Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Big pennies today!

Gamestop 10/21:

Witcher 3 CE

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Official Hoenn Region

GTA V Revised and Expanded

Zelda Majoras Mask

Splatoon

Final Fantasy Type 0 HD CE

Super Smash Bros

Zelda Majoras Mask CE

Lego Jurassic World

Batman AK CE

Big pennies today!

Gamestop 10/21:

Witcher 3 CE

Zelda Majoras Mask

Splatoon

Super Smash Bros

Zelda Majoras Mask CE

Lego Jurassic World

Batman AK CE
Thanks. I initially got all excited then realized that I already own all of the guides I'd actually want for myself (W3 CE, Type-0 HD CE, and technically Majora's Mask though I have the Versusbooks guide for the N64 version). I guess I wouldn't mind that GTA V guide to replace my "vanilla" CE guide, though.

Time to work the charm on my GameStop associates. Maybe score some of these before they go back to the "warehouse" aka the dumpster
It's funny how random stores are. One store near me the manager lets employees have guides and also gives them to friends as well. Another store literally one mile away, the manager requires the employees to cut up guides with a box cutter and tosses them.

Big pennies today!

Gamestop 10/21:

Witcher 3 CE

Zelda Majoras Mask

Splatoon

Super Smash Bros

Zelda Majoras Mask CE

Lego Jurassic World

Batman AK CE
Thank you for the Drop really looking to see if I can get Witcher or Majoras Mask today

Not a single one of those in the OC, either someone is sweeping up everything within a 40 mile radius or my district does not list its guides as purchasable on line

Dear God that's an amazing drop. At this point I just don't even know what to do to get my claws on them. The rejection rate is so high it's almost just a massive tease to see these posts.

I struck out on all of my hold requests. One store was even kind enough to tell me they are cancelling my hold request because they are "throwing them out" and quickly changed the story to IDS will collect them

The only store that shows any instock near me is the store that you have to pay for parking at. That's how you can tell that there is a legit cheap ass in the area.

Thanks Darby was able to get

Witcher 3 CE

Pokémon

Splatoon

Zelda Majoras Mask CE

Lego Jurassic World

Batman AK CE

They weren't listed on the site for hold, but a quick call to my friend and she had them ready for pick up :)

Several showed up as "in stock" at my local store so I submitted hold requests through the website. Got a call a few minutes later from the store letting me know they were already gone. Oh, well. It was an exciting ten minutes.

Just went to a store and gta and final fantasy hd rang up full price. Never happened before...super bizarre.
They probably noticed the penny price and overrode it to the regular price. Happened to me more times than I can count by Jr. Detectives. Of course I always got them in the end by buying them when the Jr. Detectives weren't around and a less knowledgeable cashier was working.

Guess I have to hope Five Below gets those CE guides in.  Really would have been nice to pick up some of them for $5 to $10 and penny guides are nonexistent at the Gamestops in my area.

They probably noticed the penny price and overrode it to the regular price. Happened to me more times than I can count by Jr. Detectives. Of course I always got them in the end by buying them when the Jr. Detectives weren't around and a less knowledgeable cashier was working.
Nope they rang up full price. Even went back to another cashier to price check another one (Lego) and yup also full price. Cashier didn't hit one button, just scanned and no penny. Like I said really really weird.

Today was my first attempt at trying to pick up the penny guides.  I went to the first gamestop on lunch break and the guy there said they had some in the back that they were just pulled but wouldn't be able to sell them to me since they have to go back to corporate.

I then hit up another store on the way home and they had Pokemon, GTA V, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros, and Batman.  I picked up all of those and placed them on the counter and the gamestop associate said that he couldn't sell them to me.  I then said they were on the shelf and should be able to be sold but he persisted to say no and that they would have to be sent back to corporate.  He also mentioned that he could get fired if he ended up selling them to me.  Is there an official policy on not selling these when they drop this low?

Today was my first attempt at trying to pick up the penny guides. I went to the first gamestop on lunch break and the guy there said they had some in the back that they were just pulled but wouldn't be able to sell them to me since they have to go back to corporate.

I then hit up another store on the way home and they had Pokemon, GTA V, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros, and Batman. I picked up all of those and placed them on the counter and the gamestop associate said that he couldn't sell them to me. I then said they were on the shelf and should be able to be sold but he persisted to say no and that they would have to be sent back to corporate. He also mentioned that he could get fired if he ended up selling them to me. Is there an official policy on not selling these when they drop this low?
The drop to .01 is not really supposed to be a price drop; rather its an indication that item needs to be pulled and destroyed. GS, or any place is NOT supposed to sell those at a penny. They pull them, destroy them, toss them, then get credited back by the publisher based on how many were destroyed. Yes, this is a policy that is supposed to be enforced. However, it depends who you get. I have been to many Gamestops that could not care less what happens to the guides once they hit .01, while other GSs threaten things like termination etc.

Could that person have lost their job? doubtful, but I suppose it technically could happen if you have a district manager who is strict enough.

The drop to .01 is not really supposed to be a price drop; rather its an indication that item needs to be pulled and destroyed. GS, or any place is NOT supposed to sell those at a penny. They pull them, destroy them, toss them, then get credited back by the publisher based on how many were destroyed. Yes, this is a policy that is supposed to be enforced. However, it depends who you get. I have been to many Gamestops that could not care less what happens to the guides once they hit .01, while other GSs threaten things like termination etc.

Could that person have lost their job? doubtful, but I suppose it technically could happen if you have a district manager who is strict enough.
Yeah, depends on if the DM is a hardass or not. Of all the employees that have sold me penny guides, none have been fired for it.

Picked up the Witcher 3 CE that I got a hold on. Too bad I couldn't get a Batman CE.

Yeah, depends on if the DM is a hardass or not. Of all the employees that have sold me penny guides, none have been fired for it.

Picked up the Witcher 3 CE that I got a hold on. Too bad I couldn't get a Batman CE.
Damn I was looking for it today and couldn't get it I was only able to get a Smash Bros, GTA V, and Majoras Mask, if anyone can get an extra let me know (Witcher 3 )

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I will try my luck at a 3rd store tomorrow.

Nope they rang up full price. Even went back to another cashier to price check another one (Lego) and yup also full price. Cashier didn't hit one button, just scanned and no penny. Like I said really really weird.
Did they scan the barcode on the back of the book, or the gamestop price sticker? It happened to me once, and it turned out the manager purposely put wrong price stickers on pennied guides, so you would have to pay $20 for it plus you couldn't return it since it was the wrong one.

Oh darn! I skipped right over the Witcher CE being on this the other day!!! My store had 3 of them but probably long gone now! I've been waiting specifically for that one because I wanted the GS exclusive map that comes with it!! Anyone happened to get an extra one of those before they were pulled? I'll pay 100x what you spent and then shipping! :)

I tried a gamestop today and managed to get  Final Fantasy Type 0 CE. The girl was quite nice. She even went back to check for the witcher 3 CE, which was the only other guide I was really interested in.   I haven't been able to get a guide from that store in years.

Found one of the .01 cent Witcher 3 guides in Massachusetts. Guy said it was my lucky day. Don't have the witcher yet as I was hoping to get it on Black Friday. But it appears some of these books are still floating around.

Was thinking about getting the guide, but decided on just the Book of Tyrael.
Penny guides are almost useless for our area now. Even when I go on different people shift no one wants to let them go. Thinking it's starting to be more enforced and employees rather not take risk. I pretty much don't even try any more.

Found one of the .01 cent Witcher 3 guides in Massachusetts. Guy said it was my lucky day. Don't have the witcher yet as I was hoping to get it on Black Friday. But it appears some of these books are still floating around.
Did you happen to get more than 1? None of the stores in MA I stopped at had one. I just want the GS exclusive map that's in one :)

Penny guides are almost useless for our area now. Even when I go on different people shift no one wants to let them go. Thinking it's starting to be more enforced and employees rather not take risk. I pretty much don't even try any more.
My GS friends who are more than happy to hook me up with anything they legitimately can told me that they are required to send them back to corporate now, so they can't sell them.

After my kids soccer game thought id look at the nearby Best Buy and found these tagged on the shelf for a penny

[attachment=18033:XY3T2V4Q.jpg]

All my Best Buys have gotten rid of their guides already. I was there 30 minutes ago FINALLY preordering BO-III. Checked, and nothing. Asked if they had any guides since they now have dudes who hover over you wanting to help get that sale... He said no, all they have is Triforce guides and Halo 5 guides.

bread's done
Back