Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

Then it's a good thing I just happened to find this thread just now. :D Seriously, I never come to the deal discussions board...

[quote name='Chronis']Then it's a good thing I just happened to find this thread just now. :D Seriously, I never come to the deal discussions board...[/QUOTE]

Picked a good week to start checking. ;)

That's a testament to how well hidden this thread is compared to the main one. I've run into so many lurkers on my guide runs, it's ridiculous. I'll be grabbing guides and they'll come in while I'm in the process. They usually ask "You from that cheapass website?" and I'll say "Yeah, my screen name is Doomstink." Majority of them don't know what to respond but a few have said "I don't ever really post on the site." Sigh...

When it comes to guide drops, I really hate lurkers.

[quote name='Chronis']Then it's a good thing I just happened to find this thread just now. :D Seriously, I never come to the deal discussions board...[/QUOTE]
Ironically, the discussion thread has become the place to find out about drops, and the reduced price thread is the place for mindless chatter.

I'll be picking up at least 6 Fallout CEs next Monday for the local CAGs in Northeast Ohio.

If ya'll want one, then shoot me a PM or post it in the thread.

[quote name='dabamus']I'll be picking up at least 6 Fallout CEs next Monday for the local CAGs in Northeast Ohio.

If ya'll want one, then shoot me a PM or post it in the thread.[/QUOTE]
Is there anything in particulars you want to trade them for?

Preferably money since I'm trying to do this to raise funds for college in the fall, but I will look at trade lists also. :)

I haven't checked this thread as much as the other one. If there is a guide drop Monday, I wonder if I'll be able to score some. My BB, which I've almost always had good luck at, pulled them on the last drop. I guess I have to hope that someone slacks off next Monday.

You could do what I'm doing and show up right as they open. That way, they might not have the chance to pull them.

When I cleaned shop on GTA L&D and Chinatown Wars guides they didn't even know they were pennied.

[quote name='dabamus']You could do what I'm doing and show up right as they open. That way, they might not have the chance to pull them.

When I cleaned shop on GTA L&D and Chinatown Wars guides they didn't even know they were pennied.[/QUOTE]
That's what I usually do, but I didn't quite get there soon enough on the last drop. I got there maybe 10 or 15 minutes after opening.

Oh. I'm planning on camping at Panera with their free wifi until the update that Frosty is going to try to provide at 930, and then I'll head over shortly after.(all that is between Panera and it is a Target to drive past)

I talked to one of my friends at Gamestop and had mentioned the Penny Strategy Guides to her a few times. She told me last week they sent out a corporate memo to all of the stores and told them. That these penny guides must be destroyed. If any are sold the employee will get fired along with the manager of the store. So the days of guides at Gamestop may be limited

[quote name='averageguy']I talked to one of my friends at Gamestop and had mentioned the Penny Strategy Guides to her a few times. She told me last week they sent out a corporate memo to all of the stores and told them. That these penny guides must be destroyed. If any are sold the employee will get fired along with the manager of the store. So the days of guides at Gamestop may be limited[/QUOTE]

Geez. What's going on between the stores and the publishers? I'm guessing that Destroying these guides is a matter of national security.
Seriously though. I sure would like to know Exactly what the deal is. I've heard plenty of speculation (they get full reimbursement from the publishers for each guide they have "proven" to have destroyed, and crap like that). But I HIGHLY doubt that.

[quote name='sunnysky']Geez. What's going on between the stores and the publishers? I'm guessing that Destroying these guides is a matter of national security.
Seriously though. I sure would like to know Exactly what the deal is. I've heard plenty of speculation (they get full reimbursement from the publishers for each guide they have "proven" to have destroyed, and crap like that). But I HIGHLY doubt that.[/QUOTE]

If the guides are rung up as a penny, there's record that they sold at the price, so they can't get credit from the publishers for that. I don't know how much "proof" publishers need, but Gamestops might still just throw them out, and some stores would just give them away at that point. You'd probably just need to get there extremely quickly to find anything good. Most stores would probably still deny you if there's a risk of being fired, though.

[quote name='averageguy']I talked to one of my friends at Gamestop and had mentioned the Penny Strategy Guides to her a few times. She told me last week they sent out a corporate memo to all of the stores and told them. That these penny guides must be destroyed. If any are sold the employee will get fired along with the manager of the store. So the days of guides at Gamestop may be limited[/QUOTE]

Not being allowed to sell I can understand. Trashing them instead of giving them away is another story.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Not being allowed to sell I can understand. Trashing them instead of giving them away is another story.[/QUOTE]

If they consistently gave them away, then people just wouldn't buy the guides. they'd wait for them to penny out and go to gamestop waiting for a handout.

i guess BB is the only place to find penny guides around here.

[quote name='confoosious']If they consistently gave them away, then people just wouldn't buy the guides. they'd wait for them to penny out and go to gamestop waiting for a handout.

i guess BB is the only place to find penny guides around here.[/QUOTE]

That's what happened with me, is that I ended up getting used to the one GS store giving me guides for free once they pennied every drop for about 5-10 of them, so why should I pay for them?

Then they stopped giving me them, since most of the people got fired or quit, plus Best Buy ended up cracking down to the point where I couldn't find a single pennied guide for MONTHS. I ended up buying at least ONE guide at full price(GTAIV), though that was on cheap credit so I didn't feel so bad buying it.

But since then I've found at least one new place for me to get cheap guides from, so now I just go there and grab what I need or want, since they seem to get some of the newer ones that drop soon after they drop and they're usually around $3 each.

Plus, I've traded for the few that I've wanted/needed as of late, so no need to pay MSRP when you have a good trade list of stuff and plenty of people who need the ones you have.

[quote name='confoosious']If they consistently gave them away, then people just wouldn't buy the guides. they'd wait for them to penny out and go to gamestop waiting for a handout.

i guess BB is the only place to find penny guides around here.[/QUOTE]

Uh.......isn't that what WE do? Does not compute.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Uh.......isn't that what WE do? Does not compute.[/QUOTE]

What about this do you not understand? Because WE are snapping up penny guides and the GS realize they lose money on it, managers and employees have been warned they'd be fired for selling penny guides. WHy have the been warned? Because it makes no sense to give or sell guides at 1 penny because it creates behavior where no one would buy guides at full price. see IATCG's post above.

I suspect Best Buy will start cracking down soon too.

Why sell for a penny or give for free if you can get $10 or whatever credit back from the publisher for destroying them?

I suspect that if you become friends with a GS manager they might give you "destroyed" guides (those with covers ripped off and sent back to the publisher) but no more buying of penny guides at GS.

[quote name='confoosious']I suspect that if you become friends with a GS manager they might give you "destroyed" guides (those with covers ripped off and sent back to the publisher) but no more buying of penny guides at GS.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of this, I got a Star Ocean 2 guide from GS today. :) I was really hoping for it since I don't think BB has it, so no chance to get it there. But I just find it really weird that SO2 pennied and not the first.

But seriously, guys, just try and make friends with the Gamestop people. Despite the general CAG disdain of GS, the employees don't bite. It also helps if you try and act like your just a normal shopper. Look around, or maybe actually buy a cheap game you've been looking for. Don't just go to the desk saying "GIMME THE FIRE EMBLEM GUIDE! OH, I HEARD IT'S ON SALE! WINK WINK!!!"

[quote name='confoosious']What about this do you not understand? [/QUOTE]

That's what the people in this thread are already doing. Waiting for guides to drop to a penny and not buying them at full price.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']That's what the people in this thread are already doing. Waiting for guides to drop to a penny and not buying them at full price.[/QUOTE]

#-o

[quote name='confoosious']#-o[/QUOTE]

As incredibly helpful as a lone smilie is to making your point, you could clarify it a bit.

I'm trying to say that as far as we are concerned, either the guide is a penny and we buy them or it's full price and we don't, so refusing to sell them at anything other than MSRP is moot.

[quote name='confoosious']What about this do you not understand? Because WE are snapping up penny guides and the GS realize they lose money on it, managers and employees have been warned they'd be fired for selling penny guides. WHy have the been warned? Because it makes no sense to give or sell guides at 1 penny because it creates behavior where no one would buy guides at full price. see IATCG's post above.

Why sell for a penny or give for free if you can get $10 or whatever credit back from the publisher for destroying them?

I suspect that if you become friends with a GS manager they might give you "destroyed" guides (those with covers ripped off and sent back to the publisher) but no more buying of penny guides at GS.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like all customers are waiting for guides to penny out before snatching them up. You can't be more wrong about it. Just because we do doesn't mean everyone is. The majority of the guide buying public has no idea that these things drop to a penny after a while. Every release day I see tons of them paying full price to get the guide with the game. Heck, a few of my friends buy guides at full price regularly, even after I tell them the guides will penny out. They just want the guides at that time and don't want to wait. My point being both the guide publishers and stores make plenty of money on full price guides before they penny out.

[quote name='Josef']You make it sound like all customers are waiting for guides to penny out before snatching them up. You can't be more wrong about it. Just because we do doesn't mean everyone is. The majority of the guide buying public has no idea that these things drop to a penny after a while. Every release day I see tons of them paying full price to get the guide with the game. Heck, a few of my friends buy guides at full price regularly, even after I tell them the guides will penny out. They just want the guides at that time and don't want to wait. My point being both the guide publishers and stores make plenty of money on full price guides before they penny out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was kind of what I was saying because I didn't understand his point. You did a better job than I on making the point, however.

[quote name='confoosious']
[/QUOTE]

They've actually tried quite a bit. My friend who has worked at BB for three years has mentioned on a number of occassions that corporate had sent out memos warning employees about penny guides and telling them not to sell them. You've seen first hand how much good that has done. I don't think BB will ever be able to "crack down" unless they hire some more competent (and on the ball) media managers.

Plus BB has much bigger things to worry about in regards to inventory. The price and volume of guides puts it pretty much at the bottom of the priority list. Guides are much more noticeable on GS's radar due to them being directly tied to their primary revenue source.

Having been to 4 BB in the past week, I've come out with Penny guides in 3 of them. My hometown BB has almost completely just given up on guides. Having said that I would have to agree penny guides are on the bottom of BB's worries. Most people look at the price on the back and would rather spend $20 on a game than how to play a game. Honestly if it werent for this thread I wouldn't know either.
This is why I understand why GS is cracking down so hard. You could buy 3 rather crappy used games and still not spend as much for 1 guide. Still it all makes it part of the game, if you find it and they sell it to you kudos! I just think its a little harsh to fire someone over selling something that they may not know about.

[quote name='confoosious']What about this do you not understand? Because WE are snapping up penny guides and the GS realize they lose money on it, managers and employees have been warned they'd be fired for selling penny guides. WHy have the been warned? Because it makes no sense to give or sell guides at 1 penny because it creates behavior where no one would buy guides at full price. see IATCG's post above.

I suspect that if you become friends with a GS manager they might give you "destroyed" guides (those with covers ripped off and sent back to the publisher) but no more buying of penny guides at GS.[/QUOTE]

With the internet, including YouTube and Gamefaqs, WHY would anyone pay MSRP for a guide? Some of the guides on those two sites alone are better than some of the printed ones, some of which have even had errors in them.

If the employees at GS 'zero out' the guides that may still be on their shelves before simply giving them to a customer who finds them, they don't end up in deep shit for selling them(unless their DM finds out). I've had employees do this for me numerous times in the past year or two.

But as someone else already said, there are enough people who DO buy the guides when some games launch, so these things DO have to be selling or else it'd make no sense at all to keep printing them.

[quote name='Chronis']Speaking of this, I got a Star Ocean 2 guide from GS today. :) I was really hoping for it since I don't think BB has it, so no chance to get it there. But I just find it really weird that SO2 pennied and not the first.

But seriously, guys, just try and make friends with the Gamestop people. Despite the general CAG disdain of GS, the employees don't bite. It also helps if you try and act like your just a normal shopper. Look around, or maybe actually buy a cheap game you've been looking for. Don't just go to the desk saying "GIMME THE FIRE EMBLEM GUIDE! OH, I HEARD IT'S ON SALE! WINK WINK!!!"[/QUOTE]

Thing is, the manager at the one GS by me already knows me as 'the guide guy', so any chance of getting 'in' with him or his employees is nil.

Funny thing about that though, is that he was one of the managers around here letting me grab guides once they pennied. He would just 'zero them out' and hand me a bunch, assuming I found them before his employees had pulled them.

[quote name='neocisco']Plus BB has much bigger things to worry about in regards to inventory. The price and volume of guides puts it pretty much at the bottom of the priority list. Guides are much more noticeable on GS's radar due to them being directly tied to their primary revenue source.[/QUOTE]

Is it wrong for me to hope that all of us are able to buy enough pennied guides to try and put Gamestop in the same league as Circuit City?:D

[quote name='Doomstink']I don't think BB will ever be able to "crack down" unless they hire some more competent (and on the ball) media managers.[/QUOTE]
This is true, we've all lately seen how well it works when they simply pull the guides when they are supposed to. Seems pretty simple. Pull the guides. None are sold for a penny.

[quote name='Josef']You make it sound like all customers are waiting for guides to penny out before snatching them up. You can't be more wrong about it. Just because we do doesn't mean everyone is. The majority of the guide buying public has no idea that these things drop to a penny after a while. Every release day I see tons of them paying full price to get the guide with the game. Heck, a few of my friends buy guides at full price regularly, even after I tell them the guides will penny out. They just want the guides at that time and don't want to wait. My point being both the guide publishers and stores make plenty of money on full price guides before they penny out.[/QUOTE]

My point is that it makes no financial sense for gamestop (or BB or whatever) to sell a guide at a penny.

It doesn't matter whether you buy it at full price or not. For every guide that they sell at a penny, they lose money.

Now, the question is whether they should just give away the guides to customers who find them at a penny. And the answer is still no. 1) they risk getting in trouble with the publisher for fraud. 2) they create a behavior where the person they give it to will never buy a guide because they know eventually they can get it for free.

Now, whether that person will ever buy a guide at MSRP, 50% off or whatever is moot. The point is that it does GS no good. Do you think good will is created when they give some of you CAGs free guides? Of course not, the ones who get the free guides are the ones who bitch about GS policies left and right anyway.

If YOU were running a GS, would you sell penny guides if it cost you $10 every time you sold one? Would you give it to a customer that never ever pays full price for the guides you are stocking? Of course not.

[quote name='confoosious']My point is that it makes no financial sense for gamestop (or BB or whatever) to sell a guide at a penny.

It doesn't matter whether you buy it at full price or not. For every guide that they sell at a penny, they lose money.

Now, the question is whether they should just give away the guides to customers who find them at a penny. And the answer is still no. 1) they risk getting in trouble with the publisher for fraud. 2) they create a behavior where the person they give it to will never buy a guide because they know eventually they can get it for free.

Now, whether that person will ever buy a guide at MSRP, 50% off or whatever is moot. The point is that it does GS no good. Do you think good will is created when they give some of you CAGs free guides? Of course not, the ones who get the free guides are the ones who bitch about GS policies left and right anyway.

If YOU were running a GS, would you sell penny guides if it cost you $10 every time you sold one? Would you give it to a customer that never ever pays full price for the guides you are stocking? Of course not.[/QUOTE]

But the thing is, some of us have paid full price for guides in times past, like I have mentioned prior. Would I pay full price for any nowadays now that I know they drop to .01? Not really, especially since if I can't find it for a penny in store, I can typically trade for or buy whichever one I want from a fellow CAG for under MSRP.

Don't get me wrong, there are still shmoes who pay full MSRP for these things and it's those people that the publishers will almost certainly have as repeat customers for life. But now that I know better, I'll be damned if I will pay full price for any of these things when much of the same info contained within them is either available for free on the internet or I can pick up a copy for a penny once they drop the guides.

Like I've said before, me finding CAG was the worst thing that could've happened for retailers, since I was one of the aforementioned shmoes paying full MSRP for most of my gaming stuff.

But now, I wait for the inevitable sales and clearances before buying MOST games. There are certain exceptions(Grand Theft Auto series, though after GTA IV and the push towards 'realistic', I may wait and get the next one @ $30 new), but they are few and far between.

I have enough of backlog due to the games I've bought on sale/clearance and enough guides to trade for ones I really want(very few anymore that I will NEVER need to pay MSRP for anything gaming related again.

That's exactly my point. For every penny guide they sell or give away, that creates behavior in someone like you/me/random CAG that says "NEVER buy full priced."

Now, if BB and GS enforced the no penny guide rule, eventually, you'd actually have to go back to paying full price (or near it) for guides you want. Every penny guide sold is less money in their pockets. For example, I was desperate for a Civilization Rev guide. Now, I'm as cheap as the next guy but I'd probably have sprung for it after a while. But because I got a penny guide to trade for it, I saved myself ~$15. That's money out of the pockets of the retailer and the publisher.

I'm not really sure why people are having a hard time understanding that penny guides or giving away guides are bad for the retailer. I think they reason that "well, 1 can't hurt evil GS... what's the big deal?"

[quote name='confoosious']That's exactly my point. For every penny guide they sell or give away, that creates behavior in someone like you/me/random CAG that says "NEVER buy full priced."

Now, if BB and GS enforced the no penny guide rule, eventually, you'd actually have to go back to paying full price (or near it) for guides you want. Every penny guide sold is less money in their pockets. For example, I was desperate for a Civilization Rev guide. Now, I'm as cheap as the next guy but I'd probably have sprung for it after a while. But because I got a penny guide to trade for it, I saved myself ~$15. That's money out of the pockets of the retailer and the publisher.

I'm not really sure why people are having a hard time understanding that penny guides or giving away guides are bad for the retailer. I think they reason that "well, 1 can't hurt evil GS... what's the big deal?"[/QUOTE]

Thing is, I WANT to hurt 'evil GS', since I can't stand the fuckin' chain. Their TIV's suck, most of the promos suck and they test about .00001% of the shit they take in, so you have a better chance of getting something that's broken in some way, shape or form.

As far as paying full price for guides though, I'm sure there will always be stores that allow some to slip through, so there will almost definitely ALWAYS be a bunch of people who have them up for trade. If somehow BB/GS actually got smart and fully cracked down, it'd be a miracle and a horrible day for CAG in general.

But again, I don't see that happening anytime soon....if ever.

Well if you want to hurt GS or BB, that's your own choosing. Do as you see fit.

I just don't understand people who dont "get" that there are negatives. Like the ones who whine about managers not selling them penny guides like the manager is evil or something. Shit man, they're just running a business.

Thing is though, like I said, I've had NUMEROUS managers just GIVE me guides rather than ringing them up. They have told me that it 'prevents them from getting in trouble' and I know enough to keep it hush hush and not blurt out 'look what the manager just gave me for FREE' as loud as I can in the store.

To me, it makes NO SENSE to just junk out these things when someone COULD use them. Yes, I know it's fraud on the stores part to report them as 'destroyed' when they may have given them to a customer or whatever, but at least the damn things don't end up in a landfill taking up space.

I've heard both GS and BB employees claim that they 'recycle' the paper from these things, yet from the few CAG's I've known who have dumpster dived for these things, they were tossed aside like common trash in the same dumpster as ordinary garbage.

It's sickening to know that thousands of these things end up buried in the ground when just as many thousands of gamers could've used these things....if they'd stop fuckin' pricing them at $20 a clip.

You're not telling me it costs $20 to compile and print all of the info in these guides. Of course, the fact that more stores don't discount them before just pennying them out is ridiculous too.

Why is it a choice between $20 or nothing for guides?

in this rare case i agree with iatcg. besides gta i never pay full price as a matter of fact i got gta iv for 49.99 , so i have never paid full price and i wont for a game, after finding cag. hell i even take things learned here and use em other places.

not only that but going in to kmart and sears and target so much with my girl she has spring and fall clothes out the butt. clearence is best word ever.

I also agree, getting guides for a penny is nice but if they're just getting a ~$10 credit from the publisher why not just clearance them for that price. Lack of shelf space I guess? But if they just put up a clearance sign I bet they'd sell most of them pretty quick.

Finally, the publishers could probably stand to make guides cheaper to begin with. Stop trying to sell them as a premium collectible for one thing. And maybe it's just me but even $15 would be easier to stomach than $20.

[quote name='confoosious']That's exactly my point. For every penny guide they sell or give away, that creates behavior in someone like you/me/random CAG that says "NEVER buy full priced."

I'm not really sure why people are having a hard time understanding that penny guides or giving away guides are bad for the retailer. I think they reason that "well, 1 can't hurt evil GS... what's the big deal?"[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you still don't get it. Nobody "HAS" to pay full price for it. There's still the option to not buy it at all for any price. Again, most of the people on this board aren't going to pay full price for a guide. It's not like it's medicine, or anything. All of us would PREFER to have a guide, but we're happy with getting the FAQs online in lieu of spending $17.99 - $19.99.

I think we all in agreement that selling a guide for a penny is a bad business move for a retailer, however, a permanent ban on selling penny guides is going to do little to nothing as far as we're concerned. Most of us say "it's either a penny or it's nothing". There's the rare exception that a guide might sell for $5, or something and a lot of us would bite the bullet for a guide they wanted.

The bottom line is that if retailers want to keep guides at full price, then that makes sense from THEIR standpoint. But it won't force most CAGs into buying them at full price because we do want makes sense from OUR standpoint.

Now, if BB and GS enforced the no penny guide rule, eventually, you'd actually have to go back to paying full price (or near it) for guides you want...[/QUOTE]

This creating of behavior you're citing already exists in the people that are reading this. This is CAG. We wouldn't be on this site in the first place if we didn't already have that mentality. In the second paragraph, you're assuming most of ever paid full price for a guide. Speaking for myself (but probably most others), I have NEVER paid MSRP for a guide and I never will, particularly at the ridiculous prices they're charging for them now. It's either deeply discounted ($5 max) or not at all.

[quote name='neocisco']This creating of behavior you're citing already exists in the people that are reading this. This is CAG. We wouldn't be on this site in the first place if we didn't already have that mentality. In the second paragraph, you're assuming most of ever paid full price for a guide. Speaking for myself (but probably most others), I have NEVER paid MSRP for a guide and I never will, particularly at the ridiculous prices they're charging for them now. It's either deeply discounted ($5 max) or not at all.[/QUOTE]

I would still pay amazon price ($7-8 less than MSRP) for a lot of the RPGs guides that I know will be hard to find penny. I was glad to pay $10 for the Persona 4 guide as well.

[quote name='62t']I would still pay amazon price ($7-8 less than MSRP) for a lot of the RPGs guides that I know will be hard to find penny. I was glad to pay $10 for the Persona 4 guide as well.[/QUOTE]

I can totally dig that. That makes sense, when the guide is rare or has value. Neo is 100% right on point for all the rest. MSRP = a don't buy for a CAG.

[quote name='62t']I would still pay amazon price ($7-8 less than MSRP) for a lot of the RPGs guides that I know will be hard to find penny. I was glad to pay $10 for the Persona 4 guide as well.[/QUOTE]

Hell, I paid full retail for the Persona 3 guide when it came out. Never saw it at any stores after that too.

Reminder to Northeast Ohio CAGs(and Western PA): I'm going to hopefully score a bunch of Fallout 3 LE guides and PoP LE guides tomorrow, so PM me if you want me to try to get one for you!

Provided they drop of course.

As great as the research that was done is (and its very appreciated), its not a 100% guarantee.

Still though, I'll be trying at opening anyways. Besides, its near my bank and I have to get a new bank book as it is.

I'm on summer break from college, and I had an internship part of the summer and couldn't find a job for the rest, so I have nothing better to do. :p

I'll be at Panera with my laptop waiting for the 930 update, and then if they drop I'll drive the half a mile down the strip to BB.

I really hope something drops so everyone doesn't hate me. I've been saying it's not a guarantee.
So it turns out that me and my fellow employee weren't allowed to switch days. My boss tonight just told me to come in since everything's covered. So I'll be there at 9:15am and I will post either way.
No matter what happens I'll learn some new stuff that will help predict the drops better. Unless it really is sorta random. Which admittedly it appears to be.

bread's done
Back