Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ultragamer']That there was a drop, Bestbuy will try and deny it. Just kindly explain that the guides should only be a penny, and if they still refuse to listen grab them all and walk out. Since they are only a penny it will be no real loss to the company and they deserve it for not believe you about them being a penny.

Use the fact that they are no longer listed on the site as a reference to your claims, it should clear things up and they might apologize for the confusion and even give you a $1000 giftcard.[/QUOTE]

Took your advice, need bail money. Pls halp.

;)

[quote name='darthballz']Picked up DAO Awakening and Metroid Other M guides from Bay Shore, NY BB yesterday. Getting things for a penny is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Is that the brown colored hardcover book?

[quote name='Romeo']Is that the brown colored hardcover book?[/QUOTE]
DAO Awakening is very similar to the DAO paperback guide. White with red print. DAO II CE is brown hardcover.

[quote name='token2k6']I'm so confused by the banter, but scanned Assasins Creed Brotherhood CE and RDR, came up full price..[/QUOTE]

If you read the original post that list was just for reference, drop was not official.

[quote name='missingno81']If you read the original post that list was just for reference, drop was not official.[/QUOTE]

He was very clear that there was no drop, period.

I still say that they're probably doing bigger drops and that these 1-2 or so guide drops we've been having lately are probably just a part of a much larger drop that happened, since GS stores only pull the guides they have from a drop and don't receive the full list.

Either way I'll update the appropriate posts and edit this post when it's done as usual.

Thanks as usual Ultragamer.

EDIT: Appropriate posts have been updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I still say that they're probably doing bigger drops and that these 1-2 or so guide drops we've been having lately are probably just a part of a much larger drop that happened, since GS stores only pull the guides they have from a drop and don't receive the full list.

Either way I'll update the appropriate posts and edit this post when it's done as usual.

Thanks as usual Ultragamer.[/QUOTE]

Does that wishlist thing still work? I have one I made recently on Best Buy, but not Gamestop.

I'm not sure. I think they may have taken the wishlist function on GS.com down. Plus many of the guides available in a physical format get switched over to a digital download version sometimes, so their system may not even realize the regular guide has disappeared from the website if that happens.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm not sure. I think they may have taken the wishlist function on GS.com down. Plus many of the guides available in a physical format get switched over to a digital download version sometimes, so their system may not even realize the regular guide has disappeared from the website if that happens.[/QUOTE]

The wishlist is still there, and I'm not positive but don't they relist it as a digital download so the system would recognize the fact it's gone? It's worth an attempt at least.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm not sure. I think they may have taken the wishlist function on GS.com down. Plus many of the guides available in a physical format get switched over to a digital download version sometimes, so their system may not even realize the regular guide has disappeared from the website if that happens.[/QUOTE]

Small drops. The date listed on the sticker for this drop is yesterday. Gamestop seems to just like doing small drops.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Small drops. The date listed on the sticker for this drop is yesterday. Gamestop seems to just like doing small drops.[/QUOTE]

yeah b/c it makes it even harder to grab dem shits! Like I've said before, totally given up on GameStop drops. And boy do they temp you b/c when you go in on the weekend, you can see the empty spots where I'm sure those guides were..

I've seen the D2SLE guide at a Gamestop, and I was going to scan it but didn't. Problem is, I've been to so many gamestops in the last week, I don't remember where I saw it. Oh wells.

Three new guides on Bestbuy.com today. I mention this because the last one is kind of odd-

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Collector's Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
F.E.A.R. 3

What's up with F.E.A.R 3 showing back up?

[quote name='Fatbot3']I'd love to get the DS2LE. Anyone have any luck finding one? Looking for motivation that they are actually still in the wild.[/QUOTE]

I bought a Homefront CE guide today. I don't know if that gives you any hope. Good job bumping the thread right before Monday morning u guys. :p

[quote name='GBAstar']All the AC: Brotherhood CE Guides disappeard from my Best Buy. Did those hit .01?[/QUOTE]

Hmm...I was just there Sunday and it still rang up full price. I'll be pissed if it dropped and they pulled them all. :whistle2:#

damn, so I guess its worth going out today..sounds like a pre-pull, unless they just relocated them. But then again pre-pulls *could/usually* happen a week or two prior, next Monday the third Monday..damn again!

[quote name='token2k6']damn, so I guess its worth going out today..sounds like a pre-pull, unless they just relocated them. But then again pre-pulls *could/usually* happen a week or two prior, next Monday the third Monday..damn again![/QUOTE]

My store had three that were conveniently hidden behind other guides earlier in the week. It's not a high volume store and those had been there for quite a while.

When the information about the DA:O guide was mentioned and someone posted about AC:B CE being pulled from the BB.com website I went to the store to glance at what was there and they definitely had three copies. I went back yesterday to trade some games and they were gone.

I'm wondering if its best to just approach someone from the gaming section and asked about penny guides. They've always been good to me so maybe they'd be okay putting them aside for me.

Not really on topic but would you guys believe I found an Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE guide at our local Goodwill?

Who would donate a guide that new, it didn't make any sense. But at $2 it made a great companion to my ACII CE penny guide I got last year.

[quote name='DJ_Tet']Not really on topic but would you guys believe I found an Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE guide at our local Goodwill?

Who would donate a guide that new, it didn't make any sense. But at $2 it made a great companion to my ACII CE penny guide I got last year.[/QUOTE]

Someone who picked up a bunch of them. If they claim the value as $20, they can get as much as a $5 credit on their taxes, depending what tax bracket they are in, for "charitable donations".

[quote name='daminion']Someone who picked up a bunch of them. If they claim the value as $20, they can get as much as a $5 credit on their taxes, depending what tax bracket they are in, for "charitable donations".[/QUOTE]

Which would be wrong in the eyes of IRS, since only what you paid for it can be deducted :lol:

[quote name='Pookymeister']Which would be wrong in the eyes of IRS, since only what you paid for it can be deducted :lol:[/QUOTE]

Depends on which valuation method you use.

[quote name='token2k6']Yeah NO DROP at BB today..had scanned AC:B CE and RDR in non price check mode..full price.[/QUOTE]

That AC: B CE guide needs to drop...I'm tired of staring at all those copies when I go into bb. I did notice those DNF guides were gone...

Found a new way to not get denied for penny guides: send my eight year old daughter to the counter with my pregnant wife with her. Has worked every time so far.

Question for the CAGs familiar with how Best Buy's computer system works:

Today I asked an employee to do a SKU check on The 3rd Birthday guide for me and I caught a glance at the screen; the guide had two(?) prices associated with it on the screen (both $19.99).

Am I correct in assuming that IF the guide was pennied out, then at least one of those prices would have been $0.01? Or does the penny price only show up at the register? Thanks in advance!

[quote name='MrSmiley1']Found a new way to not get denied for penny guides: send my eight year old daughter to the counter with my pregnant wife with her. Has worked every time so far.[/QUOTE]

Where do you kidnap kids?

[quote name='MrSmiley1']Found a new way to not get denied for penny guides: send my eight year old daughter to the counter with my pregnant wife with her. Has worked every time so far.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant; I salute you sir. :applause:

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Question for the CAGs familiar with how Best Buy's computer system works:

Today I asked an employee to do a SKU check on The 3rd Birthday guide for me and I caught a glance at the screen; the guide had two(?) prices associated with it on the screen (both $19.99).

Am I correct in assuming that IF the guide was pennied out, then at least one of those prices would have been $0.01? Or does the penny price only show up at the register? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
yes if it shows 0.01, its pennied.

most of the time, you can walk to a empty computer (not the cashier guys) and do the price check yourself.
Hit the button for price check, F3 (i think)
Grab the gun and scan the short barcode,
rinse and repeat all the guide that you think it's pennied.

[quote name='anch']yes if it shows 0.01, its pennied.

most of the time, you can walk to a empty computer (not the cashier guys) and do the price check yourself.
Hit the button for price check, F3 (i think)
Grab the gun and scan the short barcode,
rinse and repeat all the guide that you think it's pennied.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Do you mean the actual "employee" computers or the "customer kiosks", or would either one work? The computer the employee used to help me do the SKU check was a "customer kiosk" (I think), but I think he had to hit a button and log in using an employee ID. I also don't recall seeing a price scanner attachment. It would be cool if I could do SKU checks myself though, haha.

Yeah, which computers are these?

I don't think I've ever seen a computer with a scanner open for price checks at my local BBs. Any kiosks for customers only let you browse the website I think.

There's a major drop today at GS. I didn't pick up yet so I don't have the specifics. I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong Country and BF2 are dropped including much more.

EDIT: Fable 3 regular also

[quote name='boneless']There's a major drop today at GS. I didn't pick up yet so I don't have the specifics. I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong Country and BF2 are dropped including much more.

EDIT: Fable 3 regular also[/QUOTE]

When will you know the details?

[quote name='Lightning War']When will you know the details?[/QUOTE]

Late. Like 8-9pm PST. I'm sure other people on this thread will update it before I can.

[quote name='boneless']Late. Like 8-9pm PST. I'm sure other people on this thread will update it before I can.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. I'm sick and won't be going anywhere tonight anyway.

[quote name='kouleefoh']I shall check and let y'all know within 2 hrs.[/quote]

Even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back