Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why you try for the hold. It just alerts them. I've never been turned down just putting the guide on the counter and playing dumb. The last store (got like 7 guides) the manager said to charge full prof, but I told the sales guy "see - told you they'd be a penny" and the manager just let them go.

I'm gonna head back out, really want the MGS V and Blops 3 guides. Wish me luck!

P.S. If anyone finds some in the Inland Empire area, mind letting me know?

Yeah I think I will never do an in store pickup I had the workers call me that they were out obviously it was bs, it just makes them aware and pull them out so now I will drop by the store and ring them up

I got Rise Tomb Raider but not for a penny. The clerks override the price so they wouldn't get in trouble. Sold it me for about $1. Still a good price.

Thanks Darby.

I drove to the GS in Norco, the associate denied me, said they were pennied out. I guess I'll just give up on this one, even though I really wanted some of them (especially at that price)  :whistle2:(  

Try picking them up when the store manager is not around @gamestop. I was able to find  last 2 pennied out guides. I actually found 2 FF type 0 hd guides for a penny about 2-3 wks ago. 

I just got lucky today. I was on the road for work all day and passed 7 Gamestops. Scored at 4, 1 had pulled and 2 had no guides out to try with.

Most successful penny guide day in a looooong time. I just don't want to get back to when I had a 5 shelf bookshelf filled with guides. :)

I didn't think of that, what's the usual hours for SM's?
No usual hours, they can be in any time. If you frequent your gamestop enough you would most likely know who is assistant store manager and store manager. I was able to pick them up when the ASMs were on the clock.

I don't know why you try for the hold. It just alerts them. I've never been turned down just putting the guide on the counter and playing dumb. The last store (got like 7 guides) the manager said to charge full prof, but I told the sales guy "see - told you they'd be a penny" and the manager just let them go.
YMMV, I find the opposite to be true. My local store is really diligent about pulling the guides, plus they keep most of them in the back. If I place a hold really early in the day I at least have a shot at getting one. In fact, just picked up my Tales of Zestiria CE guide that I placed a hold on at 8 this morning. They just gave it to me and said to enjoy.

Denied after a hold was confirmed. Kinda pissed me off. What if I really wanted the guide and they wouldn't sell it to me and I made my way out there for nothing? Oh well, I just thanked the guy anyways and traded my flips in. :p

The normal store I went to had like 6 ToZ CE's, 3 RotR and a few others (about 15 in total), but the manager would only let me have 3. Grabbed 1 ToZ CE, RotR, and MGS V standard (they didn't have the CE in stock). Went to another store and got RotR and MGS V standard, as well. Debating if I should dumpster dive the other guides out of the trash when the manager tosses them.

denied at the 3 stores I went to today as they all actually had them pulled already!    DIdn't have high hopes anyway!  And, of course, thanks for the info!

got the confirmed hold and then got a call from the store manager a few hours later saying he had the regular RotTR guide but they were "no longer selling the collector's edition at gamestop." c'est la vie.  

The normal store I went to had like 6 ToZ CE's, 3 RotR and a few others (about 15 in total), but the manager would only let me have 3. Grabbed 1 ToZ CE, RotR, and MGS V standard (they didn't have the CE in stock). Went to another store and got RotR and MGS V standard, as well. Debating if I should dumpster dive the other guides out of the trash when the manager tosses them.
any chance you would part with one of those extra rotr?

I'm such a nerd/dork/geek. My mom was going to the grocery store and I asked her to swing by the GS a couple miles away.  She called me back and said she got them. I asked how many and she said "more than five." It sounds like she had better fuck ing luck with guides than I've had since the good old Best Buy days. I'm curious to see what she got. It sounds like all of them unless she was confused about the Call of Duty guide having extra stuff with it. She definitely said "Call of Duty and Tales of Ze.... some kind of Japanese crap." Sorry Sovereign. 

That was a weird way to find out that I think my mom is racist against our friends in Japan.  :shame:

I'm such a nerd/dork/geek. My mom was going to the grocery store and I asked her to swing by the GS a couple miles away. She called me back and said she got them. I asked how many and she said "more than five." It sounds like she had better fuck ing luck with guides than I've had since the good old Best Buy days. I'm curious to see what she got. It sounds like all of them unless she was confused about the Call of Duty guide having extra stuff with it. She definitely said "Call of Duty and Tales of Ze.... some kind of Japanese crap." Sorry Sovereign.

That was a weird way to find out that I think my mom is racist against our friends in Japan. :shame:
If she got more than 1 MGS5CE...let me know :D

I'm such a nerd/dork/geek. My mom was going to the grocery store and I asked her to swing by the GS a couple miles away. She called me back and said she got them. I asked how many and she said "more than five." It sounds like she had better fuck ing luck with guides than I've had since the good old Best Buy days. I'm curious to see what she got. It sounds like all of them unless she was confused about the Call of Duty guide having extra stuff with it. She definitely said "Call of Duty and Tales of Ze.... some kind of Japanese crap." Sorry Sovereign.

That was a weird way to find out that I think my mom is racist against our friends in Japan. :shame:
You must have one hot mom. Pics of her holding the guides?

Be happy it didn't include vacuum sealed panties or something.

Alright guys, I'm back.

So, I ended up driving to the GameStop that was 12 miles away from me. I walked in and found the Tales of Zestiria guide. Then I went to the register and asked the associate if she had the Black Ops 3, MGS V, and Rise of The Tomb Raider guides. She went into the back, and came back with all 3! 

I picked up Borderlands (360) as well, and went to the register to check out. She rang up everything, and sure enough, the guides were only $0.01! She was confused by the price, so she asked the associate next to her about it. He told her "That means they're pennied out, you can't sell them. We have to toss them".

So I jumped in and said "Well if you're just going to toss em', could you let me have them?". And he said "Well... tell you what, if you come in on Friday and talk to the manager, I'm sure he'll let you have all of them. But I can't give them away without his approval". 

In the end I left with only Borderlands, but on Friday I should get lucky! (or I hope, what do you guys think?)

P.S. She accidentally gave me the GOTY edition  :D/

I'm glad I have up on penny guides long ago lol.
me too. I don't bother anymore ever since Bestbuy got hella strict on it. I always get rejected at GameStop and TRU or if you pre-order or buy any games I'll let you have the .01 cent guides for free.

The GameStops here are all really strict about denying / destroying guides.

If anyone has extras of the Tomb Raider CE, Phantom Pain CE, and/or Black Ops 3 CE let me know!

my gamestop was completely awesome. they actually had them marked as a penny.   it took everything i had not to clear them out,  i figure if they are actually advertising them at that price i'd leave them for another .  hopefully it will end up in the hands of a few people and not one greedy sob like myself lol.

picked up one of each that they had out.  guess i should have asked if they had more in the back .  oh wells

The penny stuff appears to have just dropped off the site finally.  I got a pickup ready email for a hold I put last night on a BLOPS III guide.

Hopefully I can actually get it today.

I gave up hunting for penny guides years ago, but read this thread last night and tried my luck with pickup.

Send in 3 requests, one store called me and told me not to go because they cannot sell penny guides (saved me the drive at least).

The other store accepted my pickup request for 2 guides, went after work and was told they were being nice to me to allow the pickup, usually they'd just cancel the order. 

Drove past 2 more GS on the way home, they all had multiple copies of the guides but had already pulled form the shelfs, refused to 'let me have them', but I did find one they missed and the manager was nice enough to give it to me.

Got the three I really wanted: 

MGS V CE
Tales of Zestiria CE
Rise of the Tomb Raider CE

Thanks Darby27 for posting the list and everyone else for posting details of their hunts. 

It is nice to be able to use GS stock locator, saves a lot of driving around for nothing (old BBY days).

I dont know why I didnt try getting one of the gwent sets for PS4. I guess I forgot. damn it I want one now.

Im was on the best buy forum and read cheapestgamer's post. I was pissed at first but now i think hes courageous. At the risk of sounding unpopular he did the right thing. Yeah, i miss gstting 1c guides too but the truth is that it was an oversight we all took advantage of.

Im was on the best buy forum and read cheapestgamer's post. I was pissed at first but now i think hes courageous. At the risk of sounding unpopular he did the right thing. Yeah, i miss gstting 1c guides too but the truth is that it was an oversight we all took advantage of.
Um. Courageous? He got hundreds if not thousands of guides, and only turned white knight because he had beef with his store that started denying him and was trying to get the store in trouble by telling on them.

That's the opposite of courageous.

Hi, IATCG!

You're just one lucky SOB obviously with a mother who knows how to get what she wants. Mine just complains.

Um. Courageous? He got hundreds if not thousands of guides, and only turned white knight because he had beef with his store that started denying him and was trying to get the store in trouble by telling on them.

That's the opposite of courageous.
He could've did it in secret by sending an e-mail, but he wasn't afraid and posted publicly on a forum. He might have took advantage (like all of us dids at one point, me included) but I'm happy he called attention to the loophole which was against the publisher's policy - like it or not.

He could've did it in secret by sending an e-mail, but he wasn't afraid and posted publicly on a forum. He might have took advantage (like all of us dids at one point, me included) but I'm happy he called attention to the loophole which was against the publisher's policy - like it or not.
He still did it anonymously behind a keyboard and computer screen. I wish he was courageous enough to do it in person in front of a bunch of CAGs. He would end up castrated with his junk stuffed down his throat... metaphorically speaking of course.

There are many other causes in this world that need attention. Maybe he should focus on really helping others in need instead of making sure Bradygames' quarterly revenue isn't harmed. If he's so courageous maybe he should go join the peace corps or something that would actually help someone.

Dammit, I would rather have Pepsiman trolling any day over IATCG. :headache:

bread's done
Back