Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I called ahead to see if they had them. Three stores did not but the 4th did. I grabbed them said they were pennies out and they said cool and they even spotted me the three pennies. Free.

This was my first time to do this. Pretty cool.

Wish I could have grabbed ghosts or black flag but everywhere was empty. Also, GtA v was ringing out full price, how'd you get that?

I couldn't find any Dark Souls 2 guides while I got multiple copies of Bayonetta 2 :wall:

It's really weird because I'm pretty sure the closest 5 stores had at least 8 copies of Dark Souls 2 last week :cry:

Adding to the list:

Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition

So here's the list so far of confirmed ones from Wednesday:

Bayonetta 2
Last of Us Remastered
Disney Infinity 1.0 Revised
Sunset Overdrive
Dark Souls II CE
FFXIII-2 Lightning Returns (softcover)
Ultra Street Fighter IV
The Sims 4 (softcover) (maybe HC too?)

I'm guessing FF X/X-2 Remastered guide also based on it not being on the website anymore.

Hmm, I wouldn't mind FF X/X-2 Remastered, although I think the content is pretty much (exactly?) the same as the originals?

I'm pretty sure The Sims 4 HC was pennied out as well.

wow dark souls ii ce - gonna be so rare some day and fetch $100+ easily.

time for dumpster diving lol. last time i did it, i got like 6x dark souls CE.

wow dark souls ii ce - gonna be so rare some day and fetch $100+ easily.

time for dumpster diving lol. last time i did it, i got like 6x dark souls CE.
Were they numbered or something?

I thought that was one of the ones that they produced a metric shit ton of. (unlike, say Fallout 3 GOTY CE)

Were they numbered or something?

I thought that was one of the ones that they produced a metric shit ton of. (unlike, say Fallout 3 GOTY CE)
I have no idea. I know i sold like 5x dark souls ce (still sealed) for $100 shipped each on Amazon about year ago so im hoping dark souls ii ce will too.

Don't want to be a downer but I remember the days when I went flying to the store to get penny guides.  When I saw this yesterday, I wanted sunset overdrive but the only thing I could think of was how many guides I have piled up in my my game room and basement.

Don't want to be a downer but I remember the days when I went flying to the store to get penny guides. When I saw this yesterday, I wanted sunset overdrive but the only thing I could think of was how many guides I have piled up in my my game room and basement.
You should go down to your basement and see which guides are valuable. Some that you have right now might worth $$$.

For me, I usually donate (like goodwill or a local thrift store) guides that are worthless to me. Because all they do is taking up space, then I resell the rest (some I collect like CE/LE/JRPG guides) to pay for my gaming habits.

True Story.

I had like 157x World of Warcraft Azeroth Maps (got them from Bestbuy.com (in-store too) for .01 cent each). I was actually surprised that bestbuy.com actually shipped me 99x Maps for $1+$13 shipping costs = $14 to my house lol. About four years later or so, I decided to go through my stack of guides in my closet and garage and came across a box of WOW Azeroth Maps. I then walked to my PC to see how much they are worth. Just say I ended up flipping all of them for $4700+ via eBay and Amazon.

Nice Post Darby , went to my local ( already had DS and DI )

[attachment=10731:TP9RZ3C6.jpg]

Glad to see some activity here :)

Nice Post Darby , went to my local ( already had DS and DI )

attachicon.gif
TP9RZ3C6.jpg

Glad to see some activity here :)
Nice might drop by my local to see if they have any in stock

Just called another GameStop and he responded "all the ones you are naming were recently pennies out and were taken to the.... Taken to be destroyed"....

Think he was about to say dumpster.

It's been raining heavily for 12 hours... And I probably wouldn't dig in a dumpster unless there was $1000 worth of brand new resellable guides.

Just called another GameStop and he responded "all the ones you are naming were recently pennies out and were taken to the.... Taken to be destroyed"....

Think he was about to say dumpster.

It's been raining heavily for 12 hours... And I probably wouldn't dig in a dumpster unless there was $1000 worth of brand new resellable guides.
You weren't supposed to call...

With Best Buy dead, I haven't gotten a free guide in years... except Super Mario 3D Land that I got lucky on at TRU. GS seems to ditch them the day they get these lists instead of sitting on them for a few days like they used to. oh well

I couldn't find any Dark Souls 2 guides while I got multiple copies of Bayonetta 2 :wall:

Adding to the list:
I'll trade for either one of those.

It's really weird because I'm pretty sure the closest 5 stores had at least 8 copies of Dark Souls 2 last week :cry:

Adding to the list:

I'd be interested in trading for a Bayonetta 2 guide.

Don't want to be a downer but I remember the days when I went flying to the store to get penny guides. When I saw this yesterday, I wanted sunset overdrive but the only thing I could think of was how many guides I have piled up in my my game room and basement.
Any RPG strategy guides are going to be worth a good bit of money. You can least nab a few bucks in most cases, but some you can accrue more than that for. JRPG guides make the most cash.

Yeah, I'm up for trading for any of the drops since my stores denied me. I have a ton of guides listed in the trading thread. PM me if anything is of interest please.

Well local store ripped off the cover, then gave me the cover and the guide.  Now I got 2 Sunset Overdrive (plus paypal) to trade for other guides.

Unbelievable, it's been probably 3 years since I got a penny guide, but today I got Bayonetta 2 HC and Sunset Overdrive with my $9.99 steelbook copy of Beyond: Two Souls PS3.  In fact they were stickered at $0.01.  Thanks for the heads up guys!

Found Sunset Overdrive yesterday... two copies at one store. Manager said he couldn't sell them to me. I asked "Aren't you just going to throw them away? Can I have them?" He said "No" and threw them in the trash can behind the counter.

Jackass.

They sent a memo out recently and Im so mad. No more penny guides for me at my two favorite shops. They aren't even giving them to the employees by me. Covers ripped, trashed or sent back. Let's hope the conversions are not touched.

Not guides, but in addition to socom confrontation, mag ps3 is pennied. (both used games)
Maybe i'll finally jump in and see what all the fuss is about. My best friend plays both these games all the time. I called him up twice last week and asked him to play COD with me, but he told me he was too busy playing MAG. Maybe now we can finally reconnect.

Maybe i'll finally jump in and see what all the fuss is about. My best friend plays both these games all the time. I called him up twice last week and asked him to play COD with me, but he told me he was too busy playing MAG. Maybe now we can finally reconnect.
Socom confrontation is nuked afaik. I think the servers have been down for several years.

He was messing with you, Mag has been shut down since January 28th.

Socom confrontation is nuked afaik. I think the servers have been down for several years.
Once you hit start on the open screen, the game times out when it can't connect to servers and then goes back to the open screen. Total Frisbee.

Pretty sure MAG is Frisbee fodder too.
Yup. Never got it, but I've heard you can't do anything without servers in this one too.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a Titanfall hardcover tomorrow when I stop by GS.

bread's done
Back