Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed some drops on BBY site, but I don't follow this thread that much nowadays, so if it's not news, please ignore. 

Street Fighter X Tekken (Signature Series Game Guide)

Mario Kart 7 (Game Guide)

Prototype 2 (Game Guide)

Silent Hill: Downpour (Game Guide)

Mass Effect 3 (Game Guide)

Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide (Game Guide)

Spec Ops: The Line (Signature Series Game Guide)

Battlefield 3 (Game Guide)

Resident Evil 6 Limited Edition (Game Guide)

BBY link

Picked up from TRU $0.01 each

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (standard)

Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver v1

Kirby's Epic yarn (spiral)

PlayStation All- Stars Battle Royale

If I remember right the main source for this article is a CAG. I'm sure someone here can link to his Dumpster diving thread. I searched a little but couldn't find it. TKSJohn aka dealseeker I think it is.

I scanned GTA V and AC IV at TRU yesterday at the self-serve scanner. Both came up "item not recognized" (or whatever the message was, don't recall for sure). Worker scanned them with a handheld, and they came up full price. Bummer.

I scanned GTA V and AC IV at TRU yesterday at the self-serve scanner. Both came up "item not recognized" (or whatever the message was, don't recall for sure). Worker scanned them with a handheld, and they came up full price. Bummer.
For some retarded reason certain guides at TRU(and BB) are in the system using their ISBN even though most use their upc

I've never tried this myself, but I know of some fellow CAGs who have taken the 'dive' for penny guides:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/inside-the-secret-world-of-gamestop-dumpster-diving
I watch some vids on youtube from time to time about ppl who get good game finds at garage sales & thrift stores, so for a bit it started recommending some dumpster diving videos to me as well. I watched a couple, couldn't watch any more. The whole time I'm watching a grown man dig around in trash I just keep thinking "have a little self respect!"

TRU

ZombiU

Nintendo Land

Fallout New Vegas

New Super Mario Bros. 2

I hope they will penny Halo 4 soon, cuz trying to find other guides behind 30ish Halo 4 guides are tough :wall:

I have a sealed copy of GTA 5 Guide if anyone had anything for trade. Mainly I'm looking for the Ni No Kuni Guide. Don't care if it's sealed.

I'm speculating that both Watch Dogs guides pennied at GS because they are no longer on the website.
crap I didn't take a screenshot of the availability page, thinking that the dark souls 2 guide should penny first. I'll try to find one tomorrow.

Lightning Returns CE and Titanfall(soft cover) pennied as well.

any news on TRU?

crap I didn't take a screenshot of the availability page, thinking that the dark souls 2 guide should penny first. I'll try to find one tomorrow.

Lightning Returns CE and Titanfall(soft cover) pennied as well.

any news on TRU?
Which store has lighting returns and titanfall pennied out

$0.01. Try doing an in-store pickup to see for yourself.
It is laughable that after all of the friggin' hoopala and singling out ONE MEMBER over penny guides being dead that we are still getting them in 2014.

Of course, it is harder to find them now, maybe. At least it will keep fair weather customers and hoarders profiting off these guides which were never meant to be sold in the first place.

You're leaving out vital information about that situation.  That one member wrote a letter to Best Buy which very likely led them to take steps to permanently remove the option to be able to sell .01 guides.  Before that, Gamestop had already heavily curtailed the availability of .01 guides at most of their stores.  At this point, .01 guides are available only technically speaking as far as quantity goes.  For all intents and purposes, .01 guides are dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is laughable that after all of the friggin' hoopala and singling out ONE MEMBER over penny guides being dead that we are still getting them in 2014.

Of course, it is harder to find them now, maybe. At least it will keep fair weather customers and hoarders profiting off these guides which were never meant to be sold in the first place.
this post is now so hilarious considering who posted it.

^^

And while i can't get anything at my GS's, hopefully that means i can get a Lightning Returns CE a little cheaper on eBay/Amazon now.

bread's done
Back