Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to two stores. First, stores two chicks straight up told me that the one's on displayed were all they had. Sure okay, Second, dude looks it up on his computer and it shows their discontinued and no go. I've could've gone to 2 other one in closer proximity to those but had other errands to run. Gonna check the one by work tomorrow. I NEED that Last of Us Limited Edition.

Went to two stores. First, stores two chicks straight up told me that the one's on displayed were all they had. Sure okay, Second, dude looks it up on his computer and it shows their discontinued and no go. I've could've gone to 2 other one in closer proximity to those but had other errands to run. Gonna check the one by work tomorrow. I NEED that Last of Us Limited Edition.
I put in hold requests and both were declined inside of one minute.

Holds thank, I just did one online for Last of US regular, already got email ready for pickup. Also tried Skyrim but no go. gonna stop by tomorrow

Holds thank, I just did one online for Last of US regular, already got email ready for pickup. Also tried Skyrim but no go. gonna stop by tomorrow
Do you know for sure that your store will hold it through tomorrow? A couple of GSs I've been to have told me that they only hold online holds until closing that day.

Tried reserving online, but not going through (the site, not even getting to store level).

I wouldn't mind a few of these, but never have luck at GS anymore.

They WOULD have to drop on Halloween, right?
Was only able to make it to one GS, and they had nothing.

I still have a sealed Gears Judgment that I'd gladly swap for one of these newer ones. Preferably the hardcover Infinite or Injustice.

Got one reserve online to go through, and its ready for pickup. Resident Evil 6 LE, so not the most desirable of the lot but worth a penny. Might be worth seeing if i could score anymore while there. I need to wait until after damn kids stop coming to door around 8 though =]

Maybe i could sweeten deal with cashier since my membership is expired.

I'd be interested in a Luigi Mansion 2 guide to trade for. I have a few guides willing to trade for it.

I myself picked up RE Revelations and Mario&Luigi @ GS. Didn't seem to have any others...not sure, seemed like they were holding back. I'll go dumpster diving tomorrow.

Thank you for who ever bumped this.
This is what I could only bring my 1st trip, the rest is in the trunk of my car, so I have not done a thourough account yet. All LE/HC

Injustice (Collector's) x4
Last of Us (Collector's) x2
Resident Evil 6 LE x1
Skyrim Legendary Hardcover x2
Wind Waker LE x1
Disgaea D2 HC x1
Ni No Kuni HC x1

been a lone time baby, god I miss the feeling

Got RE 6 LE and Borderlands 2 LE

Already have Borderlands though, so going into trade pile. Really was hoping for Last of Us and Skyrim LEs.....boo,

I managed to get a Injustice, Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 and Resident Evil 6 - all CE.  Was really looking for either Tomb Raider or Last of Us, so if anyone has extras and wants to trade let me know.  

Hey do the

Disgaea D2
Ni No Kuni

guides come other than hardcover? The ones I was able to get are hardcover but doesn't say limited/special edition or anything?

And are there any 3DS guides not miniture? I got the animal crossing and mario & luigi dream team don't match my other guides.

I got a Skyrim Legendary and Last of Us Soft Cover (both) are for trade, if anyone gets a Wind Waker HD LE Hardcover. Both can be yours!

I just bought a Last of US CE guide during the half off sale! Can't find the receipt though :(

Did find a place with a Wind Waker LE guide though. Getting that first thing in the morning.

My first attempt at dumpster diving was a bust LOL. Found tons of guides but my nearest GS does actually destroy them before tossing. I still grabbed a few so it was not a complete waste.

My first attempt at dumpster diving was a bust LOL. Found tons of guides but my nearest GS does actually destroy them before tossing. I still grabbed a few so it was not a complete waste.
I've never done it before, but I looked into a Gamestop dumpster today. Someone dumped a bunch of bottles of motor oil on top of everything. They also threw away a mattress. Some illegal dumper either made off with a bunch of guides or totally fucked my luck. I could feel there were some really heavy boxes on the bottom underneath all of the motor oil and gamestop displays. They were full of guides I'm sure. I took this as a sign that I'm not meant to dumpster dive. There were also some ants in there. Pretty disgusting.

I don't want to do it because there are lots of big cockroaches in this area that appear at night.

I'm almost certain that the dumpsters are at the right distance for me to approach them, but I've never seen them.

Any hope of these still being out there today? I was on "door duty" for Halloween yesterday and I completely missed the drop. Plus only like 4 people came all day lol.

I got a few that haven't been mentioned yet.

Diablo III CE

Bioshock Infinite

Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD CE

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Also got:

Assassin's Creed III

Dead Island Riptide

Halo 4

COD:BO2

Epic Mickey 2

They had everything staked behind the counter.  I regretted not getting more, so I went back 10 minutes later.  That is when she called her manager, and he told her no.  I am such a bonehead.

I picked up a couple of guides - Ni no kuni was the one I really wanted and I managed to get one. Still wanted Skyrim, Borderlands, and Windwaker but mainly ni no kuni since I actually liked that game. 

PS: I seriously CANNOT believe Windwaker CE dropped...that game has been out for what 2 weeks? Gamestop really is ditching last gen fast lol.

Edit: wow totally didnt even realize its not even last gen lol, I stand corrected

I picked up a couple of guides - Ni no kuni was the one I really wanted and I managed to get one. Still wanted Skyrim, Borderlands, and Windwaker but mainly ni no kuni since I actually liked that game.

PS: I seriously CANNOT believe Windwaker CE dropped...that game has been out for what 2 weeks? Gamestop really is ditching last gen fast lol.
That Wind Waker is for the Wii U...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23256]
I was surprised too. Here is the receipt, though.

Came out in September, I guess. She said that some were going to be moved to stores that could move the product, but that seemed shady.

My store did held my order, but dude did some magic and made it ring up 9.99 for the Last of Us soft cover. FUUUU. Ask him to hold it on til tomorrow hopefully he isn't there. 

I was able to get a disgaea guide. I wanted a ni no kuni guide but the guy there said he took the last one home yesterday. That's what I get for being slow.

Was only able to get The Last of Us soft cover guide after visiting three different stores. The first store had the LE ones, but did not sell it to me. They did give me the key chain for it though since it was already open. But got everything for free, so I can't complain.

All the years I've been on this site and I've never figured out how to actually find these penny guides. I feel like a failure.
It's extremely difficult and luck based (or knowing someone who works at a gamestop). I hit up the 4 on my way home off the highway and every single one of them had cleared out their stock and trashed them or sent them back.

It's extremely difficult and luck based (or knowing someone who works at a gamestop). I hit up the 4 on my way home off the highway and every single one of them had cleared out their stock and trashed them or sent them back.
Which all around explains why I've never found one. I don't even think any of the stores around here had a Wind Waker CE guide anyway so moot point I'm sure.

WOOT!!!!!!

Very happy. i got three of theguides I wanted. 

Got Borderlands CE, Zelda Windwaker CE, and Ni No Kuni CE guides. All of them were still shrink wrapped so I am very happy. Thanks for the updates on the drops. Much appreciated.

im going to check my gamestop tomorrow but considering that it rained like hell today.  the dumpster will be destroyed and my pennied luck sucks.  id kill to get a borderlands guide.  already got a free ni no kuni from namco due to all the fiasco stuff.  hoping i can get a skyrim legendary guide too.

Went to 3 stores, got lucky at one but the rep had to call the manager to confirm they could sell them.  Got the ok and got M&L:DT, ACIII CE, Pokémon B/W CE and FFXIII-2 for a penny each.  Unfortunately, no Ni No Kuni nor Skyrim.  Would have been great to get one of those.  Passed on a ripped RE6 CE.

Damn I think someone was dumpster diving before me when i got there. I saw a bunch of empty boxes on the ground. Oh well. No go on guides on my first ever dumpster dive lol, but i was able to grab a few larger posters so i didn't go home empty handed.

bpbv.jpg

mg0m.jpg

1o7h.jpg

hpns.jpg

1ce2.jpg

xsb1.jpg

bread's done
Back