Regarding the MS points being converted to real money.

AshesofWake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I didn't find this brought up anywhere in the forums, so apologies in advance if I missed it. So it looks like my Xbox has updated the points to real currency yesterday when I turned it on. Which is fine whatever. But I got an email right after saying that points have been converted to dollars and in that email it says that the amount deposited today will expire in one year. Um. Am I reading that right? Has anybody seen that in their emails? It says right after that any points deposited after today will not expire. So basically the 50 dollars on my account will go away in one year if I don't decide to use it from what I just understood.

Is this confirmed as legitimate?

cant confirm anything, but i believe that is what the rumor has been. part of the anti xbox PR tour microsoft is currently running.

They may very well change their mind before the expiration time, but yes.  Any points currently sitting in your account will be converted and expire at some point, any point cards that you redeem after the conversion will be immediately converted to cash but never expire.

There's been some talk about Bing 100-point codes expiring a week after redemption due to them being promo codes. (people in the latest beta have already had their points converted to money and had their bing points practically stolen from them)

You should easily be able to find $50 worth of content to buy either from the existing XBLA marketplace or whatever will be released in the first 8 months of XB1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I mean I can see myself spending the 50 bucks within a year, but I just found that to be kind of odd. But I think I have more concern over getting some point cards and adding them, and not being sure if that original 50 was being used for content and have it all of a sudden disappear a year from now. 

There's been some talk about Bing 100-point codes expiring a week after redemption due to them being promo codes. (people in the latest beta have already had their points converted to money and had their bing points practically stolen from them)
Wow are you serious? I just put in 100 points and have no intention of using it anytime soon.

I did find it strange that the 100 points transfered into 1.50 instead of 1.25 like it should be. Maybe Xbox new price scheme only adds points in 50 cent increments?

It's absolutely true.  Since there's legislation to prevent gift card expiration there's probably a lawsuit to be had here if someone had the initiative.

I'm sitting on a ton of points thanks to Target that I doubt I'll be using anytime soon.

... I have more concern over getting some point cards and adding them, and not being sure if that original 50 was being used for content and have it all of a sudden disappear a year from now.
I don't think Microsoft is as evil as credit card companies :) Reminds me of the old CC scam:

Cash advance rate of 21% while you're at your introductory purchase rate of 1.9%.

Charge $500 of purchases and do a $100 cash advance.

Make payments of $100 monthly and it goes towards the 1.9% until there's nothing left but the 21% cash advance to pay.

Keep making new purchases and never pay off the 21% eating away at the back end.

They've been properly sued or otherwise taken care of, but some still exist. New law is pretty much anything past the minimum payment goes towards the highest interest now.

There's a way to actually check on the expiration dates, if applicable, of your points. They've always had that implemented in the system but didn't really enforce it. Same with expiration dates on Gold trial codes.\\

Best way to avoid it would be to simply hold onto any new point cards until you use up your current reserve. Ever since my account was FIFA-hacked, I never store excess points just in case something bad/dumb happens.

7TH: since you're a beta guinea pig, you should be able to look at your moneys in your account and have it show you when specific amounts will be expiring. I think the Bing thing (and some losing all of their points) was just the fault of it being Beta. Sometimes I wonder if people realize that Alpha/Beta are meant to work out the things that can (and will) go wrong rather than just early access...

Just looked and it says "$1.50 USD of your account balance is set to expire on 8/3/2013". Nothing about the rest of my points expiring in a year though. Great, now i need to find something to buy. Next time im just going to save my bing point codes and use them all at once when i know what i want to buy.

EDIT:
Im changing my bing rewards goal to amazon 5 dollar gift card. This way i can save up to 20 dollars and buy a 1600 points card or even a PSN card.

Good to know about the BING points, although, I save for Amazon anyways.

i think I will have $100+ when they are converted.  I'm saving for some X1 full games....maybe BF4 or CoD or Madden.  I suppose I should use it on a game I will never trade in :)

It's only for beta users. Still shows as points on xbox.com and everyone else, but that email I received after it converted my points was what I was referring to. 

I still have 600 points sitting in my account and a good chunk of that is Bing points. I know I added 100 points from Bing the other day.

Oh god. Did anybody notice that on Xbox.com you can't buy anything that is based in points? I just tried to get the Citadel expansion for ME3 and it says I don't have enough points and there's no option on the screen to change to money. So now I have to do all my purchases through the console I guess. Not debilitating, just annoying. 

It's only for beta users. Still shows as points on xbox.com and everyone else, but that email I received after it converted my points was what I was referring to.
Oooh. Well I hope they get it out of beta and convert my points soon. I have 1590 and I'm hoping they round up! :)

If it's like PSN, they will charge your $5 and add that credit to your account, rather than letting you just add the 12.5 cents. So, yes. :)

Hmmm i didnt look at it that way. But yeah they should round it up, i know they did that to mine. Had around 23 and change and when it converted it went to 24 dollars even.

bread's done
Back