relatively cheap hdmi switcher

Is monoprice a trustworthy site? I can't believe how cheap it is there.

I could pick up the 3x1 monoprice one and some extra cables for well under $100.

Bestbuy has a new 2x1 splitter it is made by dynex...i can't seem to find it on the website...not sure if it was 100 or 80 but definitely not more than 100. might take it look if your around there

kinda off topic, but if you are going to pick up surround sound, some new models come with hdmi switching built in.

and yes, I vouch for monoprice. the best of both worlds: cheap and legit.

[quote name='englishsandwich']kinda off topic, but if you are going to pick up surround sound, some new models come with hdmi switching built in.

and yes, I vouch for monoprice. the best of both worlds: cheap and legit.[/QUOTE]

Most of the ones out now only switch audio not Video, and they don't support "hd" audio formats yet.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Most of the ones out now only switch audio not Video, and they don't support "hd" audio formats yet.[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about A/V receivers? Because I've never seen one just switch only audio with HDMI. Actually most of the ones on AV receivers are a passthrough, they switch the audio and video signal between (usually) two inputs. The major downside is many of the cheaper ones don't process the audio at all (hence passthrough), making it kind of useless for surround sound. Also to find a decent receiver with HDMI capabilities you're easily going to top $500-600 dollars, and KFoster is right that almost zero of the support TrueHD audio (though unless you are a big audiophile chances are you won't care).

Bottomline OP, stick with the Monoprice switcher, it's fantastic. I was even able to program the remote signals into my learning remote (that'll vary depending on remotes you use).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Are we talking about A/V receivers? Because I've never seen one just switch only audio with HDMI. Actually most of the ones on AV receivers are a passthrough, they switch the audio and video signal between (usually) two inputs. The major downside is many of the cheaper ones don't process the audio at all (hence passthrough), making it kind of useless for surround sound. Also to find a decent receiver with HDMI capabilities you're easily going to top $500-600 dollars, and KFoster is right that almost zero of the support TrueHD audio (though unless you are a big audiophile chances are you won't care).

Bottomline OP, stick with the Monoprice switcher, it's fantastic. I was even able to program the remote signals into my learning remote (that'll vary depending on remotes you use).[/QUOTE]

Your correct! I remember reading about some of the HDMI receivers thinking to myself well thats dumb why HAVE HDMI if I still have to run an Audio Cable.

bread's done
Back