Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Invicta 61']I was doing some traveling so I stopped at a GS that I have had success at in the past. Found a Killzone 3, thought I was home free.... wrong. When I brought the guide and a $5 PS2 game to the counter, I noticed this was a worker I had never seen before. He rings me up and starts to put the book on the counter, he then pulls it back "wait a minute" and starts looking at it ....... for a long time. He opens the cover, looks, then closes it still staring. After what seems like a minute I ask him what is up. "This was taken out of our inventory........I'm supposed to send it back to the manufacturer to be destroyed." I think he was looking at the book more than he was me. "So I can't buy it?" "No". After he finished up, he picks up the guide and starts walking to the back of the store slowly, staring at it the whole time.

I'm pretty sure it went home with him tonight. It sucks to have it in hand only to be denied. I was looking forward to the Killzone drop too, no other stores in my area have it now. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :bomb:[/QUOTE]

This happened to me at a new GS a while back with a Vanquish guide. I even offered to preorder a game and he still wouldn't give it to me. BTW, it is funny how he didn't realize that the games just end up in the dumpster instead of going back to the manufacturer.

There's a good chance that they probably do know that it's going to be destroyed but they tell you it needs to be sent back so they seem, well, to keep good pr lets say.

And although there may be a few gs out there who do let their employees take the guides, I personally know a guy who worked at a gs where they did it by the book and ripped off the covers to send back while destroying the book in the process (stomping, ripping out pages, etc) to get back credit from the publisher.

[quote name='Link927']There's a good chance that they probably do know that it's going to be destroyed but they tell you it needs to be sent back so they seem, well, to keep good pr lets say.

And although there may be a few gs out there who do let their employees take the guides, I personally know a guy who worked at a gs where they did it by the book and ripped off the covers to send back while destroying the book in the process (stomping, ripping out pages, etc) to get back credit from the publisher.[/QUOTE]

at a gamestop I go to, thats what the manager does there. He does it by the book. He rips off the covers. He told me he had a hard time doing it to the CE of StarCraft 2

I stopped by Best Buy today and checked on some of the guides that fell off the site a while back, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. They were still full price. :whistle2:(

So much for the June pattern.

[quote name='strait edge follower']These guides are pointless nowadays. You can see them for free online and you can also get visual aid's on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

It's just nice to collect them.

On topic: Can anyone else confirm the LoZ drop? I'd love to pick it up

Plus these are literally a penny, do not rely on a computer or the internet to view. Plus I consider them art books to go along side the main game. So they are far far from pointless.

[quote name='strait edge follower']These guides are pointless nowadays. You can see them for free online and you can also get visual aid's on YouTube.[/QUOTE]Door's over there, if you don't need to get any penny guides.

More for us if you're not going to look for them.

[quote name='shrike4242']Door's over there, if you don't need to get any penny guides.

More for us if you're not going to look for them.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I couldn't have said it any better.

GS and BB do sell these for a penny, but it's hit or miss if they'll let you buy them since they are supposed to be destroyed when they become a penny. My last trip to BB for the guides got me over 80 guides that BB actually asked me to buy but other BB won't sell them to you for a penny because they may get in trouble.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I am curious though, does gamestop really sell these for a penny or are people getting them from else where ? Never seen guides for 1 cent before[/QUOTE]
You don't need them, so don't worry about it.

[quote name='Vader582']You don't need them, so don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

All I said was that I was just curious since I've never seen them at that price before so chill out with those types of responses

[quote name='strait edge follower']I am curious though, does gamestop really sell these for a penny or are people getting them from else where ? Never seen guides for 1 cent before[/QUOTE]

Nope. They don't sell them for a penny so don't even bother looking.

[quote name='strait edge follower']All I said was that I was just curious since I've never seen them at that price before so chill out with those types of responses[/QUOTE]

No you actually said

[quote name='strait edge follower'] These guides are pointless nowadays. You can see them for free online and you can also get visual aid's on YouTube[/QUOTE]

which resulted in the following responses :lol: All the information you need is in the 1st post :)

[quote name='htown01']No you actually said

which resulted in the following responses :lol: All the information you need is in the 1st post :)[/QUOTE]

I know lol but in my second post on this thread said I was curious. I'm used to these overpriced guides being 19.99. Thanks for the info btw

[quote name='boneless']GS drop today;

Super Scribblenauts
Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks[/QUOTE]

DId GS ever carry the Spirit Tracks LE and did it ever drop?

Super Scribblenauts
Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks[/QUOTE]

The store that denied me last week had a bunch of the Zelda Spirit Tracks. Maybe I can go be denied again. :roll:

[quote name='Fatbot3']DId GS ever carry the Spirit Tracks LE and did it ever drop?[/QUOTE]

Yes it dropped during the very large GS drop a few months back. Also already dropped at BB.

Super Scribblenauts
Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [/QUOTE]
Sunzabitch. I was just in a GS before that had the Super Scribblenauts guide times 3-4 on their rotating rack still.:whistle2:# Oh well. Not like they would've given me them anyway.:cry:

EDIT: I'll update in a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wolverine81']What's up with Best Buy lately? Are they ever gonna have a drop again?[/QUOTE]

*shakes magic8-ball*

"ask again later...." Dammit :bomb:

July and August are slow release months so at this point it could be any time. It is obvious though that BB is overflowing with guides. I'd expect a large drop, including these ones:

AC Bro CE
Dragon Age
Dragon Age Awakening
FF13
New Super Mario Bros
Fallout New Vegas CE
Red Dead Redemption
Madden 11
Halo Reach CE

Randomly checked while visiting another BB today. Nothing new in employee news. They pretty much hate me and either give my 5-6 hours or no hours at all. It's nice to think "hey I got the next two weeks off" but then "oh shit this is real life" and everyone wants money money money. SO I will be an unreliable source for a bit. Lox knows what's up though.

TL: DR, nothing new at BB, check for my lowballs...

Any chance the Borderlands GOTY guide is pennied out? Found one copy at one of my stores. Just might pick it up at its $30 price just because it's out of print. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't find Borderlands GOTY on clearance at that store, so I will be without a game to pair it up with ;)

Haven't tried my Best Buy for penny guides as I never see the pennied guides actually there.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Randomly checked while visiting another BB today. Nothing new in employee news. They pretty much hate me and either give my 5-6 hours or no hours at all. It's nice to think "hey I got the next two weeks off" but then "oh shit this is real life" and everyone wants money money money. SO I will be an unreliable source for a bit. Lox knows what's up though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping us informed about the info blackout, Frosty. How convenient of the BB to target our intel going into a 3-day weekend Monday. Hmmm.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I will be an unreliable source for a bit. Lox knows what's up though.[/QUOTE]

I just noticed Lox hasn't posted in this thread in a couple of months, and hasn't posted much elsewhere on CAG of late.

Hopefully he's still in the loop and would let us know of any drop at BB today, but I guess we would have heard from our east coast CAGs (at least) as well by now...

So if the guide is not online, is that a good indication of a drop? In that case, I better go pick up that Borderlands guide later!

[quote name='imacgod']So if the guide is not online, is that a good indication of a drop? In that case, I better go pick up that Borderlands guide later![/QUOTE]Don't automatically assume that a guide pennied if it's not on the BB site anymore; more than a month ago, a few guides vanished from the site including those for Dissidia 012 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but CAGs verified that they hadn't pennied yet.

There's no harm in asking for a price check, but don't be disappointed if the Borderlands GotY guide is still $30.

Vigilante is right, but the reverse is not true. Meaning when guides penny the price is also a penny on the website until the items are removed, which happens quickly. If no guides are removed from the website that means no penny drop unless the drop is only on guides that are no longer online like Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

I know I said earlier in the thread that the guides seemed useless but I just thought of something, I have final fantasy 13 and I havent played it yet. With a big rpg like this the maps for item placements and other things that come with the guide could be usefull. Has anyone found a cheap price for it ? Would really appreciate it :)

Got denied on Spirit Tracks yesterday. They had at least 25, and I would have gladly taken them, but the manager said no. The worst part was that the kid gave me the "credit from manufacturer" thing, immediately after I heard the manager tell him they would be junked out. God, I would've paid 2 pennies for them!!! I just want to get another score! It's been so long...

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Got denied on Spirit Tracks yesterday. They had at least 25, and I would have gladly taken them, but the manager said no. The worst part was that the kid gave me the "credit from manufacturer" thing, immediately after I heard the manager tell him they would be junked out. God, I would've paid 2 pennies for them!!! I just want to get another score! It's been so long...[/QUOTE]

Go around back and look in the dumpster. You know what's in a Gamestop dumpster? Mostly cardboard and GUIDES! :D

Edit:

If you find 25 Spirit Tracks guides you are obligated to ship me one for the advice :p

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']Go around back and look in the dumpster. You know what's in a Gamestop dumpster? Mostly cardboard and GUIDES! :D

Edit:

If you find 25 Spirit Tracks guides you are obligated to ship me one for the advice :p[/QUOTE]

Don't forget ps2 game cases as well

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']Go around back and look in the dumpster. You know what's in a Gamestop dumpster? Mostly cardboard and GUIDES! :D

Edit:

If you find 25 Spirit Tracks guides you are obligated to ship me one for the advice :p[/QUOTE]

I would've done it too! But, alas, I live 30 minutes away from the store, and so it wouldn't be cost effective...

[quote name='strait edge follower']Don't forget ps2 game cases as well[/QUOTE]

Yep, those too. All of the stores around here are going to the yellow sleeves for ps2 games. DS cases get tossed as well.

[quote name='gantt']I just noticed Lox hasn't posted in this thread in a couple of months, and hasn't posted much elsewhere on CAG of late.

Hopefully he's still in the loop and would let us know of any drop at BB today, but I guess we would have heard from our east coast CAGs (at least) as well by now...[/QUOTE]

I'm still here. I just haven't had much to report and I'm not to good with the idle chit-chat and all. I don't know if I even post anywhere but here.

There was nothing new to report for today.

[quote name='loxthefox']I'm still here. I just haven't had much to report and I'm not to good with the idle chit-chat and all. I don't know if I even post anywhere but here.

There was nothing new to report for today.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Glad you're around and kicking, and thanks for the news (or lack thereof)!

[quote name='strait edge follower']Don't forget ps2 game cases as well[/QUOTE]
Some Gamestops share a dumpster with other stores, especially if they're in a strip mall. The only ones around here in an outdoor strip mall that had open dumpsters may have shared them with a tattoo parlor:)puke:) and/or a Subway restaurant.

So unless you know the schedule on which their trash gets picked up and/or what stores may share which dumpsters, you may get an unwelcome surprise if you try to dive in them.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Some Gamestops share a dumpster with other stores, especially if they're in a strip mall. The only ones around here in an outdoor strip mall that had open dumpsters may have shared them with a tattoo parlor:)puke:) and/or a Subway restaurant.

So unless you know the schedule on which their trash gets picked up and/or what stores may share which dumpsters, you may get an unwelcome surprise if you try to dive in them.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm lucky, then. There are at least 4 Gamestops within 5-10 minutes of me that have exclusive dumpsters. Also, no diving required:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

i saw some noob shelving past drops so i promptly took them to the register and he sold them to me. as i was walking out the manager was like where did you get those we cant sell those and i was like i 'fudge yeah'

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back