Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Maybe I missed the reason for this, but why in the hell is the Skyward Sword CE guide selling for $60+ on Amazon? Was it confirmed to be rare already?[/QUOTE]

Typical holiday panic-induced price spike, I'm guessing.

[quote name='Strell']Maybe I missed the reason for this, but why in the hell is the Skyward Sword CE guide selling for $60+ on Amazon? Was it confirmed to be rare already?[/QUOTE]

They are everywhere, and at $40 MSRP, no one is putting a deal on it, and its near half the size as its predecessors (Spirit tracks, phantom hourglass, and twilight princess). It's a very thin guide. I could see it dropping fast come January.

It's strangely sold out in several Best Buys near me. I think I've managed to snag a copy of all the previous Zelda guides in this style, so there's a small bit of concern, but you guys are probably correct on suggesting I wait.

amazon never carried it, so the reseller just make their own listing and charge whatever they want

[quote name='sassylaurie']Yeah, sell me your guide for $10 so I can flip it to Amazon for $50. I could really use it.[/QUOTE]

That's what's sad with this world, it seems like everyone is all about money and greed. What happened to taking care of others? I would NEVER sell anything in my collection.

I'm glad to help someone who is in actual need. Food, clothing, shelter? All needs and all things I'm more than willing to help someone with. A strategy guide? Not a need. There is nothing wrong with making a profit, as long as it's not to the detriment of someone else. Someone not completing their strategy guide collection at the soonest possible moment? Not detrimental.

[quote name='ShadowSx']They are everywhere, and at $40 MSRP, no one is putting a deal on it, and its near half the size as its predecessors (Spirit tracks, phantom hourglass, and twilight princess). It's a very thin guide. I could see it dropping fast come January.[/QUOTE]
THIS is the thing that pisses me off the most this gen about game guides. They're going astronomical with the MSRP on them. A $40 guide? Really? That shit better have gold leaf interwoven into it's fuckin' pages for that price.:roll:

I miss the days when guides topped out at $14.99 MAX and there were no 'zomg ultra mega limited super special edition
that we made 100 million of

At least if you're gonna call it a limited edtion, make a small fuckin' number of them.:bomb:

Either I'm blind or Amazon is no longer taking the Art of ME book for trade :(
They are still taking Oblivion GOTY, Uncharted, AC 1 Art Book, FO3 GOTY CE and Phantom Hourglass guides though. :shock: :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']THIS is the thing that pisses me off the most this gen about game guides. They're going astronomical with the MSRP on them. A $40 guide? Really? That shit better have gold leaf interwoven into it's fuckin' pages for that price.:roll:

I miss the days when guides topped out at $14.99 MAX and there were no 'zomg ultra mega limited super special edition
that we made 100 million of

At least if you're gonna call it a limited edtion, make a small fuckin' number of them.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

I would get it at $20 if they had some kind of deal on it, just because it would look good on the shelf, but for $43 after tax for a guide that is thinner than a newspaper? No thanks. That is $7 less than the game, which has been at $40 a few times, even CHEAPER than the guide.

[quote name='Vader582']Either I'm blind or Amazon is no longer taking the Art of ME book for trade :(
They are still taking Oblivion GOTY, Uncharted, AC 1 Art Book, FO3 GOTY CE and Phantom Hourglass guides though. :shock: :)[/QUOTE]

^^^ If you are going to take $18 for the Phantom Guide....*cough cough* *looks at space on shelf that is missing it*

[quote name='Pookymeister']^^^ If you are going to take $18 for the Phantom Guide....*cough cough* *looks at space on shelf that is missing it*[/QUOTE]

Just sold mine to some CAGer for $10 like a week ago, I would of easily taken $18 for it, had an extra. Didn't think it was worth much at the time, oh well.

[quote name='Vader582']Either I'm blind or Amazon is no longer taking the Art of ME book for trade :(
They are still taking Oblivion GOTY, Uncharted, AC 1 Art Book, FO3 GOTY CE and Phantom Hourglass guides though. :shock: :)[/QUOTE]They aren't taking it any longer. I double-checked and it's not listed there any longer. You are right about Oblivion GOTY, Uncharted (keeps dropping, now at $38.75), AC 1 Art Book and Phantom Hourglass.

Resident Evil Archives keeps ticking up a few pennies at a time in value, it's now $106.29. Raising The Bar also keeps going up, now it's at $80.

DA: O CE is at $41.28 and FO3: GOTY CE is at $52.78. Tempting, though those two guides are hardbacks and I think they're worth keeping.

[quote name='neocisco']I'm glad to help someone who is in actual need. Food, clothing, shelter? All needs and all things I'm more than willing to help someone with. A strategy guide? Not a need. There is nothing wrong with making a profit, as long as it's not to the detriment of someone else. Someone not completing their strategy guide collection at the soonest possible moment? Not detrimental.[/QUOTE]Agreed. Food, clothing, shelter, they're important.

Game guides and games, no, they're not necessities.

[quote name='Pookymeister']^^^ If you are going to take $18 for the Phantom Guide....*cough cough* *looks at space on shelf that is missing it*[/QUOTE]
Didn't I trade you like 3-4 of those along with some other LE guides for two really common guides a while ago? Whatcha need with more of them?;):booty:

[quote name='shrike4242']Game guides and games, no, they're not necessities.[/QUOTE]
But it's my birthday, and I wants it. :twisted:

If the Skyward Sword guide does drop, how much can we expect it to be after the holidays? I wouldn't mind paying $20 or so for it, especially with that cloth map.

[quote name='ROB64']But it's my birthday, and I wants it. :twisted:

If the Skyward Sword guide does drop, how much can we expect it to be after the holidays? I wouldn't mind paying $20 or so for it, especially with that cloth map.[/QUOTE]

I would say $20 early-mid Jan. There is so many of them around and no one is going to buy them for $40.

[quote name='ROB64']But it's my birthday, and I wants it. :twisted:

If the Skyward Sword guide does drop, how much can we expect it to be after the holidays? I wouldn't mind paying $20 or so for it, especially with that cloth map.[/QUOTE]I want a solid gold toilet for my birthday, though I don't think I'm getting it. ;)

I picked up Skyward Sword for under $20 shipped with tax from BN.com, as it's under $24 and there was a 30% off (BN members only, I think) coupon for it.

Sending back my MSRP - 20% off coupon one that I ordered when I thought it would never drop at BN.com and never showed up on Amazon once I get my replacement.

Check this thread for the details, as there's more than one coupon available:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310525

[quote name='shrike4242']I want a solid gold toilet for my birthday, though I don't think I'm getting it. ;)

I picked up Skyward Sword for under $20 shipped with tax from BN.com, as it's under $24 and there was a 30% off (BN members only, I think) coupon for it.

Sending back my MSRP - 20% off coupon one that I ordered when I thought it would never drop at BN.com and never showed up on Amazon once I get my replacement.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310525[/QUOTE]

Thanks - grabbed it for the $17.64 or whatever it was before tax. Combined with 5% off MC and 7% virginhealthmiles rewards....not bad, not bad.

[quote name='kerouac kid']Have you guys seen the AC Encyclopedia? It's already topping $100 + on Ebay. The White Edition.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why either. It was available for months. Now that it's sold out the fools are paying a premium for it.

I own it and ubisoft is sending a couple more to me because they royally screwed up my order.

Am I able, as a Canadian, to trade in my guides to amazon.com? I'm looking on their site and not sure. I would assume not as I would have to ship it to them.

[quote name='shrike4242']I want a solid gold toilet for my birthday, though I don't think I'm getting it. ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310525[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm jumping on this as well before it's gone.

[quote name='shajek']Just thrilled I could unload some three cents worth of guides to get a Kindle Fire and some ebooks.[/QUOTE]

Which ones if you don't mind?

[quote name='kerouac kid']Have you guys seen the AC Encyclopedia? It's already topping $100 + on Ebay. The White Edition.[/QUOTE]

isint that what they cost with there insane shipping charge anyways?

[quote name='ShadowSx']Wow, best buy actually shipped my penny guides... Nice! $0.01 + Free shipping each[/QUOTE]

Seriously? All day I've just seen "Shipping Not Available".

I put one of my Oblivion GOTY guides on eBay a few days ago and someone BIN for $79.99. I listed my other one at $99.99 shortly after. Hopefully someone will bite.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Seriously? All day I've just seen "Shipping Not Available".[/QUOTE]

Some guides had a second page for the item that you can't find on their site by searching (like Here)

Got like 50 Fable 3 CE guides.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Thanks for the heads up. I know I want this and I figure this is the best way to get it in NA. It is the same book in the UK LE though right?[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, the UK LE version is a black hardcover whereas the UbiWorkshop version is a white softcover. The white version also comes with a packet of cards with other artists interpretation of the series.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']isint that what they cost with there insane shipping charge anyways?[/QUOTE]

Shipping is definitely ridiculous. I paid ~$20 to ship it to Illinois.

[quote name='ShadowSx']Some guides had a second page for the item that you can't find on their site by searching (like Here)

Got like 50 Fable 3 CE guides.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link. I made a stock locator link for the Fable III CE guide. Here's the SKU # for it: 1487308

I also added the SKU to the sku post on the first page of the thread.

Here's the stock locator link for it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...getype=page&listflag=true&pageMode=searchmode

[quote name='WingsDJY']If I remember correctly, the UK LE version is a black hardcover whereas the UbiWorkshop version is a white softcover. The white version also comes with a packet of cards with other artists interpretation of the series.
[/QUOTE]

That's a shame if it's not HC though as it will hurt the longevity of it. I don't know if i'd pay 120 for an import but it would at least be in the same class as the great HC guides released here (save the original AC guide).

picked up my first penny guide today! halo reach standard lol. hoped for the limited edition but nada. sadly game guides around here are scarce for some reason, i had to go to a out-of-my-way best buy to find this ;__;

Went to bb I don't go to very often (Xmas shopping) and was surprised to see a copy of halo reach strategy guide. After looking around I made out with

1x Duke CE
2x Halo Reach (they had like 10 of them)
1x LA noire
1x Fable 3
1x COD black ops

I was very happy to see guides still unpulled. Although he said he was going to pull then after my purchase.

[quote name='Fatbot3']Thanks for the heads up. I know I want this and I figure this is the best way to get it in NA. It is the same book in the UK LE though right?[/QUOTE]

The one from ubiworkshop is supposed to have more content than the UK LE. It is softcover, but it's very nice! I ordered it from them when it first went on sale. It is awesome! With shipping it's like $50+ though, so it's really not cheap.

[quote name='sasukekun']Resistance 3 (SKU# 830624) and X-Men Destiny (SKU# 830495) pennied out at GameStop.[/QUOTE]

Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy pennied also.

sku 830543

Seriously the one night I drive past GameStop as I was in a hurry. I hope my stores didn't toss the guides last night. I'll be so pissed!

Damn, I wanted to get a halo reach guide at BB today but I think the sales rep was trying to hoard it >_> He told me theres a glitch in the system and it rang up as $.01 cent and wouldn't let me buy it. I told him to call the manager over and he said that even if he did call the manager over, He wouldn't be able to "fix the glitch" :roll: I just gave it up and left. atleast I got a copy of flingsmash so its all good :)

I have all but given up on pennied out guides at gamestop. Theres only one store in the district that is cool about it yet they always have the least if any at all.

Other stores will let me apparently do their work for them, find the guides, ask to buy it (be surprised when its pennied out lol) and then tell me they were sposed to pull them, sorry they cannot sell them and thank me for pointing them out.

Even after asking politely if I could just have one as usually there are 4-5 copies of same guide and I just want one they tell me no. Best part being when I walk off and they discuss among each other "awesome, check the rest of the guides for pennied out we can each take home a few"

/sigh, I miss the old days =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back