Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
I was half lucky today. Went to a gamestop, found a guide I wanted, that being Pokemon heartgold v. 2 and I got it =D
But as I was ready to leave I saw that bulletstorm guide and I grabbed it, the cashier couldn't get it to ring it up, which meant a manager came over and said it wasn't supposed to be sold. So today was 1 out of 2, so I feel I did good, seeing as I did get a guide I wanted, didn't care if I got the other or not.

I picked up SWFU2 CE and Dead Rising 2 at my local Best Buy. Also, bought Super Scribblenauts at GS when I was buying a Tactics Ogre guide. The only thing I bought at BBV was a LBP2 guide for $5. The stores I checked really didn't have much. I was hoping to find Dragon Age 2 at 75% off.

To whoever is interested, the Best buy in Hawthorne, CA has one last copy of DR2. They had several SWFU2 CE last week but they were gone when I went yesterday.

Yeah. BBV is Blockbuster, BB is Best Buy and so on.;)

Only decent guide I saw at BBV was the LBP 2 one, but it looked like someone tore off a chunk of the front cover and the page behind it, so I didn't bother picking it up.

[quote name='josb101']never knew it, but assuming now bbv stands for blockbuster video? If I'm right or wrong, please say so..[/QUOTE]

Yeah. BBV = Blockbuster Video.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here but I was at a Borders last weekend and noticed that they had guides on the shelves. If I'm not mistaken, in the past, closing stores usually sent guides back to the publishers rather then sell them at a discount. The discount is currently at 60% off. I got an e-mail saying it was the last 10 days so I'm not sure if there will be another round of drops.

It might be worth taking a look for cheap guides if you have a Borders nearby.

I've been scouting my Borders for about a week waiting for the guides to hit 80% (still only 60%), but someone cleaned out all the ones I wanted yesterday.

Guides almost certainly won't go to 80% at Borders. 60% is usually as good as it gets on those types of items during liquidation.

[quote name='neocisco']Guides almost certainly won't go to 80% at Borders. 60% is usually as good as it gets on those types of items during liquidation.[/QUOTE]
Actually if the idiots would stop buying the shit the percentages might get one or even two more drops before the stores close completely.

As it stands, my closest Borders is being taken over by Books-A-Million and they stopped the sale of any further fixtures or at least the shelving portion of the fixtures sale.

There's not much left in the way of decent DVD/Blu-Ray sets or movies unless you want some Adult Swim sets for $8 each with the 60% off current discount.

I'll still try to be there on their final day and wait around till the end of the day to see if they either bump the percentages up super high(like 95% off) or they do like HWV and most other closing stores did and drop everything to $.50-$1 an item for the final hour of business.;)

went to BB when they dropped metroid other M guide... cuz online they had that and force unleashed guides for $0.01... so i get there and they had a copy of metrouid other M the game on hold not guide, then they gave me the "oh we shipped those out" BS excsue, which I know is a lie cuz i worked for a video game store and whenwe pennied guides we had to throw them out but not til we got what we wanted. IF it was in their inventory, then the guides were still in their store and they shouldve honored it. pissed me off. guess i gotta pay more attention to this thread so I can get to the stores before they take them off the shelves.

BB doesn't have to sell .01 guides to anyone, ever. If you worked in a game store then you should know they're .01 "cuz" it's a code to signify they're no longer to be sold. Lose the sense of entitlement and just be happy if you ever do get any.

[quote name='neocisco']BB doesn't have to sell .01 guides to anyone, ever. If you worked in a game store then you should know they're .01 "cuz" it's a code to signify they're no longer to be sold. Lose the sense of entitlement and just be happy if you ever do get any.[/QUOTE]

Aye.

If I were an employee and that popped up on the screen, I wouldn't sell the item unless my manager stated that it would be okay to do so.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Aye.

If I were an employee and that popped up on the screen, I wouldn't sell the item unless my manager stated that it would be okay to do so.[/QUOTE]

Unless the person complains to corporate and says the experience was very discouraging.

Found a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance guide in fantastic condition today at a Half Price Books for $7.48.

Didn't pick it up though, because I wasn't sure if anyone would want to trade for it. (If someone does, let me know, and I'll pick it up.)

[quote name='boneless']Star Wars Force unleashed 2 CE pennied at Gamestop today. I think that's the only one.[/QUOTE]

Yep it was the only one. The manager and asst manager at mine are now saving penny guides for me. I snagged one of these before I went to work today :D

Thanks Ultragamer. ;) Will update the SKU post now.

EDIT: Added in the SKU for SWTFU II CE guide to the SKU post. Thanks again, Ultragamer and thanks to boneless for originally getting the info on the guide drop.

So I had a huge stack at bestbuy, couldn't remember which for each place, and a majority of them were full price. But I made out with metroid other m and the madden 11 I think it is. A question I have, feel dumb asking it, seeing as I'm sure it would been on this if they did penny. But what about Wal Mart? Do those penny at all?

[quote name='josb101']So I had a huge stack at bestbuy, couldn't remember which for each place, and a majority of them were full price. But I made out with metroid other m and the madden 11 I think it is. A question I have, feel dumb asking it, seeing as I'm sure it would been on this if they did penny. But what about Wal Mart? Do those penny at all?[/QUOTE]

They do the same thing at target probably and just salvage them without dropping their price in the system if one gets left behind.

[quote name='josb101']So I had a huge stack at bestbuy, couldn't remember which for each place, and a majority of them were full price. But I made out with metroid other m and the madden 11 I think it is. A question I have, feel dumb asking it, seeing as I'm sure it would been on this if they did penny. But what about Wal Mart? Do those penny at all?[/QUOTE]
That's why I usually write down which ones I'm looking for from a drop on a list and then go to the store.;) It saves a lot of 'oh I don't want that one'.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's why I usually write down which ones I'm looking for from a drop on a list and then go to the store.;) It saves a lot of 'oh I don't want that one'.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right, but the only guides I really wanted I managed to get, that being the pokemon heartgold from GS

[quote name='Ultragamer']Here's the SKU for the recent drop at gamestop.

830296 Star Wars Force Unleashed II Collectors Edition[/QUOTE]
How do I check inventory?

I searched for a product and got the locator page, put in my zip code and got availability for that product. Then I switched to this sku (830296) but got sent back to the gamestop.com home page. So the best buy trick isn't working for me.

Help?

I just received a newsletter from goHastings.com, saying there is a 40% off sale on all USED books, which happens to include USED strategy guides. There is also free shipping :)(otherwise it would be around $2-$3 each).

http://www.gohastings.com/browse/BO...4294940848+4294965981/departmentName/BOOK.uts
Coupon code: FILLURSHELVES
Expires on the 17th according to the e-mail

I ordered some guides including Killzone 3 ($2.25), MGS Peace Walker ($2.10), Mass Effect 2 ($2.25), Super Street Fighter IV ($2.99), Crysis 2 ($2.45), Third Birthday ($6.53).
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tumbenhaur']I just received a newsletter from goHastings.com, saying there is a 40% off sale on all USED books, which happens to include USED strategy guides. There is also free shipping :)(otherwise it would be around $2-$3 each).

http://www.gohastings.com/browse/BO...4294940848+4294965981/departmentName/BOOK.uts

I ordered some guides including Killzone 3 ($2.25), MGS Peace Walker ($2.10), Mass Effect 2 ($2.25), Super Street Fighter IV ($2.99), Crysis 2 ($2.45), Third Birthday ($6.53).
Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Yeeeesssss....six degrees of Kevin Bacon, page 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP5QZNhGsF4

[quote name='tumbenhaur']I just received a newsletter from goHastings.com, saying there is a 40% off sale on all USED books, which happens to include USED strategy guides. There is also free shipping :)(otherwise it would be around $2-$3 each).

[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks :) Btw, how used are the guides they sell? I'm interested in picking up some but don't want to bother if they are really worn out.

Thx tumbenhaur. Picked up Mass Effect 2, X-Men Origins Wolverine, Little big planet, Metroid Prima Trilogy, and Brutal Legend. all for $16.94.

First time ordering from gohastings, but I am satisfied so far! 10 guides for less than $30 is awesome. Picked up:

bioshock
bioshock 2
kingdom hearts birth by sleep
kingdom hearts 2
kingdom hearts 358/2 days
mass effect 2
Alan wake
bully
dead rising 2
final fantasy crisis core

I too hope they're in good condition.

thanks op!

-whistles- I'm only getting two guides for 10. But damn good deal nonetheless. Shame, but it looks like Crisis Core is now out of stock. I was looking forward to picking that one up. I may have to pick up a 3rd birthday elsewhere too.

Just to give some people one instance of Gohastings' shipment of guides, I ordered two guides a couple of weeks ago during their "2 used books for $10" promo--R&C: A Crack in Time and LoZ: OoT 3D--and they came in practically new condition, other than the "Used" stickers placed on the back which were easy to remove (far easier than the stickers on AWD items...:booty:). Hopefully this experience was not the exception.

I went ahead and got the Red Dead Redemption and Deus Ex: HR guides for a little more than $10 with this 40% off promo. Paying basically $5 for a just-released guide is right up my alley, and while I've been waiting for the RDR guide to penny, paying so little is just fine with me! :bouncy:

New to the thread, haven't caught any penny guides, but did buy 6 guides from the hastings promo for $20. Maybe now I will start playing those games. Thank you for the link. Really hope they are not beat up.

[quote name='Vigilante']Just to give some people one instance of Gohastings' shipment of guides, I ordered two guides a couple of weeks ago during their "2 used books for $10" promo--R&C: A Crack in Time and LoZ: OoT 3D--and they came in practically new condition, other than the "Used" stickers placed on the back which were easy to remove (far easier than the stickers on AWD items...:booty:). Hopefully this experience was not the exception.

I went ahead and got the Red Dead Redemption and Deus Ex: HR guides for a little more than $10 with this 40% off promo. Paying basically $5 for a just-released guide is right up my alley, and while I've been waiting for the RDR guide to penny, paying so little is just fine with me! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
You've had issues removing the AWD stickers? Unless they've been on there forever they're probably the easiest stickers to remove aside from those big price stickers from Blockbusters' used items.

The worst price stickers to try and remove imo though are the old square EB Games stickers. Those take forever to peel off layer by layer and sometimes still leave a lot of residue behind.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You've had issues removing the AWD stickers? Unless they've been on there forever they're probably the easiest stickers to remove aside from those big price stickers from Blockbusters' used items.

The worst price stickers to try and remove imo though are the old square EB Games stickers. Those take forever to peel off layer by layer and sometimes still leave a lot of residue behind.[/QUOTE]

The gamestop stickers are hard to remove since they have the old stickers on top of like 3,4 or 5.

There's actually a way to tell when the stickers were put on the games/items at GS by looking at the smaller groups of numbers on the stickers, since one set of numbers is the date they received the items.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You've had issues removing the AWD stickers? Unless they've been on there forever they're probably the easiest stickers to remove aside from those big price stickers from Blockbusters' used items.

The worst price stickers to try and remove imo though are the old square EB Games stickers. Those take forever to peel off layer by layer and sometimes still leave a lot of residue behind.[/QUOTE]I worded that poorly--while the AWD stickers (and the Gohastings stickers, for that matter) are easy to remove, it's the residue left behind that irks me. The Gohastings stickers don't leave behind any residue.

Yes, I know that there's options for removing the residue (based on the many discussions in the AWD thread :razz:). It's still annoying. :roll:

[quote name='Vigilante']I worded that poorly--while the AWD stickers (and the Gohastings stickers, for that matter) are easy to remove, it's the residue left behind that irks me. The Gohastings stickers don't leave behind any residue.

Yes, I know that there's options for removing the residue (based on the many discussions in the AWD thread :razz:). It's still annoying. :roll:[/QUOTE]
:razz: It takes me maybe two minutes to remove any leftover sticker residue from the game cases from AWD and/or Hastings. You're just doing it wrong.:booty:

Just use the same sticker you just peeled to remove any leftover glue. Stick, peel, stick, peel. ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:razz: It takes me maybe two minutes to remove any leftover sticker residue from the game cases from AWD and/or Hastings. You're just doing it wrong.:booty:

Just use the same sticker you just peeled to remove any leftover glue. Stick, peel, stick, peel. ;)[/QUOTE]

If that doesn't work, GooGone is really good stuff. Doesn't leave any stain.

Does anybody know what the time frame is for BB to take down a guide from the website until it actually pennies in store? If I'm checking the site for certain guides to no longer be listed, once I see that the page is gone how long until I should be able to get it for a penny in the store? My local stores only have one copy of a couple of guides I want so I'm trying to be vigilant so I can get to them as quick as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back