Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Penny guides and this forum are not here for you to make a profit on.

It needs to be said. If I find guides, I used to pick up one of each. At TRU on Monday I saw nearly all of the guides there and I didn't pick up a single one. Either didn't want them or had the collectors editions and no need for the standard.

When someone goes and grabs/hoards several of the, it sets off red flags and will get them pulled. It ruins it for everyone else. Which is why I addressed it, as people like that ruin this site, just like SD.
What Be and What Should are two different things.

I hit two TRU stores yesterday. One was a complete waste, as they had pulled their $0.02 guides. The other one was a bit of a goldmine, as they had a number of guides to pick up. Ended up with singles of the following:

Pikimin 3

Thief

DK Country Returns 3D

Lego City Undercover

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

LoZ: ALBTW

Had other ones besides those guides, though those were the only ones I needed/wanted. The cashier seemed a bit perturbed when I had other guides to check and when they rang up as full price and she had to void them out, needing a manager to override the purchase due to the amount of the voids. Oh well, sorry to have caused you 2 minutes worth of grief. :roll:
lol damn shrike, did ya look for the self scanner?

they have one where you self scan for instore pick-up....

I just rolled a cart back to the scanner and checked...

Wouldn't want to risk or give a reason for denial.

and to those stating only take one, I'm torn as many have reported the cashier called to have all the rest pulled right as they were checking out... in my case I bought a couple doubles and left some... but maybe I should have "saved" (lol) the rest...

[quote name="donut" post="12490153" timestamp="1423702933"]lol damn shrike, did ya look for the self scanner?
they have one where you self scan for instore pick-up....
I just rolled a cart back to the scanner and checked...
Wouldn't want to risk or give a reason for denial.

and to those stating only take one, I'm torn as many have reported the cashier called to have all the rest pulled right as they were checking out... in my case I bought a couple doubles and left some... but maybe I should have "saved" (lol) the rest...[/quote]
The self-scanner wasn't working, so that wasn't an option. Since I couldn't find a coherent list in the thread with all of the back and forth trade posts, I had to figure out what was good and what wasn't. Had the self-scanner been working, I would have gone that route. Not my first time getting guides, after all.

got lucky today at my TRU.  Got:

Pikmin 3 x2

DKC returns x2

Thief

Watch Dogs

Titanfall

BF4

Left a bunch on the racks.  They also had tons of Halo4 and CoD:BO2 which I wasn't interested in.

Was worried for a min as the cashier called mgmt.  They said something about donating them so I ended up getting them for free.  Felt guilty about the haul so I donated $5 to the special Olympics.

God in Heaven help us the day that one becomes a moderator.
"What??? You bought one copy of a game and came here to post instead of playing it IMMEDIATELY?!?!? 30 DAY BAN!!!!! Someone else may have been looking for that exact copy of the game and now you have ruined it for them!!! I've changed my mind! PERMANENT BAN!!!"

"What??? You bought one copy of a game and came here to post instead of playing it IMMEDIATELY?!?!? 30 DAY BAN!!!!! Someone else may have been looking for that exact copy of the game and now you have ruined it for them!!! I've changed my mind! PERMANENT BAN!!!"

Man I'm exhausted this morning, you're post gave me a great belly laugh. Thank you!

Stopped by a TRU on the way from work and got lucky.  Picked of one of each:

• Watch Dogs
  • Titanfall
  • BF4
  • AC IV
  • Thief
The cashier started asking me how I knew about the $0.02 price and I tried to play ignorant and blame it on a non-existent nephew.  Fortunately she didn't deny me the sale and rung them up without hesitation.  There were quite a few left on the shelf, so hopefully they won't pull them.  I decided to donate $5 to the special olympics to make me feel a little better about myself (and cause the wife works with special needs kids).  I think it's working.

Just got back from TRU. This is what i got from the penny guide list

Only took one of each. Was also able to snag a toon link amiibo there which was cool.

Why are you posting that your selling penny guides??
lol. I'm 99% sure he's making fun of the doofus who didn't spend the half of a second it takes to peel off a sticker that clearly reads "$.01"

I'd actually really love to have an advanced warfare CE guide for my collection. I'm tempted to buy it just so I can leave him feedback telling him how lazy is he include the free penny price stickers in his ebay auction pictures.

lol. I'm 99% sure he's making fun of the doofus who didn't spend the half of a second it takes to peel off a sticker that clearly reads "$.01"

I'd actually really love to have an advanced warfare CE guide for my collection. I'm tempted to buy it just so I can leave him feedback telling him how lazy is he include the free penny price stickers in his ebay auction pictures.
I actually do have an extra Advanced Warfare CE guide. Let me know if you want to trade.

picked up a bunch from TRU tonight...the cashier caught it right away even though I had a few other things, called a mgr over and she allowed it because they were out on the floor.  I think they immediately went over to pull the remaining copies though.

got:

Watchdogs

Lego City

Donkey Kong Returns 3D

Titanfall

Pikman 3

Thief

Thanks guys.

Picked up Pikmin 3, DK 3D, Watchdog, and an energy drink at Seal Beach/Los Alamitos's TRU for $2 and change. They have most of the penny guides except Zelda but half of the guides are locked up behind the window.

Also this place has LEGO Marvel Super Heroes guide. I thought I point it out because someone was looking for it. It ring up $25 for me but still a good price if you don't want to pay $50 for it.

Picked up Pikmin 3, DK 3D, Watchdog, and an energy drink at Seal Beach/Los Alamitos's TRU for $2 and change. They have most of the penny guides except Zelda but half of the guides are locked up behind the window.

Also this place has LEGO Marvel Super Heroes guide. I thought I point it out because someone was looking for it. It ring up $25 for me but still a good price if you don't want to pay $50 for it.
Geez, why are these $50 now? Just had to look it up and cheapest on amazon is $52. Crazy talk. Might have to find one somewhere.

Good luck finding one in NEW condition. Most kids have manhandled those guides by now.
actually saw a few while I was 0.02 guide shopping at a couple TRUs. They were in surprisingly good shape or at least the ones I grabbed for price checks. Regardless, I hate to pay real money (minus penny guides of course) for games and game guides now so I may just let them go.

Thanks, that was me. I checked my local TRU, the guy was even nice enough to check in back for me.

Good luck finding one in NEW condition. Most kids have manhandled those guides by now.
very true.

Geez, why are these $50 now? Just had to look it up and cheapest on amazon is $52. Crazy talk. Might have to find one somewhere.
it is crazy. I'm guessing because a lot of kids got the games for Christmas, the parents are clueless and not super interested when it comes to Lego games and need a helping hand. That's my situation anyway.

I'd probably be able to help much more if I understood the direction of the game.

well, my gotta have it kicked in so I grabbed the better copy (one 3" crease in cover).  To ease the sting of the $25, picked up more 0.02 cent guides:  Pikmin 3, Thief, DKC returns, AC4:BF, Titanfall.  I didn't clean them out last week so these I left for others but no one grabbed any from what I remember.  There is still one Thief, a few DKC and about a half dozen or more of AC4:BF.

Anyone know why the Sam Hell the RE Revelations guide is so damn expensive?
Yes! I knew I had at least one of those in my collection! And I do. Just one. Bummer that I don't have more, but it's in perfect condition. Gonna toss it up on eBay. Major props to you, my man, for telling me about that.

Everyone, feel free to list the names of valuable guides here so that some of us can make money. Or just PM them to me so that I don't have any competition. I mean... uh...

Yes! I knew I had at least one of those in my collection! And I do. Just one. Bummer that I don't have more, but it's in perfect condition. Gonna toss it up on eBay. Major props to you, my man, for telling me about that.
I wouldn't turn down a finders fee :p

I'll give 1 tip. The first uncharted guide. I still have 8 or so of them, but they are not selling as high now.
I traded my 2 into Amazon a few years ago for $193 each.....my pants still get a little tight when I think about it. Wish my BestBuys had more of them back then.

From the most recent TRU drop: Animal Crossing New Leaf

Also, Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar. Though I'd recommend just keeping it b/c it's awesome.

Lastly, RE Archives Vol. 1

I traded my 2 into Amazon a few years ago for $193 each.....my pants still get a little tight when I think about it. Wish my BestBuys had more of them back then.
I wish I would have saw that tiv. I could have made a couple grand over multiple family members accounts. :(

Well it turns out my TRU never collected the rest of the guides like they said they were. Now to make it out there in something that isnt a motorcycle!

From the most recent TRU drop: Animal Crossing New Leaf
Shyte. I have that one from when GS pennied it. I'm not selling it, but now I'm aware of what an idiot I am for not wanting to sell it.

http://www.ebay.com

http://www.amazon.com

Those are your sources, go do your own research.
I like this strategy. I can keep up with this thread and still remain ignorant to the probable goldmine I have sitting in my game room.

jk. Post them if you want. Just please don't post them for games that are in my backlog. :D

I am in need of a revelations guide. I don't mind getting a bit fucked in the ass for it but try and at least give me a deal. Just cause its selling for 70 doesn't man you make $70. There are fees involved people.

I wouldn't turn down a finders fee :p
I gave you a Like. That should be enough since it's from me.

http://www.ebay.com

http://www.amazon.com

Those are your sources, go do your own research.
h4b2zfU.jpg

bread's done
Back