Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mr Blitzkrieg']Question.

I went to Gamestop today and saw a couple Mass Effect 2 guides. I remembered they were supposed to be out of the system, so I had the guy ring them up, and they rang up 19.99. Why? Apparently they went out of the system in January.

Also, they have a listing of it on their website: http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides/mass-effect-2-official-strategy-guide/89189

Any ideas why this is?[/QUOTE]
Did you have the right version of it? There's been at least TWO versions that I know of for it. One covered PC and 360, while a newer one had a big square/rectangle sticker on it that mentioned it now covers PS3.

Maybe it was the non pennied version? Either that or the clerk did an override to MSRP.

EDIT: I just checked the second post and since there's no notation after it I'm assuming that it was the old PC/360 version that dropped. If the one you had had the aforementioned sticker on the front cover or a newer copyright date on the back cover, then it was most likely the PC/360/PS3 version and NOT pennied.

It was definitely the PC/360 version. It didn't have the thing on the side that said it covers all platforms/DLC. I don't think he did an override either, but I may have missed it.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Grrrr. I was in GS yesterday and I saw F3AR, Cheat Codes and Duke Nukem CE on top of the shelf, which I thought was odd and wondered if they were being pre-pulled for a drop. Also in that stack was 2 copies of Dragon Quest VI, is that one still on the site?[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. So I may have been right after all? ;)

Then let's just consider it a general piece of advice for everyone. A TL that's easier to read can only increase the chances that someone will find a guide they want.

[quote name='neocisco']Then let's just consider it a general piece of advice for everyone. A TL that's easier to read can only increase the chances that someone will find a guide they want.[/QUOTE]
Well then mine must be written in hieroglyphics since no one has requested any of mine on my two guide lists(one in my TL, one in the guide trade thread) for a long time now.:booty:

wow my first penny guide! Lil Big Planet 2, I don't even have the game yet :lol:
I did find a Dragon Quest VI at another gamestop but the guy didn't let me have it. All good.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well then mine must be written in hieroglyphics since no one has requested any of mine on my two guide lists(one in my TL, one in the guide trade thread) for a long time now.:booty:[/QUOTE]

you takin' paypal yet old timer? ;)

[quote name='token2k6']you takin' paypal yet old timer? ;)[/QUOTE]
I think I did list that I take it, but the only way I really would is if it went against PP rules(gifted) since I don't wanna lose x% to any sort of fees.

That's why I continue to be old school in my dealings and probably why I haven't made a deal in forever.:razz::booty:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think I did list that I take it, but the only way I really would is if it went against PP rules(gifted) since I don't wanna lose x% to any sort of fees.

That's why I continue to be old school in my dealings and probably why I haven't made a deal in forever.:razz::booty:[/QUOTE]

The correct response was "GET OFF MY LAWN" lol

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Did you have the right version of it? There's been at least TWO versions that I know of for it. One covered PC and 360, while a newer one had a big square/rectangle sticker on it that mentioned it now covers PS3.

Maybe it was the non pennied version? Either that or the clerk did an override to MSRP.

EDIT: I just checked the second post and since there's no notation after it I'm assuming that it was the old PC/360 version that dropped. If the one you had had the aforementioned sticker on the front cover or a newer copyright date on the back cover, then it was most likely the PC/360/PS3 version and NOT pennied.[/QUOTE]

Referencing BB from 08-09-2011, 02:03 AM:

[quote name='PapaSmerf']There are 2 versions of Mass Effect 2 out. The older version has "Exclusive Maps" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307467065) and the newer PS3 version has "Covers all Platforms and DLC" on the spine (ISBN-13: 978-0307890078). The newer version pennied.[/QUOTE]

Referencing GS from 01-29-2011, 06:12 PM
From "Guide Twelve(since apparently I can't count and skipped Eleven)"

[quote name='Ultragamer']Add the following as well

Mass Effect 2(old one without DLC)[/QUOTE]

I was bored :whee:

Picked up Fear 3 and Little Big Planet 2. It seems like every Gamestop around keeps their guides in the back storage room so no one can really check the book inventory.

hey neo if you would have read my post its A WORK IN PROGRESS!!!!! anyhow ive gotten 10+ offers even with the list all messed up like that. ive been busy with work etc.. sorry if your so anal on my list being alphabetized you go do it and ill just copy and paste. but for now i dont care and its staying.

Gah, stopped by Best buy today for gift cards today and decided to take a look at the guides. There were a few decent ones but I couldn't for the life of me remember what was reduced and what was not. Saw Mass Effect 2, Force Unleashed 2, Dead Rising 2, Little big planet 1 & 2, and some more. Hope they stay there until Monday when I have time to go back with a list this time...

[quote name='gauu']hey neo if you would have read my post its A WORK IN PROGRESS!!!!! anyhow ive gotten 10+ offers even with the list all messed up like that. ive been busy with work etc.. sorry if your so anal on my list being alphabetized you go do it and ill just copy and paste. but for now i dont care and its staying.[/QUOTE]

Overreact much? I did read your post and there isn't one word about it being a "work in progress". I was just giving a suggestion hoping it would help you out. If this is how you react when people try to give you some advice then I pity you.

Does anyone know if guides were made for the first 2 Call of Juarez games? I've done a little searching and can't find any confirmation that there were any.

sorry its been a really bad week with work and other issues neo. i thought i posted that im working on fixing it up but wanted to get the gist of it on there. apologize for being nasty that isnt me.

can someone clarify how to use that best buy sku lookup trick? the FAQ says this:

Here's a good little trick that some of you may already know. If you want to find out if your local Best Buy has stock of an item, but the page(and SKU) for it has been deleted you can STILL find/create a stock locator page for it.

Here's how to do it:

Google the item you're looking for the SKU for. Once you find it, take that SKU and copy/paste it into the URL for another item's stock locator page on BestBuy.com after where it says skuID=(example: blahblahblahblahskuID=2085453), then hit enter to reload the page with the new SKU in place of the old one and search away.

Unfortunately no such method exists for Gamestop at this time.

But im not really sure how to do that. I tried just going to a regular items page, like
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Golden+...0343&st=Golden Sun: Dark Dawn guide&lp=1&cp=1

And I think your supposed to switch the sku number out with the 1260343 But Im not really sure what i plug in.. i tried googling the item but all i found were ISBN numbers, no sku or anything. I tried those but they didn't work How do you use this feature? Id like to get a copy of the Golden sun strat guide to actually use

[quote name='Kenshindono']can someone clarify how to use that best buy sku lookup trick? the FAQ says this:

Here's a good little trick that some of you may already know. If you want to find out if your local Best Buy has stock of an item, but the page(and SKU) for it has been deleted you can STILL find/create a stock locator page for it.

Here's how to do it:

Google the item you're looking for the SKU for. Once you find it, take that SKU and copy/paste it into the URL for another item's stock locator page on BestBuy.com after where it says skuID=(example: blahblahblahblahskuID=2085453), then hit enter to reload the page with the new SKU in place of the old one and search away.

Unfortunately no such method exists for Gamestop at this time.

But im not really sure how to do that. I tried just going to a regular items page, like
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Golden+...0343&st=Golden Sun: Dark Dawn guide&lp=1&cp=1

And I think your supposed to switch the sku number out with the 1260343 But Im not really sure what i plug in.. i tried googling the item but all i found were ISBN numbers, no sku or anything. I tried those but they didn't work How do you use this feature? Id like to get a copy of the Golden sun strat guide to actually use[/QUOTE]

Click on "Check Stores" next to "Store Pickup." Next, change the SKU in the address bar after "skuID=" from the product you clicked on to the product you want to look up. In your example, you'd change the SKU from 1260343 to the SKU of the item you want to look up.

Your first link would look like this:
Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&sourceId=1218243762056&sourceType=product&skuId=[COLOR=Red][B]1260343[/B][/COLOR]&productId=1218243762056&sp=&nrp=15&iht=y&list=n&sc=Global&st=golden+sun&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&pageid=pcat17071&listingType=listing&cp=1&qp=&pagetype=page&listflag=true&pageMode=searchmode
After you make the change, it will look like this (where SKU_TO_LOOK_UP is the 7 digit SKU of the product you're interested in):
Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&sourceId=1218243762056&sourceType=product&skuId=[COLOR=Red][B]SKU_TO_LOOK_UP[/B][/COLOR]&productId=1218243762056&sp=&nrp=15&iht=y&list=n&sc=Global&st=golden+sun&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&pageid=pcat17071&listingType=listing&cp=1&qp=&pagetype=page&listflag=true&pageMode=searchmode

so i've tried using that stock locator before on my own and couldn't do it. But how you have it there I could do it just fine.. So thanks for that. Only problem is this, I looked up new super mario bros. wii, and found it near by me, then I tried it again a few minutes later and now it says its not available. Its only 9:26 here, so I don't think the store would be open, so I'll just head down there and see for myself if they have it or not. Has that ever happened to anyone before?

Meaning they looked it up and it was there, tried again a few minutes later and it said it wasn't?

EDIT: Looked up store hours and it didn't open till 10, past 10 now, but obviously wasn't at the time though

Last edited by a moderator:
Noooooooo! I went in to best buy and all the Mass Effect 2 guides were gone (There were like 3 or 5). They had a bunch of Dead rising 2 ones so I grabbed one of those. The guy ringing me up was cool with it even mentioned some guy came in a few weeks before me rambling about how it was a penny. I guess it's better than nothing. They also had super mario galaxy 2 guides but I wasn't really interested in those....

[quote name='Cysquatch']Noooooooo! I went in to best buy and all the Mass Effect 2 guides were gone (There were like 3 or 5). They had a bunch of Dead rising 2 ones so I grabbed one of those. The guy ringing me up was cool with it even mentioned some guy came in a few weeks before me rambling about how it was a penny. I guess it's better than nothing. They also had super mario galaxy 2 guides but I wasn't really interested in those....[/QUOTE]
oh don't be sad, my bestbuy had 3 ME 2 guides, but they are full price. Probably different version.

[quote name='kouleefoh']oh don't be sad, my bestbuy had 3 ME 2 guides, but they are full price. Probably different version.[/QUOTE]

What did they say on the cover? According to the OP the ps3/360 version should ring up for $0.01

Saw DCUO collector's edition with statue and PS3 version for $0.01 at GS. Local DM does field destroy clearance items, so no go for me. I hope someone gets the Batman statue before he gets hammered.

[quote name='shajek']Saw DCUO collector's edition with statue and PS3 version for $0.01 at GS. Local DM does field destroy clearance items, so no go for me. I hope someone gets the Batman statue before he gets hammered.[/QUOTE]

daayyyuummm. I would have loved to pay a penny for that. Probably wouldn't have bought a game for a whole month after scoring that. It'd make pretty happy!

[quote name='shajek']Saw DCUO collector's edition with statue and PS3 version for $0.01 at GS. Local DM does field destroy clearance items, so no go for me. I hope someone gets the Batman statue before he gets hammered.[/QUOTE]
:shock::shock::shock: Too bad I'm not allowed in my closest GS store anymore cuz I think they used to have a handful of these in the backroom.:cry:

Looks like the PC version dropped as well (or at least it's showing up as 0.01 when setting up a store pick up). Unfortunately it's not letting me do a store pick up for the Collector's Edition and the only stores showing that version in stock are around an hour away. Might just have to see if I can grab a PS3 copy for myself and some PC copies for friends.

[quote name='JediJames2']Looks like the PC version dropped as well (or at least it's showing up as 0.01 when setting up a store pick up). Unfortunately it's not letting me do a store pick up for the Collector's Edition and the only stores showing that version in stock are around an hour away. Might just have to see if I can grab a PS3 copy for myself and some PC copies for friends.[/QUOTE]

Is this still at Gamestop? Or are we talking Best Buy?

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Is this still at Gamestop? Or are we talking Best Buy?[/QUOTE]
Gamestop. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop at Best Buy soon, given that the game is going Free2Play.

wait a minute i want to clarify as i was just literally in my gamestop like 30 mins ago and they had 5 of these on the wall still. dc universe online for ps3 the big square box that has like this open front display is pennied???

Yes, gauu, GS. I was just there and found one pennied out...but I was denied. Confirmed the drop, however. This was for the PS3 version. No PC version present.

Damnit, I hate Gamestop drops. The stores near me now keep older guides hidden behind the counter, so when you ask to look through them, they ask you what you want and then pull it if they see it's a penny.

[quote name='JediJames2']Looks like the PC version dropped as well (or at least it's showing up as 0.01 when setting up a store pick up). Unfortunately it's not letting me do a store pick up for the Collector's Edition and the only stores showing that version in stock are around an hour away. Might just have to see if I can grab a PS3 copy for myself and some PC copies for friends.[/QUOTE]

Apparently I have (PC) DCUO in 8 stores close by to me. But I see it popping up at full for in-store pickup. Think that'll make a difference?

The guide has pennied out, maybe few week ago because I have one. And I found a store with 2 limited edition and the manager just laughed and kept it for themselves but gave me a regular edition DC Online game, and Medal of Honor guide.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Apparently I have (PC) DCUO in 8 stores close by to me. But I see it popping up at full for in-store pickup. Think that'll make a difference?[/QUOTE]
I just tried it again and once I select a store it shows the online price being $39.99 and the in store price as $0.01. Not sure why it would be different for any other locations.

Oh, and of course, I put in for an In Store pick up and five minutes later I get an e-mail saying they could not find it in store. Yes, I know, probably should have just gone to the store itself instead but I had no other reason to leave the house today until work later tonight. Did not feel like getting there, finding it and then being denied heh.

I can confirm the PC version of DC Universe Online CE is a penny. I found one at a GS store by me and it came up $.01. Unfortunately they said when games penny their DM comes around to gather up the pennied games and 'ship them back'. I don't know how true this is, but I ended up walking out empty handed.:cry:

Oh well.

I know my old PC would've never played the game probably anyway and I just wanted the statue to go with the Superman Returns bust I got for $.01 from BB a long time ago.;):booty:

Now if I were able to find a PS3 version, I'd gladly play the game once it goes F2P in Oct for a month with that voucher from inside the box.

What I wonder is if you were able to find 12 of these for PC or PS3, would you be able to stack the free intro month vouchers and play for $.12 for a year?;)

I was able to get a statue. Supposedly they are pulling the PS3 game and selling it as a regular copy and dumping the LE stuff. I am not sure if GS normally does that, but isn't that what they did with the God of War III LE?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
What I wonder is if you were able to find 12 of these for PC or PS3, would you be able to stack the free intro month vouchers and play for $.12 for a year?;)[/QUOTE]
No, because they aren't actually a card that is good for one free month but actually an activation code for the disc that lets you play online for free for one month and you can only use one per account.

[quote name='slowdive21']I was able to get a statue. Supposedly they are pulling the PS3 game and selling it as a regular copy and dumping the LE stuff. I am not sure if GS normally does that, but isn't that what they did with the God of War III LE?[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That's what they did with the God Of War 3 Ultimate Edition.:cry:
[quote name='CaptainJoel']No, because they aren't actually a card that is good for one free month but actually an activation code for the disc that lets you play online for free for one month and you can only use one per account.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. In a month or so this dropping at GS won't even matter though due to the F2P model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back