Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this topic brought back memories for me.  I remember the days of rolling into multiple Best Buys with nothing but change in my pocket, grabbing a shopping cart, and literally rolling out with the bottom of the cart full of guides.  Then I'd turn around and trade the guides in to local game shops for $2 credit per guide.  This practice of pennying guides and the Circuit City unadvertised $5 clearance funded most of my Gamecube and PS2 collection.

The cashiers at BB would always look at me in amazement when I'd come up with a cart full of guides that would ring up as a penny, and I'd always just smile and say, "I love clearance sales."  They'd say something like, "First time I've ever seen someone pay for anything here with quarters/dimes/nickels!  You can't even buy candy for that!"  I'd thank them and leave.

I think my record was either 54 or 58 guides at one store in one purchase.

I miss those days.

[quote name="nosalenobuy" post="11665181" timestamp="1396558191"]Thank you for the information. I bought almost all from the list today for a penny each.[/quote]I just went to Best Buy and GTA 5 CE rung up for full price price. Can you post a picture or scan of your receipt marking out unique information.

I was just bored and had 2 hrs to kill before meeting up with my friend for that awesome movie.  I did hide the last GTA V CE in a pile of Assassin Creed 3 guides.  As for the gamestop penny guides didn't see any and they were stupid abundant at 2 of them so ja.

Not a great deal, but grabbed animal crossing new leaf for $10.99 at best buy . Should come in handy for my kids when they have questions about the game and I'm at work.

One gamestop refused to sell me the Mario CD guide for less than $20, another store a little out of the way gave me two for $.02. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Is there different Disney Infiniti guides? I checked one last night and it was full price. I'm guessing it's just my Gamestop not dropping prices as I've never found them lower than MSRP.

Sorry if this is old news, I didn't see it.

BestBuy penny guides:

NCAA Football 13: The Official Player's Guide (Game Guide)
Max Payne 3 (Signature Series Game Guide)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Official Strategy Guide)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Signature Series (Game Guide)
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Signature Series Game Guide)
The Sims 3: Pets Expansion Pack (Game Guide)
Battlefield 3 Collector's Edition (Game Guide)
Saints Row: The Third - Studio Edition (Game Guide)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Game Guide)
Sleeping Dogs (Official Game Guide)
Ninja Gaiden 3 (Game Guide)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (Game Guide)
The Sims 3: Showtime Expansion Pack (Game Guide)
Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition (Game Guide)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Game Guide)

As of this writing, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Sims Showtime are still available for shipping.

Edit: Looks like at least a few of them were mentioned on February 19th. BTW, credit where it is due, ZombiesWorld posted a link to the ME guide in the GoW Ascension thread, but that was sold out by the time I got in, so I searched for others.

Hey, just noticed this thread today. From the wording of the title, I just thought it was a guide on finding reduced price items. Anyway, a kind person alerted me of guides selling for a penny a few days ago on Best Buy's website. I placed an order for all of them. I got some today. Tom Clancey's Ghost Recon and Saints Row The Third. They were in great condition.

Is there different Disney Infiniti guides? I checked one last night and it was full price. I'm guessing it's just my Gamestop not dropping prices as I've never found them lower than MSRP.
Yes, there are multiple versions.

Here's the original:

Disney_Infinity_strategy_guides.jpg

Here's the 2014 revised edition:

9780804162739_p0_v12_s260x420.JPG

Just got another shipment of strategy guides in. Sims 3, Madden NFL 13, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Sleeping Dogs. That makes 6 out of the 9 sets of strategy guides I ordered that have been received.

This is such a great website. It is a shame it took this long for me to find out about it.

Just got another shipment of strategy guides in. Sims 3, Madden NFL 13, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Sleeping Dogs. That makes 6 out of the 9 sets of strategy guides I ordered that have been received.

This is such a great website. It is a shame it took this long for me to find out about it.
Where are you ordering guides from? Or is this a joke?

Where are you ordering guides from? Or is this a joke?
Presumably Best Buy based on guessed's post from earlier. They may have been available for a limited time at $0.01, after guessed posted I ordered one ($2 including shipping) but it was cancelled.

Congratulations to Eternal Session for scoring some, although bragging about it to the folks who missed out won't make you the most popular guy in the world...

It was Best Buy's website maybe about a week ago? First posted in another thread about 12:30 AM PST, there were maybe around 10 guides listed (Eternal Session has listed most of them). But about an hour later most of them were not available for shipping online (plus shipping for each was about $2 or $3 if you didn't have Elite status free shipping (which is why I didn't didn't anything).

All in all, YMMV as usual.

Presumably Best Buy based on guessed's post from earlier. They may have been available for a limited time at $0.01, after guessed posted I ordered one ($2 including shipping) but it was cancelled.

Congratulations to Eternal Session for scoring some, although bragging about it to the folks who missed out won't make you the most popular guy in the world...
Sorry. I really was not bragging, though. I was giving a status update. There were a few people who were wondering if these guides were going to be shipped or not. Since I got some, I was stating that I received them so that other people could have a little piece of mind as to whether or not they would get it. I apologize if it came off as bragging.

It was Best Buy's website maybe about a week ago? First posted in another thread about 12:30 AM PST, there were maybe around 10 guides listed (Eternal Session has listed most of them). But about an hour later most of them were not available for shipping online (plus shipping for each was about $2 or $3 if you didn't have Elite status free shipping (which is why I didn't didn't anything).

All in all, YMMV as usual.
Well, I do not have free shipping either. So what I did was I bought a $25 item as filler. I am going to return it as soon as I get it. I think that should be alright.

So the actually shipped me a Saints Row 3 guide and it came in a box about the size of the Titanfall CE.  Opened it up and it was a PC copy of SR3.  I guess that's an upgrade?

Silly Best Buy. They cancelled my order for a penny guide I ordered when a bunch came in stock about two weeks ago. I just got an email with a $10 promo code.

Had anyone checked GTA V, Zelda: A link between Worlds, or AC IV?

Manager offered to sell them all to me for $10 each. I'm thinking they were pennied, but he didn't want to just give them to me...

Edit: Sorry, it was Diablo 3, not AC IV.

Had anyone checked GTA V, Zelda: A link between Worlds, or AC IV?

Manager offered to sell them all to me for $10 each. I'm thinking they were pennied, but he didn't want to just give them to me...
Those CE guides pennied already at GS, so yeah, he was avoiding just giving them to you.

I should also mention that this was at BB, and only the Zelda was CE.
At Best Buy since new drops due not penny (as Vigilante pointed out) Sometimes I've had the MOD offer to sell them for $5 - $10 to be rid of it as opposed to RTV.

also if you find old enough guides that originally did penny, they still ring up as $0.01, I found the Prince of Persia guide a few / several months back.

At Best Buy since new drops due not penny (as Vigilante pointed out) Sometimes I've the MOD offer to sell them for $5 - $10 to be rid of it as opposed to RTV.

also if you find old enough guides that originally did penny, they still ring up as $0.01, I found the Prince of Persia guide a few / several months back.
Good to know, there is a Halo 4 CE guide they keep tossing back on the old strategy guide pile. Will speak to the manager about it when I pick up Mario Kart 8 this Friday. Will also do this with the GTAV CE thats been lost amidst the old guides.

bread's done
Back