Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Invicta 61']LOL did you borrow that from grandpa?[/QUOTE]

No....I bought it at Home Depot.
icon_rolleyes.gif

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']No....I bought it at Home Depot.
icon_rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]

Oh.... so you bought that specifically to dumpster dive? I thought only old people had those.

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']Exactly. As a result I never have to actually dive.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so is THAT where my guides came from??? ;p

[quote name='boneless']You should go all in and get a hazmat suit.[/QUOTE]

Only needed if you have some kind of allergy to empty cardboard boxes and random packing material.
icon_rolleyes.gif

[quote name='Mistar Muffin']Only needed if you have some kind of allergy to empty cardboard boxes and random packing material.
icon_rolleyes.gif
[/QUOTE]

and dumpsters.

so question for the the divers here, do you ever by chance snack on any readily available food scraps whilst diving? It could save you money on food/month. I dont know just sounds like an economical choice based on your obvious need to dive into heaping piles of trash

[quote name='merchie89']so question for the the divers here, do you ever by chance snack on any readily available food scraps whilst diving? It could save you money on food/month. I dont know just sounds like an economical choice based on your obvious need to dive into heaping piles of trash[/QUOTE]

Troll,

This thread is about getting free game guides. Every GS around here is johnny on the spot about pulling the guides. On the other hand, they never take any steps to destroy the guides, and just fill a cardboard box with them. There are no similarities between lifting a cardboard box full of free guides from a GS dumpster and being homeless/starving. If you had seen my earlier post, you would know I've never had to step foot in an actual dumpster to retrieve any. They are always boxed/bagged up or they get left behind.

[quote name='merchie89']so question for the the divers here, do you ever by chance snack on any readily available food scraps whilst diving? It could save you money on food/month. I dont know just sounds like an economical choice based on your obvious need to dive into heaping piles of trash[/QUOTE]

It's good for the environment, and ok for you.

The only GS dumpster I ever picked ANYTHING out of was like 3 feet high. I'm about 5 foot something, so it was really nothing to lean into it and dig around.

Worst thing you'd run into in a GS dumpster was leftovers from Mickey D's or whatever other place the GS people got their food from.

Funny thing is, one of the things I picked outta the GS dumpster sold last month for $40.:lol:

Whenever I go to GS and ask about a pennied guide and they no longer have them, they tell me "those were pennied out, we don't have them anymore. Unless you want to dig around in the dumpster". I swear it must be a running joke with the employees.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']A joke worn very thin here.[/QUOTE]

OT, I dig your avatar. Owned every Calvin and Hobbes book at one time.:applause:

Back on topic, I was in BB yesterday and the rack at my store has been substantially reduced. I couldn't immediately identify too many missing guides, other than Mafia 2 and Borderlands GOTY hardcover, so it's not clear to me if it was a reorg or an actual missed drop somewhere along the way.

[quote name='hellmutt']Back on topic, I was in BB yesterday and the rack at my store has been substantially reduced. I couldn't immediately identify too many missing guides, other than Mafia 2 and Borderlands GOTY hardcover, so it's not clear to me if it was a reorg or an actual missed drop somewhere along the way.[/QUOTE]

Mafia II was still at the my nearest BB, Borderlands GOTY was not, however. If my memory serves me right, there were 2 left last time I checked, they're gone now :whistle2:( I'm going to check the others stores for it.

[quote name='htown01']Mafia II was still at the my nearest BB, Borderlands GOTY was not, however. If my memory serves me right, there were 2 left last time I checked, they're gone now :whistle2:( I'm going to check the others stores for it.[/QUOTE]

FYI, Mafia II scanned for full price at Best Buy on Monday.

While not a game guide(or nine), I can report that at least 2-3 things DID penny from BB's website.

If you can find them, the Spongebob and Patrick backpack clips are up on the website for $.01.

If anything, I think it'd be hilarious to grab like 200 of them n chain them all together n make a set of Patrick/Spongebob nunchucks.:rofl:

By the way, if you wanna search if anything pennied on their website, put a percentage sign(%) in the search field and hit search. It'll usually bring up pennied stuff first and foremost in each category.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']While not a game guide(or nine), I can report that at least 2-3 things DID penny from BB's website.

If you can find them, the Spongebob and Patrick backpack clips are up on the website for $.01.

If anything, I think it'd be hilarious to grab like 200 of them n chain them all together n make a set of Patrick/Spongebob nunchucks.:rofl:

By the way, if you wanna search if anything pennied on their website, put a percentage sign(%) in the search field and hit search. It'll usually bring up pennied stuff first and foremost in each category.;)[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate? I tried doing what you said with the % sign but it just takes me to a blank white page.

They must've changed it then, since it used to take you to a listing of pretty much everything on their website with the pennied stuff showing up first.

If the % sign failed to get results, try holding shift and using the number keys on the top of the keyboard and use each of those symbols(@,!,#,$,%,^,&,*,(,) ) until you find one that works.

Unless they changed it recently it should work with one of those symbols.

EDIT: It's the & symbol. That's what triggers it. It brings up like 500k items. Then change the 'sort by' to 'low to high' and it'll bring up the 'FREE'(with contract) phones first.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They must've changed it then, since it used to take you to a listing of pretty much everything on their website with the pennied stuff showing up first.

If the % sign failed to get results, try holding shift and using the number keys on the top of the keyboard and use each of those symbols(@,!,#,$,%,^,&,*,(,) ) until you find one that works.

Unless they changed it recently it should work with one of those symbols.

EDIT: It's the & symbol. That's what triggers it. It brings up like 500k items. Then change the 'sort by' to 'low to high' and it'll bring up the 'FREE'(with contract) phones first.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok, thanks. I tried with the # symbol after % failed and it worked anyway. Actually, almost any symbol from the number row works EXCEPT % haha. Funny thing, though... &, *, and ( bring up 11 more items than the rest.

The Spongebob and Patrick backpack clips are still on the website(search for Spongebob and Patrick, then change the sort to low to high), but they're marked $1.99 on there while on the in-store kiosks they(and at least one other item which I can't remember now) are marked $.01 .

Apparantly Breach (PC) and The Ball (PC) have pennied at GS. My friend saw a stack of them in the back of his store the other day and passed the news on to me. They aren't guides, but I figure it is worth mentioning.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']While not a game guide(or nine), I can report that at least 2-3 things DID penny from BB's website.

[/QUOTE]

Is it sad how much I am considering this?

[quote name='Dark Rider']Is it sad how much I am considering this?[/QUOTE]
When I saw them listed as $.01 on the in store kiosk earlier in Syracuse area I kinda chuckled and was hoping they still had them up front someplace so I could get the usual shocked response from the cashier bout the price.:lol:;)

But I guess they musta junked them out already but forgot to take the listings off the regular site.

I still find it funny that the in-store site/kiosk showed the penny price but the site you surf to at home shows $2 each still.

Didn't BB get in trouble for having two seperate websites(in store n home) and having differing prices on them?

[quote name='dabamus']Borderlands goty did not penny[/QUOTE]

Glad I saw this now.

They had cleaned up the guides area when I was at Best Buy today. Notably, the Borderlands GOTY guide was missing, so I was wondering if I missed out for it being pennied. Guess someone else got to it first. It's not easy to find anyways, so I think I would've bought it at its regular $30. Oh well.

[quote name='imacgod']Glad I saw this now.

They had cleaned up the guides area when I was at Best Buy today. Notably, the Borderlands GOTY guide was missing, so I was wondering if I missed out for it being pennied. Guess someone else got to it first. It's not easy to find anyways, so I think I would've bought it at its regular $30. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

GS had that 50% sale on guides shortly after it was released. I think the price would have been $15? Wish I had grabbed one now, can't find them anywhere.

Regarding Google's Product search, will it show the updated prices right away? Or does it take a day or two for it to show? I was at Sears July 3rd, and went back there today, and there have been no mark downs.

There's no price scanner around the location, and sadly electronic employees were no where to be found. Actually had to ask someone to call a rep down, but he didn't show as long as I waited.

Ended up leaving without verifying the prices.

Anyways, every item mentioned here appeared on Google Products for the same price as what they were tagged a week ago.

[quote name='Invicta 61']GS had that 50% sale on guides shortly after it was released. I think the price would have been $15? Wish I had grabbed one now, can't find them anywhere.[/QUOTE]

It was $12.XX. Close to $13. I think it was a little bit cheaper because there's a 10% or 20% discount on guides with PUR/EDGE. I'm playing through borderlands now, but I still haven't manned up and unwrapped my CE guide. I've flipped through my $.01 standard guide though.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Haven't seen any penny guides. Trying to get an extremely cheap final fantasy 13 guide[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously expecting to find guides marked as a penny on the shelf.:roll::applause:

Also, are you asking for someone to sell/trade you the FF13 guide? If so you're in the wrong place.

You're on a roll in this thread my friend.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Are you seriously expecting to find guides marked as a penny on the shelf.:roll::applause:

Also, are you asking for someone to sell/trade you the FF13 guide? If so you're in the wrong place.

You're on a roll in this thread my friend.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for gamestop or some other place to have it for a good price not trade

If a guide is pennied out you can find it in the main posts, we told you this already. Plus if it pennied out more then 2-3 days ago I highly doubt you'll find it.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']If a guide is pennied out you can find it in the main posts, we told you this already. Plus if it pennied out more then 2-3 days ago I highly doubt you'll find it.[/QUOTE]

Well looks like off to my gamestops dumpster for some guide hunting Thanks :)

It's common sense. If a guide pennies on, for example, the 1st of July, it is thrown out the 1st or 2nd more then likely. Garbage at places like that are picked up at least twice a week so it will be there at most another 2 or so days. So you have 3-4 days at most to get the guide.

The argument you are making is untrue. People have reported seeing guides marked on the sticker as .01c as GS and BB. Very unlikely, but it has happened.

Finding guides once they have been pennied out also isnt as hard as you say. I've found guides recently that have been pennied for quite a long time now. Employees will sometimes take the guides to the back and forget they were pennied out, then another employee puts them back on the shelf later.

Specifically, I found some Uncharted 2 guides at GS a week ago, and a lego complete saga guide at another. There's no reason to wreck this guys hopes when its not entirely unlikely:/

Although you are right about the dumpster thing. Pretty damn unlikely you'll find a guide pennied out months ago in a dumpster.

The situations you are describing are not the rule, but the exception to them. As such I don't talk about that.

For example my Best Buy asked me to buy all 100 penny guides they had a few months back, but that is not the normal thing to occur so I don't bring it up because it is so rare to occur.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']For example my Best Buy asked me to buy all 100 penny guides they had a few months back, but that is not the normal thing to occur so I don't bring it up because it is so rare to occur.[/QUOTE]

I wish my Best Buy was that cool...

Penny guides are a real crapshoot though. I think I've tried hunting for them casually for like a year or two whenever I see the thread surface to page one. My one and only actual haul was the Alan Wake guide bundle I got in June.

So there's no need to dampen people's hopes anyways. That comes with looking for these things. :lol:

Hi, don’t know if this is old news or not, but last week Friday I stopped in at best buy and was chatting it up for a while with a cool best buy employee. I eventually asked if they had any penny guides and he said that he pennied some guides last month (June). Don’t know if any of you guys care, but I am just letting you know there was a drop last month at best buy. I didn’t ask for the name of the guides since they are probably all gone.

[quote name='sk8punkandy']Hi, don’t know if this is old news or not, but last week Friday I stopped in at best buy and was chatting it up for a while with a cool best buy employee. I eventually asked if they had any penny guides and he said that he pennied some guides last month (June). Don’t know if any of you guys care, but I am just letting you know there was a drop last month at best buy. I didn’t ask for the name of the guides since they are probably all gone.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sucks. I had no idea. Oh well, this will get people's attention because it's early Monday morning. I know it got my attention when I saw this thread bumped right now. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back