Reduced Price Guides-Discussion Thread

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If that's the case, then the Kmart and the other major deal threads would have to be rebooted every two weeks.:roll: I'm getting the sneaking suspicion more and more that the closure was due to the personal distaste of the mods with the topic(s) of discussion in the 'old' guide thread.

If that's the case, then whichever ones are showing bias and locking threads due to such issues need to step down since they cannot moderate the forum evenly. Case in point, all of the ninja editing/deletions of posts that in no way, shape or form go against the TOS of CAG.[/QUOTE]
And what about the Super Mario All-Stars thread(s)? Both of those have had no deals, and nothing but complaining/fanboys/hoarding talk. Is there even a topic of discussion in that thread? It boggles the mind why the guide thread had such a short life.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If that's the case, then the Kmart and the other major deal threads would have to be rebooted every two weeks.:roll: I'm getting the sneaking suspicion more and more that the closure was due to the personal distaste of the mods with the topic(s) of discussion in the 'old' guide thread.

If that's the case, then whichever ones are showing bias and locking threads due to such issues need to step down since they cannot moderate the forum evenly. Case in point, all of the ninja editing/deletions of posts that in no way, shape or form go against the TOS of CAG.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some of the mods need to gtfo sometimes. The guide thread looked harmless and much like every other deal thread which turns to off-topic/discussion and less about the deal after several pages. If they're going to start closing threads for that reason they should go through and close any larger deal thread.

I enjoyed reading the guide thread even if there wasn't any drops because it was humorous and interesting.

[quote name='ackbar7']And what about the Super Mario All-Stars thread(s)? Both of those have had no deals, and nothing but complaining/fanboys/hoarding talk. Is there even a topic of discussion in that thread? It boggles the mind why the guide thread had such a short life.[/QUOTE]
That's every thread on here anymore though it seems. Just go into any specific game thread and you'll find people comparing the different versions of games and using whatever skewed logic they can find to show that their version on their console has 1 more pixel than the next leading console's version and as such is the 'superior' version.:lol:

I really miss the days when people just played games for fun and didn't nitpick over every little thing.:cry:

Query from a guide-drop newb here: Did they ever do a price reduction on FINAL FANTASY XII CE at Gamestop? I saw one locally, kinda beat up, and it surprised me that they would still charge full price for a guide four years old. Are there some guides that never drop and just randomly float around at a preset MSRP?

That guide is priced at $14.99 and has never dropped to a penny. Every GS store around here has had about 14 or so of them EACH since the game came out.:lol:

Well, with some classic games such as the mainline FF rpgs, you'll find that they continue printing years after the game was released. This is why you'll still see some old timey FF guides at Barnes & Noble and GS. If they keep selling, they'll often keep printing, albeit in smaller numbers. If publishers still want the guides on the shelves of the stores, they *won't* penny them out.

[quote name='62t']The original FFVII is still in print[/QUOTE]

:hot: I did not know this. I've been wondering why some of the Playstation Final Fantasy Guides have been spiking and plummeting in price like a rollercoaster ride.

I can't wait for loxthefox update :D I'm betting ODST is finally going to hit that .01.

EDIT: It looks like it's Final Fantasy XIII, Dead Rising 2, Mario Galaxy 2, and Medal Of Honor so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, from the ones listed so far most of them in my area are only available for Ship to Store. If I were to order some and not pick them up in the 7/8 days (whatever it is) so they don't charge me, what happens to the guides? Do they put them on the shelf in store or send them back from wherever they got them?

Hello fellow CAGers, long time thread follower, first time attempter has 2 questions. You can PM me the answer if its not known to be made public:

1) These BBY drops are they to .01?
2) Do you guys do just straight checkout with nothing else at the price or add something else to not arise suspicion?
3)Any way to check price before attempting to checkout?

[quote name='nas6034']Hello fellow CAGers, long time thread follower, first time attempter has 2 questions. You can PM me the answer if its not known to be made public:

2) Do you guys do just straight checkout with nothing else at the price or add something else to not arise suspicion?
3)Any way to check price before attempting to checkout?[/QUOTE]

I agree with Donkey

1) Yes
2) I usually buy some gum/candy
3) No and don't ask an employee to do it for you. These lists are accurate so we should be frosty.

List has been posted:
[quote name='loxthefox']First of all, sorry it took me so long to get the list up. I was held late at work, super busy through the day, all that jazz.

Now then, here is what will drop tomorrow:

Assassin's Creed II
Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows
Cheat Code Overload Summer 2010
Codes And Cheats Fall 2010
Dead Rising 2 LE
Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
Final Fantasy XIII L.E.
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes Of Light
Front Mission Evolved
God Of War: Ghosts Of Sparta
Goldeneye 007
Halo 3 ODST
James Bond 007: Blood Stone
Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Lego Universe
Lost Planet 2
Medal Of Honor LE
Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Resident Evil 5
The Sly Collection
Sonic Colors
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Super Mario Galaxy 2 LE
Super Scribblenauts
Tron Evolution

I'll add SKU's later.

Happy Huntings![/QUOTE]

Excellent lox, thanks :D

[quote name='nas6034']Hello fellow CAGers, long time thread follower, first time attempter has 2 questions. You can PM me the answer if its not known to be made public:

3)Any way to check price before attempting to checkout?[/QUOTE]
:bomb:

Hey fellow Cagers, was wondering if I could get some advice. Some of the local BB's by me have some penny guides leftover (specifically, ME2 LE), but there's no sku on there (its only on the outer packaging, which is gone. Or something. Idk. Anyway, ). So when the employee looks up the price on the Best Buy site, it comes up $40, or $20, or something like that. Is there anything anybody can think of that would let me buy it for a penny? Thanks in advance!

[quote name='jetlag16']Hey fellow Cagers, was wondering if I could get some advice. Some of the local BB's by me have some penny guides leftover (specifically, ME2 LE), but there's no sku on there (its only on the outer packaging, which is gone. Or something. Idk. Anyway, ). So when the employee looks up the price on the Best Buy site, it comes up $40, or $20, or something like that. Is there anything anybody can think of that would let me buy it for a penny? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I know what you're talking about. Damn, the only way I can think of is if you give him the SKU directly and that is 9738326 (for ME2 L.E.). You may want to wait until one of the experienced CAGs weighs in on this or just PM them.

[quote name='jetlag16']Hey fellow Cagers, was wondering if I could get some advice. Some of the local BB's by me have some penny guides leftover (specifically, ME2 LE), but there's no sku on there (its only on the outer packaging, which is gone. Or something. Idk. Anyway, ). So when the employee looks up the price on the Best Buy site, it comes up $40, or $20, or something like that. Is there anything anybody can think of that would let me buy it for a penny? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I had the same experience. The ME2 LE had its plastic cover removed, so scanned it came up as $40. Lucky for me the person knew about the reduced price, and when questioned I acted confused and surprised. in the end she just gave it to me as a gift.

I dont think they'll take the SKU. their gonna think something is fishy if the guides ring up as $40, but when they stick in the digits you give em, it rings up as .01

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Why not take a look at the guide wiki in post #3 in the main thread?[/QUOTE]

whoops. :whistle2:&
i gotta catch myself next time.

Looking at the other thread, many of you did awesome this time around. Way to go. I scored one torn up copy of FF 4 Heroes of Light. Which I'm glad for, don't get me wrong. But I was seriously hoping for a FF XIII CE for my bro.

Funny, I was so looking forward to 4 heroes and got it on release day. And.. its still sealed upstairs on my ds racks.

Only guide i wanted that i didn't get was the FFXIII CE guide, but i already have a personal copy so no biggie. It would have been trade bait to try to get a Starcraft 2 LE guide, so hopefully I can finagle one out of the other guides i got.

My final haul after guides I kept were these for trade

Assasin's Creed II
Castlevania Lord of Shadows X2
Dead Rising 2 CE guide X6
Enslaved Guide
Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light
Front Mission Evolved X3
Medal of Honor CE Guide X6
Resident Evil 5 X3
Sly Collection X3
Super Mario Galaxy 2 CE X2
Super Scribblenauts
Zelda Spirit Tracks

Just wanted to thank you guys for your advice, ended up picking up ME 2 CE for $0.01 : ) Turns out my local bb usually sends their guides out, so I won't get any more. But w/e. I've got a whole trunk full of old guides I still need to get rid of = / Anyway, thanks again!

Ahhhh... Drove two hours out to Macon because the online thingy showed they had a good assortment of guides and I hit the motherload. Of Nothing. "oh sorry, they've been pulled from the system and are being sent back." So I spent two hours driving back thinking, "darn you following the rules!!! you're supposed to make an exception for me."

Gad, my back is killing me. Lesson learned: four hours of driving is NOT worth the pain.

[quote name='guinaevere']Ahhhh... Drove two hours out to Macon because the online thingy showed they had a good assortment of guides and I hit the motherload. Of Nothing. "oh sorry, they've been pulled from the system and are being sent back." So I spent two hours driving back thinking, "darn you following the rules!!! you're supposed to make an exception for me."

Gad, my back is killing me. Lesson learned: four hours of driving is NOT worth the pain.[/QUOTE]

4 hours?! thats such a huge risk for guides! i feel ya man. i have driven things out of my way (about 20 mins), and got squat :bomb:. although its not as bad as 2 hrs.

[quote name='david12795']4 hours?! thats such a huge risk for guides! i feel ya man. i have driven things out of my way (about 20 mins), and got squat :bomb:. although its not as bad as 2 hrs.[/QUOTE]

2 hrs/ is it worth it over these guides? i drive only 15 mins.

[quote name='guinaevere']Ahhhh... Drove two hours out to Macon because the online thingy showed they had a good assortment of guides and I hit the motherload. Of Nothing. "oh sorry, they've been pulled from the system and are being sent back." So I spent two hours driving back thinking, "darn you following the rules!!! you're supposed to make an exception for me."

Gad, my back is killing me. Lesson learned: four hours of driving is NOT worth the pain.[/QUOTE]

I have a BB 5 mins from my house and I haven't made an effort yet. (mostly because they always pre-pull).

FYI - The FFXIII HC guides are hitting eBay.

I just picked up a sealed one for a reasonable BIN, there's also a lot of $0.99 auction style listings.

eBay

These were limited to 210,000; that's a pretty small print considering the franchise...and it's PiggyBack

To put that in perspective, there are 96,295 more CAG members than guides.

If you can get this under $20 shipped, it's a good deal.

Macon!? It might be time to round up the other ATL CAG's for an intervention.

[quote name='Muthafodder']FYI - The FFXIII HC guides are hitting eBay.

I just picked up a sealed one for a reasonable BIN, there's also a lot of $0.99 auction style listings.

eBay

These were limited to 210,000; that's a pretty small print considering the franchise...and it's PiggyBack

If you can get this under $20 shipped, it's a good deal.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many of these sellers are employees, slickdealers, and CAGs (I'm not judging the CAGs, just the slickdealers and employees! :D). And how many are random people who just happened to buy the guide on Monday...

[quote name='Muthafodder']FYI - The FFXIII HC guides are hitting eBay.

eBay

If you can get this under $20 shipped, it's a good deal.[/QUOTE]
I don't suppose you noticed the auction listing with FIVE of them showing in the one photo. Of course, they're only selling ONE in said auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Final-Fantasy-X...581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b7697275

[quote name='neocisco']Macon!? It might be time to round up the other ATL CAG's for an intervention.[/QUOTE]Pfft. you guys never want to meet with me.

I didn't realize how far it acually was. :whistle2:#

I'm rarely lucky at finding guides at GS but I actually got an AC:B C.E. today :D I swear that girl talks video games like no other chick I've heard. She's a damn thick sexy blonde too :D

I don't know why I didn't ask if they had the Halo Reach L.E. :wall:I think her pretty blue eyes threw me off my train of thought.

[quote name='chefazn']Lucky! Do you have the sku for ACB CE? I can't find it online =(.[/QUOTE]

Sadly there's no way to use the sku on Gamestops site like there is on Bestbuy. It just leads to a broken URL.

[quote name='chefazn']Lucky! Do you have the sku for ACB CE? I can't find it online =(.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ultragamer']Sadly there's no way to use the sku on Gamestops site like there is on Bestbuy. It just leads to a broken URL.[/QUOTE]

Yes I do but as Ultragamer stated above, there is no way to use it. I'll post it anyway Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE SKU#: 830352

Hey guys, I had a question. I managed to get a FF XIII C.E. at GS today but it wasn't sealed. The pages inside are clean but the covers are slightly dirty. Those of you who own an unsealed copy, have y'all cleaned the covers? And if so, with what?

A google search returned idea of using rubbing alcohol on the covers but I don't know if that is a good idea :whistle2:k

Argh, I read this wrong. I thought Best Buy had the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE reduced and not Gamestop. I left a Brotherhood at GS on the shelf, and went to BB and tried to pick it up there.

They had 9 copies of Brotherhood, thought Jesus loved me.

[quote name='htown01']Hey guys, I had a question. I managed to get a FF XIII C.E. at GS today but it wasn't sealed. The pages inside are clean but the covers are slightly dirty. Those of you who own an unsealed copy, have y'all cleaned the covers? And if so, with what?

A google search returned idea of using rubbing alcohol on the covers but I don't know if that is a good idea :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Dude, I have the same situation. Got the guide, but it looks filthy and I need some way to clean it.

Edit - Alrighty, so I tried a cleaning an old textbook with a bit of smudges on it using a slightly moist (no drips) papertowel and a spec of dishwater detergent. It worked well, and I went to try it on the FF XIII CE guide, and it looks brand new now. The logo is a lot shinier than I thought it'd be.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Argh, I read this wrong. I thought Best Buy had the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood CE reduced and not Gamestop. I left a Brotherhood at GS on the shelf, and went to BB and tried to pick it up there.

They had 9 copies of Brotherhood, thought Jesus loved me.
[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, it was GS not BB. Jesus still loves you rabbit! :grouphug:

Dude, I have the same situation. Got the guide, but it looks filthy and I need some way to clean it.

Edit - Alrighty, so I tried a cleaning an old textbook with a bit of smudges on it using a slightly moist (no drips) papertowel and a spec of dishwater detergent. It worked well, and I went to try it on the FF XIII CE guide, and it looks brand new now. The logo is a lot shinier than I thought it'd be.
I forgot to post back but the alcohol worked great :D I used a 70% isopropyl alcohol with fairly thick cotton balls. I slightly soaked the cotton ball and wiped in a downward motion, I didn't dare touch the logo with the alcohol :lol: I wiped it down with a clean, soft, white cloth. It now looks like new :D

Thanks for posting your cleaning method :) I should try that.

Are these deals all YMMV?

I got off early today, so I made a few stops to several Bestbuy and Gamestop locations. I was able to find one 4 Heroes and 1 Spirit Tracks LE, but a few other ones on the list all rang up at full price.

One location even rang up 4 Heroes at 19.99.

Some store employees at Gamestop are told to do an override if something rings up at a penny. If you saw them press a few buttons after scanning the guide, then that's what most likely happened there.

They can do the same thing at Best Buy, but you can at least see the screen on the register while they're scanning them there.

He didn't touch anything. It was just quickly scanned, and looking at the touchpad below, it was an instant pop up of 19.99 over at GS. I kinda don't even want to go to that location anymore.

Man that override at BB is gonna catch me off guard. Each time the manager pops up at the register, I've always gotten a, "Oh, he can have it."

Edit - I see that the Super Mario Premier Edition was not the discounted one though. The others still stand.

bread's done
Back