Refurb Macbook or New?

ndshide

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Ok, I'm buying a macbook after Christmas and have a couple of options. I can get a refurbished one for $799 or I can get a new one for 1049 with the education discount. The refurb has a core duo processor where the new one has a core 2 duo. What is the main difference? If i'm not using photoshop / other resource hogs, will I notice a difference? Anyway, the specs are as follows. Also, I feel I can upgrade my own ram, so thats not an issue. Also, is the AppleCare warranty something thats worth getting? Edit: Also, i found one with 20gigs more HD Space, a super drive, and a gig of ram that I just posted. I have an external HD that I would use with it, and an external burner, but the extra space and internal burner would be nice. Is that worth it?

Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White - $799

512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White - $1049

1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White - $1049
  • 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 512MB memory
  • 60GB hard drive1
  • Combo drive

Don't get a macbook.

But if you insist, get the one with the core 2 duo, as the c2d line is processors is the best on the market right now.
It'll definitely make a difference.

[quote name='ndshide']Why do you say this?[/quote]Partly because they've had all kinds of issues reported with them (I don't remember specifics though, and I don't know if the problems have been taken care of or not yet.

But mainly because its a mac.

So you are a Windows/Unix person? I'm set on the Mac OS as I have been using my friends and love it. I'm getting a macbook no matter what, but i'm just trying to decide what one I need to get

get the macbook core 2 duo because you will see a difference in speed with running all sorts of programs... also get the refursbished one but instore since you will get original box and stuff. oh and get the white one with the superdrive.

Go to any apple store (the bigger the better) and ask if they have any "refreshed" macbooks. Refreshed products, (usually, apple only) are products that customers returned within the two week return policy. You will get the same warranty as a new product, box, accesorries...etc. The discount is 10%.

S

PS, Refreshed products are current items. If you want to get a core 2 duo machine, this is your best bet.

The other slightly shaddy option is to just buy it new off the student page on apple.com. The last I check they don't do a background check to see if you are a student. That is how I got my macbook pro! ;) 10% discount as well.

Lastly, if you are into PC gaming and can afford it, I would get a macbook pro (has a dedicated graphics card). I run bootcamp and a lot of games run really well. Halflife 2 runs like a champ.

I have a Macbook and I love it, I had an issue with mine, I got it when released in May but Apple fixed it quickly. I bought 3 more in November for work, they are all perfect. I would go for the internal burner and larger hard drive for sure, it comes with the iLife suite which takes up quite a bit of harddrive space.

I work on Windows computers and Servers for a living and let me tell you I like my Macbook a lot, the OS is far superior.

Apple Care is worth getting, you can get it on an Edu discount for $180, pretty much you get piece of mind for 3 years, and unlike other companies when you call (at least if you have apple care) I have always gotten an American. This is not only hardware support but OS support as well.

Also if you can wait, Macworld is January 15h, it is almost certain they will release iLife 07 there, so if you wait until then you will get that free with your Macbook rather than 06.

[quote name='LiquidNight']

But mainly because its a mac.[/QUOTE]

You're a retard.

Anyway, I would go with the new macbook. I used my friends form the first time and it was sweet. Everything about it was great. You won't regret your purchase.

Ok, I just found out also that I get an additional discount on refurbs for working at Best Buy. I can get an additional hundred bucks off the $799 refurb to make it $699. I'm leaning towards this right now, unless the difference of the Core 2 Duo will make a HUGE difference.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Don't get a macbook.

But if you insist, get the one with the core 2 duo, as the c2d line is processors is the best on the market right now.
It'll definitely make a difference.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LiquidNight']
But mainly because its a mac.[/QUOTE]

Yea don't buy one cause its a mac and it has the best cpu on the market. But just because of the name branding means you shouldn't buy the best cpu on the market. Nice logic

Apple makes the best products. Thats not a fan talking thats based off of reports, and studies. They have the most reliable PC's, and best customer support. They make fine computers. Mac, and Windows are both great OS's. However some people feel the need to bash one or the other. Because the thought of being open minded, and trying something new scares them.

If a superdrive (dvd burning) isn't important to you then grab one of these two.

Refurbished MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo - White - $799
512MB memory (2x256MB SODIMMs)
60GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)

MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White - $1049

* 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 512MB memory
* 60GB hard drive1
* Combo drive

Yeah, the superdrive isnt a huge deal. I have an external burner that is faster than the superdrive would be anyway. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Refurb Core Duo because I get an extra $100 of, making the price $699.

[quote name='munch']You're a retard.[/quote]I'm a retard because I happen to abhor OSX and advise against getting a computer with it?

[quote name='CitizenB']Yea don't buy one cause its a mac and it has the best cpu on the market. But just because of the name branding means you shouldn't buy the best cpu on the market. Nice logic[/quote]
There are Laptops with Core 2 Duos out there that aren't Macs :roll: .

[quote name='LiquidNight']I
There are Laptops with Core 2 Duos out there that aren't Macs :roll: .[/QUOTE]

I know the C2D is in other laptops. But you said "get one" with a C2D we were talking about Macs so I presumed you meant a Mac since you didn't specify another laptop.

[quote name='CitizenB']I know the C2D is in other laptops. But you said "get one" with a C2D we were talking about Macs so I presumed you meant a Mac since you didn't specify another laptop.[/quote]I did mean a mac.

I said don't get a mac, but if you insist, get one with a c2d.

If all you do is web surfing, Word, email, chatting, watching DVD, music, then there is no need to spend that extra $350 on the Core 2 Duo. I have the regular Core Duo Macbook and it does everything I need it to do. Sure, Core Duo loses to Core 2 Duo in benchmarks, but do you care so much about the extra numbers you get at the end of the bragging progs that you'll be willing to spend the extra money for? Let's shop smart.

[quote name='LiquidNight']I'm a retard because I happen to abhor OSX and advise against getting a computer with it?

[/QUOTE]

No, you're a retard because you make blanket statements with no justification behind it. If you would have said something even remotely germane like, "I don't think you should get a Mac for x, y, and z" then that would have been fine.

Instead, you make yourself look like an ass by saying "mainly because it's a mac." Which is different from saying I don't like OSX, you know?

And I think OSX rocks. It's the little things like and ease of use that I like.

[quote name='LiquidNight']I'm a retard because I happen to abhor OSX and advise against getting a computer with it?[/QUOTE]

No, for coming into a thread like this to let everyone know you feel this way. I hate Windows with a passion, but I'm not going to go into a thread about PCs just to make that known.

[quote name='megashock5']No, you're a coming into a thread like this to let everyone know you feel this way. I hate Windows with a passion, but I'm not going to go into a thread about PCs just to make that known.[/QUOTE]

you just did.

I always buy refurbished macs because they are cheaper and they ALWAYS look new and come with everything the new ones do. The only difference is the box...

bread's done
Back