Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
was at my gamestop today and scanned like 20 guides nothing pennied.  anyone know of any news for gamestop or toysrus pennied??

1/27 Gamestop

MGS V CE

Need for Speed

Black Ops III CE

Tales of Zestiria CE

MGS V Regular Guide

Rise of the Tomb Raider CE

Everquest II Destiny of Velious PC game

Operation Flashpoint Red River PC game

Warhammer 40k Space Marine PC game

Resident Evil 5 PC game

Try to pick up in store and look at the price
I tried that on mobile and desktop websites and still shows full price. It's likely their web server is just serving me cached pages. I'll take your word for it. If pickup is still available when the price drops to a penny what's the consensus on trying the pickup option? More likely to get denied?

I tried that on mobile and desktop websites and still shows full price. It's likely their web server is just serving me cached pages. I'll take your word for it. If pickup is still available when the price drops to a penny what's the consensus on trying the pickup option? More likely to get denied?
Doesn't hurt to try.

Usually I get about 1/3 success rate on pick ups.

There might be more PC games that dropped too.  I don't have time to check for all of them right now, but after I get home from work tonight I'll compare the pages to see if any others did.

My store hold request for rise and tales were confirmed. Let's see how true that is in an hour or two when I can make it to the store..
I think it depends on who is working. I tried this at one store, hold was confirmed but she didn't sell it to me because she pulled her holds before she pulled the penny guides. I was told they get sent back to the "warehouse" and they could lose there job if they sell them. I got my bayonetta 2 guide for free this way when I found one on the shelf with no price sticker and the manager just gave it to me for no charge.

I think it depends on who is working. I tried this at one store, hold was confirmed but she didn't sell it to me because she pulled her holds before she pulled the penny guides. I was told they get sent back to the "warehouse" and they could lose there job if they sell them. I got my bayonetta 2 guide for free this way when I found one on the shelf with no price sticker and the manager just gave it to me for no charge.
Went to my store, the manager here is honestly amazingly nice, best GS I have ever been to besides the one I worked at many years ago.

I walk in, he asks what brings me in again which I find surprising since the last time I was there was months ago, so for him to remember was a nice surprise. I said not much just looking around and that I had a hold request that was confirmed ready for pickup.

He was like "oh yeah the guide", now I'm paraphrasing but he said that he got the request before the pull (just like your experience) but I must have gotten lucky because the website shouldn't have allowed the request. He then says "here ya go", didn't even charge me, just gave me them. I was like "SWEET(in my mind)". He then said they got a bunch of shirts and other clearance items in yesterday so I looked around and we started talking about Star Wars and everything.

One funny story was a woman was in the store about a week after the movie was out and just blurted out "I dunno what the big deal is...so and so this happens (she actually said it but to avoid pissing people off here, I am not going to say it, lol)" Everyone in the store got pissed off and he had to kick her out. The manager had not seen it yet so he was PISSED.

So overall I bought 2 shirts for my cousin (Red Hood and BB-8) that I hope are his size, a Kylo Ren color changing porcelain mug, Tales of Zesteria guide, and Rise of the Tomb Raider guide for like $9. IF he turned me down for the guides I probably would have walked out, but his awesomeness ensured another sale. If he worked anywhere other then GS I would shop there more often, sucks but GS has horrible prices sadly.

Got Tomb Raider! Guy said it shouldn't have been held since they aren't supposed to sell anything at that price point, but since someone made a mistake and didn't destroy it and I was here, he'd let me have it. Used a trade card with about $100 on it for the $0.01 transaction.

First penny guide ever! Thanks, all. Especially Darby for posting it.

1/27 Gamestop

MGS V CE

Need for Speed

Black Ops III CE

Tales of Zestiria CE

MGS V Regular Guide

Rise of the Tomb Raider CE

Everquest II Destiny of Velious PC game

Operation Flashpoint Red River PC game

Warhammer 40k Space Marine PC game

Resident Evil 5 PC game
Awesome Darby thanks for the list will try to get MGS V guide and Tales one hopefully I can

Would you have to do the hold online or can you just go in-store and pick it up?
You can try either. These guides are supposed to be pulled off the shelf so they may be off the shelf already if you are on the east coast. Going the online hold route lets you know that at least it's behind the counter. I would hope they give it to you if you say you made the trip just for the guide. Grab a cheap t shirt or another clearance item before asking for your hold request if you want to make it a more substantial transaction.

No luck so far, both stores that I went to declined to sale me them. Every hold I've made was cancelled too.
Same here. If anyone wants to sell or trade an extra Tomb Raider, Black Ops 3, and/or Need For Speed guide for a reasonable price, please PM me. :D

Thanks again Darby for the insider info :bow:

Snagged
2 RotTR CE
2 Tales CE
1 COD BO3 CE
1 MGSV standard

2 of the stores they just got real quiet and said "They're only a penny. Just take them." So... 6 guides for a penny. :)

Thanks, Darby.

I'm going to run to a store or 2 today and have fun getting denied!  I'm going to try a new strategy of not being a greedy fuck and only picking up like 2 and see if they let me do it lol thanks for the update!!!

Saw the ROTT and Tales CE guides at a local GS today, I asked him to check the price for me, it did show 1 cent for each guide but the guy told me "its gonna be $35 and $39 something for each of them". Am I being denied ?

Local Gamestop had a MGSV guide, so I did a hold for it on their website. I have yet to get a confirmation/pickup email. Should I wait or just head on in? Or am I one of the unfortunate ones to be denied as well?

Local Gamestop had a MGSV guide, so I did a hold for it on their website. I have yet to get a confirmation/pickup email. Should I wait or just head on in? Or am I one of the unfortunate ones to be denied as well?
If they cancel the hold, you'll get an email saying as much.

bread's done
Back