover). I'm wondering if it is also 1Cent. cause I saw one store with TONS of them.

Finally was able to score a couple of guides today at BB.It was interesting how it went down. I really didn't feel like going straight to check out for the fact i might of grabbed the wrong versions,so i had a rep price check for me.when i gave him the guides he said he believed it to be the 9.99 or whatever price but he said he would check anyway
(at this point i figured he knew something was up).So when they came up pennied out he proceeded to give me the breakdown that ive read so many times on this thread.when he was done i just asked "does that mean i can't buy them?) he was cool with it but wasn't at a register.so i hopped in line and and proceeded to wait for the rep to triple check the price! Nothing to serious for my first time and kinda funny...oh i was able to get Enslaved and Ghost of Sparta. Thanks CAGS
)

I finally figured out how to get guides from the Best Buy closest to my house. In the past I went in the morning, maybe an hour or two after they opened, I'd get rejected at the register. They'd always scan/re-scan/re-re-re-re-scan the guides then call a manager, who would tell the employee to stop the transaction. Today I decided I'd go in the evening after the on-top-of-things morning crew was gone, and it worked! I picked up the final Super Mario Galaxy 2 CE, Dead Rising 2 CE, and Super Scribblenauts guides and didn't receive any grief at the register. It's the first time I've ever gotten a guide from this store. I know how to play my cards from now on.

[quote name='62t']We can try a bunch of things but unless we can ip ban StealCAGDeals it is really hard to keep it a secret[/QUOTE]

Dead on. I mean even if he/she gets banned, what's stopping them from signing back on under a different user name? Shit happens. Maybe we'll get lucky and the SD'ers won't score any good guides and won't even bother next time. Riiiight :roll:

those guides are completely worthless. It covers the first chapter of the game.

Although I'm not sure where the reviewers are getting "adult L" from. If that tshirt (i'm looking at it right now) is adult L, I've gotten way too fat.

[quote name='nas6034']Nope. I saw someone post a picture that they purchased SMG2 Premiere Edition(softcover). I'm wondering if it is also 1Cent. cause I saw one store with TONS of them.[/QUOTE]

???u sure? the list says CE

[quote name='guinaevere']He got 99 guides, but SMG ain't one of em.[/QUOTE]

update-high-five.gif

[quote name='david12795']does anyone usually have luck getting guides the day after its dropped? just wondering, i might head back to my BB and get more.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the BB (and what I'm banking on, lol). I know a BB around me that had 90% of the guides from a drop nearly 4 months after said drop, so I'm hoping that'll be the case with this one.

well back from work first time ever best buys in my area were a complete bust. all i got was 2 dead rising 2 ce guides and a cheat codes fall 2010. really wanted these guides...
Super Mario Galaxy 2 LE
Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes Of Light
Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows

heres hoping my older sister has some luck at her best buy.

I found multiples of all of mondays drops except for Lego Universe. I had very good luck, but I also drove over 60 miles out of my way. It was a lot of hard work but also fun to explore new Best Buys and hunt down the guides. I've been promising for over a year to visit the trading thread and compile my guides for trade. I'll actually do it sometime this weekend.

[quote name='confoosious']those guides are completely worthless. It covers the first chapter of the game.

Although I'm not sure where the reviewers are getting "adult L" from. If that tshirt (i'm looking at it right now) is adult L, I've gotten way too fat.[/QUOTE]

LOL... I wonder how many people went OMG... I need to get this now before it sells out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back