Reinstall windows vista on my same pc if i Upgrade? Also what happens to my games

s2k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Okay long story short I built my computer and I purchased an OEM version of windows vista home prem. I Got in on the intel discount for the i7, xso58 mobo, and windows ultimate for 289 and Im obviously going to get rid of my cpu mobo and ram (e8400, asus p5q pro, 4gb ram) and install this new system. Im useing the same hard drive so can i reuse my windows vista home prem and not use the new ultimate im going to get. Id prefer to sell ultimate since to me there's no point in using ultimate over prem. Also what will happen to all my games i have installed on my pc? I have over 20 titles (all purchased instores and some on steam) I have the disks and all cd keys but wont it recognize this is a different computer and it has been activated once already or will they install correctly?

I am not sure I am 100% following you. But if you are upgrading your windows version, and are using the same hard ware, you shouldn't have an issue.

If I recall, the license for OEM version of Windows limits you to the first motherboard you install it on. You could have trouble activating the license on your new system.

To follow the licensing agreement, if you get a new (different) motherboard, you need a new copy of Windows.

(Retail licenses don't have this upgrade restriction.)

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/01/8730.ars

your going to get rid of the e8400, p5q pro and 4gb ram? - that would be the base for a solid rig, it almost makes sense to buy another harddrive and case and sell your old system for $400

As for the games, steam doesn't care, you probably want to back up any save games, but all your steam games can easily be redownloaded- the games are tied to your steam account, not a computer, or mobo, or windows account

as for the other games, it depends, most games that have activation limits are at least 3, and companies are fairly open to supplying a new key if you contact them and explain the situation. I don't know if you have to re-install any retail games or applications, but without knowing which specific games you have, I would be surprised if any have problems reinstalling. Some games, like a few ea games, have deactivations which you would want to run beforehand and then re-install.

My game list is kinda extensive. Ill just uninstall each game then reformat the hard drive then sell windows vista home prem+e8400+4gb ram+asus p5q pro deluxe in an ebay auction together.

Anyone looking to buy my bundle becaus emy i7 should be here any day now.

[quote name='s2k']My game list is kinda extensive. Ill just uninstall each game then reformat the hard drive then sell windows vista home prem+e8400+4gb ram+asus p5q pro deluxe in an ebay auction together.

Anyone looking to buy my bundle becaus emy i7 should be here any day now.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to uninstall any of your games, unless you have certain games with the Securom copy protection that counts how many times you install it. Bioshock was the most notable game that did this. In the case of these games, you have to use the developer's specific uninstall program to make sure they don't deduct anything from your install tally.

I believe that some Steam games still use this copy protection.

Also, PM'ed about your bundle.

bread's done
Back