Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KtMack23']If anyone wants to send me guides for basically shipping cost or a little more, PM me.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this for a lot of people. I wouldn't mind paying a 'finders fee' + shipping for a guide I want. A lot of people pretty much want what's on the back of the book though which aggravates me ;( So I pretty much stay away from the trade thread. Just wish my area(within 50 miles of central florida) wasn't so stingy with pulling pennied items.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Hey dude FYI. AC2 CE

Out of curiosity, where are you from?[/QUOTE]
Oh shit. I just realized I have two of those on my TL. :lol: Yet I was asking The Punisher for his too.:whistle2:# I figured though if his was opened I wouldn't have to break the seal on either of my two.

But damn, now that I know they've got value too(glad I held onto em like I did;)) I'm plopping em up on Amazon to see if I get any bites.:D

[quote name='StarryWisdom']Pretty much this for a lot of people. I wouldn't mind paying a 'finders fee' + shipping for a guide I want. A lot of people pretty much want what's on the back of the book though which aggravates me ;( So I pretty much stay away from the trade thread. Just wish my area(within 50 miles of central florida) wasn't so stingy with pulling pennied items.[/QUOTE]
That's the thing though. What's to stop you or someone else from turning around and taking someones' altruistic act of sending you a guide for shipping costs and selling it and making the money that the original owner could've made? I know not everybody thinks in terms of dollars for these things and some just want to have them sealed or in mint condition for some dusty old collection forever.

But to me if I have something of value and I paid nearly nothing for it, then it's going up on eBay or Amazon to make me money to pay for my gaming hobby. If someone wants it then they can pay market value for it.

Maybe that sounds wrong but it's how I think or have started to think. I still do altruistic acts on here every so often, but only with stuff I know has little to no resale value.:booty:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's the thing though. What's to stop you or someone else from turning around and taking someones' altruistic act of sending you a guide for shipping costs and selling it and making the money that the original owner could've made? I know not everybody thinks in terms of dollars for these things and some just want to have them sealed or in mint condition for some dusty old collection forever.

But to me if I have something of value and I paid nearly nothing for it, then it's going up on eBay or Amazon to make me money to pay for my gaming hobby. If someone wants it then they can pay market value for it.

Maybe that sounds wrong but it's how I think or have started to think. I still do altruistic acts on here every so often, but only with stuff I know has little to no resale value.:booty:[/QUOTE]

That... that is wrong. You pay nothing for it and want market value for it? Are you serious?

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']That... that is wrong. You pay nothing for it and want market value for it? Are you serious?[/QUOTE]
So then I can count on you to sell me any copies of the guides for Uncharted, Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, Half Life 2: Raising The Bar(of which I had two and sold one on here for next to nothing:bomb: and the other on Amazon for $115 before fees:D) and any other hard to find/rare guides for the price you paid and include shipping in that?

No? Oh well. Then don't preach to me to sell something that may or may not have value on the open market for my cost and let someone else make money on it that I could make instead.:booty:;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So then I can count on you to sell me any copies of the guides for Uncharted, Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga, Half Life 2: Raising The Bar(of which I had two and sold one on here for next to nothing:bomb: and the other on Amazon for $115 before fees:D) and any other hard to find/rare guides for the price you paid and include shipping in that?

No? Oh well. Then don't preach to me to sell something that may or may not have value on the open market for my cost and let someone else make money on it that I could make instead. [/QUOTE]

If it's a guide I don't want I'll trade it, sell it for a small profit, or sell it for just the cost of shipping. But I won't sell a guide for $15-30 if I just paid a penny for it.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']If it's a guide I don't want I'll trade it, sell it for a small profit, or sell it for just the cost of shipping. But I won't sell a guide for $15-30 if I just paid a penny for it.[/QUOTE]
Good for you then. But I won't do that. Moreover, let's see how long you stick to this philosophy.;)

Wow, I can't believe I missed a BB drop. I checked the skus and none of my stores have any of the guides available. I'm sure they're long gone if they were pennied on 16 days ago on 4/30/12 like the OP says.

[quote name='The Punisher']Most of them are old from the Best buy.

Disney Epic Mickey CE
Dead Rising 2 CE and Regular
Medal of Honor CE
Goldeneye Wii
Tron Wii
Metroid M Wii
Castlevania LOS
Assassin Creed 2 CE
Resident Evil 5
so many. have to look at it to make list.
I was thinking about donating it.
I just wish i had some CAG friends here. Maybe they will like to have guides to match their games[/QUOTE]

You could always throw them in the yard sale pile. The newer guides, I would charge $2-3 and the old ones $1 or lower. You don't want to have a yard sale? No problem. If you live in a neighborhood, a lot of times, neighborhoods pool their stuff and have the sale at a particular house.

If that sounds like too much work, try a local used bookstore. I got $15 for 3-5 guides at my local Half-Price Books.

Good luck.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']You could always throw them in the yard sale pile. The newer guides, I would charge $2-3 and the old ones $1 or lower. You don't want to have a yard sale? No problem. If you live in a neighborhood, a lot of times, neighborhoods pool their stuff and have the sale at a particular house.

If that sounds like too much work, try a local used bookstore. I got $15 for 3-5 guides at my local Half-Price Books.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Wow, what half price books was that? I assume you traded in some kickin' guides, cause I usually average less than $0.50 each when i do that.

[quote name='hellmutt']Wow, what half price books was that? I assume you traded in some kickin' guides, cause I usually average less than $0.50 each when i do that.[/QUOTE]

I was able to dump Medal of Honor LE on them from a BB drop when the game had only been out for approx. 6 months. They gave me like $6 for it. A week later, I went back and they were selling it for $15.

I also unloaded guides for Assassin's Creed 2 and a couple of others for big selling games at the time. Oh, one more thing about the guides...a couple of them were still shrink wrapped so thinking back, that probably had something to do with it. I know some retailers won't take unopened merchandise but they did not seem to mind.

Wow, can't believe this wasn't posted already... Gamestop pennied the following today; managed to get one of each.

Cheat Code Overload Summer 2011
Dead Rising 2: Off The Record
UFC Encyclopedia

[quote name='Game Rogue']Wow, can't believe this wasn't posted already... Gamestop pennied the following today; managed to get one of each.

UFC Encyclopedia[/QUOTE]

Damn and I was just in the area today. I know my store has at least two Dead Risings and possibly a UFC encyclopedia.

[quote name='Game Rogue']Wow, can't believe this wasn't posted already... Gamestop pennied the following today; managed to get one of each.

UFC Encyclopedia[/QUOTE]

fuck i was just at gamestop.

[quote name='Tsel']Damn and I was just in the area today. I know my store has at least two Dead Risings and possibly a UFC encyclopedia.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slowdive21']fuck i was just at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Count me in. I drove by two today and didn't have a chance to stop in.

UFC Encyclopedia[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I am glad I postponed my trip till tomorrow.

In other news, the op is updated.:bouncy:

Edit: My 1000th post!

[quote name='Dark Rider']Thanks! I am glad I postponed my trip till tomorrow.

In other news, the op is updated.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

You're glad? Employees toss the guides at the end of the night or the very next morning. Anyone waiting until tomorrow, including myself, is most likely screwed.

[quote name='Romeo']You're glad? Employees toss the guides at the end of the night or the very next morning. Anyone waiting until tomorrow, including myself, is most likely screwed.[/QUOTE]

I am glad. Because if I had gone today, I wouldn't have known about these. Tomorrow I can at least look for them.

[quote name='Romeo']You're glad? Employees toss the guides at the end of the night or the very next morning. Anyone waiting until tomorrow, including myself, is most likely screwed.[/QUOTE]
Not always. There are some stores that wait till weeks end or later to pull. Some of them get even more lax than that if they get busy and forget about pulling them.

For a while the BB stores around here had random guides from drops 2-3 years ago, same thing with the GS stores.

It just takes the right employees(ie those that don't care to pull) working on the day of a drop to get stuff left on the shelves.;)

Not so. I was able to get the Ratchet and Clank guide a month after it was pennied. Yeah, it was a special case, but it does happen. Anyway, it might still be there.

You know what's weird? The Cheat Overload Winter 2011 pennied before the Cheat Overload Summer 2011 at GameStop. The order GS pennies stuff in is really strange.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What's even more strange to me is that they still have the FFXII CE for $14.99 when that shoulda been pennied out a while ago as well.[/QUOTE]

FFXII CE is to the penny drops at GS what Mark of Kri was to the clearance cycle at Kmart ;)

[quote name='FOnewearl']FFXII CE is to the penny drops at GS what Mark of Kri was to the clearance cycle at Kmart ;)[/QUOTE]
Exactly. But eventually Mark Of Kri did drop.:booty:

[quote name='slppedyoursster']You could always throw them in the yard sale pile. The newer guides, I would charge $2-3 and the old ones $1 or lower. You don't want to have a yard sale? No problem. If you live in a neighborhood, a lot of times, neighborhoods pool their stuff and have the sale at a particular house.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

dont have time for yard sales and no Half price books in my area.

I got a few PM from CAG here.

As long as I dont lose money out of my pocket and people here are willing to pay for the Shipping cost, then Im fine.

Does Paypal charge fees?

[quote name='The Punisher']dont have time for yard sales and no Half price books in my area.

As long as I dont lose money out of my pocket and people here are willing to pay for the Shipping cost, then Im fine.

Does Paypal charge fees?[/QUOTE]

They have to send it to you as a 'gift payment'. I will take a copy of any CE you have. If you have a few different CEs that is even better. Please shoot me a pm and lmk, what it will cost. I can't get penny guides anymore.

EDIT: I will be going to a funeral tonight, so I will have to return your pm later.

[quote name='The Punisher']dont have time for yard sales and no Half price books in my area.

Does Paypal charge fees?[/QUOTE]I'm definitely interested in any CE guides you might have and I'd be willing to pay for the shipping, no problem. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I'd be interested in some guides too and I'd also fork over some dough for the shipping. Shoot me a PM sometime.

Does Paypal charge fees?[/QUOTE]
As I said in my PM, I'd definitely keep that Assassin's Creed II CE for yourself since it's got some value to it.;) Then again, I'd also double check values on the rest of your list versus Amazon/eBay before making any agreements on here.:booty:

Managed to pick up a Pokemon B/W CE guide for a penny at BB. They had a yellow sticker over the barcodes of all the guides they had. Even stuff that wasn't pennied yet. I took the sticker off so they could scan it and bought a Blu-Ray with it.

I'll probably sell the other one I have or trade it for a CE guide I want.

Usually they only ever put the stickers over the one barcode on the back of the game guides since it doesn't scan in their system at BB anyway. Was it over the actual UPC barcode(usually on the right) or over the ISBN barcode? I ask because that second one never scans in their system.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Usually they only ever put the stickers over the one barcode on the back of the game guides since it doesn't scan in their system at BB anyway. Was it over the actual UPC barcode(usually on the right) or over the ISBN barcode? I ask because that second one never scans in their system.[/QUOTE]

It was over the ISBN barcode. Guess that solves the mystery, thanks for the info.

I ventured out to a few BBs today because I only found out about the 4/30 drop yesterday. I managed to get:

Dragon age 2 CE,
Fallout new vegas CE,
Assassins creed brotherhood regular,
assassins creed brotherhood CE,
Final Fantasy XIII,
and Dungeon siege 3.

I also found a Borderlands CE guide and a Assassins Creed Botherhood CE game for $29.99. The borderlands guide ended up being %15 off I guess because I bought a game and have a BB Gamer's account.

The store locator sku trick was correct for everything I found.

Two stores were busts. The third store where I got everything had a bunch of the guides in their warehouse in the back. They even have non pennied guides in the warehouse in the back that aren't available on the shelf. This store is using a fairly junky wire shelf display for the guides so there is hardly any room for them. On top of that, they are stuffed in there really tight and are getting bent in the middle by people looking through the guides. Has anyone else ever seen this before? Every time I buy softcover guides there, they are bent to hell horizontally in the middle. I don't care because they are only a penny, but I wouldn't pay full price for any of their bent up guides.

The BB employee who helped me was awesome. He checked the back warehouse for me and found pretty much everything I listed above. He said they had 5 or 6 more Fallout New Vegas CE's in the back warehouse. #-o#-o#-o#-o#-o#-o They are probably loosing a lot of potential revenue by not keeping non-pennied guides out on the shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sephiroth61787']It was over the ISBN barcode. Guess that solves the mystery, thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]
You're welcome. I've seen that sticker over the barcode thing at many, many BB stores in recent years. Why they have those barcodes on there is kinda baffling at this point, unless that's how they track inventory in the system or something.

What amused me more was a few years back when the one Warhammer MMO guide pennied. They had another sticker on the front cover with the name of the guide, price and a barcode on it. When that one was scanned the guide came up $99,999.99 and when the back UPC code was scanned it came up $.01.:whistle2:#

Quite a price difference, don't ya think?

after not having any luck at gamestop for the last few drops i managed to find a dead rising 2: off the record and ufc encyclopedia. also they have fewer guides than they used to. they used to have a shelf and one of those spinny things. now all they have is the spinny thing.

The one GS closest to me used to have not only the rotating rack, but also a whole two sided wire rack filled with them. Now they keep 90% of them in the back room.

My Gamestop got rid of the rotating rack a couple of months ago and now have the guides just sitting on shelves near the counter.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The one GS closest to me used to have not only the rotating rack, but also a whole two sided wire rack filled with them. Now they keep 90% of them in the back room.[/QUOTE]

My gamestop has them in the back too, why do they do this exactly?

[quote name='SolarUxie']My gamestop has them in the back too, why do they do this exactly?[/QUOTE]

I think I asked at one store, and I think the response was that they were getting trashed when they were on display - probably a combination of the crappy racks and people using GameStop as a library.

[quote name='SolarUxie']My gamestop has them in the back too, why do they do this exactly?[/QUOTE]
Because those rotating racks they have them in are horrible. The metal portion of the racks that they slide into are often overstuffed with guides. Many times the covers get mutilated from being crammed back into those racks.

But gantt touched on the other subject, that being that some folks come in to 'browse' and will flip through guides till they find a part they're stuck on and stand there and read how to beat it without buying the guide.

I know I used to do this back in the day(Genesis/PS1 era) even when guides were only $10-15 each.;)

I know this is not a selling/trading forum. Let me make it clear, Im trying to clean up. I have no intent of trying to make money. Im giving out guides because maybe someone here will put some good use out of them and to help other follow CAG. As noted, as long as I break even and dont lost money out of pocket (supplies and shipping cost) then Im fine. I would like to make some money, but IT'S NOT REQUIRED! The only thing Im still trying to look for is the Forza 4 fuzzy disc that was a preorder from BB, which I never got. Here is the Best Buy Fuzzy Dice release 10/11
SKU: 3054569

Here is the list:
Tron Wii x2
GoldenEye 007 Wii x2
Resident Evil 5 x2
Legend of zelda ST x1
Assassin Creed 2 x1 (Not seal)
Super Scribblenauts x1 (Not seal)
Pokemon Ranger GS x1 (not Seal)
Blood Stone 007 x1 (Not Seal)
Lego Indiana Jones 2 x1 (not seal,ok condition)
Prince of Persia FS x1 (not seal. ok condition)
Castlevania LoS x1 (not seal)
Alan Wake x1 (not seal)
Medal of Honor CE x3 (1 Not Seal)
Splinter Cell Conviction x1
Duke Forever CE x1
Star Wars force unleashed 2 CE x2
Dead Rising 2 x 2
Metroid Other M x2
Spider SD x1 (not Seal. back coner bend fold)
Fear 3 x1 (not seal)
x2 Bioshock 2 CE ArtBook, CD, Record 12 player and the 3 posters (this is from the CE edition for xbox 360)
x1 Disney Epic Mickey CE

Im not sure if its worth shipping the bioshock 2 ce stuff since its too big. anyone know how i should proceed? (I do have Bioshock 2 Game sealed, but its not free.)

I will try to get to everyone, but please PM me what u looking for. I will check CAg later this afternoon. (CAG here already been PM me guides)

[quote name='The Punisher']I know this is not a selling/trading forum. Let me make it clear, Im trying to clean up. I have no intent of trying to make money. Im giving out guides because maybe someone here will put some good use out of them and to help other follow CAG. As noted, as long as I break even and dont lost money out of pocket (supplies and shipping cost) then Im fine. I would like to make some money, but IT'S NOT REQUIRED! The only thing Im still trying to look for is the Forza 4 fuzzy disc that was a preorder from BB, which I never got. Here is the Best Buy Fuzzy Dice release 10/11

Here is the list:
Tron Wii x2
GoldenEye 007 Wii x2
Resident Evil 5 x2
Legend of zelda ST x1
Alan Wake x1 (not seal)
Duke Forever CE x1
Dead Rising 2 x 2
Metroid Other M x2
Fear 3 x1 (not seal)
x2 Bioshock 2 CE ArtBook, CD, Record 12 player and the 3 posters (this is from the CE edition for xbox 360)
x1 Disney Epic Mickey CE

Im not sure if its worth shipping the bioshock 2 ce stuff since its too big. anyone know how i should proceed? (I do have Bioshock 2 Game sealed, but its not free.)

I will try to get to everyone, but please PM me what u looking for. I will check CAg later this afternoon. (CAG here already been PM me guides)[/QUOTE]

What you're doing is very nice, but could we keep these to the trading forum in the future? Thanks, and I am not trying to be a dick, but trading makes a lot of extra clutter, especially when we have a thread for it.

Two more guides at Toys R Us. Bakugan was mentioned several pages earlier but it wasn't added to the OP for some reason. I'll take care of that.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky
Bakugan Battle Brawlers

[quote name='The Punisher']I know this is not a selling/trading forum. Let me make it clear, Im trying to clean up. I have no intent of trying to make money. Im giving out guides because maybe someone here will put some good use out of them and to help other follow CAG. As noted, as long as I break even and dont lost money out of pocket (supplies and shipping cost) then Im fine. I would like to make some money, but IT'S NOT REQUIRED! The only thing Im still trying to look for is the Forza 4 fuzzy disc that was a preorder from BB, which I never got. Here is the Best Buy Fuzzy Dice release 10/11

Here is the list:
Tron Wii x2
GoldenEye 007 Wii x2
Resident Evil 5 x2
Legend of zelda ST x1
Alan Wake x1 (not seal)
Duke Forever CE x1
Dead Rising 2 x 2
Metroid Other M x2
Fear 3 x1 (not seal)
x1 Disney Epic Mickey CE

I will try to get to everyone, but please PM me what u looking for. I will check CAg later this afternoon. (CAG here already been PM me guides)[/QUOTE]
I'd definitely delete all the CE guides and ones for popular games(Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon/Resident Evil) from that list, as that's all that folks on here are gonna wanna cherry pick from your list. Not to mention that the Epic Mickey CE sold for $20 or so on eBay recently. If anything, I'd offer to trade those CE's ONLY for other CE guides. That's what I do and why no one wants to grab any from me, since they expect a CE guide for some really common shit that you have NO interest in.:roll:

As for the Bioshock 2 stuff, about the only thing that might be a pain in the ass to ship is the record. But if you have some of those folded over cardboard mailers that Amazon ships stuff in you could always use a couple of those taped together with a polybag type bubble mailer covering the whole thing.

@imcheap
If you're interest in the guide, pm him. Stop telling him what to do.. Not everyone here is greedy and sending the guides to make "profit" as he stated above.

bread's done
Back