Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
They had ZERO of the pennied ones at my closest BB when I went there to do some game trades this morning. I guess that's what I get for taking so long to get there. Oh well.

I got two today, which is surprising. I'm happy that this store doesn't pull them early though, I'll have to be more on top of it next time there's a drop.

[quote name='Glasscocked']
And as for people being stuck with guides, come on. They are a penny. What's the difference between you giving/throwing them away or the store? I'd rather buy them for a penny and give them to my friends than see them being trashed.
[/QUOTE]

I tried that with offering guides to my friends but I find rarely anyone want them which I was really surprised about since for free, you would think they would want a guide for anything they might be interested in and might get the game for later. Back when the there were a ton of guides online I think in February, I ordered extras figuring my friends would want them. A couple weeks later I met up with everyone and offered anything I didn't keep for myself to the 4 friends. 2 people didn't want anything, 1 took 1 guide, someone else took 2 guides. I couldn't believe it, especially since I know one friend who didn't want any guides had 2 of the games I had the guides for.

Ahoy mates, here are the BB SKU's for what I have scored this drop. Good luck and hope you find some in your area.

9904441 - Red Dead Redemption
2293091 - Fear 3
9743981 - God of War 3
2293082 - The 3rd Birthday
1278062 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
1507148 - Call of Duty Black Ops
2045088 - Killzone 3
2829038 - Duke Nukem CE
1980063 - Marvel vs. Capcom 3
2045103 - Crysis 2
2415794 - Portal 2
2156199 - LA Noire
1487177 - Fable 3
1254032 - Halo Reach

I forgot to post about my success at two BBYs yesterday:

-CoD:BO
-Crysis 2 (x2)
-Fable III (x2, sealed)
-Portal 2 (sealed)
-The 3rd Birthday

I was really surprised to find anything at those two stores since they seemed to be on top of pulling guides at the time of the last penny drop. Funnily enough, the cashiers didn't really comment on the guides' price beign suspicious (one thought it was a good deal and asked if "I was sure I had enough money for them" :lol:). I might go back and get another copy of the Portal 2 guide (there were two left), simply because it's such an awesome guide.

Only thing I was able to get was the cheats overload book. Assassin's creed brotherhood guide needs to drop fast since my best buy has about 20 copy's.

I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to reply ... I had some free time after work on Wednesday, so I hit up a couple of stores that were more out of the way for me. I nabbed one of almost all the guides in the drop from the one store and didn't find any of the missing ones at the other store so I just left the ones that were there for other people to grab.

Here's what I remember was kinda left at those stores:

Pacoima, CA store:
several (4 maybe) Halo Reach
several (3ish) Cheat Code books
Duke
Portal
Fear 3 (maybe, I think)

Sherman Oaks, CA:
2 LBP2's
3-4 Duke
2-3 Cheat Codes

Also, I started a very modest trade list in the trade thread since I'm kinda new to collecting.

Happy hunting everyone! It sounds like most people got lucky with this drop even days afterward. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. I hoarded like crazy when I first found out about pennied guides. I then stopped doing that when I ended up with around 800-900 guides within a couple years of joining CAG. [/QUOTE]

I didn't end up with that many, but I did the same thing. Now I limit myself to 2 of each guide - except for LE's... If I find an LE, it's coming home with me... Now pardon me while I go sell those ACII guides I got forever ago and get a good part of my purchase price of a new Shaun Morgan Edition Schecter guitar :D

Maybe you all can help me decide what I should use the BBY "50% off a guide" coupon on before it expires 12/31...

-Borderlands GotY: My local BBY has had a single copy sitting on the shelf for months now, and I would get it primarily because I'm hearing that it's hard to find. However, I can see it pennying out very soon (possibly before Christmas), and I might want to tempt being able to get it then due to my BBY not pulling guides from this latest drop. I don't actually have the game to go with it, but I could pick it up from GS during their BF sale to justify getting this guide.

-Skyrim CE: I already have a copy of this beast of a guide (paying $22.34 from Amazon thanks to Gold Box), but based on what people are saying, I could pick up another for cheap and sell it to cover for a bit more than I paid for both.

I'm not interested in the Uncharted 3 CE (can't justify buying a guide for a linear shooter) or the LoZ: Skyward Sword CE (I want SS to be the first Zelda I play guide-free, and I've heard the paper quality isn't all that good), other guides that CAGs have been considering.

What would make my decision that much easier is if I could somehow preorder a CE guide in-store for full price and apply the coupon to it; if the FFXIII-2 CE (or ME3 CE as a backup) shows up for preorder on BB.com before 12/31 and I can do that, that would be one of the easiest decisions for me to make! :D

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I didn't end up with that many, but I did the same thing. Now I limit myself to 2 of each guide - except for LE's... If I find an LE, it's coming home with me... Now pardon me while I go sell those ACII guides I got forever ago and get a good part of my purchase price of a new Shaun Morgan Edition Schecter guitar :D[/QUOTE]
I think I have a handful of those sitting around here myself. I should toss em up on Amazon.
[quote name='Vigilante']
I'm not interested in the Uncharted 3 CE (can't justify buying a guide for a linear shooter)[/QUOTE]
Whoa there, buster. The COD games are linear shooters, the Battlefield games are linear shooters, but Uncharted 3 has 'treasures' you have to look for and scour the environments to find. Some of those treasures are a major league pain in the ass to find without the help of a guide.

[quote name='Vigilante']Maybe you all can help me decide what I should use the BBY "50% off a guide" coupon on before it expires 12/31...

-Borderlands GotY: My local BBY has had a single copy sitting on the shelf for months now, and I would get it primarily because I'm hearing that it's hard to find. However, I can see it pennying out very soon (possibly before Christmas), and I might want to tempt being able to get it then due to my BBY not pulling guides from this latest drop. I don't actually have the game to go with it, but I could pick it up from GS during their BF sale to justify getting this guide.

-Skyrim CE: I already have a copy of this beast of a guide (paying $22.34 from Amazon thanks to Gold Box), but based on what people are saying, I could pick up another for cheap and sell it to cover for a bit more than I paid for both.

I'm not interested in the Uncharted 3 CE (can't justify buying a guide for a linear shooter) or the LoZ: Skyward Sword CE (I want SS to be the first Zelda I play guide-free, and I've heard the paper quality isn't all that good), other guides that CAGs have been considering.

What would make my decision that much easier is if I could somehow preorder a CE guide in-store for full price and apply the coupon to it; if the FFXIII-2 CE (or ME3 CE as a backup) shows up for preorder on BB.com before 12/31 and I can do that, that would be one of the easiest decisions for me to make! :D

Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

There is no doubt in my mind you should get the Skyrim CE. Not only is is getting difficult to find but it is a beautiful wonderful guide for what looks to be a humongous game. This is the type of guide that people want. In the last day I am seeing that most sold for over $50 on ebay and some over $70 with buy it now. You would be silly not to use that coupon on that guide today and ebay it tonight.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Whoa there, buster. The COD games are linear shooters, the Battlefield games are linear shooters, but Uncharted 3 has 'treasures' you have to look for and scour the environments to find. Some of those treasures are a major league pain in the ass to find without the help of a guide.[/QUOTE]I'm fully aware of the treasures, but I've been perfectly satisfied using GameFAQs for finding them in the first and second installments; I don't doubt that I'll be able to do the same for U3 by the time I've beaten it and started another playthrough to acquire the treasures I couldn't find on my own (I don't even own U3 yet--I might get it during BF and I've got a meaty backlog, so it might be a while before I pop it into my PS3 ;)).

[quote name='whisper22']50% off a guide???? What? Where? More info needed![/QUOTE]New BBY Gamers Club Unlocked members are supposed to be receiving a packet of four coupons in the mail, and the 50% off a guide coupon is one of them. For more details, check this thread.

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']Zero luck last night at the following BBs:
San Carlos
Palo Alto
Mountain View
Milpitas

Guess they've been vigilant about the drops not being on the floor. Been out of the loop for a couple of years now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Don't feel too bad, Curtner, Blossom Hill, and Santana Row had nothing by Tuesday afternoon as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting these locations, and saving me from making the trip.
At the Sunnyvale location I found Duke Nukem (Softcover) and a single Kingdom Hearts guide today, so it would have paid to be early.
San Carlos pulls the guides 9 out of 10 times, Palo Alto, Mountain View and Sunnyvale are hit-or-miss, and for Milpitas, you need to get there as the store is opening to have a chance.

I just scored 6 guides form the Best Buy on Princess Anne Rd in VA Beach, VA.
I got:
2x Portal 2
2x The 3rd Birthday
2x Dragon Quest VI

There were 2 more copies left of the Dragon Quest guide. The other 2 I got the last copies of.
When ringing up I was buying another item there but the employee did not even bat and eye at the price.

I was able to score several guides today. This particular BB even still had stuff from the last drop :shock:
I scanned AC Brotherhood and MK CEs but they were still full price.

[quote name='whisper22']I was able to score several guides today. This particular BB even still had stuff from the last drop :shock:
I scanned AC Brotherhood and MK CEs but they were still full price.[/QUOTE]

Care to enlighten a fellow ATL CAG via PM? Much obliged.

I remember getting the stock locator to work before but I can't get it working now; whenever I change the sku in the url and press enter it stays on the same item I am already looking at (but the URL keeps the sku I entered). Any tips?

Did anyone get inFamous 2 for a $.01 at BB? When I went to check out it rang up at full price. The cashier was surprised when the guides rang up at a $.01 and asked me how did I know that they would be that cheap. I told him I found out from CAG.

Got:

L.A. Noire
Fear 3
LBP2
Fable 3
Thor
Killzone 3
Crysis 2

[quote name='xsdeal']Did anyone get inFamous 2 for a $.01 at BB? When I went to check out it rang up at full price. The cashier was surprised when the guides rang up at a $.01 and asked me how did I know that they would be that cheap. I told him I found out from CAG.

Got:

L.A. Noire
Fear 3
LBP2
Fable 3
Thor
Killzone 3
Crysis 2[/QUOTE]

Oh, Here go hell come.

[quote name='xsdeal']Did anyone get inFamous 2 for a $.01 at BB? When I went to check out it rang up at full price. The cashier was surprised when the guides rang up at a $.01 and asked me how did I know that they would be that cheap. I told him I found out from CAG.

Got:

L.A. Noire
Fear 3
LBP2
Fable 3
Thor
Killzone 3
Crysis 2[/QUOTE]

Infamous 2 not pennied. You did not find out from CAG, you found out from a friend, the interwebs or a little bird.

Got:

L.A. Noire
Fear 3
LBP2
Fable 3
Thor
Killzone 3
Crysis 2[/QUOTE]

sheesh another 12 year old....

Got:

L.A. Noire
Fear 3
LBP2
Fable 3
Thor
Killzone 3
Crysis 2[/QUOTE]

You found out from the internet. Don't mention CAG, also the days of getting penny guides are slim to none.

Seems like all my stores don't let me organize the guide rack anymore.:roll:

Picked up Yesterday

L.A. Noire
Dead to Rights Retribution x 2
Dead Rising 2 Sealed x 2
Metroid Other M Sealed x 3

Keeping one DTR ,other than that if interested im always interested in trading for non CE LE penny guides :)

Hit up my BB today to pick up a 7.99 copy of Bulletstorm, and decided to check the guides while I was there. The only one from recent drops I found was Metroid: Other M, and I did successfully buy it for $0.01...guy at the register gave the old "Holy crap, you're getting this for ONE CENT!" It had been so long since I last tried for penny guides that I actually got a warm fuzzy off of that one. :D

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Hit up my BB today to pick up a 7.99 copy of Bulletstorm, and decided to check the guides while I was there. The only one from recent drops I found was Metroid: Other M, and I did successfully buy it for $0.01...guy at the register gave the old "Holy crap, you're getting this for ONE CENT!" It had been so long since I last tried for penny guides that I actually got a warm fuzzy off of that one. :D[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing, picked up the Metroid Other M
game for $4.99 and the guide for 1 cent...

[quote name='jimijumper']I did the same thing, picked up the Metroid Other M
game for $4.99 and the guide for 1 cent...[/QUOTE]

They're supposed to give you 15% off with that combo purchase.

Did the Metroid thing on Black Friday. The girl was obviously new because she was still in a good mood. She saw the penny show up, goes over to a manager, and they just waved it through. She actually said "It's an extra savings because it's Black Friday!"

That was kind of cute.

I hit up about 5 best buys around the Pittsburgh area the last couple weeks and it looked like most of the stores pulled the guides. None of the displays had any gaps so it looks like they were rearranged after pulling them. I was able to score one Duke Nukem CE at least.

I was able to get a copy of Infamous 2 guide (gamestop) and Crysis 2 (BB). Thanks to everyone who helped to keep the updates on price drops. This may become a new obsession.

Is it worth picking up some guides from best buy that have already dropped at gamestop. then wait until january 23 for a penny out deal or if not just return and wait again?

[quote name='boosted02gt']Is it worth picking up some guides from best buy that have already dropped at gamestop. then wait until january 23 for a penny out deal or if not just return and wait again?[/QUOTE]

I'd say no. I dont think any company is going to let you return a guide and then re-buy it for .01

It was just a idea but I guess it would make sense from their stand point. Kind of a losing battle for them there. I will just keep my out for a price drop then. Is there any usual time when they often hit clearance. Middle or end of the month? every month? or just completely random.

SKU post is finally updated for BB. Sorry about the delay. Thanks for the list of SKU's to add, Glasscocked.
[quote name='boosted02gt']It was just a idea but I guess it would make sense from their stand point. Kind of a losing battle for them there. I will just keep my out for a price drop then. Is there any usual time when they often hit clearance. Middle or end of the month? every month? or just completely random.[/QUOTE]
Tuesday or Wednesday of every week is the time to check this thread for Gamestop drops, while it's usually the first Monday of the month for Best Buy.

I'm just hoping that I don't miss out on the Homefront CE guide when it pennies out. My store has alot of older game guides. Medal of Honor, Homefront, Dead Space 2, etc.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']SKU post is finally updated for BB. Sorry about the delay. Thanks for the list of SKU's to add, Glasscocked.

Tuesday or Wednesday of every week is the time to check this thread for Gamestop drops, while it's usually the first Monday of the month for Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

BB is usually Monday but I'm glad I walked in on that Tuesday and caught all the drops to post. And I finally found a Fable 3 CE guide today, it was the only penny guide in the store so I was happy.

so after lurking here for quite a while, i finally decided to go ahead and join. ive tried a few times to find penny guides at my local best buy (las vegas) but there are never any left. either they pull them quickly or another cag gets there before me. anyways, anyone wanna sell me one of their extra 3rd birthday and tactics ogre guides? i dont have anything to trade, so id pay paypal. and yes i know im a noob and potential jerk just looking to rip u off so im willing to make some kind of arrangement that makes you feel safe that i wont scam u or something.

[quote name='IndelibleSin']so after lurking here for quite a while, i finally decided to go ahead and join. ive tried a few times to find penny guides at my local best buy (las vegas) but there are never any left. either they pull them quickly or another cag gets there before me. anyways, anyone wanna sell me one of their extra 3rd birthday and tactics ogre guides? i dont have anything to trade, so id pay paypal. and yes i know im a noob and potential jerk just looking to rip u off so im willing to make some kind of arrangement that makes you feel safe that i wont scam u or something.[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread. Try this one.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287744

First time I've ever attempted to pick up penny guides, and I think I got a pretty good haul. Pictures should explain everything, except for the third birthday game. The cashier I went to looked pretty new, so I figured it would be worth a shot. I asked her if she would price match amazon, and she unknowingly said yes. She went through all the steps and when a manager was needed, she basically told us both that best buy would only price match local competitors, but because she had already said she would do it, that she would allow it. So... don't think I did too bad for a first try.

a16feb27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']First time I've ever attempted to pick up penny guides, and I think I got a pretty good haul. Pictures should explain everything, except for the third birthday game. The cashier I went to looked pretty new, so I figured it would be worth a shot. I asked her if she would price match amazon, and she unknowingly said yes. She went through all the steps and when a manager was needed, she basically told us both that best buy would only price match local competitors, but because she had already said she would do it, that she would allow it. So... don't think I did too bad for a first try.
[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Tomorrow's the first Monday of December. Any guesses if there will be a drop? I'm hoping "yes", but guessing "no" :lol:

[quote name='JSD']Nice!

Tomorrow's the first Monday of December. Any guesses if there will be a drop? I'm hoping "yes", but guessing "no" :lol:[/QUOTE]

they don't have drop during Christmas.

Yeah drops around Xmas isnt likely. Not only that but we just had a drop. Although we did have 2 big drops right near each other a while back one time. That was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back