Refurbished 60GB PS3 $273 @ Newegg [OOS]

thats what i paid for mine on ebay last year i guess its an ok deal if you want backwards compatibility i wonder if it has a warranty

[quote name='bredbu']thats what i paid for mine on ebay last year i guess its an ok deal if you want backwards compatibility i wonder if it has a warranty[/QUOTE]

It says 90 days on their website for the warranty

I really want a ps3 but really hate that they removed BC. All mew models have BC removed, am I correct? To me this makes this model much more desirable. I need to do some research into the ps3 soon to decide what to buy, but if no new models play ps2 games, that's sort of a dealbreaker.

[quote name='icedrake523']Which means waiting until Black Friday.

YMM[/QUOTE]

im pretty positive its not ymmv, ps3 slim is bout 300$ everywhere plus Backward compatibility is over rated ....if you google it the BW compat. was not as good as playing it on the ps2 console. The firmware sux and is not BW for every game.The ps2 chip in the first gens ps3's does allow for full BW compat. but the graphix are degraded ...dunno if its because we expect more now due to the 1080p/720p res. we are used to now, or if sony chinz on it but pretty much if you want to play ps2 games, you should have a ps2. Besides all this backwards crap started with the ps2 with psx games and every console before that pretty much just moved on. I had BW compat and i refused to give up my 20gb. when it went to sh*t and i had to get a new one, i never even noticed i didn't have it. i'm to pre-occupied with the new gen games that are coming out ( with the exception of a few games. ex. rpgs, fighting etc). This is exactly why xbox 360 moved on and quit on Backward compatibility because all it is, is a set back. Slows down progression of game console Capabilities. Same goes for the blu-ray BS, xbox will never go blu-ray because microsoft know's that the future is all about digital and virtual stuff ... why buy a blu-ray disc when you can download or rent over a streaming server in the same HD quality not to mention you can store on a HDD. you have to take alot of things into considering when buying stuff if you are a cheap ass because you don't want a failure ...Ex. MiniDisc player that was murdered by the virtual owning of mp3 music on mp3 players.

sony site has ps3 slim msrp @ 300
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/120gb.html
price drops to 250$ during promos or holidays

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I really want a ps3 but really hate that they removed BC. All mew models have BC removed, am I correct? To me this makes this model much more desirable. I need to do some research into the ps3 soon to decide what to buy, but if no new models play ps2 games, that's sort of a dealbreaker.[/QUOTE]

If you have a PS2, you might as well just get a new (i.e. stable and under warranty) PS3. Yes, the 60GB's got some nice perks, but they're really not that important. 99% of the time, you'll use your PS3 to play PS3 games.

[quote name='cheko']im pretty positive its not ymmv, ps3 slim is bout 300$ everywhere plus Backward compatibility is over rated ....if you google it the BW compat. was not as good as playing it on the ps2 console. The firmware sux and is not BW for every game.The ps2 chip in the first gens ps3's does allow for full BW compat. but the graphix are degraded ...dunno if its because we expect more now due to the 1080p/720p res. we are used to now, or if sony chinz on it but pretty much if you want to play ps2 games, you should have a ps2. Besides all this backwards crap started with the ps2 with psx games and every console before that pretty much just moved on. I had BW compat and i refused to give up my 20gb. when it went to sh*t and i had to get a new one, i never even noticed i didn't have it. i'm to pre-occupied with the new gen games that are coming out ( with the exception of a few games. ex. rpgs, fighting etc). This is exactly why xbox 360 moved on and quit on Backward compatibility because all it is, is a set back. Slows down progression of game console Capabilities. Same goes for the blu-ray BS, xbox will never go blu-ray because microsoft know's that the future is all about digital and virtual stuff ... why buy a blu-ray disc when you can download or rent over a streaming server in the same HD quality not to mention you can store on a HDD. you have to take alot of things into considering when buying stuff if you are a cheap ass because you don't want a failure ...Ex. MiniDisc player that was murdered by the virtual owning of mp3 music on mp3 players."

so much wrong here its not even funny. The 60gb ps3 model listed on this page is 100% backwards compatible with all ps2 games. As far as your argument that it would be better played on a ps2, this is also factually inaccurate. The ps3 has whats called an 'upscaler' in it, so when you play dvds, or ps1/2 games that don't run at HD resolutions the PS3 upscales them to HD, and makes them look much nicer than if they were being played on a ps3. Now initially there was some software issues with the ps3 and games didnt render properly with antialiasing, and looked more jaggy then on ps2, but this issue has long since been adressed, and all games look much better running on a ps3. about 90% of the games on ps2 aren't even progressive scan compatible meaning they don't even run at 480p, so if you have an HDTV, the backwards compatibly combined with the upscaler in the ps3 means you actually get a much sharper clearer image than you would have if you had played it on a ps2....

Just because you don't have a need for backwards compatbility doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people with huge librarys of ps2 games that continue to play them, and would like to enjoy them on their hdtv. Microsoft stopped updating xbox backwards compatibility because nearly every decent xbox game is already available for backwards compatibility, so there was no need to continue work on that.

As for BluRay movies being useless when you can stream all your video for free online. Please show me one single site where you can watch a uncompressed 1080p HD video of a movie that just came out on bluray. XBOX will never have bluray because it would directly support microsoft's competition (Sony created and owns the licensing rights to bluray). While digital media is the next generation, physical media isn't going any where for a long time.

please refrain from posting your uninformed bias as fact!

"please refrain from posting your uninformed bias as fact!"--jamesesdad

lmao ok buddy .... obviously you are a angry person who doesn't want to see the truth, btw i do know what i'm talking about because i am Microsoft certified and am in direct affiliation with Microsoft ... hey, i own both systems... i aint knocking Sony ( I Have a free Ps3 Content page for petesake lol http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261442), but it is what it is,
here is a little taste of proof. O & BTW don't get so offended over a little passed on info people are entitled to do what they want.Point of the matter is dont use Back ward compatibility or Blu-ray capabilities as the basis to buy a ps3, buy it for its purpose new gen gaming, simple as that, and get the best price for it hence why "we are all cheap ass gamers." refurbished 60gb ps3 for 273$ or brand new slim ps3 with 120gb and Sony Warranty for 250$-300$ ( difference of -23$ 0r +27$) you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

[quote name='prateeko']Just remember folks, these original ones produce more heat and have a higher failure rate than later models (YLoD)[/QUOTE]

Really? Mine is going strong. Day 1 purchase.

I bought my PS3 60GB at the same time my friend bought his 80GB (fat) one.

His just overheated and mine still works like a charm (although mine does produce a lot of heat so I keep it in a cool area). All my PS2 games look way better on the PS3 then they ever did on the PS2. Remember the 60GB PS3s use hardware emulation rather than the software emulation in the ones produced after so it is entirely compatible with all the PS2 library.

I'm not sure where you get your information Cheeko but I think you must have been misled. I would recommend anyone who has a PS2 library and wants to upgrade to the PS3 should greatly consider this deal. You won't be disappointed.

Thx!!! I so wish I had the money. Newegg preferred credit offeres $20 off $100 6-12 months no interest. Too bad I just used it to buy a new HDTV , since my old one shit the bed. Olevia, when the heck they go outta business?

[quote name='tossin']If you have a PS2, you might as well just get a new (i.e. stable and under warranty) PS3. Yes, the 60GB's got some nice perks, but they're really not that important. 99% of the time, you'll use your PS3 to play PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

I'd basically agree with that, as someone who's owned a 60GB for 3 years. The PS2 backwards compatibility was great but these days there are just so many damned PS3 games out there (not to mention the occasional 360 game or yearly game worth playing on Wii) that there really isn't a lot of time for PS2. If you're still playing a ton of PS2 games it might be worth grabbing one for convenience as well as better visual quality on an HDTV.

But otherwise I'd really recommend the Slim, it's smaller, quieter, and draws a lot less power. Plus, the 60GB has a tendency to develop issues with the cooling system that make them extremely loud, an issue that you can probably deal with partially by replacing the thermal compound but likely won't be able to fix entirely.

[quote name='ninja dog']that's super old. They fixed it since then.[/QUOTE]
lmao how could they have fixed it if the systems they sell no longer are Backward compatible ...lmao k whatever im not posting no more things on this thread its just getting too ridiculous ...got a good laugh though...omfg that was funny

I'd buy one but I've been hearing a lot of stories lately from 60GB owners about their systems dying. Just going to stick with my slim 120GB + PStwo but would love to have a BC PS3 someday. PS2 games look like shit on hdtv's if they're not upscaled.

Worst part about these old PS3s (currently have a 60gb from launch) is the amount of heat they generate. Seriously, it's ridiculous, especially in a small room such as mine. When I have the money (or this thing breaks down), I'll definitely pick up a slim.

[quote name='Xiemos']Worst part about these old PS3s (currently have a 60gb from launch) is the amount of heat they generate. Seriously, it's ridiculous, especially in a small room such as mi[/QUOTE]

That could be a good or bad thing. Good if it's winter, bad if it's summer. :p

[quote name='cheko']im pretty positive its not ymmv, ps3 slim is bout 300$ everywhere plus Backward compatibility is over rated ....if you google it the BW compat. was not as good as playing it on the ps2 console. The firmware sux and is not BW for every game.The ps2 chip in the first gens ps3's does allow for full BW compat. but the graphix are degraded ...dunno if its because we expect more now due to the 1080p/720p res. [/QUOTE]Did you ever have one? The BC was better than the original PS2, for the simple fact that it upscaled the games, making them look much more appealing on an HDTV.

[quote name='cheko']lmao how could they have fixed it if the systems they sell no longer are Backward compatible ...lmao k whatever im not posting no more things on this thread its just getting too ridiculous ...got a good laugh though...omfg that was funny[/QUOTE]

You DID notice that in the very Youtube clip you linked, the DESCRIPTION says "FIXED in firmware 1.50!
PS1/PS2 upscaling in 1.80!", and "The glitch shown in this video only occurs on firmwares earlier than 1.5! ", right? What does the fact that newer PS3s don't have BC have to do with Sony tweaking firmware 3 years ago? Or, for that matter, your Microsoft certification in whatever have to do with knowing anything about PS3s?

The fact is that a BC 20/60gb PS3 can play PS2 games that look better on HDTVs than PS2s. That's pretty much confirmed by everyone.

(and hell, I can really step into it and ask what streaming service provides HD content at a level equivalent to Bluray-- I'm talking both bitrate AND audio quality [delivering DTS-HD MA, for example])

There is definitely some question about what the reliability situation for older PS3s really is; yes, there are some failing but it still seems well under the 360's level. And in the right circumstances that BC can be really important, especially if your TV has limited inputs or you don't have space to keep both systems hooked up.

Havok83 & Justin42--->
um yea i have owned one hence the 20gb reference...and um what does it matter if it was patch when the only systems that are backward compatible can only be found pre owned or refurbished ... it not like they are selling them new and upscaling don't mean anything they have dvd players that upscale dvds and they still look like crap ...o and btw if you don't know where to get blu-ray quality downloads such as mkv formats and so forth than this conversation should not be happening lol ...don't waste your time posting response's to my post i'm no longer responding to this nonsense this is all a joke...go enjoy you backward comp. lmao

p.s. if you need to know why the my Microsoft cert. and affiliation has anything to do with ps3 ...it does not, it was a response to anotheir post questioning Microsoft's motives for not going blu-ray how about reading a little before you come at me with all this nonsense looking to pick a fight. The 60gb simply isn't worth it but if you want it go get it. Again it brings it back to the same point dont buy a freaking ps3 basing on blu-ray playback and backward compatibility, buy it for what it was intending for "new gen gaming". people are really missing the point

I have to admit, when I first got a ps3 I was using it for backwards compatibility all the time. Now though... there are so many good, high quality ps3 games that I hardly ever bring out any of my ps2 games.

I'm not sure why anyone would bash the ps3's blu-ray playback. It is still considered one of the better blu-ray players, is it not? Correct me if I'm wrong.

eh I still play some old ps2 rpgs, I have my slim ps2 for this, using the HDTV set-up disc I was able to output 480p to 720p depending on the game

Wireless controllers. PS3 has 'em, PS2 doesn't. The upscaling is nice for most games, and minimizing the number of components in your home theater is convenient; but for me the single factor that makes me glad the I picked up a 60gig when they were discontinued is the Dual Shock 3. I used the Logitech wireless controllers for a while. They're a great substitute for the Dual Shock 2, but not quite as good as the genuine Dual Shock style controller for my hands (I'm looking at you D-pad).

People always bring up the picture quality issue, but it seems like nobody bothers to test it themselves. My old TV had a crap scaler on the component inputs, so if I played a 480i PS2 game on PS2 over component, I'd get jaggies like with the PS3 prior to Firmware 1.5. Using the PS3 on HDMI or PS2 on S-video for PS2 games- no jaggies. Few people seem to understand that when your TV has a native resolution of 1080p, all video input that's not 1080p will be scaled (and maybe de-interlaced). So if you're playing Final Fantasy X over HDMI, the PS3 will deinterlace it to 480p (since PS3 can't output 480i over HDMI), then it'll be upscaled to 1080p by your PS3, your A/V receiver, or your TV. Blanket statements like "ps2 gamez on ps3 lookz liek shit" based on some internet video is just stupid.

I for one am still very much sold on the idea of getting a BC PS3 (and it sounds like the 60GB would be a solid choice since it does h/w emulation and can play more (all?) PS2 games. Again, need to research this myself when I get some more money (hopefully won't be too hard to find one at that point)).

As for WHY I want B/C, it ought to be obvious, but convenience. We currently have a receiver which can't output a component input through HDMI, meaning I have to switch the receiver and the TV to play a PS2 game. The cords on our controllers are too short; we could get extensions but it would be nicer to just use a PS3 controller (which I am assuming would work with PS2 games?). The component cable we had running from the receiver doesn't reach our new TV (the inputs are farther away now), so the PS2 has been delegated to simply sitting on the floor by the TV and using the TV speakers instead of surround sound. We will most likely get a new component cable from monoprice, not a big deal, but an HDMI from the PS3 would solve this no problem (our HDMI cables are plenty long enough). Not to mention the up-scaling and such that it would provide.

I have a near launch PS2 fat right now, which seems to have a broken optical port. I am considering replacing it with a PS2 slim simply for that and less noise etc, although putting that money to a PS3 makes a lot more sense.

B/C isn't for everyone and granted I will be getting a PS3 to play next gen games on, but since there are honestly very few I really want that aren't on 360, I would like to have my library of PS2 games available as well.

As to why MS is not on board with BD, I agree it's because they are squarely at odds with Sony. They WERE backing HD-DVD, for those that don't remember, and the BD coalition or whatever won. MS then had to change their game plan - get behind a format alongside long-time rival Sony, or focus on downloadable media - which can be much more cost effective a strategy as it a) takes no physical shelf space, no transportation, just cost to house the data and transfer it - and - b) they can keep a much tighter reign on their media (which ought to be yours once you buy it). I have never bought TV shows or anything from MS so I am not sure how tight that reign is, but I can guarantee that I can't take said media to a friends house without jumping through some hoops (be it re-downloading and probably having to use a computer to watch it or using a 360). I'd much rather have a disc I can bring with me, play anywhere I have a BD player available, and has very high resolution picture and sound.

(Don't want a PS3 for BD btw, have a player in my computer).

[quote name='icedrake523']Which means waiting until Black Friday.

YMM[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I hate to wait till November but this year it was a Wii, next year hopefully a killer PS3 deal :lol:

I have one of these models and I love it. I play ps2 games on it all of the time, and they do look better. They may have taken bc out of newer models, but they fixed the jaggies on the older models with a firmware update a long time ago. I remember being quite happy when that took place. The video that is posted is quite old.

Besides, if you want the games to look identical, simply run the system using composite cables. It will run in 480i just like it used to. It will look exactly the same in standard definition TVs (looks pretty bad on HD TVs though). Still, I don't know why anyone would, since, as mentioned, the problem has been fixed.

[quote name='jamesesdad']As far as your argument that it would be better played on a ps2, this is also factually inaccurate. The ps3 has whats called an 'upscaler' in it, so when you play dvds, or ps1/2 games that don't run at HD resolutions the PS3 upscales them to HD, and makes them look much nicer than if they were being played on a ps3. Now initially there was some software issues with the ps3 and games didnt render properly with antialiasing, and looked more jaggy then on ps2, but this issue has long since been adressed, and all games look much better running on a ps3. about 90% of the games on ps2 aren't even progressive scan compatible meaning they don't even run at 480p, so if you have an HDTV, the backwards compatibly combined with the upscaler in the ps3 means you actually get a much sharper clearer image than you would have if you had played it on a ps2....[/QUOTE]

You must have some pretty fucking awesome rose tinted glasses. Yes, the jagged edges were fixed with the firmware update, but let's be real, PS1/2 games look terrible on PS3. I bought a 60GB PS3 the day they dropped the price to $500 and I've probably spent a good 200+ hours playing PS2 games on it (GTA San Andreas, Zone of the Enders 2, Jak & Daxter, Metal Gear Solid 3, etc.) since I didn't have room in my college apartment for the PS2 and the PS3.

Yes, it looks better that using PS2 component cables on my 40" HDTV. However, that's not saying much because the grainy picture still looks like crap. PS2 games weren't meant to be played on a big HDTV and nothing the PS3 is doing will change that. I couldn't recommend for anyone to get a refurbished 60GB over a PS3 slim since the backwards compatibility is not worth it. Play the PS2 games on a PS2 with a decent SD set and let the PS3 play PS3 games.

"Sharper cleaner image"... please.

Have you actually played a PS2 game on PS3?

[quote name='cheko']lmao k whatever im not posting no more things on this thread its just getting too ridiculous ...got a good laugh though...omfg that was funny[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cheko']don't waste your time posting response's to my post i'm no longer responding to this nonsense this is all a joke...go enjoy you backward comp. lmao [/QUOTE]

All right. We get it. You laugh a lot, you post old news, and you're not responding. Go away.

I have a launch 60 GB PS3 and can confirm it runs quite hot and loud. In fact it ran loud even when it was new. I remember reading about how quiet people said it was and wondered if mine was somehow defective. Anyway, it still runs fine and has proven quite reliable over the past 3 and a half years. I do occasionally think about picking up another blu-ray player (or a slim PS3) and using my launch unit only as a HD PS2 player and saving wear and tear on it. Maybe someday...

[quote name='ninja dog']that's super old. They fixed it since then.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I can't believe that was even posted.

Oh, I forgot to mention, another benefit of the backward compatible PS3 is unlimited virtual memory cards stored on your hard drive. This comes in handy when you have 100+ PS2 games like I do. Oh and also the faster loading times is another added benefit.

My two cents, I have owned 2 40g, 2 60g, and 1 slim. The first 4 stopped working all being disc read errors DRE. I traded my 40 to get the 2nd 60 and a few months later it did it, so I got the SLIM, I do like that the slim is much quieter, can't even hear it, and of course it is smaller. I fixed my 2nd 60g so the kids could play some ps2 games they still liked, but I found that when I had my 60g I never played any ps2 games so it was better to get the slim.

I don't play mine enough for it too overheat, but its been keeping the dust away from other areas of the rooms since the dust appears to be attracted to it.

[quote name='autopiloton']\

"Sharper cleaner image"... please.

Have you actually played a PS2 game on PS3?[/QUOTE]

yeah I have, and there was a improvement on my 32 inch hd television. Have you played a ps2 game with component cables and actually compared it to the game running on the same tv through a BC ps3? something tells me probably not. Just because the games don't look great any more doesn't mean the image displayed won't be sharper, and cleaner. The simple fact you are using a all digital HDMI cable over an analog component cable would offer visible benefits, will the ps2 scale the image to fit a widescreen tv? I really doubt that as well.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Have you played a ps2 game with component cables and actually compared it to the game running on the same tv through a BC ps3? something tells me probably not.[/QUOTE]

Second paragraph, first sentence.

But since you didn't get the implication, yes, I have.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Just because the games don't look great any more doesn't mean the image displayed won't be sharper, and cleaner. The simple fact you are using a all digital HDMI cable over an analog component cable would offer visible benefits, will the ps2 scale the image to fit a widescreen tv? I really doubt that as well.[/QUOTE]

But it's not sharper and cleaner. It's blurry, grainy, and the colors look washed out. The upscaling makes the image look worse than it did on a standard definition television with s-video or component cables.

Better for a HDTV than a PS2 with component cables? Yes. Better in general? Not at all. PS2 games just are not made for large HDTVs. PS2 hooked to an HDTV with component cables looks awful, and the PS3 backwards compatibility pulls a lateral move by smoothing the jagged edges but making the image look terrible in other ways I mentioned above.

Buying a used or refurbished unit that's known to be less reliable for a feature that really isn't an improvement isn't something that I can recommend.

For those of you debating whether the PS3 or PS2 displays games better, it all depends on the TV. Does the PS3 have a better upscaler than your TV? Then the games will look better on a PS3. Does the TV have a better upscaler? Then the games will look better on a PS2 (or PS3 without HDMI).

I have a 60GB and would probably suggest getting a slim PS3 and a new PS2. The slim PS3 seems to run much quieter and cooler than the 60GB and it is MUCH cheaper to get a brand new slim PS3 and PS2 than it is to get just the 60GB new. I would not recommend getting a used system, since there is a higher chance it won't last as long as a new one. Just my 2c.

[quote name='autopiloton']Second paragraph, first sentence.

But since you didn't get the implication, yes, I have.

But it's not sharper and cleaner. It's blurry, grainy, and the colors look washed out. The upscaling makes the image look worse than it did on a standard definition television with s-video or component cables.

.[/QUOTE]
think you might be the one with those rose tinted glasses if you remember ps2 games looking anything but muddy, washed, out or grainy.

Just because you spent countless hours playing games on a backwards compatible system on a hdtv doesn't mean I should make an assumption that you have sat down and compared them back to back, and I still somehow doubt you actually did this.

Maybe its just my personal preference, but I think the games look significantly improved with scaling, and texture filtering. Clearly the unscaled version of the game looks significantly grainier in these screen shots comparing ff12 using the different filtering and scaling options. Furthermore, I don't see a loss in any kind of color saturation, only an improvement due to full screen antialiasing, and minor texture smoothing. Keep in mind these are all taken off a ps3, so it would actually look worse running through a ps2 with component. These are merely to show the difference with and without scaling and smoothing.

No scaling no texture smoothing
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/infernosoul1/normaloff.jpg

Full scaling, full texture smoothing
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/infernosoul1/fullsmoothing.jpg

My argument was never that it was worthwhile to buy a used ps3 over a new one (whilst yours seems to be that there is no worthwhile improvement to having the scaler because no one should want to play ps2 games on a hdtv), my point was only that if you wanted to play your ps2 games on a HDTV they would look better with a 60gb than if you used a ps2. If you honestly think there is no improvement between those 2 images, then maybe you need to look into getting glasses.

[quote name='whotheheck']For those of you debating whether the PS3 or PS2 displays games better, it all depends on the TV. Does the PS3 have a better upscaler than your TV? Then the games will look better on a PS3. Does the TV have a better upscaler? Then the games will look better on a PS2 (or PS3 without HDMI).

I have a 60GB and would probably suggest getting a slim PS3 and a new PS2. The slim PS3 seems to run much quieter and cooler than the 60GB and it is MUCH cheaper to get a brand new slim PS3 and PS2 than it is to get just the 60GB new. I would not recommend getting a used system, since there is a higher chance it won't last as long as a new one. Just my 2c.[/QUOTE]

How is it cheaper to get a new slim ps3, and a ps2 and a memory card, then to get this 259.99 60 gb? Once again not arguing for or against buying a used system, but the only argument that seems to hold up is that its used....so it might break.

bread's done
Back