Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cgxcswim']BB is very very YMMV now due to the guides ringing up "not available for sale". Its not like how it was before where they could actually ring up and sell them to you for a penny. Now they have to decide to give them to you for free or deny you. It does help to play dumb at first and be buying something else in the same transaction.[/QUOTE]

Ya its depressing to think about. I did Penny guides for probably 5+ years at BB. Never got denied once. Even when bringing large amounts up. Because when they scanned at .01 the young girl at the register would just cash you out no issues.

Its encouraging that people here are still giving it a go and getting lucky. Maybe Ill muster up the desire to try again

So I just got back from Bestbuy have never attempted to buy a penny guide until today and probably will never try again.

I got my bestbuy and I happened to find not just 1 copy of Final Fantasy XII-2 Limited Edited guide I found 8. I take one to get price scanned dude scans it comes up for .01 cent. He then takes the guide from me and tells me I have to ask someone about this. So I tell him theres 8 other guides exactly the same right there, he tells me ok well let me see what my manager says. Some chick comes up tells me "Oh I pulled these off the shelves a long time ago and sent them back". Obviously not BITCH!!!

So her and 4 other employees sit there and talk for a while before they finally hand me 2 guides and say I can buy them. I goto the register and while Im checking out dude scans them on the computer and says that he cant sale them to me because his monitor says he cant. Long story short they fucking ended up not selling me shit because they said the item wasnt supposed to be on the floor.

Im kind of pissed right now

[quote name='MykelxKnight']So I just got back from Bestbuy have never attempted to buy a penny guide until today and probably will never try again.

I got my bestbuy and I happened to find not just 1 copy of Final Fantasy XII-2 Limited Edited guide I found 8. I take one to get price scanned dude scans it comes up for .01 cent. He then takes the guide from me and tells me I have to ask someone about this. So I tell him theres 8 other guides exactly the same right there, he tells me ok well let me see what my manager says. Some chick comes up tells me "Oh I pulled these off the shelves a long time ago and sent them back". Obviously not BITCH!!!

So her and 4 other employees sit there and talk for a while before they finally hand me 2 guides and say I can buy them. I goto the register and while Im checking out dude scans them on the computer and says that he cant sale them to me because his monitor says he cant. Long story short they ing ended up not selling me shit because they said the item wasnt supposed to be on the floor.

Im kind of pissed right now[/QUOTE]

Pennied guides are very YMMV and you only get them when your very lucky. Don't get your hopes up is the key, expect the worst and be pleasently suprised when your wrong.

[quote name='Hemi']Pennied guides are very YMMV and you only get them when your very lucky. Don't get your hopes up is the key, expect the worst and be pleasently suprised when your wrong.[/QUOTE]

Dude there was 9 Final Fantasy XII-2 Special Edition guides that all when I asked for a price check rang up for .1 penny. I was nice to the employees being polite with the Manager. He offered me 2 copies to purchase and when I went to ring them up he fucking denied me.

fuck best buy man Im calling customer service tomorrow to cause hell. How are you gonna give a customer an item and tell them they can purchase two then take them away because when there scanned it ask for a managers assistance. Thats bullshit and bad company motos. I dont know any other fucking company that would do that

[quote name='MykelxKnight']
fuck best buy man Im calling customer service tomorrow to cause hell. How are you gonna give a customer an item and tell them they can purchase two then take them away because when there scanned it ask for a managers assistance. Thats bullshit and bad company motos. I dont know any other fucking company that would do that[/QUOTE]

You're a bleeping idiot if you do.

You made a mistake by asking for a price check. You should have grabbed a cheap game to return later, 1 each of the guides you wanted and acted surprised at the register about it not being in the system.
Price checking it implies you're up to something as the price is right on the back of the guide.

[quote name='warboss zorbag']You made a mistake by asking for a price check. You should have grabbed a cheap game to return later, 1 each of the guides you wanted and acted surprised at the register about it not being in the system.
Price checking it implies you're up to something as the price is right on the back of the guide.[/QUOTE]

I was price checking the copy to actually see if it was 50% because the other Final Fantasy Xii-2 guide was marked down to 50%. I went to that best buy with an intent to actually purchase this guide first of all and while I was wandering the store I happened to run into the special edition guide and was wondering the price. Ive never known about penny guides first of all until today.

The whole point im trying to get across is why wouldnt they sale me an item they already said I could purchase. This came out of a managers mouth that was working at the time, I didnt happen to get his name but I will get it tomorrow. Like I said there was 8 of these guides on there little display.

The female employee that runs the section even said she pulled those guides off months ago to get resent and doesnt know why there on the sales floor.

[quote name='warboss zorbag']Your story is not adding up.[/QUOTE]

What doesnt add up about it? Where did I ever say I was penny hunting. I said I was never trying this again.

The employees said that they would sell you the items BEFORE they scanned them and received the system notification that the items couldn't be sold. They weren't aware the guides were unsellable until they actually started a sale transaction, a price check doesn't give them that information. They made a mistake saying they would sell them to you but it's pretty clear it wasn't done maliciously, just a mistake. You REALLY shouldn't call customer service about it. You'll get nothing out of it except that store being cracked down on and effectively destroying any chance at all of ever getting a guide there again. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

[quote name='neocisco']The employees said that they would sell you the items BEFORE they scanned them and received the system notification that the items couldn't be sold. They weren't aware the guides were unsellable until they actually started a sale transaction, a price check doesn't give them that information. They made a mistake saying they would sell them to you but it's pretty clear it wasn't done maliciously, just a mistake. You REALLY shouldn't call customer service about it. You'll get nothing out of it except that store being cracked down on and effectively destroying any chance at all of ever getting a guide there again. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.[/QUOTE]

It wasnt an employee who told me he would sale them though it was the store manager. I heard there whole conversation about why are these on the floor when they were supposed to be sent back months ago. Yeah, I understand its my mistake but, I also wouldve been fine if he said he couldnt sale them to me from the get go. I walked around the store for a while looking for other things before checking out thinking I was fine buying the 2 I had plus the guide I already had went there to get from the begining.

I understand its my mistake now and its just something I gotta learn from but, that manager at that store also deserves to be fired for lying to a customer. He handed me two before taking the other 6 to the back room.

Go back, look for that manager, and talk to him and BE POLITE, they can refuse a sale for ANY ITEM and when it rings up says DO NOT SELL. We keep saying it is VERY YMMV as in 80% of the time they don't just go OH HERE HAVE THIS FOR FREE! You are NOT ENTITLED to free stuff.

[quote name='MykelxKnight']It wasnt an employee who told me he would sale them though it was the store manager. I heard there whole conversation about why are these on the floor when they were supposed to be sent back months ago. Yeah, I understand its my mistake but, I also wouldve been fine if he said he couldnt sale them to me from the get go. I walked around the store for a while looking for other things before checking out thinking I was fine buying the 2 I had plus the guide I already had went there to get from the begining.

I understand its my mistake now and its just something I gotta learn from but, that manager at that store also deserves to be fired for lying to a customer. He handed me two before taking the other 6 to the back room.[/QUOTE]

Well did the cashier hear him say that? Did you ask for that manager at the checkout??? Seriously you make a big deal out of it when you didn't ask the manager to let the cashier know they are ok to sell... FIRED??? DID THE MANAGER RING YOU UP??? How did he LIE he gave you two and said here you can buy them, then a cashier says it says not to sell these. The MANAGER didn't magically put the system to say DON'T SELL it does that automatically, you just needed that manager to OK the cashier to sell it. For someone complaining alot... your awfully ignorant.

[quote name='Hemi']Go back, look for that manager, and talk to him and BE POLITE, they can refuse a sale for ANY ITEM and when it rings up says DO NOT SELL. We keep saying it is VERY YMMV as in 80% of the time they don't just go OH HERE HAVE THIS FOR FREE! You are NOT ENTITLED to free stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Im gonna go back and chat with the manager more. He was actually cool he started talking to me on the way out about my hat. Thinking he was hinting at something?

[quote name='MykelxKnight']It wasnt an employee who told me he would sale them though it was the store manager. I heard there whole conversation about why are these on the floor when they were supposed to be sent back months ago. Yeah, I understand its my mistake but, I also wouldve been fine if he said he couldnt sale them to me from the get go. I walked around the store for a while looking for other things before checking out thinking I was fine buying the 2 I had plus the guide I already had went there to get from the begining.

I understand its my mistake now and its just something I gotta learn from but, that manager at that store also deserves to be fired for lying to a customer. He handed me two before taking the other 6 to the back room.[/QUOTE]

You seemed to have skimmed over part of what I said.

[quote name='neocisco']They weren't aware the guides were unsellable until they actually started a sale transaction, a price check doesn't give them that information. They made a mistake saying they would sell them to you but it's pretty clear it wasn't done maliciously, just a mistake.[/QUOTE]

A store manager very likely wouldn't know about the intricacies of guides ringing up (or not ringing up) for a penny. They have more important store issues to worry about so department managers, supervisors, etc. take care of those smaller details. There's no reasonable expectation for a store manager to know that .01 guides won't show up unsellable until a transaction is started. I don't think they lied to you, they just unintentionally gave you some wrong information.

Like I said, you should just let it go. If you go back in about it you'll just be setting yourself up to labeled as "that guy" whenever you go in.

[quote name='Hemi']Well did the cashier hear him say that? Did you ask for that manager at the checkout??? Seriously you make a big deal out of it when you didn't ask the manager to let the cashier know they are ok to sell... FIRED??? DID THE MANAGER RING YOU UP??? How did he LIE he gave you two and said here you can buy them, then a cashier says it says not to sell these. The MANAGER didn't magically put the system to say DON'T SELL it does that automatically, you just needed that manager to OK the cashier to sell it. For someone complaining alot... your awfully ignorant.[/QUOTE]

I had 6 employees surronding me trying to figure out how these guides got on the floor. They were all there when they rang up. The dude grabbed the items from the cashier and took off after that I did not have a chance to say anything. I was already annoyed so I just left.

[quote name='MykelxKnight']I had 6 employees surronding me trying to figure out how these guides got on the floor. They were all there when they rang up. The dude grabbed the items from the cashier and took off after that I did not have a chance to say anything. I was already annoyed so I just left.[/QUOTE]

Well... YOUR POINT??? 6 employees is not 6 manager's, only a manager or a very dumb employee can ok it, the employee did the right thing taking them, but did he know a manager oked it??? THAT'S THE KEY THING you keep saying an manager lied when the manager oked it and left, then when you checkout you NEVER MENTION THAT PIECE OF INFO expecting the blueberry's to have a collective hivemind and know psychically...

So many details of your story don't connect with each other. If the manager was talking to you on your way out then why didn't you say something to him. If the manager knew that they would ring up as "item not available for sale" then he probably would have said sorry you can't have them since they would have to give them to you for free rather than you actually purchasing them for a penny. Seriously though you sound like a 10 year old making up a fake story to impress your friends.

[quote name='cgxcswim']So many details of your story don't connect with each other. If the manager was talking to you on your way out then why didn't you say something to him. If the manager knew that they would ring up as "item not available for sale" then he probably would have said sorry you can't have them since they would have to give them to you for free rather than you actually purchasing them for a penny. Seriously though you sound like a 10 year old making up a fake story to impress your friends.[/QUOTE]

Or a 10 year old with a selective memory and no common sense.

[quote name='cgxcswim']So many details of your story don't connect with each other. If the manager was talking to you on your way out then why didn't you say something to him. If the manager knew that they would ring up as "item not available for sale" then he probably would have said sorry you can't have them since they would have to give them to you for free rather than you actually purchasing them for a penny. Seriously though you sound like a 10 year old making up a fake story to impress your friends.[/QUOTE]

I typed it out selectively while I was doing things at the time. Had a lot going on today. The manager was there the whole time, once the employee I asked to price check the guide seen the price was a penny he instantly took the guide and went to get the manager. The manager asked where I got the guide I showed him the other 8 that were there and we picked up another one rang it up and it was a penny also. After that he went and grabbed the supervisor of the area. Asked her why those were there and she said she had sent them back months ago which then I stated you obviously didnt because there is 8 of them on the floor. They talked about it a while we went and grabbed all the guides on the shelves. I asked him if I could purchase the one I had already he said yeah thats fine. I over heard them saying something about the guides would just sit on the back of a pallet anyways, so I then said do you mind if I purchase two of them then. He said yeah thats fine gave me the two. We took both of the guides and the other guide I had already purchased to the register and I checked out. Once we rang up the guides, the employee then seen he had to get a manager to come and verify it. Both the manager and supervisor then came out, the chick that was running the gaming floor took the guides and was like nope we cant sale you these after all. The manager was like I guess you cant buy them then I just shook me head at him and he started talking to me about my hat.

My bad I didnt have the time to explain the whole fucking story to you. Either way I summed it up and if your to fucking stupid to understand english then maybe you have other things to worry about in life.

Either way my week was cool I came up on all this for $80.

j77ssi.jpg

[quote name='MykelxKnight']I typed it out selectively while I was doing things at the time. Had a lot going on today. The manager was there the whole time, once the employee I asked to price check the guide seen the price was a penny he instantly took the guide and went to get the manager. The manager asked where I got the guide I showed him the other 8 that were there and we picked up another one rang it up and it was a penny also. After that he went and grabbed the supervisor of the area. Asked her why those were there and she said she had sent them back months ago which then I stated you obviously didnt because there is 8 of them on the floor. They talked about it a while we went and grabbed all the guides on the shelves. I asked him if I could purchase the one I had already he said yeah thats fine. I over heard them saying something about the guides would just sit on the back of a pallet anyways, so I then said do you mind if I purchase two of them then. He said yeah thats fine gave me the two. We took both of the guides and the other guide I had already purchased to the register and I checked out. Once we rang up the guides, the employee then seen he had to get a manager to come and verify it. Both the manager and supervisor then came out, the chick that was running the gaming floor took the guides and was like nope we cant sale you these after all. The manager was like I guess you cant buy them then I just shook me head at him and he started talking to me about my hat.

My bad I didnt have the time to explain the whole ing story to you. Either way I summed it up and if your to ing stupid to understand english then maybe you have other things to worry about in life.

Either way my week was cool I came up on all this for $80.

[/QUOTE]
Well the manager clearly oked it before he knew the system PHYSICALLY wouldn't let him sell the guides, PERIOD.

[quote name='MykelxKnight']... if your to fucking stupid to understand english...[/QUOTE]

Anyone else find it funny that this statement has two grammatical errors?

good grief, what a ludicrous story with added and changed details everytime. Lets just move on here.
I have to ask tho. . Why the hell did you buy 3 copies of bulletstorm?

[quote name='warboss zorbag']good grief, what a ludicrous story with added and changed details everytime. Lets just move on here.
I have to ask tho. . Why the hell did you buy 3 copies of bulletstorm?[/QUOTE]

They were $1.99 I got 2 copys for friends. Seems that I have a lot of resellers in my area, I went back to buy a limited edition copy of ds 2 and they were all gone. Ran into some dork from slickdeals that said a guy came and bought every copy of ds 2 the day before( there was like 20+ copies at my store )

[quote name='MykelxKnight'] Seems that I have a lot of resellers in my area, I went back to buy a limited edition copy of ds 2 and they were all gone. Ran into some dork from slickdeals that said a guy came and bought every copy of ds 2 the day before( there was like 20+ copies at my store )[/QUOTE]

You snooze, you lose. It's not like you didn't have the opportunity to get it earlier. You'll remember this lesson later when you contemplate passing on a deal.

[quote name='hellmutt']Anyone else find it funny that this statement has two grammatical errors?[/QUOTE]

I find it par for the course. I'm waiting for him to say the manager bait and switched him. :)

What he should have done was, instead of buying 3 copys of bulletstorm, took that $6 and bought a copy of strunk and white.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']I find it par for the course. I'm waiting for him to say the manager bait and switched him. :)

What he should have done was, instead of buying 3 copys of bulletstorm, took that $6 and bought a copy of strunk and white.[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed this.

[quote name='maxpower0965']I just got back from BBY with 3x uncharted 3 CE guides.[/QUOTE]

I'll bite. Why three and not just one for yourself?

[quote name='Romeo']I'll bite. Why three and not just one for yourself?[/QUOTE]

Why not three? But, if you must know one for me and the other two are for my brothers.

[quote name='maxpower0965']Why not three? But, if you must know one for me and the other two are for my brothers.[/QUOTE]

...because this site is now a reseller site, not about deals. Most flip and come here to make money. I ask because I had a chance to take many guides at best buy just last week, and I took just one for myself, while a friend took a few for games she owned. We left many more than we took.

[quote name='Romeo']...because this site is now a reseller site, not about deals. Most flip and come here to make money. I ask because I had a chance to take many guides at best buy just last week, and I took just one for myself, while a friend took a few for games she owned. We left many more than we took.[/QUOTE]

I didnt take guides to resell or because of a deal, but to use the guides. The only reason I was able to take 3 is if you by the game that goes with the guide they'll let you take the guide too. And uncharted 3 was the only game my brothers and I didn't have.

[quote name='htz']http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Geek-Squad-Policies/Refused-sale/td-p/659999
^Some dude was denied his penny guides, and now he made a thread in the BB forums. He is making enough noise that a corporate connector is looking into it. :cold:[/QUOTE]

This guy, like all the fucking morons before him that complain to corporate, just ensures that chances of getting a penny guide become ever slimmer than they already are for the rest of us.

fucking idiot.
Just talked to the manager who told me that they were most likely getting shipped somewhere or destroyed. He won't give me the items that I had in my hands at the price I was told that they cost. Please contact me ASAP so I know what steps I can take.

Ppl seem to forget these aren't some super sale or clearance prices... the ONLY reason they are a penny are because it makes it easier to find which ones to pull.

[quote name='Lemstar']Don't feed Romeo.[/QUOTE]

The way the world is sickens me anymore, it's all greed. When people find guides here, they'll take multiples, then try to sell them to members or trade them to amazon. That's exactly why stores won't give them out! The way it should be is "oh hey I found 3 max Payne Guides, just pay shipping costs and I'll send it to you".

I don't even know why Romeo goes and gets penny guides, according to his logic and self righteousness anybody that get's one should be deemed a thief and a con artist. Aren't they supposed to be sent back to the publisher and/or get field destroyed?

[quote name='coopscohen']With so many people looking for guides, does anyone trade? I have duplicates that I would like to trade for ones I haven't been able to get.[/QUOTE]

Here is the thread, since too many people don't get guides anymore new updates are minimal.

[quote name='coopscohen']With so many people looking for guides, does anyone trade? I have duplicates that I would like to trade for ones I haven't been able to get.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='skiizim']Here is the thread, since too many people don't get guides anymore new updates are minimal.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

What a damned idiot. I love the sense of entitlement. What steps can I take?

I work in retail management, and I deal with people's false sense of entitlement all day. Sickening.

bread's done
Back