Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Romeo']I'm not aware of any best buy price drop, especially on the hardcover guide.[/QUOTE]

It didn't drop but I'll could possibly pick it up if it drops.

Found a Syndicate guide, but the bastard ass-ociate wouldn't sell it to me. I'm depriving Best Buy of money by getting their pennied guides, but I can't seem to ruin the one store that I really want to. I really hate Gamestop. Hurry up and die already. I want you gone.

I went by the the notoriously slack ass Gamestop sorta-near me last night and found Uncharted 3 on the shelves. Rang up $0.01 played dumb and walked with it.

I say slack ass because I can always find a lingering guide here or there on their shelves after a pull (and they always pull).

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Found a Syndicate guide, but the bastard ass-ociate wouldn't sell it to me. I'm depriving Best Buy of money by getting their pennied guides, but I can't seem to ruin the one store that I really want to. I really hate Gamestop. Hurry up and die already. I want you gone.[/QUOTE]

This you don't want. Best Buy likes competing with Gamestop. All our prices will rise if Gamestop dies.

[quote name='hellmutt']This you don't want. Best Buy likes competing with Gamestop. All our prices will rise if Gamestop dies.[/QUOTE]

this ^^^. why don't you just stop shopping there???

[quote name='havuk']this ^^^. why don't you just stop shopping there???[/QUOTE]

Do we have any news from our BB insiders? Where have all the penny guides gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='j.t'] None even had a guide rack anymore, they just had like 3 guides by the register.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my area. I've been to half a dozen GS over the past couple of months and none of them have had a guide rack. I purchased a Rage guide at one but had to ask for it. The girl checked the computer and then went to the back for it. The only GS with a guide rack (by guide rack I mean 5 or 6 guides) was a store at a mall.

[quote name='confoosious']
Do we have any news from our BB insiders? Where have all the penny guides gone?[/QUOTE]

As far as all the chatter has gone, we think BB has found a way to end penny guides forever.

[quote name='hellmutt']As far as all the chatter has gone, we think BB has found a way to end penny guides forever.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Didn't someone report finding one of the last guides that were reported to be on a pull list a while ago and having it ring up MSRP at the register, but when they checked it in the in store inventory system it showed the $.01 price?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. Didn't someone report finding one of the last guides that were reported to be on a pull list a while ago and having it ring up MSRP at the register, but when they checked it in the in store inventory system it showed the $.01 price?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it showed up as $.01 in the RSS but when it was scaned it rang up full price. I think it was the Dragon Age 2 guide, don't hold me to it though.

A month ago I found 3x Red Dead Redemption guide in BBY. Took one up and it rang up at .01 but the cashier talked to the manager who said they couldn't sell it, went over to the gaming department and took all three guides off the shelf. =(

On the bright side hit the guide jackpot yesterday at GameStop. Got the Red Dead Redemption I wanted, Golden Sun, Cataclysm Atlas, Brotherhood, Donkey Kong Returns, Ratchet & Clank, Fallout NV CE all for a cent each, and Skyrim for $33 and FFXII LE for $12. Cashier saw my pile and told me I might like some other guides as well, went to the back room and gave me Borderlands GOTY and Battlefield 3 CE. Made three preorders which I wont pick up as a thank you lol. They also had a few more hardcover guides that I wanted but I couldn't take them with everything else so will go back soon for them.

Apparently a memo was sent out a few weeks back telling employees not to sell the guides for a penny. Given the YMMV nature of BBY employees I don't think that would be a huge issue, but the pre-pulling practice has really killed any chance at guides...

And if it helps anyone, I scanned a Borderlands GOTY today and it was still $29.99.

Stopped in at a Gamestop out of town today. Picked up a copy of Syndicate. Also saw a second of Syndicate, and an LA Noir, but as I was already getting a Syndicate and already have a LA Noir, I left them on the shelf for (hopefully) the next guy (in that I mean I hope someone else gets it and they are not simply pulled). Saw a few copies of Rage...surprised that is not pennied yet.

I think I will stop at my local Gamestop tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

[quote name='fmwross2']I was told by the gaming manager at my Best Buy that they don't do penny guides anymore. He didn't elaborate.[/QUOTE]

He didn't mention a memo to the publishers?

Well since my life totally sucks and my latest business venture failed I might be going back to Best Buy but instead of asset protection, I might be getting the full time gaming position. I really don't wanna go back but I'll be on the inside again and waste my time looking up info on guides and cheap games.

You know, instead of helping customers cause everyone that works at BB ignores the customers.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Well since my life totally sucks and my latest business venture failed I might be going back to Best Buy but instead of asset protection, I might be getting the full time gaming position. I really don't wanna go back but I'll be on the inside again and waste my time looking up info on guides and cheap games.

You know, instead of helping customers cause everyone that works at BB ignores the customers.[/QUOTE]

You can always tell the newbies to the veteran employees. Vets walk away from customers, the white shirts come up to you.

While I was hunting for $.99 games for the Target deal yesterday, I found a Ratchet and Clank All 4 In One guide. Dunno how I missed it, since I went there before to find penny guides. Either way, I picked it up. I didn't even need it, but I would rather hoard it than let Gamestop have their way.

[quote name='CaptainPickles']Stopped in at a Gamestop out of town today. Picked up a copy of Syndicate. Also saw a second of Syndicate, and an LA Noir, but as I was already getting a Syndicate and already have a LA Noir, I left them on the shelf for (hopefully) the next guy (in that I mean I hope someone else gets it and they are not simply pulled). Saw a few copies of Rage...surprised that is not pennied yet.

I think I will stop at my local Gamestop tomorrow and see if I can find anything.[/QUOTE]

Went to my local Gamestop today, found a Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and a Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. Pretty surprised, first guides I have ever found locally.

Crap, my penny guide hunting has alerted one of my gamestops. The manager said
"Sorry you wont be getting any penny guides as long as im here" i jokes with him and i said with a smerk "Its all good, hope you enjoy them collecting dust". I have plenty of other gamestops to go to anyway :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Crap, my penny guide hunting has alerted one of my gamestops. The manager said
"Sorry you wont be getting any penny guides as long as im here" i jokes with him and i said with a smerk "Its all good, hope you enjoy them collecting dust". I have plenty of other gamestops to go to anyway :)[/QUOTE]

You didn't ask him what his hours were? LOL.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Crap, my penny guide hunting has alerted one of my gamestops. The manager said
"Sorry you wont be getting any penny guides as long as im here" i jokes with him and i said with a smerk "Its all good, hope you enjoy them collecting dust". I have plenty of other gamestops to go to anyway :)[/QUOTE]

Serious question: are you 12?

You have absolutely nothing to gain from antagonizing someone who is doing their job, other than the satisfaction of going, "BUUUURRRRRN!" in your head as you walk out. (And then posting about it online.) Managers get in trouble for giving us guides, if the DM has that as a priority. Guides in my area dried up overnight because of a new DM who would literally travel to every store the day after guides dropped and would check their records for every single penny guide.

Rather than burning those bridges, it pays to stay friendly and understanding. Then, when the pressure is off, they may hook you up again. As for penny guides collecting dust, it sounds like this manager will dump them in a landfill like he's supposed to. The poo and sludge will protect them from dust. ;)

That sucks dude!

When i learn a guide at gamestop has pennied out through CAG, i make it a point to try and get something from the store other than the guide/s (ie. buy a game, trade in a game other than just go to the register with the guide/s). 100% of the time... the employee will just give me the guide and then asked me to do the feedback thing. hehe!

Its also good to hangout at the store once in a while and have little conversation with them about games and get on their good side.

[quote name='Zippon']Serious question: are you 12?

You have absolutely nothing to gain from antagonizing someone who is doing their job, other than the satisfaction of going, "BUUUURRRRRN!" in your head as you walk out. (And then posting about it online.) Managers get in trouble for giving us guides, if the DM has that as a priority. Guides in my area dried up overnight because of a new DM who would literally travel to every store the day after guides dropped and would check their records for every single penny guide.

Rather than burning those bridges, it pays to stay friendly and understanding. Then, when the pressure is off, they may hook you up again. As for penny guides collecting dust, it sounds like this manager will dump them in a landfill like he's supposed to. The poo and sludge will protect them from dust. ;)[/QUOTE]

I do know him, i was busting his chops like i always do lol. I know he was doing his job. I was just having some fun thats all :). It does suck however that i have one less place to get my penny guides

Found Syndicate and Darkness II guides at my local gamestop (Culver City), both marked 1cent but was unable to purchase them. The associate said sorry and put them under the counter, oh well =/

[quote name='gedean']Found Syndicate and Darkness II guides at my local gamestop (Culver City), both marked 1cent but was unable to purchase them. The associate said sorry and put them under the counter, oh well =/[/QUOTE]

Weird that the store even marked it out $1c and put it on shelves and not sell it to you when you saw them in the floor? But yeah, sorry for the loss man.

[quote name='CaptainPickles']Went to my local Gamestop today, found a Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One and a Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. Pretty surprised, first guides I have ever found locally.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I got some hunting to do...

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Weird that the store even marked it out $1c and put it on shelves and not sell it to you when you saw them in the floor? But yeah, sorry for the loss man.[/QUOTE]
Back when I first joined CAG there were several BB stores that would clearly mark their guides $.01(Seacaucus, NJ, for one) and even put out a shelf tag marked a penny too. I also noticed that most of the guides I used to get from my closest GS store for being on their 'good' side(making and keeping tons of pre-orders) would have penny stickers on them.

That's the thing that amuses me most about the pennied guides is that both BB and GS sticker them with the penny stickers just to end up throwing them in the fuckin' dumpster.

Anyway, I stopped at that lil flea market place where the guy used to have tons of guides from drops 6-8 months ago from BB. He had all guides marked 50% off. I thought about buying a Lost Planet 2 one for $1 just in case I grab the game used from BB sometime. But I changed my mind. Otherwise he has crap for guides and doesn't seem to be putting any newer/different stuff out.;)

Ladies and gentlemen, fear not, for I have arrived! I went to BB today to try to find Duke Nukem and Battlefield 3 for the sale price. Didn't find them, but I decided to ring up a handful of guides. And one was pennied. The Fallout New Vegas CE has now been officially pennied. So, no, it looks like BB has not dealt with their issue of pennied guides. We're still getting them.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Ladies and gentlemen, fear not, for I have arrived! I went to BB today to try to find Duke Nukem and Battlefield 3 for the sale price. Didn't find them, but I decided to ring up a handful of guides. And one was pennied. The Fallout New Vegas CE has now been officially pennied. So, no, it looks like BB has not dealt with their issue of pennied guides. We're still getting them.[/QUOTE]Uh-oh. Now I have to check my store to see if the 9+ copies there have mysteriously vanished...

[quote name='WeaponX2099']tru has pennied out Dead Rising 2 and Medal of Honor[/QUOTE]

Seriously...? TRU pennies guides?

[quote name='RabbitSuit']TRU was a regular, but they abruptly stopped a while back.[/QUOTE]

Is there confirmation they started offering penny guides again?

I was able to get a few sealed and not sealed copies of Fallout NV that im putting up with a few other guides I was able to get. 5 out of 6 BB had already got rid of them my close one had 20 copies all gone as of 10:01 today sadness. TRU also had a huge stack of guides that were pennied out but all gone. Literally 2/3 of there guide section was gone.

Fallout NV standard edition is $9.99. Was hoping that it would have been a $0.01 like the CE. As soon as I see a drop on this thread I run down to store to see if they have it , but no luck. All of the GSs and BBs where I live seem to pull all of the guides instead of selling them at a penny.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']I was able to get a few sealed and not sealed copies of Fallout NV that im putting up with a few other guides I was able to get. 5 out of 6 BB had already got rid of them my close one had 20 copies all gone as of 10:01 today sadness. TRU also had a huge stack of guides that were pennied out but all gone. Literally 2/3 of there guide section was gone.[/QUOTE]

Other than FNV what was pennied at BB? (and TRU for that matter?)

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']Ladies and gentlemen, fear not, for I have arrived![/QUOTE]We weren't in fear of your arrival, so thank you for clearing that right up.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']I was able to get a few sealed and not sealed copies of Fallout NV that im putting up with a few other guides I was able to get. 5 out of 6 BB had already got rid of them my close one had 20 copies all gone as of 10:01 today sadness. TRU also had a huge stack of guides that were pennied out but all gone. Literally 2/3 of there guide section was gone.[/QUOTE]

Any other guides you remembered that pennied at BB and/or TRU?

(I thought I posted this before, but apparently not)

Ok, what mod keeps deleting my posts? All I am asking is if anyone saw what other guides pennied? Is that so frickin' hard?

bread's done
Back