Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ken9']Warning: mad ranting post ahead! (if there are any grammatical errors, sorry. I'm posting this from my phone lol).

I went to BB today to get a normal edition Skyrim guide for me and my buddy (had a rz cert and didn't feel like tossing extra coins for the second edition guide). I was surprised to find that it was pennied! I feel that it might have been a glitch in the system or something since Metroid: Other M was scanned as $19.99 (its suppose to be pennied I believe?). But anyway, went to the front cashier to get it and the lady at the desk rang these up and immediately gave the other cashier weird look and asked if she was allowed to ring it up. The other cashier told her it should be fine but just ring one up. or if she wanted to be extra sure, she should ask 'sal' (probably the manger? or guy in gaming. idk). But she rang him up, talk for a bit, hung up, and proceeded to page 'any available associate [to report] to gaming' and to remove the guide. All while I'm standing here waiting to be rung up. I told her "look if you're not gonna sell it to me I'll go somewhere else and buy it". She told me "oh I'm so sorry I totally forgot that I was ringing you up, let me page my manager and see if he can do anything". She doesn't page the manager and instead pages someone else (presumably) and asks if the guides are off the shelf and if they are still sell-able for a penny. She then says to the other cashier "I'm so glad that you said to ask sal or else I would have probably gotten in trouble" in a pretty happy tone. At this point its been about 10 minutes already and I was a bit fed up so I just walked away assuming they weren't gonna sell me the guide and she tells me to WALK BACK and tells me "I'm sorry that I can't sell these to you but thank you for pointing out that these items are not for sale anymore".

what the fuck? If they're not gonna sell me a pennied guide, by all means tha'ts fine. It's a YMMV situation and technically they arn't suppose to anyway I guess. But to waste my time waiting there to be rung up, lying to me that shes paging her manager when shes waiting for them to clear the shelf, having the nerve to KEEP me ther waiting and to call me back over to the desk just to tell me that they can't sell it is a little douche-like. Not to mention saying something like that last phrase really pushes my buttons. Gonna call the 1-888 number tmr and complain about this store. For those who are curious, This was at the City of Industry, California store. Lately I've been met with very rude customer service that's actually been pushing me away from BB these days. YMMV I suppose, but I actually thought their service was alright before.[/QUOTE]

Wait what? There is no way the Skyrim guide has pennied.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Wait what? There is no way the Skyrim guide has pennied.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing ken9 or the cashier had some confusion since Metroid Other M definitely should have rung up for a penny. Probably they just mixed up the two guides.

[quote name='PatelKing']My stores are all OOS, otherwise I would go check..[/QUOTE]

Now I'm pondering going to my store tonight. Hmm.

[quote name='Lightning War']Amen to that. Seems more likely Metroid rang up .01 and he thought it was Skyrim though.[/QUOTE]

I agree. And if he was wrong I'm sending him a bill for my time and gas monies.

Picked up a Dead Rising 2 guide at BB tonight while looking for the Skyrim guide. My store had none of the Skyrim guides, although I really doubt they are a penny.

I know for a fact my BB has skyrim guides but i don't know if i want to go all the way back since i was just there yesterday and got a crysis 2 guide.

[quote name='SolarUxie']I know for a fact my BB has skyrim guides but i don't know if i want to go all the way back since i was just there yesterday and got a crysis 2 guide.[/QUOTE]

I think it was just a store glitch. I was at BB when the message was posted and the guide rang up $26.99 :cry:

[quote name='coopscohen']I think it was just a store glitch. I was at BB when the message was posted and the guide rang up $26.99 :cry:[/QUOTE]

Ah ok good to know I wont have to make another trip to BB.

After my post, I drove to a different BB to double check the price on the Skyrim guide and it rung up as normal price ($26.99) so I'm pretty sure it was just a glitch in that particular stores system for some reason.

So, went to my usual Best Buy yesterday. I check this BB at every drop, and regularly whenever I am in there since it is between my house and my job. The guides are always pulled lately, and in neat order. Yesterday, however, I took a look at the wire rack of guides, and they were quite disheveled. Nothing that had dropped were in the wire racks, but on the same aisle on a shelf with some overflowing MW3 and Battlefield guides were a pile of at least six soft cover Duke Nukem Forevers. I grabbed one, and shuffled through the MW3 guides to find a sealed Fable III soft cover, which I had been looking for, and a Dead Space 1 guide!

I didn't bother with Dead Space since I've already beaten it, but I took the Fable III and 1 Duke guide to cash out with my Sweeny Todd blu ray (I just can't say no to Johnny Depp) and the cashier didn't even bat an eye when the guides rang up a penny. I also noticed on my way out that there is a specific rack near the registers for clearance games, and on the bottom of this rack was a pile of Cheat Code Overload Winter 2011, so I am hoping that this particular BB has changed its policy around concerning penny guides. There's still hope fellas!

Really hoping for some guide drops this month. I would love some new things to sit on my guide shelf. Maybe Homefront CE could go on clearance eventually. I like the cover for it.

[quote name='MistaBones']So, went to my usual Best Buy yesterday. I check this BB at every drop, and regularly whenever I am in there since it is between my house and my job. The guides are always pulled lately, and in neat order. Yesterday, however, I took a look at the wire rack of guides, and they were quite disheveled. Nothing that had dropped were in the wire racks, but on the same aisle on a shelf with some overflowing MW3 and Battlefield guides were a pile of at least six soft cover Duke Nukem Forevers. I grabbed one, and shuffled through the MW3 guides to find a sealed Fable III soft cover, which I had been looking for, and a Dead Space 1 guide!

I didn't bother with Dead Space since I've already beaten it, but I took the Fable III and 1 Duke guide to cash out with my Sweeny Todd blu ray (I just can't say no to Johnny Depp) and the cashier didn't even bat an eye when the guides rang up a penny. I also noticed on my way out that there is a specific rack near the registers for clearance games, and on the bottom of this rack was a pile of Cheat Code Overload Winter 2011, so I am hoping that this particular BB has changed its policy around concerning penny guides. There's still hope fellas![/QUOTE]

This post motivated me to check a nearby BB on Sat and found a sealed Fable III CE that definitely was not there when I went last week. I need to start checking this place more often for randoms like this one. Made my afternoon...

Come on Best Buy lets get a drop soon. Gamestop locations near me are usually pricks about penny guides. I have only successfully gotten 1 GS guide, and I have probably tried for 25+ total. They always just say sorry we can't sell those (then the greedy bastards probably just divvy them amongst the employees)

[quote name='boneless']So GS pennied regular Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 and Dead Rising 2 last Thursday.

Sku are 830295 and 830049[/QUOTE]

Damn I hate GS. Grabbed SWFU2 & DeadRising 2 off the rack and brought them to the register. Both rang up a penny each. Store Manager seems pissed then out of nowhere ripped off front cover and said "Here you can have them for FREE". LOL!

Star Ocean Second Evolution for me. Manager tore the cover off one and gave it to me. He asked me if I wanted the second copy I brought up and I told him I could not watch him do that again.

I have decent luck at my BB if I go within a couple of days of the drop. Got Fable III CE and Duke Nukem CE x2 a couple months ago. My BB is far more reliable than GS. Been checking this thread 2 or 3 times a day waiting for the next BB drop. Hope it's soon.

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Star Ocean Second Evolution for me. Manager tore the cover off one and gave it to me. He asked me if I wanted the second copy I brought up and I told him I could not watch him do that again.[/QUOTE]

I'd pay full price for that one if I were you.

[quote name='elessar123']I'd pay full price for that one if I were you.[/QUOTE]
It was when it first pennied. It was not so valuable at the time.

[quote name='postaboy']Damn I hate GS. Grabbed SWFU2 & DeadRising 2 off the rack and brought them to the register. Both rang up a penny each. Store Manager seems pissed then out of nowhere ripped off front cover and said "Here you can have them for FREE". LOL![/QUOTE]

Damn that sucks. That feels like a slap in the face, but I guess it's still much better than leaving the store empty handed. That GS manager sounds like an a-hole. It sounds like that GS manager really really really doesn't want any resellers getting his stores' penny guides, but I doubt resellers could make much off of SWFU2 and DeadRising 2 guides judging by their prices on half.com and amazon.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Was that in addition to the Resistance 3 that I think you mentioned prior?[/QUOTE]

Resistance 3 pennied back in December(?). These were the only 2 that I got and there may have been others but I forgot to ask. The CE for these pennied only a few months ago too and I don't see them on the OP.

Before I woulda ran out and got these. Now after looking at the pile of useless guides I have acumulated I think ill pass. Stores in my area have been leniant with penny guides for years. Think i have only been denied once.

[quote name='boneless']Resistance 3 pennied back in December(?). These were the only 2 that I got and there may have been others but I forgot to ask. The CE for these pennied only a few months ago too and I don't see them on the OP.[/QUOTE]
I guess that means either I'm slipping or someone didn't mention the CE's for SWTFU 2 and Dead Rising 2 dropping @ GS.

I'll double check though, since they may be in one of the other posts if they're not in the second one.

Actually I'm thinking about retooling the thread a bit, making the FIRST post the recent drop list AND making it a Wiki post so anyone could go in and edit it. Of course, I know the moment I do that someone is gonna 'not like the way the recent drop list is formatted' or something n go in n change it to suit only them n some arguing will ensue.:whistle2:#

Hopefully when CAG switches over to the other software(soon supposedly) there's a way to make a wiki/community type post that's wholly seperate from the main OP.

OK. The two guide drop from last week from GS has been added to the appropriate posts(1st, 3rd n 5th) and the OP/FAQ has been shuffled down to the second post and the first(recent drop list) has been wikified.

If you're gonna edit it though, just be sure to keep up the formatting(which is a pita to do on Google Chrome btw:cry:), which is blue for BB drops and red for GS drops. Moreover, there's also no need to spell out the words Collectors Edition/Special Edition/Limited Edition.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK. The two guide drop from last week from GS has been added to the appropriate posts(1st, 3rd n 5th) and the OP/FAQ has been shuffled down to the second post and the first(recent drop list) has been wikified.

If you're gonna edit it though, just be sure to keep up the formatting(which is a pita to do on Google Chrome btw:cry:), which is blue for BB drops and red for GS drops. Moreover, there's also no need to spell out the words Collectors Edition/Special Edition/Limited Edition.:razz:[/QUOTE]

I like the new formatting. It's much easier to use when looking on a phone. (I.E. when in a BB or GS)

The only thing is maybe add a note at the top of the first page saying go to second post to learn about pennied guides and for the FAQ.

Thanks for the re-format IATCG! Looks good :)

One (minor) thing that's been bugging me for a while is the first line where it says the list has the past 6 months of drops ... I think it's closer to 24 months now :)

[quote name='Dark Rider']I like the new formatting. It's much easier to use when looking on a phone. (I.E. when in a BB or GS)

The only thing is maybe add a note at the top of the first page saying go to second post to learn about pennied guides and for the FAQ.[/QUOTE]
I'll add a note to the OP, though there is a notation after the title as well.;) My ultimate goal is to combine the SKU wiki with the recent drop list as best I can and eliminate that duplication by having the information in as few posts as is possible.

EDIT: Notation has been added to the top of the OP to direct people to the second post for the FAQ/original OP.
[quote name='JSD']Thanks for the re-format IATCG! Looks good :)

One (minor) thing that's been bugging me for a while is the first line where it says the list has the past 6 months of drops ... I think it's closer to 24 months now :)[/QUOTE]
If you notice though it says six months OR SO.;) I figured that covered things adequately.;) Although I'm sure we're reaching the character limit for the recent drop list, so I may have to use the 'READ THE OP' post(#6) as a sort of archive and cut down the OP/recent drop list back to six months or maybe even less.:)

Yeah. Patriotic. That's why there's red n blue colors.:razz:

Technically I think the color that the dropped on dates is supposed to be is a very, very pale grey actually.

It used to show up as an almost bluish grey on Internet Explorer.

so went to the mall, found SWFU2 and what I thought was pennied, the dead rising 2, but this one had a subheading to it. The person working asked the manager working and he said sure seeing as a buy one get one free, I said I'd take only the StarWars, he said that I can't cause I know about the penny guides. So left on good terms, but annoying that its their own fault that they're just too damn lazy to pull the guides..

..Better luck next time I guess.

EDIT: Actually not sure on good terms or not. As I was leaving, heard the manager saying stuff to the employee that was helping me, sounded something on the lines of don't sell me guides anymore. That'll be bs if they won't let me buy a guide even if its not pennied. I'll find out next time I try to get a pennied or a normal

[quote name='confoosious']I'm sure you're making more out of it than necessary. Why wouldn't he sell You a regular guide? He prob meant penny guides only.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure right now is what I mean. Next time I go in there I'll find out. I want to get the collectors guide to Skyward Sword, not willing to wait and try to buy it while its a penny, seeing as if its pulled, then I'm SOL

[quote name='josb101']so went to the mall, found SWFU2 and what I thought was pennied, the dead rising 2, but this one had a subheading to it. The person working asked the manager working and he said sure seeing as a buy one get one free, I said I'd take only the StarWars, he said that I can't cause I know about the penny guides. So left on good terms, but annoying that its their own fault that they're just too damn lazy to pull the guides..

..Better luck next time I guess.

EDIT: Actually not sure on good terms or not. As I was leaving, heard the manager saying stuff to the employee that was helping me, sounded something on the lines of don't sell me guides anymore. That'll be bs if they won't let me buy a guide even if its not pennied. I'll find out next time I try to get a pennied or a normal[/QUOTE]
FYI: You probably picked up a copy of the Dead Rising 2: Off the Record guide, which I don't believe has been pennied at GS as of yet. The DR2: OTR guide is for a seperate Dead Rising 2 game that was released with the main character from the ORIGINAL Dead Rising(Frank West).

Weird, I went the other day to game stop (almost a year without going there) was looking for a game to trade in to amazon and passed by where the guides used to be. Both of my local GS don't have guides anymore that is kind of weird. Has this happened to others?

[quote name='luischav3z']Weird, I went the other day to game stop (almost a year without going there) was looking for a game to trade in to amazon and passed by where the guides used to be. Both of my local GS don't have guides anymore that is kind of weird. Has this happened to others?[/QUOTE]

They just keep them in the back, I don't know the reason why though.

[quote name='skiizim']They just keep them in the back, I don't know the reason why though.[/QUOTE]

Want my honest opinion? As someone who worked briefly at Gamestop, I can tell you that the rack we used to display guides was always a disaster. There would be guides that were ripped in half, torn, pages bent...it was ridiculous. It was nearly impossible for us to display anything and expect to have a sell-able copy if a customer was interested. That's not to say all Gamestops have this problem or that it was enough of an issue that they had to relocate all guides to the back but, honestly, I'm glad for it. At least I don't have to worry anymore about the guide I want to purchase having been half chewed by some woman's two year old.

[quote name='gordojones88']Dear Best Buy,

It is the third Monday of the month.
Please hook me up.
You're my only hope.
Thanks a bunch.

G[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, but my CAG weenis went half-chub when you bumped this thread on a Monday morning. I beg of you, don't torture me like that please.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back