Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nogib']You have any luck around these parts PapaSmerf?[/QUOTE]
I checked 4 stores from E to W and all were pulled.

I only ended up spending money on a Skyrim CE guide and Halo Reach Legendary (my son really wants that flaming helmet).

I have not been to my historically lazy stores yet, but probably won't get there. I got most of these guides from goHastings anyway during the last couple of sales.

EDIT: I was tempted by a Gears of War 3 (soft) on clearance (yes, clearance) for $5 at MoA, but I figured there are so many of those, I'll get one later. I still have to play 2.

Checked 2 stores; the first had nothing and the other had a lot:
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Crysis 2
Dragon Quest VI
Duke Nukem Forever
Duke Nukem Forever CE
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Killzone 3
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
L.A. Noire
LittleBigPlanet 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Portal 2
Thor: God of Thunder

Still on the hunt for:
The 3rd Birthday
Fable 3 CE
FEAR 3
Red Dead Redemption

Darn! I've never bought a penny guide. I guess I can't keep up! I was there at Best Buy last night to get AC:B and didn't even know. I would have looked for RDR and Halo Reach.

I got Balls of Steel.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Is the Homefront CE still not pennied at Best Buy? It looks like they pulled it but I never saw it on a pennied list.[/QUOTE]

Both my stores till have CE copies on the shelf.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Is the Homefront CE still not pennied at Best Buy? It looks like they pulled it butI never saw it on a pennied list.[/QUOTE]
Not pennied.

[quote name='Hinoshiko']People should stop hoarding the guides. It's one thing to get one copy of something but another to get 10 of the same guide.
I collect video game guides and i have no problem buying them at full price. If i find a guide that i wanted and it's been pennied out, that would be epic, but i'll still grab only one for myself and that's it.[/QUOTE]
So you would rather they get 'sent back'(to the dumpster) than have someone take all of the guides? I still don't see why there hasn't been some sort of expose done on how wasteful some of these companies are with their end of life products.

Even if BB/GS donated their pennied out shit to Goodwill/Salvation Army(like I think Target does to Goodwill sometimes) instead of throwing it in the dumpster and having it end up in a landfill.

We're such a wasteful society as a whole at times, it's truly sickening.

On topic, I still haven't checked either of my local BB stores and chances are by now they already pulled/destroyed everything or the dickhead who resells at the one local flea market got their grubby mitts on em.:whistle2:#

[quote name='confoosious']If you're feeling generous, you could just give em away to CAGs. (active cool ones, not lurkers.) I did that a while ago with some guides I was never gonna use or had duplicates of. Instead of making $1 after fees on amazon, I just put em up for free. People sent me shipping labels so I didn't even have to do anything but shove em in a box.

It was pretty satisfying. Except for like a couple of people who never even bothered to thank me. Helping out fellow cags is cool. I've had a few people offer me up some guides for free since then but never took them up on their offer.

Lately I've been only grabbing guides I'm actually gonna use instead of just grabbing every penny guide. I mean really, what am I gonna do with this Bionic Commando guide.[/QUOTE]
That's the worst(to me) are the folks who don't even bother to say THANK YOU if yer doing em a favor. Knowing my luck I'd get all barely active CAG's wanting ONLY the CE/SE/LE ones and expect ME to pay for the shipping out of pocket to give them to them.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']I checked 4 stores from E to W and all were pulled.

I only ended up spending money on a Skyrim CE guide and Halo Reach Legendary (my son really wants that flaming helmet).

I have not been to my historically lazy stores yet, but probably won't get there. I got most of these guides from goHastings anyway during the last couple of sales.

EDIT: I was tempted by a Gears of War 3 (soft) on clearance (yes, clearance) for $5 at MoA, but I figured there are so many of those, I'll get one later. I still have to play 2.[/QUOTE]

Gears 3 softcover was $5 at a BB (what is MoA)? thanks

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So you would rather they get 'sent back'(to the dumpster) than have someone take all of the guides? I still don't see why there hasn't been some sort of expose done on how wasteful some of these companies are with their end of life products.

Even if BB/GS donated their pennied out shit to Goodwill/Salvation Army(like I think Target does to Goodwill sometimes) instead of throwing it in the dumpster and having it end up in a landfill.

[/QUOTE]

I said this many times, but what happen at GS/BB is nothing compare to a regular bookstore. If you think this is bad wait till you see how much eatable food is thrown away everyday.

[quote name='62t']I said this many times, but what happen at GS/BB is nothing compare to a regular bookstore. If you think this is bad wait till you see how much eatable food is thrown away everyday.[/QUOTE]
Amen! This is America after all!

Managed to get a few guides at my BB. RDR, KZ3, DQ6, MvC3, Halo, 3rd Birthday, and LA Noire. Got a few extras for trades and the like.

I wish my Gamestops weren't so on the ball with their guide pulling. I really wanted a DQ IX guide. No idea how that one is still full price at BB.

[quote name='hellmutt']The trade thread has been rather dead lately. I am sitting on a huge pile of old guides that is about to go to some used bookstore somewhere...[/QUOTE]

The trade thread would be more active if people didn't expect more than $1-2 for things they got for a penny or free.

On Topic:
No guides at Greenwood BB. Wish I could get up to the BB near Purdue, they never seemed to pre-pull.

[quote name='cgxcswim']The trade thread would be more active if people didn't expect more than $1-2 for things they got for a penny or free.

On Topic:
No guides at Greenwood BB. Wish I could get up to the BB near Purdue, they never seemed to pre-pull.[/QUOTE]
I can see the $1-2 price for stuff that's common and not worth something, but you know how many times people want an LE guide from me and their offer is $3 SHIPPED? A LOT. At least if people are gonna ask for a hardcover guide or one with value(according to eBay, etc), then be prepared to offer up something of similar value.

To me it doesn't matter if I paid $.01 for these or full price, what I want is what I want. If you don't feel like giving me what I feel is an EVEN trade/offer for it, then get lost. Simple as that.

But as it stands all of the 'common' guides I have are available for a 10 for $10 plus flat rate Priority Mail box shipping dealie and have been for over a year now. But as I said above, people want 9 of the LE's for $10 and that just ain't happening with me as that's my main trade fodder.

Was surprised to find some at the usually vigilant BB. Got most of the ones i was interested in - scored Portal 2, Fable III, LBP2, & Kingdom Hearts. Wouldn't have minded RDR or Dragon quest.

For anyone looking for DNF:CE with no luck - i got one a week or so ago from gohastings for $5 shipped. Might still be that cheap now.

Scored, finally after nada for months at GS and BB.
Looks like the new/temps for the holiday season are dropping the ball.

The 3rd Birthday
Crysis 2
Duke Nukem Forever (sealed)
Duke Nukem Forever CE x2
Halo Reach
Killzone 3 (sealed)
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (fold on corner of front cover)
L.A. Noire
Portal 2 :hot:(sealed)

Thor God of Thunder

Did the Pokemon B&W CE guide drop? I was at my local BB yesterday. They had a copy about two weeks ago, but I didn't see it yesterday. I'm guessing it did, I wanted that guide.

If anyone is able to find one and confirm, that would be great.

AC II LE is over $50 a copy currently. I sold 21 copies for 325 dollars paypal shipped over a year ago.

People like cgxcswim can whine all they want but if people want to trade or buy stuff, they need stuff to trade or pony up real dough cause real gas and real time was spent getting and shipping stuff that is worth real money.

[quote name='cgxcswim']The trade thread would be more active if people didn't expect more than $1-2 for things they got for a penny or free.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I can see the $1-2 price for stuff that's common and not worth something, but you know how many times people want an LE guide from me and their offer is $3 SHIPPED? A LOT. .................

To me it doesn't matter if I paid $.01 for these or full price, what I want is what I want. If you don't feel like giving me what I feel is an EVEN trade/offer for it, then get lost. Simple as that.

.....But as I said above, people want 9 of the LE's for $10 and that just ain't happening with me as that's my main trade fodder.[/QUOTE]

AC II LE is over $50 a copy currently. I sold 21 copies for 325 dollars paypal shipped over a year ago.

People like cgxcswim can whine all they want but if people want to trade or buy stuff, they need stuff to trade or pony up real dough cause real gas and real time was spent getting and shipping stuff that is worth real money.

lol i couldn't find any guides on the list. I literally drove to 4 BBs in SOCAL and was told they were pulled off the shelf last night :( but i was able to find 2 copies of Star Wars Unleashed II LE & Medal of Honor LE from the previous drops.

im going to take the 10 minute longer route to work today to pass by my local best buy. there really isnt much of anything on the list i want but wouldnt mind at least having new trade bait stuff etc...

I got a decent pull at my local Best Buy, so THANKS! (Since people complained about no one saying thanks - valid point.)

I got a few copies of many of the guides listed.... but left a bunch for others. It looks as if there was no effort made to remove guides at all, so there were a ton there. I'll be going back today to see if some are left, and I'll slowly deplete the stock over time if no one else takes it.... seems fair enough.

I'll have extras and will gladly post them in the trade/sale thread. I'm not interested in hoarding and will gladly get rid of duplicates that I have. An update for my guide collection is long overdue.

Thanks again for posting... like many others... this is my first big pull in a long time, especially at BB.

Friend jynxed it for me.. He said I'd only get 1 guide, and it would be for a game I didn't even really want. Which was exactly what it was.. Got the L.A. Noire guide. Really wanted the KHBBS and 3rd Bday, both games I do own

[quote name='nixmahn']Scored, finally after nada for months at GS and BB.
Looks like the new/temps for the holiday season are dropping the ball.

The 3rd Birthday
Crysis 2
Duke Nukem Forever (sealed)
Duke Nukem Forever CE x2
Halo Reach
Killzone 3 (sealed)
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (fold on corner of front cover)
L.A. Noire
Portal 2 :hot:(sealed)

Thor God of Thunder
[/QUOTE]

Is Portal 2 rare or something? Doesn't look like they go for much.

[quote name='nixmahn']AC II LE is over $50 a copy currently. I sold 21 copies for 325 dollars paypal shipped over a year ago.

[/quote]

Yeah. There's no hoarding going at all. Clearly people are picking extra guides up in order to "save" them from the dumpster and for trading.

Sure iatcg, that's what theyre doing.

Fairly new to this thread, read the FAQ...just had one question. What do you do if the guide rings up as full price? Just say I change my mind and walk out? lol

[quote name='proKoyeon']Fairly new to this thread, read the FAQ...just had one question. What do you do if the guide rings up as full price? Just say I change my mind and walk out? lol[/QUOTE]Usually you don't have to worry about that, assuming you pay close attention to both this thread and the register at the store where you're purchasing the guide(s); very rarely (if ever) are guides not pennied after several people have confirmed its pennied status. I've heard (i.e. not experienced myself) that a sneaky cashier might override the penny price to the regular full price, but as long as you're looking closely at the computer screen when they're scanning the guide(s), you should be able to see the pennied price.

If you want to be really cautious, you can just say that you "heard that this/these guide(s) were on clearance and you wanted to know its/their price". ;)

[quote name='Vigilante']Usually you don't have to worry about that, assuming you pay close attention to both this thread and the register at the store where you're purchasing the guide(s); very rarely (if ever) are guides not pennied after several people have confirmed its pennied status. I've heard (i.e. not experienced myself) that a sneaky cashier might override the penny price to the regular full price, but as long as you're looking closely at the computer screen when they're scanning the guide(s), you should be able to see the pennied price.

If you want to be really cautious, you can just say that you "heard that this/these guide(s) were on clearance and you wanted to know its/their price". ;)[/QUOTE]

Alright awesome man, thanks alot...going to have to see if I can find any guides at my local Best Buy.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So you would rather they get 'sent back'(to the dumpster) than have someone take all of the guides? I still don't see why there hasn't been some sort of expose done on how wasteful some of these companies are with their end of life products.

[/QUOTE]

That actually is not a bad idea. I might do it next time I am looking for an investigative piece.

Rocky Mount, NC location had a few left. I bought a couple and as I was paying some dude looked through my order. I took mine out to my car and went back in and the same guy was pulling them from the shelf. He said that usually they get a printout of what to pull but this month they hadn't. Still a few guides left, they only pulled what I bought.

I know for a fact that 3rd Birthday, Fear 3, Thor and Dragon's Quest VI were left.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']Not a bad lil haul - 3rd Bday , LA Noire ( going to bro since he just got it ) and Dead Rising 2 all for a measly 3 cents ! :)[/QUOTE]

Dead Rising 2 was pennied out at BB months or so ago. Surprised you still found it.

I wasn't expecting much since I wasn't able to go to BB until today but I made out pretty good. I went to my dependable BB and all they had left was a single Duke Nukem CE. I decided to try the BB where they always deny me and found it fully stocked. The guy at the register told me that he needed to get approval from a manager so I was sure I would get denied. He came back and told me that I was good to go. I picked up:

Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem: BoS Edition
Crysis 2
MvC3
Fear 3
Fable 3
Halo Reach

I passed on LBP2 since I already have a copy and I forgot to get the only copy of Killzone 3 that I found. I really wanted Portal 2 but I can't complain.

[quote name='confoosious']Yeah. There's no hoarding going at all. Clearly people are picking extra guides up in order to "save" them from the dumpster and for trading.

Sure iatcg, that's what theyre doing.[/QUOTE]

I'll go on record and say I hoarded when I first learned about penny guides. Once people find out they are stuck with 50 copies of Cheat Codes Summer 2011 edition, they will (hopefully) adjust their behavior. (for me it was 9 copies of Tabula Rasa...It is such a pretty guide though).

[quote name='confoosious']Yeah. There's no hoarding going at all. Clearly people are picking extra guides up in order to "save" them from the dumpster and for trading.

Sure iatcg, that's what theyre doing.[/QUOTE]

Those guides would have been dumped and yes, they were for trading .................

.................for 325 dollars.

Also got a paper cut helping the cashier bag my most recent haul.

FEAR 3 and Red Dead Redemption

[quote name='slowdive21']I'll go on record and say I hoarded when I first learned about penny guides. Once people find out they are stuck with 50 copies of Cheat Codes Summer 2011 edition, they will (hopefully) adjust their behavior. (for me it was 9 copies of Tabula Rasa...It is such a pretty guide though).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was mostly remarking about IATTCG's comment that hoarders are somehow doing a good deed by saving the guides from certain doom and are helping CAGs out by trading them. Clearly nixmahn wasn't interested in trading them. Just wanted to hoard and profit.

[quote name='confoosious']Yeah, I was mostly remarking about IATTCG's comment that hoarders are somehow doing a good deed by saving the guides from certain doom and are helping CAGs out by trading them. Clearly nixmahn wasn't interested in trading them. Just wanted to hoard and profit.[/QUOTE]

trading = profit for both parties. I just profited in a different way. And many long time CAG'ers and a mod or 2 will testify to my trading credentials.

I asked the gaming sup about penny guides and who from AP is pulling them since they're pretty on the nose about this (everything was pulled)... He said he didn't know and would ask around.

I go in today and apparently the sup. told the person working today to let me know if I came in that he found some guides for me.

So... I guess they found the guides which were already pulled and he just set them aside for me. Lol. So badass.

Well, I missed out this time for new guides this drop, though I did find a few Dead Rising 2s and a Sims 3 from the previous drop still out at one. Here's hoping I can find a generous person to trade me a 3rd birthday guide for one of them.

Zero luck last night at the following BBs:
San Carlos
Palo Alto
Mountain View
Milpitas

Guess they've been vigilant about the drops not being on the floor. Been out of the loop for a couple of years now.

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']Zero luck last night at the following BBs:
San Carlos
Palo Alto
Mountain View
Milpitas

Guess they've been vigilant about the drops not being on the floor. Been out of the loop for a couple of years now.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad, Curtner, Blossom Hill, and Santana Row had nothing by Tuesday afternoon as well.

I scored at another BB today. I got a couple copies of most of the paperback guides listed (no CE's). Again, I left several copies for others as BB had not pulled anything off the shelves. I was thinking I'd get enough to trade, but leave a bunch for others.

Well, one of the cashiers was overly curious, and said she was going to buy some for herself..... silently I thought to myself "dammit!" She asked which ones were a penny, then got distracted and I left hoping to not give them too much information.

When I went back in a few minutes later, they were pulling all of the penny guides and stacking them.... assuming for disposal but who knows.

Regardless, I'll have some in the trade thread soon. Hoping to work a trade for a Dead Space 2 LE..... hopefully. Trying again to avoid hoarding and help out the trading community, so hit me up if you're looking for some guides from the recent pull. Odds are I have at least one copy of one of them.

[quote name='slowdive21']I'll go on record and say I hoarded when I first learned about penny guides. Once people find out they are stuck with 50 copies of Cheat Codes Summer 2011 edition, they will (hopefully) adjust their behavior. (for me it was 9 copies of Tabula Rasa...It is such a pretty guide though).[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I hoarded like crazy when I first found out about pennied guides. I then stopped doing that when I ended up with around 800-900 guides within a couple years of joining CAG. But since my stores around here usually block me on getting guides for a penny anymore, I just try for everything anymore and just go whole hog. If they deny me at the register, then oh well. I just leave them all there and walk out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. I hoarded like crazy when I first found out about pennied guides. I then stopped doing that when I ended up with around 800-900 guides within a couple years of joining CAG. But since my stores around here usually block me on getting guides for a penny anymore, I just try for everything anymore and just go whole hog. If they deny me at the register, then oh well. I just leave them all there and walk out.[/QUOTE]

The thing is that once someone in the games section knows that someone is getting them for a penny the Dudley Do-rights go and pull them immediately. I'm with you, get what you can because even if you do leave them they aren't necessarily going to be there for the next CAG anyways. That doesn't mean I walk up with a shopping cart but I have no problems snagging one of each.

And as for people being stuck with guides, come on. They are a penny. What's the difference between you giving/throwing them away or the store? I'd rather buy them for a penny and give them to my friends than see them being trashed.

Edit: Actually found a God of War III guide in my Best Buy today. It was pennied out of a year ago.

Found a stack at the most hated BB and was denied. The manager there was different and was quite nice. Maybe the evil bitch that denied me several times before has gone back to her cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back