Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
legendary Skyrim and expanded edition both pennied at Best Buy I went in to check them and the guys gave them to me for free this was in Charlottesville Virginia there is still one copy left of the expanded version if anyone wants to try and snag
AFAIK bestBuy doesnt do penny guides anymore, tried last week an no go.

legendary Skyrim and expanded edition both pennied at Best Buy I went in to check them and the guys gave them to me for free this was in Charlottesville Virginia there is still one copy left of the expanded version if anyone wants to try and snag
Did they ring up .01 cent or did they ring up that they weren't in the inventory.

AFAIK bestBuy doesnt do penny guides anymore, tried last week an no go.
They don't. At least not like they used to when you could actually just buy them and the cashier wouldn't care. Now they usually scan as not for sale or something to that effect and the manager has to ok it. So your chances of success have gone down from 98% to like 1%.

Is anyone else seeing 50% off Strategy Guides on Gamestops main page? It shows up for me under the Featured Deals and Offers banner, but the link takes you to regular priced guides.
I guess the sale is over, which makes sense since GS sales last until I think it Tuesday, so being that it is now Wednesday...

Stinks they forgot to take down the banner though. I ended up getting the RE6 LE guide for $9 and the Borderlands 2 Art Book for $13.50.

I guess the sale is over, which makes sense since GS sales last until I think it Tuesday, so being that it is now Wednesday...

Stinks they forgot to take down the banner though. I ended up getting the RE6 LE guide for $9 and the Borderlands 2 Art Book for $13.50.
Really? That sucks. I even tried to use the link last night (~9PM CST) to no avail.

I was really surprised to see the art book sold out at amazon and it fetches $50-100 on ebay...So I was instantly interested at $13.50.
Great pickup. I had the art book in my amazon wishlist for the longest time and realized recently it was sold out. Had I known that GS carried it and it qualified for the sale I would have jumped. Got to pay better attention.

How'd you guys find out about the 50% off guides sale? I don't remember it being in the weekly ad. Do you just have to stalk the website main page to find these deals?

Skyrim Legendary rang up at $30 for me

Hardcover and paperback legendary versions?

just paper
Interesting. The site only shows the Legendary paperback version available for sale and it's coming up at $30. I'd think that means the hardcover version is out of the system as well as expanded. Sounds like you got lucky with the paperback.

Anyone have any luck at TRU?  My local store had at least a dozen of FF XIII at one point but those along with all of the drops that I would want are gone.

Anyone have any luck at TRU? My local store had at least a dozen of FF XIII at one point but those along with all of the drops that I would want are gone.
The TRU in Hawthorne, CA has about 8 FF XIII's and 4 Fallout: New Vegas guides still in shrink wrap going for a penny.

Just walked out of BB with following guides for free, mgr just handed them over after scanning each one about a dozen times lol.

ME3
Simcity
Metal Gear Rising
FF XIII-2 hardcover

HUGE DROP AT GS!

GS is clearing out old guides to make room for holiday inventory. The list I post are just the ones my store has in stock, so there are other old guides that have been pennied out.

GS 10/31

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3 (Regular)
Borderlands 2 LE
COD:BO2 OSG
Cheat Code Overload Winter 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary (Regular)
Epic Mickey 2 (Regular)
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4 (Regular)
Hitman Absolution (Regular)
Injustice (Regular & Collector's)
Last of Us (Regular & Collector's)
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Resident Evil 6 LE

HUGE DROP AT GS!

GS is clearing out old guides to make room for holiday inventory. The list I post are just the ones my store has in stock, so there are other old guides that have been pennied out.

GS 10/31

Animal Crossing
Borderlands 2 LE
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III
Epic Mickey 2 (Regular)
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4 (Regular)
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Resident Evil 6 LE
I dont know how penny guides work at GS stores? is this a YMMV thing?

HUGE DROP AT GS!

GS 10/31

Animal Crossing
Borderlands 2 LE
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III
Epic Mickey 2 (Regular)
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4 (Regular)
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Resident Evil 6 LE
Holy shit. I wish I knew a gs that would sell me pennied guides

Skyrim Legendary Hardcover, Wind Waker LE and Disgaea D2 are also pennied. Seems like anything that hasn't come out this week they are getting rid of.

a gamestop newbie was ringing up a big stack of guides for me and the manager walked in at the last minute, i had a huuuuuge valued haul to. UUGHHHHH !!!! i almost scored 4 skyrim hardcovers amung the pile :(

a gamestop newbie was ringing up a big stack of guides for me and the manager walked in at the last minute, i had a huuuuuge valued haul to. UUGHHHHH !!!! i almost scored 4 skyrim hardcovers amung the pile :(
i thought you said you were knew alot of the store managers in your local gamestops? lol

i thought you said you were knew alot of the store managers in your local gamestops? lol
my main ones quit/got transferred. some of the new ones are cool with me but they inforce the guide thing to the T lol. the ones that got transferred are in gamestops that dont have the racks anymore. heck the one i just saw took theirs out. sigh :(

Ummm penny guides. Hope my local store workers are lazy pulling them out today do i can get yhem to sell / give them to me! A $5 preorder hopefully will be sufficient to sway them to my favor. If not, oh well.

%&#* almost in the same boat as strait, I am gonna be having to try other local GS's, my "hookup" at the local no longer works there.

Thanks for the heads up my lady had for me

COD BO II X 3
DCKR 3D X 3
AC III LE X 2
BL 2
BL 2 HC
INJUSTICE
INJUSTICE HC
LP 3 x 2
Lego CU X 2
EM 2 x 2
Pokemon B/W 2 CE x 2

Only things they didn't have we're Last of Us and White Witch ( kinda wanted that but cannot complain ) :)

Shit, that sucks, go dumpster diving tonight. You know it's going to be back there.

You just gotta be smart about it. When you walk up with nothing but penny guides, especially 4 of the same book it looks like you know exactly what you're doing and trying to exploit their system. I know it's tempting to grab all 4 Skyrims but you might have been able to make it out with 1. A lot of times I'll just pick one of each copy, when they tell me it's pennied out they aren't really supposed to sell it, just make nice talk about how much of a travesty it is that it's just going to be thrown out. Then when they give you that one copy just ask if it would be cool if you grabbed the rest for friends because it's better than the trash. That has worked for me countless times. Another thing I'll do is grab the penny guide and then grab the corresponding game for it. When they tell me they can't sell me the guide I'll tell them I don't want the game either then because I always play games with a guide which usually makes them give in and then I just go return the game at another gamestop. It might not be the most time saving method but it works and some people drive all around town to different best buys and gamestops just to make a 1-2 dollar flip so I figure I could be doing a lot worse to my gas tank.

0/3 for the stores in Port Richey.  They all show up on the locator but they were pulled & torn according to the employees.

Shit, that sucks, go dumpster diving tonight. You know it's going to be back there.

You just gotta be smart about it. When you walk up with nothing but penny guides, especially 4 of the same book it looks like you know exactly what you're doing and trying to exploit their system. I know it's tempting to grab all 4 Skyrims but you might have been able to make it out with 1. A lot of times I'll just pick one of each copy, when they tell me it's pennied out they aren't really supposed to sell it, just make nice talk about how much of a travesty it is that it's just going to be thrown out. Then when they give you that one copy just ask if it would be cool if you grabbed the rest for friends because it's better than the trash. That has worked for me countless times. Another thing I'll do is grab the penny guide and then grab the corresponding game for it. When they tell me they can't sell me the guide I'll tell them I don't want the game either then because I always play games with a guide which usually makes them give in and then I just go return the game at another gamestop. It might not be the most time saving method but it works and some people drive all around town to different best buys and gamestops just to make a 1-2 dollar flip so I figure I could be doing a lot worse to my gas tank.
Thanks--this is good advice. I'll be sure to keep it in mind if I find any of these latest drops at my local GSs. :)

More GS drops that I didn't see listed above (all softcover unless specified to be LE):

BioShock Infinite
Dragon's Dogma
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Elder Scrolls V: Revised and Expanded
Guild Wars 2
LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey
Lost Planet 3
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pikmin 3
Pokemon Black & White 2 Guide (not Pokedex; regular and LE)
Remember Me
Skylanders Giants
World of Warcraft: Mists of Panderia LE

More GS drops that I didn't see listed above (all softcover unless specified to be LE):

BioShock Infinite
Dragon's Dogma
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Elder Scrolls V: Revised and Expanded
Guild Wars 2
LEGO Legends of Chima: Laval's Journey
Lost Planet 3
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pikmin 3
Pokemon Black & White 2 Guide (not Pokedex; regular and LE)
Remember Me
Skylanders Giants
World of Warcraft: Mists of Panderia LE
Dark Arisen?

bread's done
Back