Refurbished Wii U on Groupon with Nintendoland

Is it true that you can't claim the freebie from Mario kart 8 if you have bought a refurbish Wii U? Due to the fact that is doesn't come with the Nintendo points code for the deluxe console.

What?  No.  

Just make sure to link the eShop to your Club Nintendo account before buying it in the eShop if you're trying to buy a digital version.

I think I just realized that this doesn't come with Motion Plus. How do you play games for the original Wii? Does the Gamepad function like a Wiimote?

I'm seriously considering getting a Wii U but the controller aspect of it has me confused. I know the gamepad that it comes with can function as a controller, but what else works? I see Wiimotes from the original Wii, classic controllers, pro versions of these... do they all work as controllers in all games? And is there still a lot of stupid wagging motions needed for Wii U games like there were for the Wii?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously considering getting a Wii U but the controller aspect of it has me confused. I know the gamepad that it comes with can function as a controller, but what else works? I see Wiimotes from the original Wii, classic controllers, pro versions of these... do they all work as controllers in all games? And is there still a lot of stupid wagging motions needed for Wii U games like there were for the Wii?
Wii Remote Plus Controllers work, Wii U Pro controllers work, Nunchuks work, and the Original Classic Controller works but be warned the controls are wacky as hell because they are meant to be replaced with the Pro Controller.

Not a lot of games require motion controls at all any more. Pretty much all of them first party wise push you to use the gamepad or a pro controller.

Wii Remote Plus Controllers work, Wii U Pro controllers work, Nunchuks work, and the Original Classic Controller works but be warned the controls are wacky as hell because they are meant to be replaced with the Pro Controller.

Not a lot of games require motion controls at all any more. Pretty much all of them first party wise push you to use the gamepad or a pro controller.
Thanks for the response. Definitely makes the Wii U more desirable but it seems I should probably buy some pro controllers if I do get one.

bread's done
Back