Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Little off-topic, but 2 questions for you guys:

1. Anybody here have an opinion on the ACIII CE guide? I've only played some of the 2nd one but I like nice guides and this seems like a good one to pick up.

2. When did ME3 guides get pennied out at GS? I was in one a couple weeks ago and I swear it still had full-price stickers on it.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Little off-topic, but 2 questions for you guys:

1. Anybody here have an opinion on the ACIII CE guide? I've only played some of the 2nd one but I like nice guides and this seems like a good one to pick up.

2. When did ME3 guides get pennied out at GS? I was in one a couple weeks ago and I swear it still had full-price stickers on it.[/QUOTE]

The ACIII guide is nice, hardcover guide, lenticular inside that is numbered and a fold out poster made of heavier paper is in the back

tl;dr I've gotten worse deals with $7 and have been satisfied

ALSO

Anyone that picked up the following pennied guides, I would be willing to pay a few bucks + shipping cost PM me to work out a deal

Assassin's Creed: Revelations , and Any other AC except 3
Darksiders 2 as well as 1
Kingdom Hearts except 358/2 days
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword prefer the CE one

[quote name='j.t']AC:R pennied? Check price on Sunday when I pick up ACIII CE and rang up full price.[/QUOTE]

I saw one today while at Best Buy. Thought about checking if it would ring up a penny but didn't have the time.

Went to best buy today and saw a Mario kart 7 guide and a penny price tag. The guide was in a stack of other random guides on random shelve In the video game section, the price tag was under the 3ds games. Anyway, I tried to buy it and it came up as do not sell. Long story short, one employee said another was supposed to throw them out in the dumpster behind the store yesterday but apparently never did. She also said any employee caught giving it to a customer would be fired on the spot. Seems like dumb policy to me. They would rather throw out the game guides than sell them to a customer. I made sure to take the survey online as I did purchase two copies of pikmin 2.

[quote name='Dump1eSti1tskin']I saw one today while at Best Buy. Thought about checking if it would ring up a penny but didn't have the time.[/QUOTE]

Check the OP it Pennied at GS in June 2012.

OK, I have to ask. How are you guys getting these deals? Do you just ask for prices on the guides you want? Do you ask them if they have any "penny guides"? I've never even heard of "penny guides" until reading this thread.

[quote name='FlyingAce39']OK, I have to ask. How are you guys getting these deals? Do you just ask for prices on the guides you want? Do you ask them if they have any "penny guides"? I've never even heard of "penny guides" until reading this thread.[/QUOTE]

Nah, homie. Just act surprised when the guide rings up for a penny. Nowadays it been tough to walk out with penny guide. Best Buy deletes the SKU for pennied guides so they can't sell them. Extremely YMMV if they'll even let you buy it. Gamestop has been on point lately with pulling guide when they get pennied. Even if your local store has then they still doesn't guaranteed the employee let's you buy it.

[quote name='j.t']Nah, homie. Just act surprised when the guide rings up for a penny. Nowadays it been tough to walk out with penny guide. Best Buy deletes the SKU for pennied guides so they can't sell them. Extremely YMMV if they'll even let you buy it. Gamestop has been on point lately with pulling guide when they get pennied. Even if your local store has then they still doesn't guaranteed the employee let's you buy it.[/QUOTE]

Well that's not cool. :roll:

[quote name='Namurashi']What part?[/QUOTE]

Best Buy deleting the SKU so they can't sell it. Just don't wanna let em go for a penny.

[quote name='FlyingAce39']Best Buy deleting the SKU so they can't sell it. Just don't wanna let em go for a penny.[/QUOTE]

They're not supposed to sell them for a penny. They were never intended to be sold for a penny, that was just a marker to show they were to pulled and destroyed. Anytime you get a penny guide consider it a gift because no one has a right to them.

I tried the Revelations guides @ a nearby BB and the price scan didn't show them as a penny :/ I already plat'd the game and didn't even like it, but I am a big fan of the series overall... So it would've been great for my collection of AC stuff.

Finally scored one. Took Resident Evil: ORC up to checkout and it said it was unavailable to sell. At first they said they just couldn't sell it, which I said was fine, but one of the shift managers tracked me down in games after that and told me he'd give it to me for a penny. I actually got it for free though because it wouldn't scan, so he just told the cashier to give it to me. Win. :)

got FFXIII-2 Collector's Guide for free at BB. I tried to grab it the other night and the manager said no. The next day I was looking at iPads and she came up to me and handed it to me. Maybe I should have taken her to the back and shown appreciation.

[quote name='AngryNerdJosh']got FFXIII-2 Collector's Guide for free at BB. I tried to grab it the other night and the manager said no. The next day I was looking at iPads and she came up to me and handed it to me. Maybe I should have taken her to the back and shown appreciation.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I was at Gamestop buying a Gamecube and I asked the manager if he had any penny guides and he thought for a minute and then went to the back. Came back 10 seconds later with a Fallout: New Vegas guide and a MW3 guide. Rang up as a penny each but since I was paying with a card, he said that they'd actually lose money on it, so he just gave them to me. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FlyingAce39']:applause:

I was at Gamestop buying a Gamecube and I asked the manager if he had any penny guides and he thought for a minute and then went to the back. Came back 10 seconds later with Fallout: New Vegas guide and a MW3 guide. Rang up as a penny each but since I was paying with a card, he said that they'd actually lose money on it, so he just gave them to me. :D[/QUOTE]

My GS would not be as cool with that. Well, most of the employees there wouldn't be anyway. Congrats, that was pretty cool of them to do. I'll have to try this at some Gamestops in the near-future.

[quote name='Namurashi']My GS would not be as cool with that. Well, most of the employees there wouldn't be anyway. Congrats, that was pretty cool of them to do. I'll have to try this at some Gamestops in the near-future.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are 3 Gamestops in my area. One of them is wound tighter than a guitar string. The other one is not quite so bad. They're pretty by-the-books, but they're very personable. And the Gamestop I regularly go to, which is the one I've been going to since it was "EB Games", is very laid back. The employees aren't total tight-asses. The manager also knows me because I'm in there a lot. :roll:

[quote name='FlyingAce39']Well, there are 3 Gamestops in my area. One of them is wound tighter than a guitar string. The other one is not quite so bad. They're pretty by-the-books, but they're very personable. And the Gamestop I regularly go to, which is the one I've been going to since it was "EB Games", is very laid back. The employees aren't total tight-asses. The manager also knows me because I'm in there a lot. :roll:[/QUOTE]

There are around 3 or 4 in my area. The one closest to me just had to be the one with a bunch of blokes with their panties in a bunch. Wouldn't mind driving around to see if I can grab some goodies by asking though. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='blinknot4']Amazon has the Diablo III paperback guide down to $3.29

Any thoughts from the PC dudes on if this guide is outdated? I am planning on getting the game for PS3 later this year, and was gonna get the guide now - assuming it is still relevant. Thanks in advance for any replies.[/QUOTE]

The DIII guide would be completely useless at this point. Pretty much everything is out of date now.

I guess buy it if you want the extra lore and artwork to look at, but the statistical data and item indexes are obsolete.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']The DIII guide would be completely useless at this point. Pretty much everything is out of date now.

I guess buy it if you want the extra lore and artwork to look at, but the statistical data and item indexes are obsolete.[/QUOTE]

That is what I figured, I shall pass then, even at that price. Thanks man. Perhaps they will release an updated edition once the PS3/4 versions come out. Thanks again!

[quote name='Namurashi']This would be great with Prime but if you can make it to your local BBY you'd save on shipping if you don't.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not available anymore, so I guess it doesn't matter anyways.

[quote name='strait edge follower']We need more gamestop penny drops :([/QUOTE]

What we need are more drops between msrp and pulling off the shelves

I live in Va and am very lucky to ever get penny guides since the BB treasure trove ended, but just started working in Ill recently and made a pretty good score at the GS here. Battlefield 3, 2 ff 13-2, Prototype 2, Ninja Gaiden, Game of Thrones and Silent Hill Downpour :applause:

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']My Gamestop threw out a shitload of guides on Wednesday in the trash... Too bad some of the covers was slashed :mad:

Many Fallout NV and Assassin Creeds[/QUOTE]
We need a complete list!!! Assuming some new drops are in there!

not a guide, but the blops2 shirts pennied at GS. Also, a way of checking if there's a chance something pennied at GS: go to the GS.com stock check page for any item. Replace the sku in the link with the one from whatever you found in store. If the page loads it isn't pennied. If it kicks you back to the GS homepage, there's a decent chance it is pennied.

the sku is the six digit code to the left of the date the sticker was printed

i went into a gamestop earlier that ive never been inside of before so i naturally had to memorize the layout and stuff. sure enough i found that they have a spinning guide rack and i found a red dead redemption goty guide just sitting there. i rushed and grabbed it right away lol. this guide is rare if im not mistaken

[quote name='strait edge follower']i went into a gamestop earlier that ive never been inside of before so i naturally had to memorize the layout and stuff. sure enough i found that they have a spinning guide rack and i found a red dead redemption goty guide just sitting there. i rushed and grabbed it right away lol. this guide is rare if im not mistaken[/QUOTE]

So I've heard, but why is it rare? Lol

[quote name='StryderOmega']So I've heard, but why is it rare? Lol[/QUOTE]

Well it's just valuble mostly (Around $50 to some people), popular/award winning games with GOTY Hardcover guides tend to fetch pretty pennies. Rare because it's Valuble now. Can still be bought on the brady games site though, but regardless, this for free is nice.

[quote name='Hemi']Well it's just valuble mostly (Around $50 to some people), popular/award winning games with GOTY Hardcover guides tend to fetch pretty pennies. Rare because it's Valuble now. Can still be bought on the brady games site though, but regardless, this for free is nice.[/QUOTE]
Actually, you really can't buy it direct from Bradygames. I ordered one in January and it has been backordered ever since. I don't think I will be seeing my copy.

Has anyone else had an order filled in the last 4 months?

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Actually, you really can't buy it direct from Bradygames. I ordered one in January and it has been backordered ever since. I don't think I will be seeing my copy.

Has anyone else had an order filled in the last 4 months?[/QUOTE]

Maybe if everyone places an order, they will reprint ;)

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Actually, you really can't buy it direct from Bradygames. I ordered one in January and it has been backordered ever since. I don't think I will be seeing my copy.

Has anyone else had an order filled in the last 4 months?[/QUOTE]

I too ordered one from the BradyGames site a month-ish ago. Still 'Processing'. I certainly hope it will be fulfilled, but I am not holding my breath.

Found a ME3 CE at a local GS today... Tried to buy it and the chick immediately said um nope can't sell this and set it down behind her (looked like she was saving it for later...) I said um why not, she said it wasn't allowed to be sold and that recently a local manager was fired for selling pennied guides.

I actually wanted the guide and even offered her $10 for it, but she wouldn't budge.

Is there anything I can do about it, or are they straight up allowed to deny the sale of a guide that should have been removed last October? Can I find a district manager to talk to, anything?

[quote name='TheLounge']Found a ME3 CE at a local GS today... Tried to buy it and the chick immediately said um nope can't sell this and set it down behind her (looked like she was saving it for later...) I said um why not, she said it wasn't allowed to be sold and that recently a local manager was fired for selling pennied guides.

I actually wanted the guide and even offered her $10 for it, but she wouldn't budge.

Is there anything I can do about it, or are they straight up allowed to deny the sale of a guide that should have been removed last October? Can I find a district manager to talk to, anything?[/QUOTE]
Nobody is ENTITLED to get penny guides cause its YMMV. Try another store cause calling will get you nowhere.

[quote name='Bumslie']Nobody is ENTITLED to get penny guides cause its YMMV. Try another store cause calling will get you nowhere.[/QUOTE]

On the phone now with CS, never actually got through. Explained the situation to him and he is calling them now (I think, he put me on hold hopefully it isn't ten mins like I had to wait just to get someone on the line)

Also, it was removed from stores months ago (been looking for it since like November myself)

The CS guy called the store, got an assitant manager, he sold the girl out and told her that he believes she took it to the back and bought it herself. He filed a complaint and put it through to the DM. I hate to do it to the girl, cause she has always been cool... But that is ridic to rip a find away from someone for yourself. I am sure it is against store policy as well.

First time speaking with a GS CS person on the phone and the kid was awesome.

[quote name='TheLounge']Found a ME3 CE at a local GS today... Tried to buy it and the chick immediately said um nope can't sell this and set it down behind her (looked like she was saving it for later...) I said um why not, she said it wasn't allowed to be sold and that recently a local manager was fired for selling pennied guides.

Is there anything I can do about it, or are they straight up allowed to deny the sale of a guide that should have been removed last October? Can I find a district manager to talk to, anything?[/QUOTE]

Listen, don't be "That guy" that get's shot down by an employee doing his/this case her, job. Than later try to get compesated by a DM because they feel entitled to free ****. There's nothing you can do, the whole reason they are "pennied" is so an employee can just take a scan gun, scan the rack, and see which are supposed to go bye bye. Employees are not supposed to sell them, the only reason you might even find one is a lazy employee who didn't trash them when they were supposed to.

So no, bad luck, but nevertheless atleast you tryed. Every time someone calls in/complains they clamp down tighter, and make it so NOBODY can ever get one again.

Edit: If she bought it herself, after denying you that's BS but still say you shouldn't of called, this isn't a "find" because while she shouldn't of taken it herself, you STILL weren't entitled to it :/

[quote name='Hemi']Listen, don't be "That guy" that get's shot down by an employee doing his/this case her, job. Than later try to get compesated by a DM because they feel entitled to free ****. There's nothing you can do, the whole reason they are "pennied" is so an employee can just take a scan gun, scan the rack, and see which are supposed to go bye bye. Employees are not supposed to sell them, the only reason you might even find one is a lazy employee who didn't trash them when they were supposed to.

So no, bad luck, but nevertheless atleast you tryed. Every time someone calls in/complains they clamp down tighter, and make it so NOBODY can ever get one again.

Edit: If she bought it herself, after denying you that's BS but still say you shouldn't of called, this isn't a "find" because while she shouldn't of taken it herself, you STILL weren't entitled to it :/[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLounge']On the phone now with CS, never actually got through. Explained the situation to him and he is calling them now (I think, he put me on hold hopefully it isn't ten mins like I had to wait just to get someone on the line)

Also, it was removed from stores months ago (been looking for it since like November myself)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLounge']The CS guy called the store, got an assitant manager, he sold the girl out and told her that he believes she took it to the back and bought it herself. He filed a complaint and put it through to the DM. I hate to do it to the girl, cause she has always been cool... But that is ridic to rip a find away from someone for yourself. I am sure it is against store policy as well.

First time speaking with a GS CS person on the phone and the kid was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Too late the vise is getting tighter by the minute. I can't believe the call was made.

[quote name='TheLounge']The CS guy called the store, got an assitant manager, he sold the girl out and told her that he believes she took it to the back and bought it herself. He filed a complaint and put it through to the DM. I hate to do it to the girl, cause she has always been cool... But that is ridic to rip a find away from someone for yourself. I am sure it is against store policy as well.

First time speaking with a GS CS person on the phone and the kid was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Did you get unbanned from Gamestop, IATCG?

Dude, not cool. You're just behaving in a spiteful manner. Assuming she was personally screwing you vs doing her job is dumb. And even if she did keep the guide, shes working for nothing dealing with asshats like you.

So you might have cost somebody their job simply because they refused to give you something that they aren't supposed to give you? Who cares if she bought it instead, are you that fucking petty? I don't even know why I am asking, since it's obvious that you're an entitled asshole.

bread's done
Back