Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, for those who weren't around then:

IATCG used to be a CAG. Got tons of penny guides. One day, he got denied when he was trying to buy a huge stack of them for like less than a quarter. Got denied. He got pissed, called the publishers saying Best Buy isn't destroying them but selling them for a penny -- obviously trying to ruin it for everyone else because he couldn't partake. Around the same time, he did some other stuff to get himself banned. Something about accusing Cheapy or CAG of reputation or money or something, I forget. He gets banned right around the same week. He then goes and rants on SD. This was years ago.

I think he was asking for advice about dating some ladyfriend, took none of our advice and wore some stupid shit like shoes he found in the trash or some shit. I forget the details about that too.
You're combining iatcg and Gargus.

Iatcg has to be a dumpster diver who gets multiples of these from the trash consistently. Now that these are pennied again people are getting in on his guides before they are tossed so he wants things changed back. This has to be the only logical explanation.

I love how he won't just say why he is doing it. He keeps explaining how no one is suppose to get these, how things changed etc but doesn't mention what his motive is.

1537097 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood LE
1599401 Donkey Kong
2045167 DA2 LE
1600384 Epic Mickey
1408457 FNV CE

If anyone is bored, you could see if those still ring up as .01 at bb.

They were all pennied pre-not for sale era.

Didn't he get beat to the store by someone local that was selling them at a flea market or something? I mean set an alarm or something. So he wanted to ruin that part of their little business and didn't realize he was working on blowing it for everyone. I think the truly mind blowing thing about it was he was in charge of the penny guide thread at the time.
My favorite memory of IATCG was him incessantly repeating the 'don't call the store, you'll ruin the deal!' mantra.

Didn't he get beat to the store by someone local that was selling them at a flea market or something? I mean set an alarm or something. So he wanted to ruin that part of their little business and didn't realize he was working on blowing it for everyone. I think the truly mind blowing thing about it was he was in charge of the penny guide thread at the time.
SMH. I have a ton of hoarders in my area and would love for them to not get in on any more deals, but telling the company that their items are ringing up for one cent? Or telling any company about anything regarding deals? How stupid can you get? I'm actually of that other poster's opinion. That he owns stock in the company. Nobody could be this thick.

I went back to the Best Buy that had a bunch of Batman, SSB, and Witcher 3 guides 2 days ago and they were pulled off the shelves. The one across town had a Witcher 3 and Batman paperback and the teller was just like "Oh, a penny. Also a penny. Would you like to donate to blah blah... you can even donate a penny!"

Tried to buy Splatoon guide today but it was out of the system.  I had no problem buying guides at the same store last week.  

SMH. I have a ton of hoarders in my area and would love for them to not get in on any more deals, but telling the company that their items are ringing up for one cent? Or telling any company about anything regarding deals? How stupid can you get? I'm actually of that other poster's opinion. That he owns stock in the company. Nobody could be this thick.
Yeah, but even if he owns stock in the company, I really doubt that selling a few guides for pennies would really drop their stock. If anything, it might attract more people to the stores to buy a few guides few were already buying, and maybe get something else for the trip. I'm pretty sure he'll realize this too. My guess? He has like schizophrenia or something. Nothing to laugh at though if that's true.

I found a GTA V Exanded Guide tonight and tried to buy - it scanned "NOT FOR SALE" and the gaming guy was like "oh shit these were supposed to be pulled off earlier, it's part of a deal we have with the publisher to not sell them like this."    As I walked away I noticed he had a stack of 3 or 4 guides next to the register, and I heard him say to a coworker "hey can you bring these in the back, we had to pull these guides today."  

I was like you gotta be shitting me, dude actually did it LOL  so funny considering he "hardly spends any money there anymore" and 'will be taking his business other places" as he's said in previous posts on the BB forums.  I couldn't resist seeing what other gems he wrote.

But hey, got that Ocarina of Time so not a total loss.

So I've ignored this thread since no Gamestops, Best Buys or TRUs have allowed me a penny guide sale in years, but BB is allowing them to slip thru the cracks again.

IATCG still trying to ruin penny guides at BB... :whistle2:(
IATCG clearly has some kind of mental issues. Anybody who gets this fixated on such an insignificant thing is in desperate need of an intervention and some prescribed medication.
I picture him in a dark shitty apartment full of stacks of guides and going from pile to pile hissing "My precioussssssss..." This guy has a serious obsession with guides getting pennied and not letting anyone get any of them anymore. I'm tempted to find his old bragging posts here or on SD and post them in his punk ass tattle tale thread. Spending that much time I don't have would be a slippery slope that could lead me to be the next penny guide Golum so I must be strong.

"My friend".... Lol. If he had any friends he wouldn't be so obsessed with penny guides.

Looks like it's over, friends. I scanned the Batman Arkham Knight hardcover guide and the Witcher 3 paperback guide and both of them rang up Item Not For Sale. They spent a good few minutes scanning the guides every way possible. Slow night. Anyway, it was a no-go.

Wow lol at what he says I swear this guy must have no real life

Apparently they changed things back in the new system to NOT FOR SALE or DO NOT SELL as that same buddy tried picking up a couple stragglers he left behind last week or so and the guides wouldn't ring up as $.01 anymore.

Survey says, "One more for the good guys!". LOL

Apparently they changed things back in the new system to NOT FOR SALE or DO NOT SELL as that same buddy tried picking up a couple stragglers he left behind last week or so and the guides wouldn't ring up as $.01 anymore.

IATCG \/\/\/\/

[attachment=18312:Arkham-KnightPennyGuideMeme.jpg]

I like he he constantly talks about "his buddy." It was probably just him getting the penny guides and wanting to dick over everyone else from getting them after he got his. What a tool.

You guys blame the wrong person.

There is a person in my community who has multiple penny guides he's trying to sell on Craigslist.

It's the people who take multiples or all the penny guides that ruined it.

I think there is enough blame to go around. He is definitely a big chunk of it. Don't be a sympathizer. Back in the golden days they would beg you to take excess stock. Then comes a guy who probably writes his local congressman for a myriad of reasons and local strategy guide retailers decrying the fact he's got his hat in hand and gets nadda. If I remember correctly he had multiple guides for sale and trade. Seriously, who takes the time to write letters like that? Outside of shooting flare guns jumping up and down on live television with a giant rock formation spelling out DO NOT SELL behind him what more could he do. I always enjoyed getting the guides. Is it worth someone's job ? No. Neat perk ? Yup. Sorry that someone pissed in his Corn flakes that he had to be compelled to ruin it for the rest of us. But why blame him. I'm lucky to still get the guides I want from time to time but there are others who aren't. Enough I'll get off the soapbox now. Not blame worthy craziness.

Uhh no retailers ever insisted on taking excess stock. Any one who has a stack of the same guides is a obvious tell tale sign they are reselling.

Thecheapestgamer used to hook up members here probably giving better offers then most. His disputes with the site is what made him vengeful in trying to sabotage the penny guides. That's because he contributed a lot towards them. I probably would do the same thing .

Lots of you would have Jack shit for penny guides without his contributions.

He probably reads these posts sees his name being spoken in vain and sabotage the guides.

Not to nitpick your one sided crusade for him. But in my area 3 retailers 1 BB and 2 GS did want you to take their excess. Took up space they couldn't give them away to their workers. Also the GS here would give the guides as a bonus to those who were buying the games associated with them. As for jack and shit , jack left and all you got was shit. I'm lucky enough to have a relative who was a DM . Everytime we visited , got guides posters shirts belt buckle wallets hats . You know what was done with most of it....wait for it...donated for no money to those in need. Be it the salvation army , local libraries, big brothers big sisters. Yeah shocking. I've kept my share and don't trade guides for money. I'll trade for other guides I've wanted. I'm lucky to have a good job that pays my bills and let's me take care of my family. So before your boner for CG goes limp. Just know we are all not money whores.

293344f48efe539b968f7883b2585494bf7426c9d092c7af894a1efd0b14aba4.jpg

Not to nitpick your one sided crusade for him. But in my area 3 retailers 1 BB and 2 GS did want you to take their excess. Took up space they couldn't give them away to their workers. Also the GS here would give the guides as a bonus to those who were buying the games associated with them. As for jack and shit , jack left and all you got was shit. I'm lucky enough to have a relative who was a DM . Everytime we visited , got guides posters shirts belt buckle wallets hats . You know what was done with most of it....wait for it...donated for no money to those in need. Be it the salvation army , local libraries, big brothers big sisters. Yeah shocking. I've kept my share and don't trade guides for money. I'll trade for other guides I've wanted. I'm lucky to have a good job that pays my bills and let's me take care of my family. So before your boner for CG goes limp. Just know we are all not money whores.
Yeah sure you take all the doubles of penny guides to salvation army and charity organizations so that other resellers don't get to them. It's not like leaving them for someone who can use them is the smarter idea. Also not the first time I'd heard that before.

Ha. I've got to say you are entertaining that is for sure. As for bring charitable, there are plenty of people who are ( seeing as your probably not) . Whoa I can make a whole FIVE AMERICAN DOLLARS !?!? Off of something that is a penny. You sir must be rich ! I'll gladly take some of that cash your stashing in your childhood Bedroom behind your throne made of DK Country Returns guides. Seriously it's like a dummy profile for CG. This has made me laugh while processing work. For that I thank you.

Uhh no retailers ever insisted on taking excess stock. Any one who has a stack of the same guides is a obvious tell tale sign they are reselling.

Thecheapestgamer used to hook up members here probably giving better offers then most. His disputes with the site is what made him vengeful in trying to sabotage the penny guides. That's because he contributed a lot towards them. I probably would do the same thing .

Lots of you would have Jack shit for penny guides without his contributions.

He probably reads these posts sees his name being spoken in vain and sabotage the guides.
Those are some heavily tinted rose-colored glasses you're looking through, to the point of being opaque.

Looks like it's over, friends. I scanned the Batman Arkham Knight hardcover guide and the Witcher 3 paperback guide and both of them rang up Item Not For Sale. They spent a good few minutes scanning the guides every way possible. Slow night. Anyway, it was a no-go.
I grabbed one last week and it rang up like that. It took 10 minutes, but eventually they just gave it to me for free. Bought a few blu rays too.

Was blocked on BB guides but I got more free CoD AW shirts and a Elder Scroll shirt at GS. I think the people at my local store don't even clear them out. Honestly questioning why Gamestop sells them if people don't buy them when the sticker says a penny sometimes.

12/9 GS:

Witcher 3 Soft Cover

Batman AK Soft Cover

Madden 16

EDIT: looks like the Xbox 360 Fallout 3 Point Lookout download token pennied out at some point recently.  Probably the same for the Mothership Zeta one too.

12/9 GS:

Witcher 3 Soft Cover

Batman AK Soft Cover

Madden 16

EDIT: looks like the Xbox 360 Fallout 3 Point Lookout download token pennied out at some point recently. Probably the same for the Mothership Zeta one too.
Is it worth it to do an in store hold on these or do they just get cancelled when the store opens? Would I be better off just showing up when they open and try to snag? Thanks

Is it worth it to do an in store hold on these or do they just get cancelled when the store opens? Would I be better off just showing up when they open and try to snag? Thanks
Depends on the store. None near me fulfill these holds now. Last time I placed some holds at stores 30+ miles away just to see and they fulfilled them. But I never picked them up.

It's always a crap shoot as to if they'll confirm or deny.

Doesn't hurt to try though.

Ran across a Wticher 3 guide but decided not to buy it TRU guides haven't dropped yet unless Black Ops 2 has.

Wow just caught up the last couple months. I missed some good guides and the IITCG talk. I always liked him. I'm a bit off and I felt like he was a kindred spirit. I know when I was banned from CAG b/c of someone who got a hold of a mod account, I thought "I'm going to burn this shit down!" lol He wanted to be helpful and he was for the most part. He just lost it with the penny guides.

What others had said is true. At BB they used to call me "the penny guy" and would willingly give me a cart full of penny items to buy. Onve they even said I was doing them a favor by taking the stuff.

-Digression/storytime: When I was at a comic con I remember seeing "the toy hunter" who now has his own tv show selling BB pennied items in his booth. He saw me looking at one of them just to see his pricing structure and he asked me if I was going to buy the item. I told him, no I was just curious what you had it priced for. He said: That is a great price, you'll never find that cheaper" I then said. "We both know these are penny items from BB." :lol:

Wow just caught up the last couple months. I missed some good guides and the IITCG talk. I always liked him. I'm a bit off and I felt like he was a kindred spirit. I know when I was banned from CAG b/c of someone who got a hold of a mod account, I thought "I'm going to burn this shit down!" lol He wanted to be helpful and he was for the most part. He just lost it with the penny guides.

What others had said is true. At BB they used to call me "the penny guy" and would willingly give me a cart full of penny items to buy. Onve they even said I was doing them a favor by taking the stuff.

-Digression/storytime: When I was at a comic con I remember seeing "the toy hunter" who now has his own tv show selling BB pennied items in his booth. He saw me looking at one of them just to see his pricing structure and he asked me if I was going to buy the item. I told him, no I was just curious what you had it priced for. He said: That is a great price, you'll never find that cheaper" I then said. "We both know these are penny items from BB." :lol:
And his response...?

In my post Xmas shopping, went to TRU and found Super Mario World 3D miniguide @ 2 cents.

I also scanned DA:I, B:AK, Splatoon mini, MK8, still full price.

bread's done
Back