Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this today at Best Buy

attachicon.gif
20161001_134222.jpg

Are they coming back again ?!? Didn't get one because I got mine at GS. But they had at least a dozen.
Hurry before IATCG finds and reports your best buy to corporate!

Anyone interested in guides?

Disney Epic Mickey CE Sealed

Deadrising 2 CE Sealed

Dragon Quest Realms Revelation

Spiderman SD

Castlevania LOS

Resident Evil 5 CE sealed

Resident Evil 6 CE Sealed

Resident Evil Achives 2

Mass Effect 3 n7 CE sealed

Dragon Age Inq. CE sealed

Final Fantasy 13-2 CE sealed

Assassin Creed 2 CE sealed

Assassin Creed Revelations CE sealed

Zelda Green CE sealed

Gears of war 2 CE

If anyone that is interested and pm me. Please find out the cost of shipping guides from zip code 20877.

Please consider time, gas, supplies, etc.  Cost + shipping= ???

Tomb Raider CE
Quantum Break CE
SFV

Picked up for nothing at my local Best Buy. Tomb Raider wouldn't scan, but the other 2 rang up for a penny.

Tomb Raider CE
Quantum Break CE
SFV

Picked up for nothing at my local Best Buy. Tomb Raider wouldn't scan, but the other 2 rang up for a penny.
Tomb Raider CE's no longer on BB's website.....I may have to try and stop by my local one before work tomorrow, just for the heck of it...

Edit: Damn, tomorrow's Sunday, so BB doesn't open until I have to be at work. Maybe after, then. Not holding my breath either way but they did have a bunch last time I was there.

Thanks for the post darkasian.

I found quantum break at my store and then was checking some of the other guides to see if any others were no longer on best buys site.

I also found:

Star Wars Battlefront CE Hardcover

Zelda Triforce Heroes CE Hardcover

those are no longer on the site.

I took all 3 guides up and all 3 came up not on file/ cannot be sold.

The cashier called over a manager, they found the price listed in the system somewhere as $0.01, but no matter what they did they could not get them to ring of course. Even tried some method where it asks for the price and it would not let them.

They were going to sell them to me for a penny, but the system completely blocked them. So no go for me on any of them.

I wasn't about to argue or throw a fit, I work retail and know how it is.

So if anyone wants to try the other 2 I listed are also pennied out, but you would probably need to get lucky and have someone just give them to you.

Debated on whether to stop at the BB near work or the BB near home (which I go to more frequently). Ended up stopping by the one near work and I'm glad I did! They had a bunch of guides stacked on a shelf with no price tags. They had several paperback copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider (that also didn't show up on their website) and just when I thought I'd lucked out, they had one hardcover CE at the bottom of a different stack. 

I'd found something I wanted to buy so I went up and asked for a price check on the CE while checking out. 3 different ranks of manager tried to figure out how to ring it out, got numbers and SKUs from the back room even, and nothing worked. The manager said it was unsellable, then paused (we'd been at this a while) and asked "am I crushing your hopes and dreams?" I shrugged and said "well, a little, but I do understand." And then he paused some more and said "How about I just give it to you?"

And then he let the bouncer at the door know that I wouldn't have a receipt for the guide.

I'm super excited! I had been waiting on getting the guide because I was hoping they'd come out with a CE for the 20 year celebration but the only thing they have is an e-guide. So now I have the version I actually wanted and if one DOES come out for the 20-year, I won't have to sigh about having already bought a guide!

(I do think it's a little ridiculous that they're getting rid of all the Tomb Raider guides though. The manager was like "it must be because of how old a game it is" to which I said "I was only about the buy the game last week!")

I just left with the rest of the Battlefront and TriForce guides from my local Best Buy. I just take them to the Customer Service desk for a price check, and from there it's usually smooth sailing for me. If there's trouble with it ringing up, they usually get someone on the horn, then they just give them to me.

I just left with the rest of the Battlefront and TriForce guides from my local Best Buy. I just take them to the Customer Service desk for a price check, and from there it's usually smooth sailing for me. If there's trouble with it ringing up, they usually get someone on the horn, then they just give them to me.
Were any of the guides you have gotten there recently actually ringing up as $.01 and able to be sold?

I think the Quantum Break and Street Fighter guides range up a penny, so I was told. The girl couldn't get the Tomb Raiders guide to scan. I think the Battlefront guide scanned, but not the Zelda one.

Thanks for the post darkasian.

I found quantum break at my store and then was checking some of the other guides to see if any others were no longer on best buys site.

I also found:

Star Wars Battlefront CE Hardcover

Zelda Triforce Heroes CE Hardcover

those are no longer on the site.

I took all 3 guides up and all 3 came up not on file/ cannot be sold.

The cashier called over a manager, they found the price listed in the system somewhere as $0.01, but no matter what they did they could not get them to ring of course. Even tried some method where it asks for the price and it would not let them.

They were going to sell them to me for a penny, but the system completely blocked them. So no go for me on any of them.

I wasn't about to argue or throw a fit, I work retail and know how it is.

So if anyone wants to try the other 2 I listed are also pennied out, but you would probably need to get lucky and have someone just give them to you.
Same thing happened to me today...no luck with Quantum break

So, I didn't see it listed in the OP or any of the following spoiler posts, but I'm guessing that my odds of finding a Majora's Mask 3DS guide outside of eBay or Amazon at this point are pretty much zero?

The link to the discussion thread is broken and I don't know where else to ask, so...

Where would be my best bet to find a physical Majora's Mask 3D guide in good condition for cheap? Ebay seems to be hovering around $15-20, which is a bit more than I'm looking to find it for.

Sent some holds and first store gave the "clicked the wrong button" excuse. Oh, but they did offer to ship a copy to me if I paid full price. 

tumblr_m01dc4VOp71r4td7do1_250.gif

Second store sold me two- for a dollar each. thanks Darby. 

Jjp61.gif

After talking my way through it, I got a DOOM guide, and its pretty sweet

I really want to know when TW3, Dark Souls 3, and the Deus Ex CE guides go on clearance most of all.

Has anyone checked TRU lately? I went there to grab some of the 2 for $70 games and noticed the game guides were behind the glass with the games and not out on the floor anymore so I wasn't able to scan any of them to check for price. 

Has anyone checked TRU lately? I went there to grab some of the 2 for $70 games and noticed the game guides were behind the glass with the games and not out on the floor anymore so I wasn't able to scan any of them to check for price.
No drops that I could saw checked a week ago. Though the Black Ops 2 guides and Sunset Overdrive guides are gone from my store.

Man I was @ BB today and didn't see this thread until now. So is BB just getting rid of their guides? I did see the Witcher 3 CE guide. Would that also be a penny?

I've started a new love of collecting guides thanks to this thread, most Gamestop employees are really cool about it and give me pennied guides, but a few of them enjoy bantering with me for 25 minutes before giving them to me. 

Isn't tomorrow the new drop day for pennied guides? I'm thinking DS3 HC and Fallout 4 are getting the axe.

I've started a new love of collecting guides thanks to this thread, most Gamestop employees are really cool about it and give me pennied guides, but a few of them enjoy bantering with me for 25 minutes before giving them to me.

Isn't tomorrow the new drop day for pennied guides? I'm thinking DS3 HC and Fallout 4 are getting the axe.
Man, it sounds like you're living in 2005 because that's how it was for me back then. Now they are strict about not selling the stuff or even giving it away. For the best I suppose as I've pretty much reached my limit on guide space.

Man, it sounds like you're living in 2005 because that's how it was for me back then. Now they are strict about not selling the stuff or even giving it away. For the best I suppose as I've pretty much reached my limit on guide space.
Seriously. Can I borrow your time machine, greyslash? I really want the Dark Souls I strategy guide.

12/7 Gamestop

Fallout 4 (soft cover)

Madden 17

Dark Souls III CE

Deus Ex CE

Bioshock Collection

Fallout 4 Ultimate Vault Dwellers Bundle (only one I've seen on the stock checker is Coral Springs, FL)

Gears of War 4 (soft cover)

Mafia 3 (soft cover)

12/7 Gamestop

Fallout 4 (soft cover)

Madden 17

Dark Souls III CE

Deus Ex CE

Bioshock Collection

Fallout 4 Ultimate Vault Dwellers Bundle (only one I've seen on the stock checker is Coral Springs, FL)
Gears of War 4 -softcover

Mafia III -softcover

Mastering Minecraft Third Edition Official Strategy Guide - 4.99

Am I losing it?   Aren't the in store prices showing the same as the online price?  I'm not seeing the $.01.  

EDIT:  I'm dumb.  Nevermind.

Thanks, Darby! Got a couple Bioshock, 2 Drums Ex and 3 Dark Souls guides. That's a nice haul for a penny day! :)

The shrink on those Dark Souls guides sucks. All of them are ripped.

Thanks, Darby! Got a couple Bioshock, 2 Drums Ex and 3 Dark Souls guides. That's a nice haul for a penny day! :)

The shrink on those Dark Souls guides sucks. All of them are ripped.
Glad someone had luck! So far out of the 6 holds I placed, I've gotten rejected on 3 and not heard back on the other 3. (put 3 different ones for each Bioshock and Deus Ex, those were the only two I want)

With my local stores, I've never gotten a penny guide that I put on hold.  Walking in store and purchasing the guides (preferably with another item/game) works about 50% of the time.  I don't play dumb though, and most of the employees know I look for them.  I just politely ask them if they can sell me the guide without getting in trouble.  There's one manager in particular that just hands me the guides when I find them.  I also never get more than one of the same guide.

I really want that DS3 guide, so I might even buy the game with the guide.  If they deny me the guide I'll just say I don't want the game then and see what they do.  

Ugh I really want those fallout dark souls and maybe even bioshock guides. But these days it's such a hassle to even attempt to get penny guides I don't even know if it's worth it. The guys in my area are ridiculously strict.

My guy who was holding penny guides for me got fired apparently. Everytime I get any kind of rapport going with the GS employees around here they either transfer or get canned.

Do you do store pickup or just walk in and act stupid when thy ring up 1c?
I just take the guides to the counter and say "wooohoo, it's penny guide day!". They're either gonna let you have them or not. I figure if I show that I know they're a penny right off, they don't try any of that fake markup bullshit. I've never been turned down for a sale.

I left 2 Dark souls and the Madden guides. I'll go by after lunch and grab the other DS guides if they're still out. I may just buy a copy of RB guitar bundle to give the dude a sale.

Ended up getting rejected on all 6 of my holds.  If anyone gets an extra Deus Ex CE or Bioshock Collection (or preferably both) let me know.  I have some other recent drops I can trade for them.

bread's done
Back