Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to 2 Best Buys today. The first one had 1 Dragon Age 2 guide and 1 Pokemon Gold & Silver Pokedex. The second had about 6 Fallout NV guides and 3 Dragon Age 2 guides. The first store wouldn't let me have any of them. So when I went to the second I only took a few of the guides to try to buy and hid the rest. Good thing, because they wouldn't let me have any guides there either. The worst part is what they told me. "Sorry, man," in the most insincere way I have ever heard. Best Buy, welcome to my shit list.

Got another copy of the Fallout New Vegas guide. Regular Edition. After I picked it up to try to "buy" it, it took about 10 minutes for them to reach a decision. They just let me have it. I overheard them talking about how they had run a sweep to collect all the guides that needed to be sent back to the manufacturer, but this one avoided detection. Anyway, I'd say it was worth my time to get it.

Anybody know if Meijer's does clearence on guides? Been traveling cross country with the fam and have found a few unpicked guides (that are no longer that status :) ) I ask because they have a huge stack of guides locked up snd some newer ones have prices on the spine a lot of older ones dont thanks

FYE/Transworld stores also do penny guides(and games) sometimes. Just ask for as price check on older guides you might see on the shelf at an FYE/Coconuts/etc store and you may get lucky.

One thing I know for certain IS pennied there is the original Everquest Online Adventures for PS2. I found it at two seperate stores in two different states with an actual penny sticker on each copy.

Here's the Wikipedia page showing all of the chains that belong to them. Some may have just been rebranded FYE since Coconuts is showing as being defunct now. But I distinctly remember being in one of those stores up in a strip mall just outside of Binghamton, NY a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_World_Entertainment

[quote name='elrobo8']UFC Undisputed 2010 dropped at Toys R Us today.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would take that one if they paid me. Regardless, the OP is updated.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']FYE/Transworld stores also do penny guides(and games) sometimes. Just ask for as price check on older guides you might see on the shelf at an FYE/Coconuts/etc store and you may get lucky.

One thing I know for certain IS pennied there is the original Everquest Online Adventures for PS2. I found it at two seperate stores in two different states with an actual penny sticker on each copy.

Here's the Wikipedia page showing all of the chains that belong to them. Some may have just been rebranded FYE since Coconuts is showing as being defunct now. But I distinctly remember being in one of those stores up in a strip mall just outside of Binghamton, NY a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_World_Entertainment[/QUOTE]

Wow that takes me back. I used to play that game hardcore YEARS ago.

resistance 3 guide is pennied out

it had a penny price tag too
took it to cashier, cashier called manager, manager said i couldnt have itand that they were supposed to be taken out

[quote name='boyboy1080']resistance 3 guide is pennied out

it had a penny price tag too
took it to cashier, cashier called manager, manager said i couldnt have itand that they were supposed to be taken out[/QUOTE]

Where?

my local bestbuy still has a Final Fantasy XIII-2 collectors edition guide just gathering dust on a shelf. Not sure if I read that guide has already been pennied or pulled off shelves on this thread, but next time I go I'll try my luck.

[quote name='Kablasia']my local bestbuy still has a Final Fantasy XIII-2 collectors edition guide just gathering dust on a shelf. Not sure if I read that guide has already been pennied or pulled off shelves on this thread, but next time I go I'll try my luck.[/QUOTE]
It hasn't. Still $34.99.

[quote name='tribalnoise']i bought battlefield 3 CE for $19.99 at gamestop today. i thought it was supposed to be $.01[/QUOTE]
It's not pennied.

Nevermind, thought you were talking about the BB one.

[quote name='tribalnoise']i bought battlefield 3 CE for $19.99 at gamestop today. i thought it was supposed to be $.01[/QUOTE]

It did penny, I got one myself months ago. The GS employee may have overridden the price on you.

[quote name='sevenfold']It did penny, I got one myself months ago. The GS employee may have overridden the price on you.[/QUOTE]so that's why it took so long to ring up. i didn't know they did that. i guess that explains why he was typing like he was operating an airline ticket computer. i will be returning it and then rebuying it at a later time at a different store.

:lol: Apparently I need to jot down stuff that may be a penny cuz my closest BB had stacks of the vanilla FO NV guide today on the guide rack and it IS still showing up as $.01 on that page.

Not that I need any of that guide, since I think I have both the vanilla AND CE sitting here, one from using a GS rewards coupon for a free guide and the other from when it pennied I think.:whistle2:#

I think I also saw 1-2 of the AC: Brotherhood guides in the same store.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: Apparently I need to jot down stuff that may be a penny cuz my closest BB had stacks of the vanilla FO NV guide today on the guide rack and it IS still showing up as $.01 on that page.

Not that I need any of that guide, since I think I have both the vanilla AND CE sitting here, one from using a GS rewards coupon for a free guide and the other from when it pennied I think.:whistle2:#

I think I also saw 1-2 of the AC: Brotherhood guides in the same store.[/QUOTE]Yea... it seems after the most recent BB drop when things were ringing up as not being available in the system that the OP didn't get updated. I think there are a lot of guides not listed in the OP floating around out there.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']Yea... it seems after the most recent BB drop when things were ringing up as not being available in the system that the OP didn't get updated. I think there are a lot of guides not listed in the OP floating around out there.[/QUOTE]
It definitely seems like it. I know I started checking that list that I posted a while ago with the link to check BB's prices in the system for each and many were coming up $.01 from it.

I found a Disney Universe CE at Best Buy today which rang up a penny with no override needed. I'd love to think that Best Buy is going back to penny guides, but I am guessing it rang up that way because it was done before they starting taking guides out of the system.

[quote name='Game Rogue']Guides pennied @ game stop today...

Prototype 2
Gears of War 3 CE
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 3 CE[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The OP has been updated!

[quote name='WNYX585AM']I found a Disney Universe CE at Best Buy today which rang up a penny with no override needed. I'd love to think that Best Buy is going back to penny guides, but I am guessing it rang up that way because it was done before they starting taking guides out of the system.[/QUOTE]

Yep, you were correct that dropped on June 16th. Which was a few weeks before they started dropping them out of the system.

Prototype 2
Gears of War 3 CE
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 3 CE[/QUOTE]

Confirmed. Thanks!

Prototype 2
Gears of War 3 CE
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 3 CE[/QUOTE]

Gamestop in my area sucks. Heading to trade list...

Prototype 2
Gears of War 3 CE
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 3 CE[/QUOTE]

Nice! I think I saw some of these guides at my store. Hope they haven't pulled I out yet. Hehe

Looks like it's time to see if there's another few CAGs that get lucky with guides from GS, as that's certainly not me with any of the GS stores out here.

I found about seven Fallout New Vegas guides today at BB. But since I know they wouldn't ring up right I let one of the managers I interviewed with last year know that they should be pennied and he proceeded to pull them. I figured I might as well do something nice for them since they've been giving me game deals out the wazoo lately.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I found about seven Fallout New Vegas guides today at BB. But since I know they wouldn't ring up right I let one of the managers I interviewed with last year know that they should be pennied and he proceeded to pull them. I figured I might as well do something nice for them since they've been giving me game deals out the wazoo lately.[/QUOTE]

are you feeling alright there buddy? your post is almost blasphemous to not even try to ring out with one guide, just for the fun of it!

[quote name='token2k6']are you feeling alright there buddy? your post is almost blasphemous to not even try to ring out with one guide, just for the fun of it![/QUOTE]
Yeah. I've gotten chummy with the managers there, so I'm trying to stay on their good side as it were.

Especially since they are having the one store up in NY state do a store transfer of one of those huge $21 cabinets to the local store for me.:D

[quote name='token2k6']are you feeling alright there buddy? your post is almost blasphemous to not even try to ring out with one guide, just for the fun of it![/QUOTE]
Somebody hijacked his account!

Wow.... I've checked even to post for you guys for the past five weeks and nothing. Today I'm on a road trip and it's the first day of a drop in a while. And I missed out on some as my main store already tossed them.

OH YEAH!!! Got 5 copies of Prototype 2, 2 copies of Gears of War 3 CE, and 1 copy of Twisted Metal! All at 1 Gamestop. The employees were so ignorant. They said that they had to sell them if they were ringing up a penny. After I bought the Gears of War guides, I decided to search some more for others and found the Twisted Metal and Prototype guides. They weren't happy, but who cares?

Also thought I'd throw it out there....yes I know this is the reduced STRATEGY GUIDE thread....but with continuing the penny drops from Gamestop....All Walking Dead figures dropped to .01 so when you go guide hunting check for the figures too! I got one of each zombie character!

[quote name='Rollobobo']Also thought I'd throw it out there....yes I know this is the reduced STRATEGY GUIDE thread....but with continuing the penny drops from Gamestop....All Walking Dead figures dropped to .01 so when you go guide hunting check for the figures too! I got one of each zombie character![/QUOTE]

Wow thanks! I would love some of those!

Dammit! I didn't bother to check for the Walking Dead figures! I did get a Prototype 2 guide though, so oh well. The employee said they had 2 copies in the back of Twisted Metal, Gears, and Uncharted but had to ask his boss about those. AKA he wants them. He said if they were still there by Saturday, I could have them. They're in the back, so crossing my fingers.

So I went to my local store and found the guides that pennies out. They had a new staff on duty! Didn't want to sell me the guides! Sucks!

Had Uncharted 3 LE and Twisted Metal in my hands, but got denied. Sad. Oh well, I had actually bought Uncharted 3 LE for myself but wanted a copy for my brother. Anyone with extras please check the trade list!

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']OH YEAH!!! Got 5 copies of Prototype 2, 2 copies of Gears of War 3 CE, and 1 copy of Twisted Metal! All at 1 Gamestop. The employees were so ignorant. They said that they had to sell them if they were ringing up a penny. After I bought the Gears of War guides, I decided to search some more for others and found the Twisted Metal and Prototype guides. They weren't happy, but who cares?[/QUOTE]

OH YEAH!!! Potentially screwed 4-5 CAGs out of guides! They're not happy, but who cares?

[quote name='gantt']OH YEAH!!! Potentially screwed 4-5 CAGs out of guides! They're not happy, but who cares?[/QUOTE]

Don't you know, he needs it for his "Trade" list. :roll:

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm going to go ape shit tommorow at my gamestop as mine has multiple copys of all of those !!!![/QUOTE]

How do you know? 99% of gamestops near me toss them the day of the drop.

Prototype 2
Gears of War 3 CE
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 3 CE[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much Game Rogue. I think today was my biggest guide score I've ever had a Gamestop. I just got 1 Gears of War CE, 1 Twisted Metal, and 1 Prototype 2. I've never walked out of a GS with 3 pennied guides. This store had 3 Uncharted 3 CE guides sitting on the shelf a few weeks ago, but those were gone already.

I think the last guides I got at Gamestop were Halo Reach CE and Fallout 3 GOTY (softcover). Before that the last guide I got was the Assassin's Creed 1 LE with artbook and Dead Space.

The stack of guides were behind the counter. I could see them and I asked the employee if I could buy them. She checked with the manager who said "just give them to him." There were really nice people at this store today.

Edit: Oh yeah, I got a Tomb Raider Underworld guide at GS just a few weeks ago for a penny. For some reason, they had that and Resident Evil 5 guides sitting on the front counter. I had a feeling they had to be pennied (probably over a year ago).

[quote name='jaybsooner']You can add the Regular edition of the Dragon Age II Guide to the drop list as well.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this as well. It was also sitting in the pile of penny guides behind the counter at my store. I didn't ask for one because I have a Dragon Age II CE from BB.

Neither of the GS in the Kalamazoo Mi area have the racks out anymore. All of the guides are in the back room and you have to ask for them. Before saying they have it, they check the inventory on the computer. Guess that means I will never get a penny guide around here again.

bread's done
Back