Reduced Price Guide Thread-Lucky Number XIII(FAQ in 2nd post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post.

Below is SIX MONTHS or so(counting January 2010) of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the second post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread X that can be found HERE .

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop

Recent Drops(listed newest to oldest):

>>>Dropped on 3.07.12

Gamestop 1
¢

Battlefield 3 CE

>>>Dropped on 1.25.12>>Dropped on 10.19.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.13.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 10.6.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.15.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 9.7.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.17.11Dropped on 8.8.11>>Dropped on 4.27.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 4.13.11Dropped on 3.30.11>>Dropped on 2.21.11Dropped on 1.26.11>>Dropped on 06.25.10Dropped on 06.07.10>>Dropped on 03.18.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 03.04.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 02.22.10Dropped on 01.27.10Dropped on 01.27.10

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='postaboy']nm[/QUOTE]

I got a Homefront CE from Gamestop a couple of months ago, along with my SWFU2 CE. I don't know about DAII.

How the F**k did you get them if she just pulled them? Someone setting them out for a friend to snag them? Nice Haul from BB but that seems extremely odd that she let you take that many.

I went to Gametop and after talking to the guy working there about several other games I asked if he had Assassins Creed Brotherhood guide as my nephew just got the game and really needs it. He told me they arent even in their system, which I already knew but was hoping if he had one in back he might succumb to my desperate need to make my nephew happy lol.

[quote name='neoz']Went to BB and got these. I'm not going to keep them all but I wanted to get them before they were sent back. The lady was asking me where I found them and I told her they were on the floor. She was like, "Well I just pulled these and I don't know how they got back on the floor but that's fine." Thankfully she let me keep them.

100B6811.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WOW!! my best buy was already wiped clean on the last drop... hopefully next time i'll be able to get some... before they are pulled or cleared out.

[quote name='kanamit']How the F**k did you get them if she just pulled them? Someone setting them out for a friend to snag them? Nice Haul from BB but that seems extremely odd that she let you take that many.[/QUOTE]
I've had guides show up on the shelves MONTHS after a drop before, though not lately around here. So it definitely happens.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've had guides show up on the shelves MONTHS after a drop before, though not lately around here. So it definitely happens.[/QUOTE]

I'm still looking for my first denied penny guide, let alone a successfully purchased penny guide... so pardon my skepticism ;)

[quote name='kanamit']I'm still looking for my first denied penny guide, let alone a successfully purchased penny guide... so pardon my skepticism ;)[/QUOTE]

You sir, have no idea... no idea at all... Welcome to the fantastic world of penny guides. It is like crack. The first time you have success, you will be hooked. I have seen people pushing shopping carts full of guides out the door. I've never resorted to that, but yes to large armfuls.

[quote name='Tsel']I got a Homefront CE from Gamestop a couple of months ago, along with my SWFU2 CE. I don't know about DAII.[/QUOTE]

Thought it was this last week dropped because I saw HomeFront CE and Dragon Age 2 CE over the weekend. Just got back from GS, it seems someone got them :(

[quote name='hellmutt']You sir, have no idea... no idea at all... Welcome to the fantastic world of penny guides. It is like crack. The first time you have success, you will be hooked. I have seen people pushing shopping carts full of guides out the door. I've never resorted to that, but yes to large armfuls.[/QUOTE]

Sadly I'm not new to penny guides, just never pulled one off or even seen one. Ive follwed them though and remember when people used to talk about it being easier to get them. I just got in too late in the game, sometime early summer last year. I live vicariously through others here though :applause:.

I'm resorting to the more simplistic approach on deals nowadays, its who u know. I try to be friendly at GameStop and BestBuy, talk to them as much as possible about anything. I'm hoping maybe in the future that will pay off, although it hasnt yet.

I've run into "el hoardo" a few times at one of the BestBuys here, and he isnt shy about admitting who or what he is. I'm pretty sure no matter how quick I am, he is quicker. But maybe just maybe my area sucks for deals.

Found a Black Ops guide at the Independence, MO Best Buy. Picked it up though I really don't need it because I hate Call of Duty games. Might give it to a friend or something.

Of the 4 Gamestops in town, 3 follow by the book and tear them apart (anal managers). The one with laid back employees said to call ahead of time and they would let me know if they had any penny guides.

Went to the mall today and stopped by the GS there.

Found:
Epic Mickey CE
Golden Sun
and another one i can't remember

They scanned them came up for a penny guy said they were at a price he couldn't sell it , and would give it to me just had to check with manager cause they would donate them or something, came back and told me no cause they donate them to some children that aren't so fortunate or something like that. I was going to ask who the hell reads guides just to read, and say that it was a pretty mean thing to do if your just teasing a kid with a game they can't have. But oh well.

[quote name='Borellius']Went to the mall today and stopped by the GS there.

Found:
Epic Mickey CE
Golden Sun
and another one i can't remember

They scanned them came up for a penny guy said they were at a price he couldn't sell it , and would give it to me just had to check with manager cause they would donate them or something, came back and told me no cause they donate them to some children that aren't so fortunate or something like that. I was going to ask who the hell reads guides just to read, and say that it was a pretty mean thing to do if your just teasing a kid with a game they can't have. But oh well.[/QUOTE]

I know the local gamestop donates it guides to a game store that sells all their guides for $3. They get to write it off on taxes I guess. I like it better then when Target donates to Goodwill and then goodwill change it back to full retail value.

[quote name='ets']I know the local gamestop donates it guides to a game store that sells all their guides for $3. They get to write it off on taxes I guess. I like it better then when Target donates to Goodwill and then goodwill change it back to full retail value.[/QUOTE]

Then they are breaking their own rules.

My first bit of success at a Gamestop in a LONG time occurred Tuesday - the GF and I went to one that had always been my favorite, as I've become friends with almost the entire staff up until my move, and sitting on the rack were guides from the last drop and older. Ended up with some Dissidia 012s, a Medal of Honor, a pair of Dungeon Seige 3, Little Big Planet 2, Warhammer Space Marinees, and I think 1 o 2 more.

sadly this is a noob question even though ive been here awhile , how in the hell do I make a cml ? ive only see games and would like to make one for some of the guides I have . Thanks :)

[quote name='spacegundam0079']sadly this is a noob question even though ive been here awhile , how in the hell do I make a cml ? ive only see games and would like to make one for some of the guides I have . Thanks :)[/QUOTE]
1. Go here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287744
2. Read the OP for thread rules.
3. Take a look at some other lists in the thread and post yours in a similar layout.
4. After posting, click the #XXX link in the upper-right of your post.
5. Copy the URL.
6. Go here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile
7. Paste the URL in the textbox near the bottom under 'My Buy/Sell/Trade List'.
8. Click 'Save Changes'.

[quote name='Visc']My first bit of success at a Gamestop in a LONG time occurred Tuesday - the GF and I went to one that had always been my favorite, as I've become friends with almost the entire staff up until my move, and sitting on the rack were guides from the last drop and older. Ended up with some Dissidia 012s, a Medal of Honor, a pair of Dungeon Seige 3, Little Big Planet 2, Warhammer Space Marinees, and I think 1 o 2 more.[/QUOTE]Good to hear that you lucked out.

Those of you in NYC, I was at the 270 Greenwich St Gamestop yesterday and they let me walk out with about 7 pennied guides...no pre-order, no additional purchase. They actually let me pay with $1 and gave me $0.93 back! :)

There were a couple of Red Faction & Sims 3 variants left.

[quote name='AionTelos']Some girl who worked at gamestop wouldn't let me take the guide less I pre-ordered a game :([/QUOTE]

Did you preorder? You can always go back when shes not working, cancel and get your $5 back ;)

BTW, has anyone had any luck at walmart? seems like they carry guides forever

I went to Gamestop this past week and asked where their guides were (since they weren't on display). The manager working there said they kept them in the back and printed out a list of everything they had. I saw 20 different guides that showed $.01 and it said they had multiple in stock. I didn't want to push it so i marked down 3 or 4 off the list that I really wanted and would return later if it worked. He got an attitude when he saw and said "We don't have those because they are a penny." So I said "well I marked a few and it says there are several in stock, could you at least check?". He rolled his eyes and went to the back. Came back probably 15 seconds later and said NOPE. Seems like this fits well with their track record.

[quote name='AionTelos']Some girl who worked at gamestop wouldn't let me take the guide less I pre-ordered a game :([/QUOTE]
If you do trades to GS and have some credit around anyway, just throw $5 down on some random game. But then make sure you find at least a couple pennied guides to make it worth it.

For a while, anytime there was a guide that had pennied at GS I would put a $5 deposit down on a game I was at least slightly interested in. It's how I ended up with Just Cause 2 and a number of other titles. But then again, I also had somewhere around $1000 in GS credit at that point, so even if I paid MSRP for 3-4 games I still had a ton of credit to burn through.:)
[quote name='greenday0066']Did you preorder? You can always go back when shes not working, cancel and get your $5 back ;)

BTW, has anyone had any luck at walmart? seems like they carry guides forever[/QUOTE]
Pre-orders are part of what Gamestop uses to determine how they give their employees hours. If you are top in your pre-orders/PowerUpRewards subscriptions then you get a good amount of hours. On the downside though, if someone comes in and cancels a pre-order, even if you weren't the employee who took it, then it counts as a -1 against your own numbers for that month.

That's why GS employees are always trying to get you to 'transfer' a pre-order deposit to another game rather than just taking the money/credit back.

As for WalMart, I believe they may just pull and destroy them once they reach end of life. Either that or if they do penny the register may prompt the employee to NOT sell it by having a message pop up on the display just like they do for street dated merchandise.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

Pre-orders are part of what Gamestop uses to determine how they give their employees hours. If you are top in your pre-orders/PowerUpRewards subscriptions then you get a good amount of hours. On the downside though, if someone comes in and cancels a pre-order, even if you weren't the employee who took it, then it counts as a -1 against your own numbers for that month.

That's why GS employees are always trying to get you to 'transfer' a pre-order deposit to another game rather than just taking the money/credit back.

As for WalMart, I believe they may just pull and destroy them once they reach end of life. Either that or if they do penny the register may prompt the employee to NOT sell it by having a message pop up on the display just like they do for street dated merchandise.[/QUOTE]
Wow I didnt know they did that to their employees, thats pretty lame. ugh, I can't stand working for places like that making you push stuff or get penalized (store cc's mostly)
Thanks for the walmart info I wasnt sure about them. Shame to just destroy these guides though..

[quote name='greenday0066']Wow I didnt know they did that to their employees, thats pretty lame. ugh, I can't stand working for places like that making you push stuff or get penalized (store cc's mostly)
Thanks for the walmart info I wasnt sure about them. Shame to just destroy these guides though..[/QUOTE]
If you think that's bad, then just read this story: http://consumerist.com/2009/02/gamestop-pays-its-employees-in-hidden-fee-cash-cards.html

Basic gist of it is that GS pays their employees using a pre-paid debit card that nails the employees for fees out the wazoo.

I actually went to another gamestop (little tip) and told them about my delima of pre-ordering somewhere else. They took there pre-order from there and discounted it on my current order.

Anywho, I got Disgaea 4 from there for a "pre-order"

Edit: After reading that whole pre-order delima that kind of sucks and I see why she did it now.

FYI for the people on here who trade. If you ship by media mail and don't use packing material like popcorn or air packets be careful what you use. The PO told me one time a guy wrapped a towel around books and they charged him full priority mail fee instead at $40 after he shipped. The receiving end had to pay the difference.

[quote name='boneless']FYI for the people on here who trade. If you ship by media mail and don't use packing material like popcorn or air packets be careful what you use. The PO told me one time a guy wrapped a towel around books and they charged him full priority mail fee instead at $40 after he shipped. The receiving end had to pay the difference.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous.

[quote name='boneless']FYI for the people on here who trade. If you ship by media mail and don't use packing material like popcorn or air packets be careful what you use. The PO told me one time a guy wrapped a towel around books and they charged him full priority mail fee instead at $40 after he shipped. The receiving end had to pay the difference.[/QUOTE]
Regardless of if it's a softcover or hardcover guide, I usually use a piece of cardboard on BOTH sides of it AND write "DO NOT BEND" on the package. Then I proceed to mummify the package in packing tape with about 2-4 layers.;)

Although just going by some horror stories I've read on here, I think some postal workers take it as a personal challenge to see how many origami shapes they can make your package into when it says 'fragile' or 'do not bend' on it.:roll: I know the people at the one Boston sorting facility musta been playing hackey sack with the import copy of Demon's Souls I sent to someone a few years back cuz that shit got 'stuck' at that place for 2-3 days being sorted n re-sorted.:roll:

Sorry, should've clarified I was talking about using boxes to ship. I've had a few that were way past using a mailer to ship and didn't want the guides bouncing around in a box. Although instead of the usual 2-3 weeks it's only taken about 5 days lately.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Regardless of if it's a softcover or hardcover guide, I usually use a piece of cardboard on BOTH sides of it AND write "DO NOT BEND" on the package. Then I proceed to mummify the package in packing tape with about 2-4 layers.;)

Although just going by some horror stories I've read on here, I think some postal workers take it as a personal challenge to see how many origami shapes they can make your package into when it says 'fragile' or 'do not bend' on it.:roll: I know the people at the one Boston sorting facility musta been playing hackey sack with the import copy of Demon's Souls I sent to someone a few years back cuz that shit got 'stuck' at that place for 2-3 days being sorted n re-sorted.:roll:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Regardless of if it's a softcover or hardcover guide, I usually use a piece of cardboard on BOTH sides of it AND write "DO NOT BEND" on the package. Then I proceed to mummify the package in packing tape with about 2-4 layers.;)

Although just going by some horror stories I've read on here, I think some postal workers take it as a personal challenge to see how many origami shapes they can make your package into when it says 'fragile' or 'do not bend' on it.:roll: I know the people at the one Boston sorting facility musta been playing hackey sack with the import copy of Demon's Souls I sent to someone a few years back cuz that shit got 'stuck' at that place for 2-3 days being sorted n re-sorted.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Funny, just the other day at a UPS store the UPS pickup guy was chatting with the store employee about this very topic and they corroborate the stories - they said that writing "fragile" on a package is an invitation for it to get tossed around pretty bad - it's apparently a fairly well known thing within the hallowed halls of UPS shipping centers.

It's definitely a learning experience on trying to figure out how to package guides and games to not have them get annihilated by the USPS.

I've messed up on at least two trade deals I can remember of on here. On one I sent either a Castlevania or Disgaea guide from DoubleJump in an oversized mailer with NO PADDING around it. The other party then proceeded to send back my guide in a huge mailer with nothing protecting it either. I considered that a lesson learned the hard way.

Then there was the time I traded about 30-40 guides for an Xbox and a bunch of controllers for it. I had a misshapen box that I attempted to cut down myself to fit around the guides. Apparently the box had been left out on a dock in the pouring rain, as the box was semi waterlogged when the other person got it. I ended up having to replace 2-5 guides from that transaction if I remember correctly. So ever since then I wrap up guides and games and really whatever I'm shipping as tight as I possibly can and mummify the packages with packing tape.:lol:

Found around ten guides from the Latest GS Drop in the dumpster, along with a copy of Hunted: Demon's Forge and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Knights of the Nine Expansion Pack, both for PC. Figured I'd post since I didn't see those in the Pennied Items post. (Both were labelled with stickers that said a penny so I can post the Sku's as well, though IIRC the Sku trick doesn't work with GS anymore.)

Just went by Best Buy talked to a guy working there that I normally talk to during my penny hunts. He said Wednesday they pulled a lot of guides. I was able to find a Red Dead Redemption that survived. He wasn't able to tell me which ones they pulled so it ccould mean a drop very soon.

[quote name='Feeji']Just went by Best Buy talked to a guy working there that I normally talk to during my penny hunts. He said Wednesday they pulled a lot of guides. I was able to find a Red Dead Redemption that survived. He wasn't able to tell me which ones they pulled so it ccould mean a drop very soon.[/QUOTE]

I think Red Dead was a previous drop. I hope you are right though.

Yeah Red Dead was a previous drop, good find though. I was hoping for a President's Day drop since I'll be off of work :)

I can confirm that there was a pull at my store for guides too. Nothing pennied, but this happened before the last drop. Here's what I remembered was pulled:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (regular and LE)
Brink
Bulletstorm
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Dragon Age II LE
Epic Mickey
Fallout: New Vegas LE
Homefront (regular and LE)
Infamous 2
Mortal Kombat LE
NCAA Football 11
Pokemon Black/White LE
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver Volumes 1,2 and 3
Resident Evil Archives II
Resistance 3
The Sims 3: Medieval
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
White Knight Chronicles II
WWE All Stars

There's probably more, but my store has been a little lacking in getting guides these days, so I don't know what else.

And once again, THESE ARE NOT PENNIED YET.

[quote name='Feeji']Just went by Best Buy talked to a guy working there that I normally talk to during my penny hunts. He said Wednesday they pulled a lot of guides. I was able to find a Red Dead Redemption that survived. He wasn't able to tell me which ones they pulled so it ccould mean a drop very soon.[/QUOTE]
I noticed that the Batman: Arkham City CE guide as well as several other CE guides were MIA from both local BB's I checked this week. I don't know if maybe they did penny some guides and it's just that no one found out about it this time or not or maybe they just sold out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I noticed that the Batman: Arkham City CE guide as well as several other CE guides were MIA from both local BB's I checked this week. I don't know if maybe they did penny some guides and it's just that no one found out about it this time or not or maybe they just sold out.[/QUOTE]

I bought that a while back. Nice guide.

[quote name='loxthefox']I can confirm that there was a pull at my store for guides too. Nothing pennied, but this happened before the last drop. Here's what I remembered was pulled:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (regular and LE)
Brink
Bulletstorm
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Dragon Age II LE
Epic Mickey
Fallout: New Vegas LE
Homefront (regular and LE)
Infamous 2
Mortal Kombat LE
NCAA Football 11
Pokemon Black/White LE
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver Volumes 1,2 and 3
Resident Evil Archives II
Resistance 3
The Sims 3: Medieval
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
White Knight Chronicles II
WWE All Stars

There's probably more, but my store has been a little lacking in getting guides these days, so I don't know what else.

And once again, THESE ARE NOT PENNIED YET.[/QUOTE]

Thanks lox. I pre-bought a couple of LE's I've had my eye on. If I can't find them for a penny, that gives me another set of possibilities...

[quote name='Pookymeister']Resident Evil Archives II would be a quick one to drop.[/QUOTE]
If it's anything like the first one, then I'm gonna grab every damn copy I can find.

Well just to be prepared. Here's a SKU list of what was reported by LOX as possible.

1537088 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
1537097 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood LE
2398787 Brink
1980846 Bulletstorm
2422297 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
1599401 Donkey Kong Country Returns
2045167 Dragon Age II LE
1600384 Epic Mickey
1408457 Fallout: New Vegas LE
2005115 Homefront
2005124 Homefront LE
2829047 Infamous 2
2090087 Mortal Kombat LE
1054292 NCAA Football 11
2038195 Pokemon Black/White LE
(?)9789316 Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver(?)
(?)9900002 Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver Pokédex (?)
(?)9927072 Pokémon Pocket Pokédex Volume 3 (?)
4382455 Resident Evil Archives II
3074293 Resistance 3
2045194 The Sims 3: Medieval
1425612 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
2936134 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
3019258 White Knight Chronicles II
2090041 WWE All Stars

Hope this turns out to be true, thanks lox for the(even possible) list.

Sucks! I was already eyeing for AC:B LE and Dragon Age II LE for the longest time and then yesterday my local BB already pulled all of them in their shelves!! They remodeled the shelves to accomodate the PS Vita items! sheeesh!!! I missed out!!! GRRR!!!

Anyway, good luck to everyone else that has a Bestbuy near them... you probably want to check the store's stock by tomorrow.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Sucks! I was already eyeing for AC:B LE and Dragon Age II LE for the longest time and then yesterday my local BB already pulled all of them in their shelves!! They remodeled the shelves to accomodate the PS Vita items! sheeesh!!! I missed out!!! GRRR!!!

Anyway, good luck to everyone else that has a Bestbuy near them... you probably want to check the store's stock by tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

So are you saying these have pennied a best buy then...?

[quote name='Romeo']So are you saying these have pennied a best buy then...?[/QUOTE]

I can't confirm that it pennied out since i didnt get any of them. i just noticed that they pulled them out from the shelves specifically those 2 i mentioned.

the last time i saw them was last tuesday (2/14/12) and they were still at full price that day.

But since they took them out from the rest of the guides in the store, i would assume it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back