Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely buy guides but whats the cheapest anyone has seen

Tales of Xillia 2: Prima Official Game Guide?

Going to buy it as a gift for my kid brother.
Outside of it being a penny I haven't seen it any cheaper from a retailer. Maybe ebay or amazon marketplace has a good price. I guess when BBY and GS run their 50% guide sale it was a decent price. But that is few and far between, esp now that GS doesn't carry it.

My local Gamestop had 3 Zestiria guides. Wouldn't sell one :( . So, add me to the list of people looking for one if anyone gets an extra!

how do you all usually ask for penny guides? Just find them or do you ask them directy? What do you even say?
I just ask if they have any copies of X in stock or in the back room. If they hesitate a bit after looking it up in the system I mention something about hearing they might be on clearance. 2 of my local GS usually say they don't have any of the pennied item in stock (which may or may not be true), and another today said "they used to drop to a penny and we would just give them out for people looking for them, but now we have to hold them for the district manager when he comes in and he has to destroy them."

/sadface

Decided to try and see if anyone still had a copy of the Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone expansion pack that came with the Gwent cards after reading here that it had been pennied out...also decided to see if anyone had RotR CE. 

Went to four Gamestops.

Gamestop 1 thought they had the expansion, but after checking on the computer said they didn't have any... no go on the CE either.

Gamestop 2 knew what I was talking about and hunted through all their drawers, but came up empty and suggested I try Amazon. They told me the CE was limited, so I could only get the regular guide.

Gamestop 3 halfheartedly looked up the expansion and told me I could get the DLC code for $10, but the Gwent set had been recalled. He was so matter of fact about it that I decided not to bother asking about the CE.

Gamestop 4 looked the expansion up but told me she "thought she heard it had been pennied out" while checking. She was hoping she'd misheard for me, so she even called what I'm assuming was a higher up (who, from her reaction, seemed grumpy that anyone was asking about it? "I've got a customer asking about it.... no, they just wanted to know if we had any or if it was a thing. Okay. Thanks.")  She told me they'd been under the counter for ages but everything got cleaned off recently, so I missed them by like a week. Didn't bother asking about the guides since it was clear that anything pennied out was already gone.

Complete bust... so I ended up placing an offer on expansion on ebay. Ah well. As for the guide, I wouldn't look at it till I get the PS4 version so I can wait and see what comes out there.

I will say both Best Buys I went to had the CE in stock, but the one had it marked $35 and I know people said BB doesn't do the penny sales, so I wasn't sure if I could even ask or if it would be cheaper than what the shelf said.

Either cod aw and destiny dropped or someone bought all the copies and aw had 7 copies last week at my store. I may be wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything seemed to have been pulled at my local TRU, except for a single "AC/MK7/NSMB2/LoZ:ALBW" guide, which I was able to purchase!  Thanks for the heads up!

Managed to grab DA:I last night. Thought I'd be shot down since checkout was at CS with red shirts, but all she did was tell me the price a couple of times and let it go.

I'm sure these have been mentioned before but went to TRU today and scanned all the guides and found some at $0.02. I'm still kind of surprised that Black Ops 2 is still full price, sometimes I wonder about the drops.

Assassin's Creed Rogue

Madden 15
Mario Kart 8
3DS 4 Guides in One

[attachment=20689:20160225_141528.jpg]

Thanks Darby.

I didn't do a hold, but before they pulled the listing I saw all the guides were available at my store.  Store is 30 mins away, but it opens at 11 so i can just grab lunch and it wont be a total loss.

I've never tried for a penny guide before, but I know the guy working is cool.  He let me buy FFX/X-2 new and trade it in used immediately so I'm hoping for the best.

bread's done
Back